OU should put a Buzz in basketball >>> Ft. Worth Star-Telegram

The more the Marquette program becomes his, the more he's losing.

Very compelling argument in Williams' favor. His connections to Oklahoma and the fertile Texas recruiting grounds should make him a very attractive candidate to Joe C.

Think having to compete with UConn, Syracuse, Georgetown, Pitt, etc., might have a tiny bit of effect on his record?

That, and half their schedule was against RPI top 50 teams. With the schedule Marquette had this year, to make the NCAA's seems, IMO anyway, a nice accomplishment.

Think having to compete with UConn, Syracuse, Georgetown, Pitt, etc., might have a tiny bit of effect on his record?

Doesn't matter to me. If Xavier beats him (I expect them to), that will be 3 early exits and his second round team (2008-09) was Crean's players. If Buzz Williams coached in the Big 12, his team would be Colorado right now.

AND the Big East is VASTLY overrated. How many championships does that league have in the last 11 years? 2...the same number that Florida, Duke & North Carolina have individually. Was their a Big East team in the championship last year? Nope. 2009? Nope.

Let's look at 2010 solely....Georgetown lost to Ohio in the first round by 14, Syracuse did well but got beat by a Horizon team (swt 16), Pitt got beat by an A-10 team, Marquette got beat by Washington in the 1st round, Louisville got spanked by 15 by Cal in the 1st round, Nova got beat by a WCC team (2nd rd), Notre Dame got beat by a Colonial team in the 1st rd....the only team that played up to the over-hyped Big East billing was WVU. I realize their main guy got hurt in that Duke game, but they got whooped nonetheless.

Like people always say, do the eye test, does the Big East really look that strong this year? Only answer that if you've watched every team. The BE will do like they do every other year, send 7-8 teams to the dance just for them to get pounded.

I was sitting in the hotel bar after one of the Big 12 sessions and in walked Mike Jones in his ostrich skin boots, waxed mustache and leather jacket. He ordered what appeared to be a nice chardonnay. I don't know why, he just strikes me as a Coors Light kinda guy.

AND the Big East is VASTLY overrated. How many championships does that league have in the last 11 years? 2
I'm not arguing for or against anything you said, just thought it was funny you stopped at 11 years, when UCONN won it 12 years ago. So 3 of the last 12 is 25%. Any league winning 25% of NCAA Tournaments is a strong league.

buzty2.jpg

I'm not arguing for or against anything you said, just thought it was funny you stopped at 11 years, when UCONN won it 12 years ago. So 3 of the last 12 is 25%. Any league winning 25% of NCAA Tournaments is a strong league.

Just went from 2000-2011, I can go further...

from 1986-2011 (21 years)

Big 10 - 3 (12%)
Big East - 4 (16%)
SEC - 5 (20%)
ACC - 8 (32%)
MWC - 1 (4%)
Pac-10 - 2 (8%)
Big 12 - 2 (8%)

Just went from 2000-2011, I can go further...

from 1986-2011 (21 years)

Big 10 - 3 (12%)
Big East - 4 (16%)
SEC - 5 (20%)
ACC - 8 (32%)
MWC - 1 (4%)
Pac-10 - 2 (8%)
Big 12 - 2 (8%)
The problem is the Big East has changed dramatically, so I would be more inclined to look at more recent history. (although the "powers" haven't really changed)

Disclaimer: I actually agree wholeheartedly the Big East is an overrated league. It's all we hear about night and day from a certain network, when the league, as you have shown, doesn't necessarily need to be pimped out 24/7.

It didn't Crean's the previous four years before he left for Indiana...

That, and half their schedule was against RPI top 50 teams. With the schedule Marquette had this year, to make the NCAA's seems, IMO anyway, a nice accomplishment.

Marquette had one notable road win all season over UConn. They had four real OOC games and lost all four of them; only one was an away game, two home, and one neutral court. Marquette didn't get in in-spite of being in the Big East, they got in only because they played in the Big East. They finished tied for ninth and were seeded 11th in the Big East Tourney. You put their resume blindly on any other team out of a different conference in the country and they're hosting a first round game in the NIT.

Last edited:
We won't see anything as that is an opinion and Marquette won't play an entire schedule in the A10.

If Xavier comes out and spanks Marquette, it'll tell us all we need to know IMO.

Crean never finished higher than 4th in the Big East and finished 9th as well at Marquette. And according to Sagarin's conference ratings, the Big East is the #1 conference in the land this year. They hadn't been #1 in any of the previous 7 years.

Back