Perry Jones says two Big 12 schools offered money/jobs/home

KU - Jobs
Texas - Money

And as for KU... it's not a surprise their recruiting has dropped off ever since the ticket/money laundering scandal was uncovered... that was pretty obviously their slush fund for recruiting and paying players...

When I found out what Larry Brown did to lure Danny Manning, my first thought was "that shady ba$^@rd". Then, it dawned on me that I was being a tad hypocritical since my first reaction when Billy Tubbs hired Wayman's high school coach as an assistant was: "Brilliant move by Coach Tubbs!" I guess it all depends on what team one roots for. :)

There is a HUGE difference between the two... Wayman's high school coach was actually a basketball coach... Manning's Dad was a TRUCK DRIVER.

KU is dirty and has been for a long time... I hope they get hammered.

Last edited:
KU - Jobs
Texas - Money

And as for KU... it's not a surprise their recruiting has dropped off ever since the ticket/money laundering scandal was uncovered... that was pretty obviously their slush fund for recruiting and paying players...

There is a HUGE difference between the two... Wayman's high school coach was actually a basketball coach... Manning's Dad was a TRUCK DRIVER.

So I looked up KU's recruiting and I would say they are doing just fine. Top 10 2012 class and currently #2 for 2013 so I'm not sure your argument holds water here. Offering jobs wasn't at the time against the rules, no? As far as anybody getting "hammered" for this don't hold your breath. Hell, the school Perry attended paid out the ass to get him. If I'm Drew I tell him to STFU and stop the pity party because you haven't lived up to your billing.

Don't read too much into this stuff, because it's likely big money boosters operating outside the scope of the athletic department, coaches, universities, etc. Boosters contact friends of friends of family members and say if you get Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabidu to commit to Tech State, we'll give you a new job, money, etc.

Remember that NY Times piece on the friend of the mother of Jamarkus McFarland say that if her son went to Texas, she'd get something for it?

Earlier this month, a former classmate called Adams and asked if she would coax her son into attending Texas. If so, a banker had promised the former classmate any type of loan.

So... meh. Is what it is.

As an OU fan, you have to hope Jeff Capel and his staff weren't one of those offering money. For Capel to even have a chance to sign Jones, which he did, one would think he or someone working with him was offering something.

For anyone to say otherwise is foolish...just look at the Tiny Gallon situation. And, yes, I know Capel was cleared of that, but it was his job to know what was happening with his asst coaches and he didn't. This could be another instance of that.

Why would you say this? Capel had taken OU to the great 8 in Perry Jone's junior year of high school. He had signed three McDonald's AA in three consecutive seasons. I don't think you have to assume Capel was cheating to draw interest from a good player. I agree with the Tiny Gallon situation you should also not conclude OU is somehow above breaking the rules.

Don't read too much into this stuff, because it's likely big money boosters operating outside the scope of the athletic department, coaches, universities, etc. Boosters contact friends of friends of family members and say if you get Joey Joe Joe Junior Shabidu to commit to Tech State, we'll give you a new job, money, etc.

Exactly. When the younger Rishes were in HS they went to Pem Day, a private school in ritzy Johnson county. They were living with a family, big KU alums and boosters, in their big house, driving their fancy cars, and enjoying whatever perks came with that sort of lifestyle. Now I don't know what involvement KU actually had, probably none, but Williams couldn't/wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

I'm just glad ou is above offer jobs to recruits and fam
Boomar

I had two HUGE OSU fans and alums tell me they ran into Nash while he was on his visit to OSU. He was a little under the influence and he was telling them about money he received in cash. IT was a good number but nothing huge.

This is one thing I don't understand. If I'm in the NCAA and I read this article the first thing I would do is call Perry Jones and find out what school(s) offered him money. I mean he's admitting to a school(s) committing a major violation. Why haven't they pounced on this?

Of course it was Kansas. KU has provided more money to the west side of Chicago than welfare.

Why would you say this? Capel had taken OU to the great 8 in Perry Jone's junior year of high school. He had signed three McDonald's AA in three consecutive seasons. I don't think you have to assume Capel was cheating to draw interest from a good player. I agree with the Tiny Gallon situation you should also not conclude OU is somehow above breaking the rules.

Edit...I thought this thread was about Perry Ellis. That's who I was talking about...too many Perry's to differentiate.

Last edited:
KU - Jobs
Texas - Money

KU's ticket scandel was 100% for the benefit of the KU basketball program. The ticket agencies getting the tickets ran AAU basketball teams and would send there best players to KU. The prosecuters didn't want any of the info on who set the program up or where the money was going. They didn't want to embarrass the program. Nor did they want anybody to know Self was given tickets to do what he wanted off the books.

Smart's recruiting trip had some contact in area off limits to recruits. I assume a minor violation although Travis Ford is from Kentucky and they know how to take care of players.

I wonder if he is including his own university?

Back