Practice Report 10/12

w0lfe

Reaction score
Hey guys, here is just a few things that I observed during practice today.

First and foremost, all players played today including AK. They didn't limit his reps in any way, and they seemed to push him to get him back in shape. Not to say that he's way out of shape, but he would get winded after a few fast break drills. Overall, I'd say that he will definitely see a decent amount of playing time and will probably start the season behind Spangler and Lattin but he may push Lattin for that time. He had a great rejection on one of Buddy's shots. One of the things I'd like to see more from him is fighting for offensive position. A lot of times, he seemed like he'd watch the play instead of fighting for a position on the block. He had the chance to take a couple of shots down low when they fed him the ball. His touch was a bit "hard" on the baby hooks, but he can step out and hit the jump shot. His free throw shooting was pretty solid as well, so I don't see teams using him as a "hack-a-shaq.

Hield, enough said. The guy even looks more athletic than last year and he was lights out.

Cousins looked really good as well. He was knocking down some beautiful jumpers, some very contested. He had a very nice drive and finish in the paint too. To me, he looks like he's quicker than he was last season and his ball handling looked more controlled as well.

Woodard looked similar to last year, but has stepped into more of a leadership role. He was commanding parts of the practice today. I thought he played some pretty good defense today.

Spangler also looked pretty good out there today, not a whole lot of difference from last season. Maybe slightly slimmer, but it's hard to say.

Jamuni will probably be the last big man to see time. He's improved from last season, but still looks like he lacks confidence in himself. It seemed like he wanted to pass first the second he got the ball. He did make one really good move down low for the slam. Shortly there after, he turned the ball over trying to make a move in the paint.

Walker made some tough shots today, and looks like his 3pt percentage will be improved which would be a big plus for us.

The freshmen all looked pretty good today. Odomes has a college body right now, and is a lefty. His shot really wasn't falling today, I don't know if it was just a bad shooting day or not. He played good defense and I really like his effort on the boards, he will be a good player for us down the road. At the beginning of practice I was more impressed with Odomes than James, but as the practice went on, James started really impressing me. He was hitting some very contested shots and also plays with great hustle and effort. He seemed like he is very willing to listen and learn. I think he will see playing time pretty early, and will definitely help out this squad immediately. Buford looks like he's going to be a pretty good player, maybe an 8pt 6reb type player. He has a quick release, but it looks a little like Shawn Marion or something, I don't know... Once practice started to get going he was really finding his stroke.

Overall, I think this will be one of the best teams we've had in awhile. I think the defense will be the strength of this team. I'm hoping that we cure the unforced turnovers from being out of control, I still saw a little bit of that today when they would try to go too fast. This is one of the deepest teams that I can remember us having. I think we make the trade off this season of having better interior defense, but will lose some interior offense with the loss of Thomas. I hope this paints a little better picture for some of you guys, and if you have any questions about anyone or anything else, just let me know and I'll try to answer them as best I can. Come out and support this team, we are going to have a good one to watch! :OU-logo:

He has a quick release, but it looks a little like Shawn Marion or something, I don't know...

Not exactly the same stroke but similar! He is kinda sneaky athletic like Marion too. Good description.

Outstanding report
Does Jamuni play good defense?
Does he block out?
Can he pass?

Walker looked like he leaned out significantly Is his defense improved?

Does Buford have a mid range and inside game?

Thanks very much

Outstanding report
Does Jamuni play good defense?
Does he block out?
Can he pass?

Walker looked like he leaned out significantly Is his defense improved?

Does Buford have a mid range and inside game?

Thanks very much

Jamuni played decent defense, he tries to play with more finesse instead of physicality. He was letting defenders box him out, forcing him to go over the back. His passing was okay, both him and AK had a couple passes intercepted by trying to throw cross court. Walkers defense maybe was slightly better, due to less weight and a little more agile. Buford does have a midrange pull up but didn't display or have the chance to display an inside game.

Does Buford look like he can bang down low and body up bigger players?
Woodard's 3 pointer looking ok?
Any improvement in Buddy's handle noticeable in the live action.

Thanks a ton!

@JonRothstein: Under-the-radar freshman: Oklahoma's Dante Buford. Will give Sooners' a "Cameron Clark" like look at PF. 6-7 & skilled. RS last year.

@JonRothstein: Under-the-radar freshman: Oklahoma's Dante Buford. Will give Sooners' a "Cameron Clark" like look at PF. 6-7 & skilled. RS last year.

