Predict how OU does in Conference 11/18 edition

Who said they will finish 7-9? I have them at 9-7 or 10-6. I just laid out the game by game predictions for you. Wherever that puts them in the conference is up to other teams, but I did what you asked me to do.

Let me try to make this simple for you:

1. The Big 12 is really good this year.
2. It looks to be the best or second best year for the Big 12 in its history.
3. In past years when the Big 12 has been good, the 7th place team finishes at or below .500.
4. You have been claiming that this team is going to finish in 7th place (see my rank 'em thread).

And I am sorry but in no way do I think a 7th place finish is a "solid year" in the Big 12 (unless we lose players off the team). I will go SoonerFanTU on this board if OU finishes in 7th place (don't worry folks, it won't happen). OU has only finished that low twice since the inception of the Big 12. This year we have a national player of the year candidate, two other burger boys, and a good coaching staff. It will be a terrible year for OU basketball if we finish in 7th place. This isn't Colorado, Nebraska, Mizzou, or Tech. This is OU basketball we are talking about.

There is no way to know how the conference standings will play out, lol... I think OU will finish 6th or 7th and be a 7-9 seed in the NCAA Tournament.. I showed you the games I feel really good about OU winning, and those that I think OU could lose. But this is basketball, they will probably lose 1 or 2 that I said they would win, and win 2 or 3 I said they would lose. Thats the nature of the beast.

You guys can badger me to death but I am not joining the chorus of people who think OU will finish 2nd or 3rd, nor do I appreciate being ambushed in every thread by the Sunshine Brigade for thinking OU will have a solid big 12 year and be a lock for the NCAA Tournament.

At this point saying OU will go 10-6 or 9-7 and be a lock for the tournament is saying OU has a lot of really good young talent. We will know more by January, and predictions will change by then. OU may shock the hell out of me and win most of these tough non-conference games. If they do that everyones predictions will change. If they lose more than folks may like, the other halfs predictions will change.

You think the 7th place team in the Big XII gets a 7-9 seed? So you have the Big XII with six seeds higher than 9? I would assume you have a bubble team from the Big XII (meaning a 12-13 seed) or do you just think the conference gets 7 seeds 9 or below with no bubble team.

BigTime,

I get what you are saying. There was never any confusion. I dont know where 9-7 or 10-6 puts you, because that depends on other teams. If 10-6 or 9-7 in this years league puts you in 4th or 5th place then my prediction wont really change. I laid out the wins and losses by game, whatever place that puts them in is not relevant. They are a lock for the tournament with that record. You are asking me to peg them into what you think 7th place will be (which you think is 7-9), but I cant do that.

You think the 7th place team in the Big XII gets a 7-9 seed? So you have the Big XII with six seeds higher than 9? I would assume you have a bubble team from the Big XII (meaning a 12-13 seed) or do you just think the conference gets 7 seeds 9 or below with no bubble team.

I think 9-7 or 10-6 gets you a 7-9 seed. Maybe 10-6 or 9-7 put you at 4th or 5th in the conference, who the hell knows. Maybe 7th is too low.. I thought 10-6 would be good for 6th place, and 9-7 7th... Bigtime seems to disagree and he has obviously put more thought into than I have.

So who's in this so-called sunshine brigade. If that's what the group of people who love what's going on with the program and like to talk about it are called than count me in. Can we stop the fifth grade name calling as well. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

So who's in this so-called sunshine brigade. If that's what the group of people who love what's going on with the program and like to talk about it are called than count me in.

Count me in too... I just made a post two or three days ago about the foundation of young players at OU (Pledger, Fitz, Tiny, TMG) that I think will win a conference championship before they leave OU.

Its a great foundation, I am excited for the future, but a little concerned about this year. Still, I have no doubt they are going to have a winning record in the Big 12 and be a tough out in the NCAA Tournament.

Big whether you believe me or not. I respect your knowledge of the game and OU Basketball. I just wonder how you can know so much about this team after two games. I think I'll hold judgement on this team until I've seen them play more games. No hard feelings man. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:OU-logo:

I say 11-5 or 10-6.
I don't know why y'all are picking on ABD. He just said what he thought and explained it.
Heck, when he and I said the football team would lose 4-5 games a bunch of people basically called us idiots. Guess he wasn't so dumb then huh?

Like I said I personally think 11-5 or 10-6 which seems to be what most people are saying. Is it really that far out of the realm of possibility that OU goes 10-6 or 9-7 like ABD is predicting? No. We're talking a one game swing folks.

I say 11-5 or 10-6.
I don't know why y'all are picking on ABD. He just said what he thought and explained it.
Heck, when he and I said the football team would lose 4-5 games a bunch of people basically called us idiots. Guess he wasn't so dumb then huh?

Like I said I personally think 11-5 or 10-6 which seems to be what most people are saying. Is it really that far out of the realm of possibility that OU goes 10-6 or 9-7 like ABD is predicting? No. We're talking a one game swing folks.

about football .... unless you knew that OU was going to have the most injuries in 30 years .. than yes you both say ou football was losing 4 or 5 games was not a good prediction

No kidding... I got blasted for that.

