OU commit Jalon Moore

Re: Ou commit Jalon Moore

bro....give it up. There are a few on here that think if we signed a 5'5 guy he'd be "on the rise".

OU bball is in a tough place right now. All I know is Uzan is pretty good. Besides that...nothing else. We'll see.

Fair point. I really should just accept the fact that whoever we sign, people will spin it in a way that makes it sound like we just signed one of the best guys in the portal.

I doubt he's one of the best guys in the portal, but he's got some size, seems to be athletic, and has played D1 ball. Maybe a fresh start at OU will excel his development.

Does this signing excite me?....no. But all we can do is see what happens when he gets on the floor. Maybe he ends up being a really good "glue" type of guy or conversely, maybe he only plays 5 minutes a game. No way of knowing at this point.

The only thing I care about is that he wants to be a Sooner, so welcome! I guess I’m confused as to why there are so many replies in numerous threads comparing guys to Jalen Hill? The guy gave us four years, wanted to and went elsewhere. I like Hill, but he is gone.

The only thing I care about is that he wants to be a Sooner, so welcome! I guess I’m confused as to why there are so many replies in numerous threads comparing guys to Jalen Hill? The guy gave us four years, wanted to and went elsewhere. I like Hill, but he is gone.

Because it's an OU basketball message board and we are trying to assess how good the team will be, so comparing Moore and Soares to the guy they are replacing is very much relevant.

I keep reading about guys talking about the 4 and we need a real 4..

just some of the Big 12 (last years starters or this years projected depth chart at PF)

Kansas - 6'8" 225
TX Tech - 6'8" 205
Texas - 6'9" 225
TCU - 6'7" 215
Houston - 6'7" 230
Baylor 6'8" 235
Cincy - 6'6" 230
UCF - 6'7" 206
BYU - 6'6" 240

Moore - 6'7" 210

I agree he doesn't have the 3 point game but if you want a TRADITIONAL 4 he wouldn't be taking many threes...but he is very athletic. Runs the floor...rebounds pretty well. He defends. He has a lot of the characteristics we need.

Let's not pretend college basketball is full of 6'10" PFs today. Moore doesn't have to be a back to the basket type. LEts just hope Moser puts him in position to be successful.

just some of the Big 12 (last years starters or this years projected depth chart at PF)

Kansas - 6'8" 225
TX Tech - 6'8" 205
Texas - 6'9" 225
TCU - 6'7" 215
Houston - 6'7" 230
Baylor 6'8" 235
Cincy - 6'6" 230
UCF - 6'7" 206
BYU - 6'6" 240

Moore - 6'7" 210

I agree he doesn't have the 3 point game but if you want a TRADITIONAL 4 he wouldn't be taking many threes...but he is very athletic. Runs the floor...rebounds pretty well. He defends. He has a lot of the characteristics we need.

Let's not pretend college basketball is full of 6'10" PFs today. Moore doesn't have to be a back to the basket type. LEts just hope Moser puts him in position to be successful.

Well done, NCSooner!

I’m not surprised that only three players on your list (KU, Texas and Baylor) have the size to qualify as power forwards. The Tech player is tall enough, he’s just a little light in the britches.

Well done, NCSooner!

I’m not surprised that only three players on your list (KU, Texas and Baylor) have the size to qualify as power forwards. The Tech player is tall enough, he’s just a little light in the britches.

KU started Jalen wilson 6'5.75 in barefoot 6'7 in shoes at the 4 ..

they started a shorter player at the 5 ..

KU started Jalen wilson 6'5.75 in barefoot 6'7 in shoes at the 4 ..

they started a shorter player at the 5 ..

Trust me, I don’t buy what the Moser haters are selling! We both know that OU will be just fine if we don’t sign a power forward that fits their idea of a “perfect four mold.”

I think Jalen Moore brings a lot to the table. He may not be a threat to score from behind the arc right now. But I don’t think he will take plays off to watch his teammates go after rebounds and loose balls.

If he had a better track record of making shots from deep, I would be thrilled with seeing him as our starting four. I hope he will work his tail off this summer to improve on that part of his game. His shot from the perimeter I saw on video is not that bad. Time will tell if his work in the off season will pay dividends!

Trust me, I don’t buy what the Moser haters are selling! We both know that OU will be just fine if we don’t sign a power forward that fits their idea of a “perfect four mold.”

I think Jalen Moore brings a lot to the table. He may not be a threat to score from behind the arc right now. But I don’t think he will take plays off to watch his teammates go after rebounds and loose balls.

If he had a better track record of making shots from deep, I would be thrilled with seeing him as our starting four. I hope he will work his tail off this summer to improve on that part of his game. His shot from the perimeter I saw on video is not that bad. Time will tell if his work in the off season will pay dividends!

Will we be just as fine as the last two, glorious seasons?

There’s a lot of desperation in this thread. I think moser is in real trouble of being fired for 3 straight seasons of missing the tourney. Have we upgraded enough to get out of last place? I’m not so sure. I guess we’ll find out this coming season. I’m not holding my breath.

