OU vs UCLA game thread.

When you can't rebound, miss free throws, and turn the ball over, it's pretty hard to beat teams. This team was NOT prepared to play tonight. We got out coached and out played.

Add in that we played too much from the outside and you won't beat anyone.

First half AE and Nicole were the only one's who showed up.

First 10 minutes of the second half were an absolutely pathetic performance by the entire team.

Given all that, the women made a valiant run down 20.

With 7 minutes left, Whitney and Morgan finally showed up.

McFarland looked tonight like she'd never played basketball at all.

Turnovers AGAIN. In the first half we had like seven straight times down the court that we turned the ball over.

Only about 55 percent from the line. Unforgiveable.

Sloppy, lazy, not thinking. Couldn't get open, couldn't defend, couldn't rebound, too damn much dribbling AGAIN. Disappointing game.

And yet we still had a chance to win. If we can marshall the play of the last 7 minutes we can go far this season.

Two things I have learned (or at least tried to learn) over the last 15+ years
1. we WILL turn the ball over far too many times. Once in a while we have a decent game but not very often and
2. we dont rebound very well.

Looking for bright spots - I thought the rumors of Griffin's improvement were confirmed. I thought she made a valiant effort, and was significantly better on both ends of the floor than last year. Kind of a shame she had no help inside whatsoever. McFfarland was a total stiff, and Durrett still needs to learn to play at a division I level. She's really has never played against that kind of size and physicality. Here's hoping she can learn.

I'm still trying to figure out how we got from -18 to -2 without getting any rebounds.

McFarland looked tonight like she'd never played basketball at all.

I hate to single out a player, but man, Joanna struggled tonight. No points, only 3 boards, 1 block, and 4 fouls. She's got good size, but her lack of athleticism hurt her performance against what UCLA was throwing at us IMO.

From Soonersports site, we were outrebounded 56 to 34 and 25 of the 56 were offensive boards. It's kind of a miracle we only lost by 6.

It seems every year, at least since I have been following Sooner Women's basketball, they have one or two games just like this. Lack of focus, unprepared, out hustled, out muscled, etc...., you all get the point.

After watching the Creighton game, I really felt good about this team. Tough defense, good ball movement, and sharing the ball. Tonight the complete opposite. Too much standing around. Nicole working her butt off, again, to get open, and a lot of no passes into the interior. Lets hope they get this out of their system and become the team I hope they can.

Portia looked like a deer in headlights most of the game, I have to agree, she seemed a little out of her league for big time basketball. We should get a better effort Sunday, it's still early, but these kids have to learn to come play every night, not when they want to.

Need to recruit more athletes like Amanda Thompson.

This is where we miss Kay-Kay. Our inside game must get tougher.
J-Mac seems to have morphed into strictly a three-point shooter only. I could be wrong, but seem to remember her as a younger player getting in on the scrum and battling on the glass more. Not sure if there's some hesitancy due to the awful facial injury she suffered, but I'm hoping she'll supply some much-needed presence in the paint.

We have to start doing a better job of getting the ball in to the post, with the shooters OU has no team can sag off our guards. But our guards act like they’ve never made a post entry pass before; I don’t understand a bounce pass to our 6’6 post player.

This is where we miss Kay-Kay. Our inside game must get tougher.
J-Mac seems to have morphed into strictly a three-point shooter only. I could be wrong, but seem to remember her as a younger player getting in on the scrum and battling on the glass more. Not sure if there's some hesitancy due to the awful facial injury she suffered, but I'm hoping she'll supply some much-needed presence in the paint.

I think Sherri has a decision to make...whether to leave Joanna in as a starter and HOPE that she comes out of her funk or go ahead and make a change to Portia or Sharane. I personally would like to see a change to Sharane but that's just me.

The play by play guy from sooner sports said Alyssia Brewer wanted to transfer to OU when she left Tennessee, but there wasn't any room on the team... how could that be?

The play by play guy from sooner sports said Alyssia Brewer wanted to transfer to OU when she left Tennessee, but there wasn't any room on the team... how could that be?

Good question Mac. I heard that too and couldn't believe it. :facepalm

Good question Mac. I heard that too and couldn't believe it. :facepalm

Also what was her situation out of HS? Did we go after her and just not have a chance?

I think Sherri has a decision to make...whether to leave Joanna in as a starter and HOPE that she comes out of her funk or go ahead and make a change to Portia or Sharane. I personally would like to see a change to Sharane but that's just me.

I know its early in the season, but I would easily sacrifice height and passiveness for Sharane's toughness and ability to get to the rim and free throw line. So far Portia hasn't shown me any thing and Jo is a shell of herself. I am hoping in practice this week, Sherri can wake up the sleeping giants and get some toughness in these girls. We need to do the bubble drill every single day until these girls understand the importance of rebounding. Last night they didn't have a clue, well except maybe for Whitney and Maddie.

Also what was her situation out of HS? Did we go after her and just not have a chance?

I'm pretty sure OU went after her, but I've read somewhere before that her high school coach pushed her away from OU because the lady didn't like Sherri. But I've also heard she didn't like OU because OU didn't go after Angel Goodrich. But if there wasn't room on the team this time that's to bad... this might sound pretty bad but I would rather have her on our team then Colmen....

Based on last night and her being a Senior and doesn't seem to improve she needs to make the change NOW.

How could there not be any room for Brewer to transfer to OU? When was the last time we had 15 players on ou roster? That is how many endowed scholarships we have. I guess I am too lazy to look it up, but has Coale ever taken a transfer from another Division 1 program?

Back