Press release from the university on TMG, Willis, Willie

Tony

Reaction score
http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/032410aaa.html

March 24, 2010

NORMAN, Okla. - Oklahoma men's basketball head coach Jeff Capel announced today that Tommy Mason-Griffin and Ray Willis will not return for the 2010-11 season.

"Tommy visited with his family over spring break last week and he informed me that he is going to pursue a professional basketball career," said Capel. "I thank him for his contributions this season and wish him success."

Mason-Griffin was a third-team All-Big 12 pick this year. The freshman point guard averaged 14.1 points and 5.0 assists in 35.7 minutes per game. He set OU freshman records for 3-pointers (70), 3-point percentage (.424), assists (154) and average minutes. In Big 12 play, Mason-Griffin ranked ninth in the league in scoring (16.9 ppg), fourth in assists (4.6 apg) and fourth in 3-point percentage (.430).

"Ray has expressed a desire to transfer," said Capel. "I wish him well, wish him luck and will do what I can to assist him in finding another school."

A sophomore, Willis played in 13 games this season and averaged 2.6 points and 2.2 rebounds in 12.2 minutes a contest. He shot .250 from the field and .316 from 3-point range. The 6-6 guard played in 16 games as a freshman and averaged 3.3 points and 1.4 rebounds.

Capel also said that Willie Warren -- OU's leading scorer this year (16.3 ppg) -- has not yet made a decision on whether to return or to pursue an NBA career.

Thanks, Tony!

Nothing new in that release we didn't already know. But it's nice to get it straight from Coach Capel and the university, and put an end to the multitude of rumors and speculation.

well that's something... better than nothing i suppose... hope willie and tiny can come back, hold the fort down... so we can bring in some reinforcements in the late recruiting period...

At least we have something official. Now if we can just figure out WW (hopefully he stays) and sign some quality players, we may be on the right path.

there is something new. if warren is still deciding what to do, that refutes the report that capel told him he wouldn't have a scholarship next year.

No mention of Hardrick or Allen also leaving. Maybe they're going to stick it out, or they're just going to wait a couple more weeks to announce it. Who knows. The Allen stuff could be part of the "rumors" Capel joked about in his tweet.

Also, and I hate to pump sunshine in these desperate times, but if somehow Willie/Tiny are back and we sign Marquise Carter and Aziz Ndiaye to go with Cade, Pledger, Fitz, Clark and Taylor, we could be decent next year.

Don't flame me. I'm trying to find a reason to still have some hope here. :)

Also, and I hate to pump sunshine in these desperate times, but if somehow Willie/Tiny are back and we sign Marquise Carter and Aziz Ndiaye to go with Cade, Pledger, Fitz, Clark and Taylor, we could be decent next year.

No flaming necessary. You are spot on in your analysis. If that transpires that is a roster that could make the tournament.

So Faithful, does this have anything to do with the plan that Jeff will let us in on?

No mention of Hardrick or Allen also leaving. Maybe they're going to stick it out, or they're just going to wait a couple more weeks to announce it. Who knows. The Allen stuff could be part of the "rumors" Capel joked about in his tweet.

Appreciate the optimism, sounds good to me.

Well its nice to see Capel say something about some of this. And thank you Sooner23, for your optimism! I hope that lineup comes true!

No flaming necessary. You are spot on in your analysis. If that transpires that is a roster that could make the tournament.

And that is what we are left with - hoping, if all things fall right, we have a team that might be able to make the tournament. I had much higher expectations for Coach Capel and this last recruiting class.

Capel is, essentially, starting from scratch in his fifth year. Hard to believe this much has changed since Blake left.

And that is what we are left with - hoping, if all things fall right, we have a team that might be able to make the tournament. I had much higher expectations for Coach Capel and this last recruiting class.

Capel is, essentially, starting from scratch in his fifth year. Hard to believe this much has changed since Blake left.

You really took the words right out of my mouth. We went from riches to rags in the blink of an ey. I was really high on Capel, but it looks more and more like Blake Griffin was the one that made him look so good. Granted we had some pretty good upperclassmen leadership as well, but I never would have imagined that we would have fallen this far, especially with the players we still had. Don't laugh, but I was hoping and expecting that we could possibly make it to the sweet 16 this year lol. Hopefully this was just a bad year for Capel, even though I'm not sure I see it getting better any time soon.

You really took the words right out of my mouth. We went from riches to rags in the blink of an ey. I was really high on Capel, but it looks more and more like Blake Griffin was the one that made him look so good. Granted we had some pretty good upperclassmen leadership as well, but I never would have imagined that we would have fallen this far, especially with the players we still had. Don't laugh, but I was hoping and expecting that we could possibly make it to the sweet 16 this year lol. Hopefully this was just a bad year for Capel, even though I'm not sure I see it getting better any time soon.

I think just like your riches to rags comment, you can't knock down Capel for one year. If he had players who didn't want to play as a team and didn't want to win for the team, Coach K himself couldn't do anything about that. Whoever leaves OU, good luck to them, whoever stays will want to stay and win for OU.

I also hope WW returns and runs the point all next year for us. It will help both us and his NBA chances.

I think just like your riches to rags comment, you can't knock down Capel for one year. If he had players who didn't want to play as a team and didn't want to win for the team, Coach K himself couldn't do anything about that. Whoever leaves OU, good luck to them, whoever stays will want to stay and win for OU.

I also hope WW returns and runs the point all next year for us. It will help both us and his NBA chances.

I agree its hard to coach "me" players but capel was the one who recruited those "me" players. Has to fall on capel to some extent

Didn't he recruit the players? With as much time as they spend recruiting players - I would think you could get an idea about their character and their desire to be a team player, play defense, hustle, etc....I don't think you can blame the players without putting some of the blame on the person who offered the players scholarships.

I have heard from a good source, that Willie won't be back and neither will Orlando. Kyle is staying and Tiny is also staying, I am not sure how Tiny's issue will work out but I do know he plans to come back.

I have heard from a good source, that Willie won't be back and neither will Orlando. Kyle is staying and Tiny is also staying, I am not sure how Tiny's issue will work out but I do know he plans to come back.

Thanks for the info coacht. About what I expected, but getting Tiny back(assuming everything works out) is a great start for next season. Gives us something to build on at least.

So far we only have news about one impact player, TMG. It is still early to proclaim that the team has been wiped out. There is a lot of smoke. We'll just have to wait and see.

So far we only have news about one impact player, TMG. It is still early to proclaim that the team has been wiped out. There is a lot of smoke. We'll just have to wait and see.

Agree, sort of - what is there to wipe out? If everything works out perfectly, OU has a high potential two-guard, coming of a disappointing season. A highly skilled big man, who played well as a freshman in spurts and three decent role players.

If A or B falls through you have one potentially high-level Big 12 player on your roster. That's it. Best case, two high-level Big 12 players. Heck, even Colorado, Iowa State and Texas Tech rosters look better than OU.

We don't have to give up on next year, but Capel has an incredible amount of recruiting to do between now and signing day.

Back