Practice Report

Sam

Reaction score
Got the opportunity to watch some of today's practice.

Here are some things I noticed.

Early on the "first unit" was Pledger, Clark, Davis, Thompson and Fitzgerald.

Calvin was running a lot of shooting guard with the second team early on as well, honestly he looks good there, comfortable. It is easy to tell he is a score first type guy.

The early part of practice seemed to be working on defense with the "first unit "as they spent the bulk of the time together as defense.

The team then went 5v5 most of the way, did some various stuff with it. Like the first team trying to just get stops. Score "gamewinning bucket", etc. Some just plain up and down play as well.

Blair and Newell went back to running the point mainly during the stuff. Even though Pledger still was as point early on.

Some random observations.

Abdul hit a hook shoot, early on in practice. A jumper later on when they were 5v5.

Fitzgerald is more effective offensively as a face up, took Barry off the dribble once there too. He seems more natural there, his post game is improving but isn't his strength

Nick seems more comfortable in the high post, found Cam on a beautiful cut for a sweet jam at one point. Still like exhibition tries to force a few passes when he shouldn't.

Cam shows flashes and is quite active. Not sure how long it will take for him to put it together but when he does it will be great. He is also active on the glass on both ends, not afraid to mix it up.

Cal is good as a 2, can shoot on rhythm off screens, seems comfortable as a scorer.

Pledger looks to be in the point guard competition now as much as Carl or Calvin is. Wonder how much is this is due to T.J. being out.

Cade was trying to "direct" things on the court, help out with offensive calls, stuff like that.

Capel's words on the new guys.

Calvin - could be really good over 4 years, AGGRESSIVE! Self made, prideful, tough. Embodies what Philly is. Best at scoring right now, tying to convert to point.

Cameron - learning curve as a freshman, best ball is in front of him, works hard.

Abdi - Bright future. Very skilled for a big man not strong or physical enough right now, is working on it. Good athlete, quickness.

Neal - Very talented, very good athlete. Just need toughness as he adjusts from high School to college.

Taylor - Redshirting due to concussion.

Carl - solid point guard, needs to improve his on the ball defense and keep people in front of him. Also not getting in too deep and in trouble when driving to the basket.

Romero - great player, freak athlete (7 foot wing span, insane vertical), needs to work harder consistently, bad habits picked up at Mississippi St.

C.J. - battling groin injury, little behind the learning curve because of it. Will be an energy guy, hit the boards, play good D

Nick - Important piece to this team, had a rough exhibition game but has been practice well before and after it. Expects better.

Barry - pleasant surprise, best screener on team, talks on D, understands his role. Will play and do the little things for OU.

If anybody has any particular questions about a player please ask, I just threw together a few things that stood out to me.

Abdi has a sweeeeet stroke...that jumper he knocked down was PURE.

Romero - great player, freak athlete (7 foot wing span, insane vertical), needs to work harder consistently, bad habits picked up at Mississippi St.

Also said, potentially the best player on the team. . .

Is Osby a 3 or a 4, sam? (or anyone who has seen him practice)

He was covering Cameron a lot on defense, also had a good stroke on offense.

I think he can play either.

That is why I wouldn't mind to see a front court of Osby, Fitz and Goff next season.

Barry - pleasant surprise, best screener on team, talks on D, understands his role. Will play and do the little things for OU.

That is nice to see. OU needs some surprises. Hopefully his hard work and willingness to do the little things will rub off on some of the more talented players and be a positive influence on the team.

Early on the "first unit" was Pledger, Clark, Davis, Thompson and Fitzgerald.

That is a weird lineup. Can't say I'm wild about any of those guys running the point.

That is a weird lineup. Can't say I'm wild about any of those guys running the point.

I guess Cade Davis could.. it would take him out of a shooting role and into a distributing one. I think I like that better for him if he can bring the ball up the court.

How did Nick look? Was he working on playing down low more, rebounding, etc.? He looked good rebounding the few times he was down low in the exhibition.

I guess Cade Davis could.. it would take him out of a shooting role and into a distributing one. I think I like that better for him if he can bring the ball up the court.

I don't see it working vs any team with a good press, wouldn't even have to be as good as Mizzou's press to give us trouble. I think an offense can be ran without a true point as long as there is good motion and a guy like Cade or Cam can get penetration.

How did Nick look? Was he working on playing down low more, rebounding, etc.? He looked good rebounding the few times he was down low in the exhibition.

Nick is willing to bang down low on defense and will box out and give effort on the block. Offensively he still appears more willing to play on the wing/high post. That is he skill set at this time on offense. He was in more control than in the exhibition game on offense as well.

Nick is willing to bang down low on defense and will box out and give effort on the block. Offensively he still appears more willing to play on the wing/high post. That is he skill set at this time on offense. He was in more control than in the exhibition game on offense as well.

Glad to see his willingness downlow on defense. We will certainly need it. He has good elevation off the floor and seems to rebound the ball strong. Hopefully he can work in some post offense which could turn him into a really solid player for this team.

Wouldn't we better off having a true guard running the O. Newell seems to be the best player on the team, and Blair was at minimum solid at distrubuting the ball in game 1. His experience will be helpful down the line IMHO.

I wasn't at all impressed with Thompson's defense, blocking out or rebounding. I can understand him looking and playing a bit lost, but I'm anxious to see Washington in action. Defense and rebounding I think are our two most important needs.
Thanks for the report.

I would like to take a stab at deciphering our PG position (bear in mind, this is all subjective; and that I have seen ZERO game play out of these guys, aside from a few exhibition highlights). A couple of bullet points:

• Blair was likely never intended to be anything more than a "stop gap".
  • Newell was likely never intended to be anything more than a SG - at least in his freshman year.
  • Pledger's move to the point is likely a two-pronged decision: 1. See the first two bullets 2. Likely need more size in the lineup for defense and defensive rebounding.
  • All of the above reinforce what we're hearing regarding the staff continuing to recruit high level 2011 and 2012 PG's.

Back