OU frontcourt vs. teams with versatile big guys

Fitzgerald/Gallon vs. Mike Singletary at Tech...
Fitzgerald/Gallon vs. James Anderson and Matt Pilgrim at OSU
Fitzgerald/Gallon vs. Laurence Bowers, Justin Safford, Keith Ramsey at MU
Fitzgerald/Gallon vs. Damion James at Texas
Fitzgerald/Gallon vs. Relphorde and Dufault at Colorado
Fitzgerald/Gallon vs. Craig Brackins, Marquis Gilstrap, Laron Dendy at ISU

TT: Singletary is a hard matchup. You'll see Wright on him.
Anderson and Pilgrim arent the worries for OSU, Moses is. Crock guards JA.
UT: James is a high scoring Moses. Johnson is equally tough for our guys.
CU: They suck
ISU: tough matuchups all the way around.
MU: They suck too! Ramsey's challenges wont be offensive, but hustle.

Our flexibility at those positions is definetely a sore spot for us. Tony Crocker's ability to battle in the post will affect us all year. I was suprised at how well Tony Crocker played. I did not think he would be able to play the four at spells. I'm still not completely sold, but I thought he played well. Ryan Wright was good. I came away feeling more suprised about what Wright and Crocker did than I did the first game with the Freshman. Some of the issues that we had against USM weren't neccessarily due to the versaytle bigs. Turner isn't versatyle. He's a poor mans Dejuan Blair. We let him go 5 for 5 with 4 offensive boards. Not acceptable.

I think it's just too early to tell IMO. Sure we can throw out some good discussion on the matter but no one knows yet how good Gallon or Fitz will be after several games under their belt. If the first game is any indication of how good Gallon and Fitz will be I'd say we'll win our fair share of matchups down low.

Currently? Or potentially?

Both. OU had guys in the past like Jason Yanish, Renzi Stone, Hootie Wylie, Jamel Haywood, the kid from Florida that got kiced off the team for smoking weed. Fitzgerald and Gallon are both top 100 recruits, I don't think any of those guys were. Gallon is a McDonald's AA, I know noone of those guys were McDonald's AA. Those guys all played and did an adequate job (although Heywood was not a big contributor).

OU needs someone with skillsets between the ranges of Tony Crocker and Ryan Wright. They had a guy like that last year, but he couldn't stay in school.

Name a player you thinking about other than Pattillo? Perhaps Selvy, but I honestly just believe that is how Sampson used Selvy (Selvy came to OU as a pretty big offensive threat from Juco).

What about Cade Davis? Why can't he become an inside guy like Selvy or Pattillo. Davis is a very good athlete. He has a big vertical, good hands, good hand-eye coordination, he is sport smart (doesn't make dumb decisions on the Court), he looks pretty strong and he is fairly quick. Maybe his being inside is a sign of things to come.

Name a player you thinking about other than Pattillo? Perhaps Selvy, but I honestly just believe that is how Sampson used Selvy (Selvy came to OU as a pretty big offensive threat from Juco).

What about Cade Davis? Why can't he become an inside guy like Selvy or Pattillo. Davis is a very good athlete. He has a big vertical, good hands, good hand-eye coordination, he is sport smart (doesn't make dumb decisions on the Court), he looks pretty strong and he is fairly quick. Maybe his being inside is a sign of things to come.

They kinda used cade like that the other night. He doesn't have Juan's wingspan or above the rim ability.

In response to the title of the thread, in a word, trouble.

They kinda used cade like that the other night. He doesn't have Juan's wingspan or above the rim ability.

What was Juan's vertical and what is Cade"s. I bet that are not all that different. Davis is an ahtlete. Coming out of high school the recruiting services said he could get to the rim but questioned his shooting. Quite frankly, I have been a bit confused to only see him shoot given the comments I read when he was recruited.

Back