OT: LeBron, good at basketball?

TEvans4Three

OUHoops 2023 Bracket Champion
Reaction score
Here is a space to argue the GOAT (MJ), LeBron vs old players. LEBRON as a father figure. LeBron vs Wilt. Lebron vs. His old high school team.

Would Lebron win a hot dog eating contest?

But seriously, please debate all NBA GOAT, era vs era, and NBA players here... Please.

This is so one-sided it’s not really much of a comparison.

I think LeBron probably would be top 100 of all time. Obviously not on the same level as guys like Laimbeer or Rodman, probably slots in behind someone like Maurice Cheeks who played back when men were men and floppers were not allowed in society.

He's probably not big enough, strong enough, or fast enough to compete in previous eras where the guards were slower, smaller, and weaker.

Celtics Great Bob Cousy Dribbling - Boston Celtics History

How could Lebron possibly compete in an era with physical specimens like this?!

Lebron certainly fillls up the state sheet but that’s not the whole story. This always happens when comparing players from different eras. People look at stats and think that’s the argument. It’s not.

MJ was the greatest of all time. No argument

Bill Russel, Wilt, Bird, Magic, Kareem were giants of the game at the height of the golden era in the NBA. Shaq and Hakeem were dominant post players that don’t really exist anymore.

Kobe was as close to MJ as anyone has ever been. He took games over and was the definition of game changer, far superior to anything Lebron has done.

If you swapped MJ and LeBron... Into each other's eras and bodies (freaky Friday style) who would be better?

Just a fun thought experiment

Lebron certainly fillls up the state sheet but that’s not the whole story. This always happens when comparing players from different eras. People look at stats and think that’s the argument. It’s not.

Bill Russel, Wilt, Bird, Magic, Kareem were giants of the game at the height of the golden era in the NBA. Shaq and Hakeem were dominant post players that don’t really exist anymore.

Kobe was as close to MJ as anyone has ever been. He took games over and was the definition of game changer, far superior to anything Lebron has done.
We get it, you don’t like LeBron.

Here is a space to argue the GOAT (MJ), LeBron vs old players. LEBRON as a father figure. LeBron vs Wilt. Lebron vs. His old high school team.

Would Lebron win a hot dog eating contest?

But seriously, please debate all NBA GOAT, era vs era, and NBA players here... Please.
That wasn’t the argument…but ok

You realize we're talking about Lebron and not TMac, right? He's not just the all-time leading scorer -- he's the all-time leader in playoff wins. Pretending he's putting up empty stats is beyond silly.

You realize we're talking about Lebron and not TMac, right? He's not just the all-time leading scorer -- he's the all-time leader in playoff wins. Pretending he's putting up empty stats is beyond silly.
I said he’s a great player but that greatness is overstated when he played on a “super” team and the league props him up so much.

He’s not better than MJ or Kobe and his impact on the game is substantially less than those that came before him.

I said he’s a great player but that greatness is overstated when he played on a “super” team and the league props him up so much.

He’s not better than MJ or Kobe and his impact on the game is substantially less than those that came before him.

You won't find a bigger Kobe fan than me, but there is no question Lebron is a better player.

His Cleveland team was starting a nearly 40 year old Richard Jefferson. Of the title teams Jordan, Kobe, and Lebron had, that was far and away the worst supporting cast. They also beat the best opponent. Jordan and Kobe never had to knock off a dynasty like the Warriors.

You won't find a bigger Kobe fan than me, but there is no question Lebron is a better player.

His Cleveland team was starting a nearly 40 year old Richard Jefferson. Of the title teams Jordan, Kobe, and Lebron had, that was far and away the worst supporting cast. They also beat the best opponent. Jordan and Kobe never had to knock off a dynasty like the Warriors.
Your opinion is about as useful as a poopy flavored lollipop.

You are wrong.

If I was picking a Closer, for sure it would be Kobe #1 for me then MJ. If I were picking a guy to make the right basketball play, and always looking to get his guys going it would LBJ. Kobe patterned his game after MJ and he was as close as anyone to matching MJ's will to win. Lebron is certainly the more complete player, and what he is doing at 39 is insane. I don't get the league propping him up as a good argument. Every era had its stars featured by the NBA. Magic/Bird were propped up, and both had SUPER super teams. MJ was the face of the NBA for over a decade.

You couldn't enjoy anything NBA-related if you disliked him. Lebron became the face of the NBA as Kobe faded, and his era is extended because of what he is still able to do. If I had to rank them, I would say MJ is the GOAT because of the rings. Kobe is a close 2nd for me, but I'm also Laker-biased. LBJ would be my third, but I can understand arguments for him being the GOAT. I also think Kareem gets overlooked, but again I'm biased in favor of Lakers.

Personally, I have LBJ at number 4. Hard to overlook the worst performance in Finals history by a star player ever against the Mavs.

A few reasons why I use this example:

1. His team had 3 HOFers on it and still lost to Dirk and a bunch of old guys and Tyson Chandler.
2. He was outscored by Jayson Terry in the series (Terry never made an All-Star team).
3. He scored 8 points in 46 minutes in game 4. EIGHT FREAKING POINTS.

Longevity wise, not many are touching him. But to continue to compare him to MJ when MJ still has a full HOF career over him accolade wise is, well, disrespectful to MJ.

Back