Predictions/Expectations for Willie next year

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
We had some interesting thoughts on what Willie would average points and assists wise prior to his freshman year. Most folks were pretty dead on with his averages.

What about next year? Will it be Willie's team? Will he see much time at the point? What kind of point production do you see out him?

I do think that next year will be Willie's team. I think we will see him be a vocal leader and be the guy that takes over games. While TMG will be the primary pg, I think we will see Willie take the ball up the court quite a bit (moreso even than this year with AJ) for two reasons: 1. TMG can spot up and shoot really well 2. Willie's ability go coast to coast and get to the rack. I think it will be more of a whoever receives the outlet pass will take it up kinda system.

As for predictions: I think Willie will average 19ppg (4 more than last year). Believe it or not, he won't be counted on as much as Blake was to score because of guys like Tiny and TMG.

I think he will have at least 3 thirty point games, and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a 40 point performance out of him.

I think he has a great chance to be the Big 12 POY because Collins and King Cole play on the same team.

What say you?

Great post Big. I agree with every point. The interchange between TMG and Willie could make us very hard to prepare for. Both have very good handles and both are a threat to score or penetrate. Next season can't get here quick enough. We have one star player. I have a very good feeling two more are about to come to the forefront. Sleeper of the class that could make a bigger impact than many think: ANDREW FITZGERALD! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:boomer:sooner

Willie will score plenty, but if he really wants to stick in the NBA, he's going to have to work harder on his total package. His defense was okay for the most part, but he has an opportunity to be a devastating on-ball defender with his quickness, strength, and athleticism. He should also be a much better rebounder than he showed. I would also like to see him use his ability to penetrate and kick more often...

I guess I'm saying that I think Willie's got it in him to be way more than a scorer, and i would like to see that next year. Come on, Willie...stuff the stat sheet and be a leader.

I would be ecstatic with:

18 ppg
4.5 apg
4 rpg
1.5 spg
<1.5 TOpg

Willie has a chance to have a really special year. the Big 12 is going to be loaded with good guards and he is going to have to step up to the spotlight, which we all know he craves.

Big 12 POY is a definite possibility simply b/c he will be the leading scorer at (hopefully) 20ppg, which will put him near the top in the country for major conferences.

Aldrich may be the person to beat b/c they will again be the team to beat in the Big 12 and he'll fill the stat sheet with pts, rebs and blocks. he should have a field day in conference play.

I expect him to be one of the 10 best players in college and average around 20/5/5

According to Nick Zepp he has to average at least 25 per game or we're surely NIT bound.

According to Nick Zepp he has to average at least 25 per game or we're surely NIT bound.

lol but in Nick's defense, he doesn't like to put much (if any) stock in freshmen coming in. I bet he will change his mind on the whole NIT thing after the first couple of nonconference games.

WW and TMG would benefit greatly if they would make it a point to bring the ball up the court quickly and into the lane before the defense gets set. I hope that's a point of emphasis for Capel's offense next year because we are clearly better suited talent wise to do this.

You can bet your sweet ninny that is Coach Capel's plan. Believe it or not. Even our big men our better suited for transition up tempo basketball. It will all start with TMG. This is how he is used to playing. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:woot

lol but in Nick's defense, he doesn't like to put much (if any) stock in freshmen coming in. I bet he will change his mind on the whole NIT thing after the first couple of nonconference games.

I don't know if we have anyone else that can put consistent points in the basket outside of Warren and possibly Crocker. And Crocker has never been consistent.

I think he will definitely be the go to guy and leading scorer. I would love to see him average 5 assists, but it will probably be closer to 4. The game will definitely be more up tempo and I think with Blake gone there will be more ball movement along the perimeter in the half court game.

Hope Willie develops a serious mid-range game in the off-season, a one or two dribble consistent pull-up would make him almost unguardable in the half court. Not to mention keep him out of foul trouble, would be less susceptible to picking up an unnecessary charge (whether it was called correctly or not).

Back