OU's D has really improved over the past few weeks.

tomkar98

Reaction score
As many of you know, the website Kenpom.com is a ranking system, based only on stats.

abd, posted once about how our defensive ranking on that website was at #306. Our team ranking was in the high 100's too. OUr offense has always been in the top 50, so thats how we were able to stay so high in our team ranking.

Anyways, this link will take you to the OU team webpage.

On here, you can see our Defense is now ranked at 191, and not 306 like it once was. Our offense is now ranked 43rd in the nation. Also, the team ranking is now at 99. The first time we have breached the double digits in rankings since our 3 game skid.

Also, and FYI, this ranking system updates daily. So keep checking. I might start posting any major changes on this website, more often.

Thanks tom! Good to see the improvement. We all knew that it couldn't get any worse after Alaska! ;)

The team defense has certainly picked up. I think Cade, Tony and TMG are the main factors in the major improvement.

TMG has probably made the most improvement on D in such a short period of time.

Cade and Tony have provided the intensity from the start.

Tony has really accepted and fit into the new role he is playing. I love the kid for this reason alone.

This should be pinned to the top of the board so that we can reference it and see the hopeful progression throughout the entire year.

This should be pinned to the top of the board so that we can reference it and see the hopeful progression throughout the entire year.

That is a good idea. I'll consider doing this. Sometimes threads get lost up there, tho.... So, like I said, I'll consider this idea.

teams get better thru the year and you shouldn't write them off early???

WHAT A NOVEL CONCEPT!

Who woulda thunk it?

tom thanks for posting this, but where is the bigabd. He said that he would take it upon himself to keep us posted on this vital stat. Slipping on the job. bigabd are you there? How about them young scrappy SOONERS! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

tom thanks for posting this, but where is the bigabd. He said that he would take it upon himself to keep us posted on this vital stat. Slipping on the job. bigabd are you there? How about them young scrappy SOONERS! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Yeah, I remember him saying he would. If he won't I certainly will. I'll try to post it a day after every game we have.

The team ranking after one day of "inactivity" has moved up one spot to 98, and our D ranking is now at 189, instead of 191 like it was before. Also, the O ranking is one spot better at 42.

You can check for yourself here.

This goes to show that it does update daily (usually the update for Saturday's action will be very early Sunday morning, as an example.), and that you should check it out as often as possible.

One more thing, he usually gets enough statistical information on each team to provide predictions on match ups. Such as, the OSU @ OU game, he might have a prediction that we win, the actual score of the game, and the pace of the game (number of possessions if I remember correctly). He has enough this year, and has started it.

OSU @ OU: OU Wins, by a score of 72-71, pace of 65, and OU's chances of winning are 51%. Based on the statistical information he has right now. He does adjust the stats for home, neutral and away games.

Last edited:
I will warn you tho, he has us at 14-16 (5-11) on the year....

So... ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK! haha

As long as week keep playing the way we have, those predictions are likely to change tho.

Another update:

Ranking, School, Record
97 Oklahoma (7-3)

Code:
Category  	   Offense  	   Defense  	   D-I Avg
Adj. Efficiency: 	111.4 [44] 	101.3 [190] 	99.8

We have moved up overall, but the D moved down one spot. But that is to be expected when you don't play.

Something else is we have cut down on stupid turnovers! Freshmen mistakes! By conference time I see these things taking care of themselves!

First 5 games: 78.6 scoring offense, 78.0 scoring defense, 0.6 scoring margin
Last 5 games: 78.2 scoring offense, 60.8 scoring defense, 17.4 scoring margin

The competitions between the first and last 5 games are pretty comparable.

Awesome stat!! :clap

The competition might have even gotten stiffer.

Two auto-wins, VCU, San Diego, Houston

vs.

Two auto-wins, Arkansas, Arizona, Utah

The competition might have even gotten stiffer.

Two auto-wins, VCU, San Diego, Houston

vs.

Two auto-wins, Arkansas, Arizona, Utah

Not according to Pomeroy. He likes VCU, but they are winning with defense anyway.

Awesome stat! Thanks!

As for our Pomeroy ranking, we stayed put.

Back