The argument is the incongruity between his predicted win/loss (10-6/9-7) and his predicted conference finish (6th or 7th). This is not an argument of optimist vs pessimist. It is extremely unlikely that a 10-6 team finishes 6th or a 9-7 team finishes 7th. More likely, 10-6 will get you a 3rd or 4th finish and 9-7 will get you a 5th or 6th finish.

Be that as it may, 10-6 in conference and an 8th seed in the NCAA would be a great year for such a young team. This team will most assuredly win a few games they have no business winning ( KU or UT perhaps) and lose some games they have no business losing (ISU or Colorado). It should be a fun year to watch the team develop.

The argument is the incongruity between his predicted win/loss (10-6/9-7) and his predicted conference finish (6th or 7th). This is not an argument of optimist vs pessimist. It is extremely unlikely that a 10-6 team finishes 6th or a 9-7 team finishes 7th. More likely, 10-6 will get you a 3rd or 4th finish and 9-7 will get you a 5th or 6th finish.

Be that as it may, 10-6 in conference and an 8th seed in the NCAA would be a great year for such a young team. This team will most assuredly win a few games they have no business winning ( KU or UT perhaps) and lose some games they have no business losing (ISU or Colorado). It should be a fun year to watch the team develop.

Exactly. I wasn't getting on Abd for having us go 10-6 (or even 9-7). I am trying to figure this out:

abd wrote this yesterday, when he said that we would finish 7th in the league:

1.) Texas- They are loaded. I like them better than Kansas right now.

2.) Kansas- They are loaded. I like them slightly less than Texas right now.

3.) Kansas State- Love their guards, leadership. What seperates KSU from Oklahoma is they have experienced leadership. Clemente is a 5th year senior, Pullen is a 3 year starter, Curtis Kelley is a 4th year player, Sutton is a 3 year starter, etc. Samuels is a really good sophomore who started as a frosh last year too.

4.) Iowa State- What happens when you add two of the best newcomers in the conference (Dendy and Gilstrap) with the best shooter in the conference (Staiger) with the best player in the conference (Brackins)? Well, you get a good team. Staiger torched Drake yesterday with 10-16 from the 3pt line, 32 points. Talk about a shooter at 6'5''.

5.) Oklahoma State- A great deal of depth at the guard spots. Their young guys have more time to grow up because they have Anderson, Obi, and Page to carry the load. I think Pilgrims performance in the opener was the exception, not the rule. I expect he and Moses to be good together this year. Moses is a third year player, Pilgrim is older as well.

6.) Missouri- I love their team this year. They lost some important pieces but I think Bowers is going to be a great replacement in the post. JT Tiller, Zaire Taylor, Kim English, Laurence Bowers, and Keith Ramsey are a great core group of experienced players. Three seniors, and two sophomores who played a lot last year.

7.) Oklahoma- This is a 3 spot drop based on what I have seen this year. I dont know how this team will win consistently on the road, or beat the more experienced teams in the league regularly. I think they will have some GREAT games and then some BAD ones. I am hoping for 9-7 in the league. OU is going to be the only NCAA Tournament team from the Big 12 to rely on one super sophomore and 4 freshman so heavily.
8.) Texas Tech- Tech is going to be a dangerous team this year, especially at home. They are playing pretty well right now with some key pieces playing like crap. Okorie and Brad Reese are not shooting well but they will, and when they do Tech will be an explosive offensive team. Pat Knight has been praising Darko, who was BAD last year but the game slowed down for him and he has been very good at the power forward spot next to Singletary. Singletary is just a tough matchup, and Roberson is a veteran point guard now. Knight has said Tairu is the leader of the team as a first year juco player, he keeps saying he is the next Ronald Ross.

9.) Colorado- Most improved team in the conference, except maybe Iowa State. Their newcomers are the real deal. Cory Higgins is a 1st team caliber player, and new freshman Alec Burks will be in the top 5 for freshman of the year, and Relphorde is an interesting "point forward" player. He brings the ball up for them quite a bit, he is a great ball handler at 6'7''. If they can rebound they will beat some people. This team can shoot, pass, and they have enough talent to beat people with their system this year.

10.) Texas A&M- I dont like this team at all, but they play better defense than Baylor and dont have a guy who will shoot them out of games like Lace Dunn. They beat SMU by 10, and were fortunate to get more than 20 points out of Roland who is an atrocious offensive player.

11.) Baylor- Udoh sank a hail mary to save them from a really bad loss. This looks like the same Baylor to me. Good talent in spots, no discipline, bad defense, very poor shot selection, lots of losses.

12.) Nebraska- They let South Carolina Upstate hang around for awhile, and they are trying to break in lots of newcomers. It is almost impossible to rate them without their best player being eligible, Christian Standhardinger. If he comes in and plays like he did in Germany and in their exhibition games this could change. Lance Jeter seems to be a really good upgrade at point for them, but losing their starting center for the second straight year is tough. If he didnt blow his knee out, and if Standharding could play, this could be different. Doc will be ready to roll next year.