I've been saying that ever since I watched him practice this summer. He's a bigger Cam Clark. I'm not sure he's quite as good a 15-foot shooter as Cam was but he is more physical.

He's going to have an edge on a lot of freshmen because he had a redshirt year to help him adapt to the speed of the D1 game and learn the system.

I've been saying that ever since I watched him practice this summer. He's a bigger Cam Clark. I'm not sure he's quite as good a 15-foot shooter as Cam was but he is more physical.

He's going to have an edge on a lot of freshmen because he had a redshirt year to help him adapt to the speed of the D1 game and learn the system.

I agree here. Cam was a guy with a bigger body but a wing's mind. I think Dante has more of a down low mentality, from doing more of it in HS. I think he could be a great undersized 4 to come of the bench like so many good teams have had

Thanks!

I've heard Buford has a much better attitude this fall. They got him away from the football team.

First and foremost, all players played today including AK. They didn't limit his reps in any way, and they seemed to push him to get him back in shape. Not to say that he's way out of shape, but he would get winded after a few fast break drills. Overall, I'd say that he will definitely see a decent amount of playing time and will probably start the season behind Spangler and Lattin but he may push Lattin for that time. He had a great rejection on one of Buddy's shots. One of the things I'd like to see more from him is fighting for offensive position. A lot of times, he seemed like he'd watch the play instead of fighting for a position on the block. He had the chance to take a couple of shots down low when they fed him the ball. His touch was a bit "hard" on the baby hooks, but he can step out and hit the jump shot. His free throw shooting was pretty solid as well, so I don't see teams using him as a "hack-a-shaq.

This is something I sent via PM to someone after watching a practice at the end of June regarding Manyang. I didn't post it because they didn't want us posting practice reports of summer workouts. Of course it was a week or so before he got hurt so his practice time with the team was limited after that.

Manyang was thicker than I expected and played hard. His best sequence was when he missed 2 shots but battled for the rebound and finally scored on the 3rd shot. The team went nuts and helped him up from the floor after battling so hard on the boards. He didn't hit an outside shot and I think most of his scoring will be on put backs. Manyang may need to get stronger. On a series to concentrate on post defense Cole scored on him twice on post moves. He moves well and is fairly athletic and they need his length. I look at it like they have 10 fouls to give between him and Lattin. Plus he has a whole summer to get better.

Nice report, wOlfe! Thanks for taking the time to give us a breakdown on the players. Had me hanging on every word!

I've heard Buford has a much better attitude this fall. They got him away from the football team.

Interesting. I didn't know he was hanging with players from the football team, but he and Mixon were kind of in athletic purgatory for different reasons last year. I knew Buford went home for Spring Break while the team was still practicing for the NCAA's.

When he couldn't practice with the team in the fall he hung out with the football players. He continued to be their friends all spring. They aren't nearly as dedicated to their sport as the basketball team has been the last couple of years.
They also were much more effected by the idiots at the SAE house. The basketball team continued to work hard instead of worrying about the situation.

When he couldn't practice with the team in the fall he hung out with the football players. He continued to be their friends all spring. They aren't nearly as dedicated to their sport as the basketball team has been the last couple of years.
They also were much more effected by the idiots at the SAE house. The basketball team continued to work hard instead of worrying about the situation.

Thanks. When you speak I listen. What you're telling us is Buford didn't work as hard as the rest of the team did this spring (even after the season was over). I can understand how it could happen. Hopefully, he got his priorities together and aligned with the rest of the team this summer. I don't care that much about the spring, but I do care about now.

Well everyone that is STILL on the basketball team

Interesting. I knew the basketball team was exceptionally dedicated but I hate to read the football team isn't. Perhaps that explains why they are not as dominant as they had been in stoops first 10 years (excluding the first season and 2005).

It also demonstrates how a few leaders can make all the difference in the world. Kruger has had a fairly long list of guys that really wanted to work probably going back to Osby. Everything I have ever read about Hield and Cousins is those guys work as hard or harder than everyone in college basketball. I think attitude is contagious in many ways. Look at 2010. That was a very talented team on paper but they were not a good team. They lacked positive leaders. Crocker adopted the bad attitude of the young guys and Right and Davis simply were not strong enough leaders to over come WW, TMG, Crocker, etc.

to be fair, if you had 85 bball players, I'm sure you would get several less than dedicated players. The core of the football team seems dedicated

Back