We weren't "fine" last season so I don't know where all this confidence is coming from

Will we be just as fine as the last two, glorious seasons?

What was so wrong about season 1?

Last year wasn’t good enough. Season 1 was definitely good enough for a 1st season at a non blue blood school. Much better than Lon or Capel did at ou.

I say if we make the NCAA tourney this season it's a big step up. If we are more athletic then we will have a better chance to win against mediocre teams that were more athletic, like OSU. No shade to them. I'm excited to see what happens this season because I think it will be pivotal for Moser. If this year is a tanker then I'm done with hoping he becomes something long-term for us.

Kansas - 6'8" 225
TX Tech - 6'8" 205
Texas - 6'9" 225
TCU - 6'7" 215
Houston - 6'7" 230
Baylor 6'8" 235
Cincy - 6'6" 230
UCF - 6'7" 206
BYU - 6'6" 240

Moore - 6'7" 210

LOL, why did you include the four new schools and not the other Big 12 schools?

And that 6'7 kid that played for Houston is going to be a top 10 pick in the NBA draft.

What about OSU? WVU? KSU? ISU?

KSU - 6'6" 230
OSU - 6'9" 198 (most of the year)
ISU - two guys in the 6'7-6"8 range that were 220-230
WVU - hard to nail down from quick glance

It's not JUST the size, but yes, Moore is on the small side compared to most of the competitive Big 12 last season. And all I've heard from this board all offseason is how we needed to get bigger/stronger/tougher. We damn sure didn't do that at the 4 spot. Not even close. PM went the other direction.

Per 40 minutes last year:

Jalen Hill: 11.8pts, 7.0 reb, 49.8 FG%
Jalon Moore: 14.8pts, 9.1 reb, 43.1 FG%

Jalon is obviously not anyone's first option or the most sought out guy in the portal. But he's going into his junior season with room to fill out frame, expand his role. He's not a finished product. Jalen Hill's production doubled when transitioning to a starting role, what's not to say that doesn't happen for Moore? What if he adds 10lbs of muscle to his frame in one offseason which is doable?

Last edited:

Per 40 minutes last year:

Jalen Hill: 11.8pts, 7.0 reb, 49.8 FG%
Jalon Moore: 14.8pts, 9.1 reb, 43.1 FG%

Jalon is obviously not anyone's first option or the most sought out guy in the portal. But he's going into his junior season with room to fill out frame, expand his role. He's not a finished product. Jalen Hill's production doubled when transitioning to a starting role, what's not to say that doesn't happen for Moore? What if he adds 10lbs of muscle to his frame in one offseason which is doable?

moore also is a much better shot blocker and has a better defensive rating ..

Hill was more efficient on O

LOL, why did you include the four new schools and not the other Big 12 schools?

And that 6'7 kid that played for Houston is going to be a top 10 pick in the NBA draft.

What about OSU? WVU? KSU? ISU?

KSU - 6'6" 230
OSU - 6'9" 198 (most of the year)
ISU - two guys in the 6'7-6"8 range that were 220-230
WVU - hard to nail down from quick glance

It's not JUST the size, but yes, Moore is on the small side compared to most of the competitive Big 12 last season. And all I've heard from this board all offseason is how we needed to get bigger/stronger/tougher. We damn sure didn't do that at the 4 spot. Not even close. PM went the other direction.

I thought that would be enough of a size sample for you to point out that one of your big complaints was nothing more than hand wringing. The size factor. IN one sentence you talk about Moore's size...then you point out how great we'd be at the 4 if Hill was back....someone points out their stats were not wildly different and you come up with some other complaint. Its like you are arguing just to argue.

Hill is an inch shorter than Moore and about 20 lbs heavier....Moore is more athletic (or looks to be on film). "but he isn't a starter at GA Tech" (he started about half their games) "well GA Tech was terrible" (but in the same breath talk about how terrible WE were).

Any time someone points out a positive or points out something that potentially could be positive you feel the need to interject a negative statement.

Totally new thread and I should have figured you'd come through. Congrats.

I don't think we can learn much about the future from comparing Hill and Moore's stats from last year, and I'm a big stats guy!
The context is so different between them. Much different level of competition, 4th year vs 2nd year players, established starter vs a player who's minutes dropped off mid season.

At minimum, Moore looks like a serviceable bench player at a position of need. We'll likely have more minutes to give if he flourishes. I would still like to see some more size with our last roster spot, though

I don't think we can learn much about the future from comparing Hill and Moore's stats from last year, and I'm a big stats guy!
The context is so different between them. Much different level of competition, 4th year vs 2nd year players, established starter vs a player who's minutes dropped off mid season.

At minimum, Moore looks like a serviceable bench player at a position of need. We'll likely have more minutes to give if he flourishes. I would still like to see some more size with our last roster spot, though

If he would come here you'll likely see Cam Spencer instead of more size.

Back