--------------------

If this team goes 10-6, then there is no way that they finish 7th. It is also very unlikely if they go 9-7.

I will be really upset and disappointed with the season if OU finishes in 7th place, but it's not going to happen unless some guys leave the team/get hurt.

If this team goes 10-6, then there is no way that they finish 7th. It is also very unlikely if they go 9-7.

I will be really upset and disappointed with the season if OU finishes in 7th place, but it's not going to happen unless some guys leave the team/get hurt.

Exactly. I wasn't getting on Abd for having us go 10-6 (or even 9-7). I am trying to figure this out:

abd wrote this yesterday, when he said that we would finish 7th in the league:

I just figured 9-7 or 10-6 puts you in 6th or 7th place...

In 2008-2009, 9-7 was the record for the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th place team. The standings were done by tie-breakers, which is why I kept saying the exact placement is decided by other teams. 9-7 could get you a bye, or it could get you 7th depending on who beats who.

In 2007-2008, the 6th place team was 8-8. In 2005 Texas was 6th place at 9-7...

It changes every year and anything could happen in terms of standings.

I just figured 9-7 or 10-6 puts you in 6th or 7th place...

In 2008-2009, 9-7 was the record for the 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th place team. The standings were done by tie-breakers, which is why I kept saying the exact placement is decided by other teams. 9-7 could get you a bye, or it could get you 7th depending on who beats who.

In 2007-2008, the 6th place team was 8-8. In 2005 Texas was 6th place at 9-7...

It changes every year and anything could happen in terms of standings.

I understand that, but you are smart enough to know that the Big 12 is going to be much better top to bottom this year, and while Nebraska could go 0-16, the next two bad teams, Tech and Colorado, are probably going to win 4 or 5 games. The middle teams in the Big 12 will be a lot closer to .500 this year.

I just think it was premature to call OU the 7th place team. I bet you knee-jerked a bit. You didn't even watch the Mount game, so that probably accounts for some of your knee-jerk. (BTW, the Mount killed American yesterday, and will most likely end up being a lot like American was last year).

Let me try to make this simple for you:

1. The Big 12 is really good this year.
2. It looks to be the best or second best year for the Big 12 in its history.
3. In past years when the Big 12 has been good, the 7th place team finishes at or below .500.
4. You have been claiming that this team is going to finish in 7th place (see my rank 'em thread).

And I am sorry but in no way do I think a 7th place finish is a "solid year" in the Big 12 (unless we lose players off the team). I will go SoonerFanTU on this board if OU finishes in 7th place (don't worry folks, it won't happen). OU has only finished that low twice since the inception of the Big 12. This year we have a national player of the year candidate, two other burger boys, and a good coaching staff. It will be a terrible year for OU basketball if we finish in 7th place. This isn't Colorado, Nebraska, Mizzou, or Tech. This is OU basketball we are talking about.

Amen Brother BT! Preach on my man. Mediocrity is not what we call a solid season around here.

I predict an 11-5 season in conference play, with one loss at home and losses to KU, UT, A&M and either OSU or TTU on the road. The crowd will get behind this team and Lloyd Noble is always a tough place for the opposition.

Guess you can add me to the "sunshine pumper's" bandwagon... :eek:ldwt356:

Played two games so lets see how this board feels about our boys when they hit the Big 12 play.

at Baylor W
OSU W
Missouri W
at Texas A&M L
at Texas Tech W
Iowa St W
at Nebraska W
Texas L
Texas Tech W
at OSU L
at Colorado W
Kansas St W
at Kansas L
Baylor W
at Texas L
Texas A&M W

11-5 (7-1 at home, 4-4 road)
Good enough for 3rd in the Big 12 IMO.

At Baylor-Loss
OSU-Win
Missouri-Win
at aTm-Win
at Tech-Win
Iowa State-Win
at Nebraska-Win
Texas-Win
Texas Tech-Win
at OSU-Loss
at Colorado-Win
Kansas State-Win
at Kansas-Loss
Baylor-Win
at Texas-Loss
Texas aTm-Win

12-4

SoonersRule,

OSU-Win
Missouri-Win
at aTm-Win
at Tech-Win
Iowa State-Win
at Nebraska-Win
Texas-Win
Texas Tech-Win

That would be an amazing 8 game win streak for this team... I will paint your house if OU wins those 8 games in a row.

Last edited:
at Baylor-W
OSU-W
Missouri-W
at Texas A&M-L
at Texas Tech-W
Iowa St-W
at Nebraska-W
Texas-W
Texas Tech-W
at OSU-L
at Colorado-L
Kansas St-W
at Kansas-L
Baylor-W
at Texas-L
Texas A&M-W

11-5

We beat Texas at home IMO. Now that I think about it, we will probably drop one we should not at home and go 10-6. I'll stick with the 11-5 though.

I just don't view at A&M, at CU and at OSU as games that should be written off as a loss. I think OU is better than all three teams, can win all three games and should win at least one if not two.

I am going to that A&M game. So I really hope they win that one.

Back