Ou issues

sharp1

Reaction score
Do we ever wonder why our guy's dont get back on Defence?
No offensive balence, a guy will take a bad shot, a shot no one expected...no one gets back. We dribble with the intent on creating a shot for ourselves...no one looks for anyone. These guy's dont play for each other. If you watch the teams that beat us they share the ball, they play for one another. In the Zag game, we cut the lead, got the ball back...WW pennetrated, Bouldin came over to help...instead of kicking to Cade in the corner...Matts man, WW tried to force it up...matt stole the ball, they scored...game over

Now it's not everyone, just the ones with the ball in there hands...5 guys scoring 12 is better and more productive then 2 guys scoring 20...all day

We have trouble getting back on D after we make shots sometimes. Fact is our guys don't care about playing hard and running full speed.

I'm a little confused about the point you're trying to make. Are you saying our defensive woes are due to a lack of teamwork on the offensive end, and that players don't always hustle back on defense because someone threw up an ill-advised shot?

I would agree that we're giving up way too many easy buckets in transition. But, most of our breakdowns on defense are occurring in the half court, when the entire team is in position to prevent layups and wide open shots from the perimeter. That's definitely a team problem. But the best way to create shot opportunities for yourself and your teammates is to stop the other team from scoring by playing lock down defense and getting the ball back after a missed shot, steal or turnover.

I really don't have a problem with Willie (or anyone for that matter) forcing the action by penetrating the lane. I would rather see shots in close when there's a good chance the player will score or get fouled, than hurried shots from behind the arc where the percentages are 40% or less. This team is taking way too many threes. Those shots look good when they're going in. But, when our perimeter shooting goes cold and we compound the problem by playing poor defense, that's a surefire formula for losing to the majority of teams we're playing right now. This team had better wake up and realize that playing solid defense is the only thing you can depend on when your shots aren't falling. Slacking off on D, no matter what motivates it, will get you beat.

The question is, does this team have enough individual personal pride to overcome their differences and play together for a change? I'm not sure we'll learn anything from tonight's game. But you had better believe that question will be answered when we play a good Baylor team in Waco next Saturday.

In my opinion I think we are seeing the change in leadership by the players. Here is what I mean:

Last year OU's best player was the hardest worker and wanted the TEAM to win. This year I believe the best player is not the hardest worker and has more of a me attitude.

That is my opinion and could be wrong but that in my opinion is trickling down to the younger guys. They see how he works and they see it as how things are done. Last year, guys saw how Blake worked and wanted to be right there with him.

As a coach you see this and it drives you nuts. I have seen it this year and it can be very frustrating. It is a hard thing to change or break.

Just my .02

In my opinion I think we are seeing the change in leadership by the players. Here is what I mean:

Last year OU's best player was the hardest worker and wanted the TEAM to win. This year I believe the best player is not the hardest worker and has more of a me attitude.

That is my opinion and could be wrong but that in my opinion is trickling down to the younger guys. They see how he works and they see it as how things are done. Last year, guys saw how Blake worked and wanted to be right there with him.

As a coach you see this and it drives you nuts. I have seen it this year and it can be very frustrating. It is a hard thing to change or break.

Just my .02

Romar I take it that you coach? Basketball, football? Also, are you referring to :williew as far as attitude? If so, I agree. Something seems different about Willie this year. Just doesn't seem to have hustle at times. Whatever it is, I hope it's resolved soon. We need him to come with his "A" game every night!

Do we ever wonder why our guy's dont get back on Defence?
No offensive balence, a guy will take a bad shot, a shot no one expected...no one gets back. We dribble with the intent on creating a shot for ourselves...no one looks for anyone. These guy's dont play for each other. If you watch the teams that beat us they share the ball, they play for one another. In the Zag game, we cut the lead, got the ball back...WW pennetrated, Bouldin came over to help...instead of kicking to Cade in the corner...Matts man, WW tried to force it up...matt stole the ball, they scored...game over

Now it's not everyone, just the ones with the ball in there hands...5 guys scoring 12 is better and more productive then 2 guys scoring 20...all day

You got it pal, Sharp has seen his share of college hoops take my word for it.

It is very hard sometimes to get the right combo on the floor and even in recruiting. These kids will have to grow together as friends and teammates and until that happens I agree totally with what Sharp has stated. Trust is a time consuming thing. They are taking the time to trust ask other and that is killing this team......

It is very hard sometimes to get the right combo on the floor and even in recruiting. These kids will have to grow together as friends and teammates and until that happens I agree totally with what Sharp has stated. Trust is a time consuming thing. They are taking the time to trust ask other and that is killing this team......
What is that quote from the cheesy Replacements movie, takes years to build trust but I'm asking you build it in a week (then Keanu Reeves characters talk about quick sand), that is pretty much what OU basketball needs. Need some trust before conference play starts Saturday and especially Monday vs OSU.

What is that quote from the cheesy Replacements movie, takes years to build trust but I'm asking you build it in a week (then Keanu Reeves characters talk about quick sand), that is pretty much what OU basketball needs. Need some trust before conference play starts Saturday and especially Monday vs OSU.

This, I believe, is when you'll see just how hard this team is willing to play. I don't recall a single bedlam game (in the last 20+ years anyway) in Norman where the Sooners didn't get in our grill and make us work for everything we could get. Never seemed to matter what the talent level was for either team, I could always count on a very hard fought game - which I love to watch. I'm looking forward to the game and I truly hope to see the same kind of game I've seen in the past - win or lose - I just want to see some hard-fought basketball in Norman.

IMO, this is the biggest game of the season for OU.

Agreed 1000%. I watch our post players get good position and get ignored. The guards have to trust that the post players can score the ball before we have some offensive flow.

Back