Rank the top 5 shooting guard recruits coming into the Big 12

thebigabd

Reaction score
1.) Xavier Henry (6'6'' 225)- KANSAS
Selected as a Mcdonalds All-American. Rated as the #3 shooting guard in the country by Rivals.com. Rated as the #8 overall player in the class of 2009 by Rivals.com. Total package at shooting guard, averaged 28.7 points per game at Putnam City. Additionally, he connected on 55 percent of his field goals, 64 percent of his two point field goals and 43 percent of his shots from behind the arc. Had 14 points, 5 rebounds, 2 steals, and 2 assists in the Mcdonalds game.

2.) Avery Bradley (6'3'' 180)- TEXAS
-Selected as a Mcdonalds All-American. Rated as the #1 shooting guard in the country by Rivals.com. Rated as the #4 overall player in the class of 2009 by rivals.com. Great athlete, great player, great NBA prospect. Scored 15 points in the Mcdonalds All-American game.

3.) Rodney Mcgruder (6'4'' 195)- KANSAS STATE
-Selected as a Reebok All-American. Rated as the #20 shooting guard in the country by Rivals.com. Rated as the #84 overall player. Named MVP of the Reebok All-American game after scoring 24 points and grabbing 7 rebounds. Streaky shooter, but known as a great slasher who can finish at the rim.

4.) Nolan Dennis (6'5'' 185)- BAYLOR
-Versatile guard who chose Baylor in the late signing period over UCONN and Oklahoma. Can play 3 guard positions. Rated as the #15 shooting guard in the country by Rivals.com, and also the #58 overall player. Averaged 21.4 points and 10.1 rebounds as a senior this year. Rated as the #1 player in Texas by Texas Roundball and #4 in Texas by TexasHoops.com

5.) Alec Burks (6'4'' 180)-COLORADO
-Named 2009 Missouri Gatorade Player of the Year this season as a senior. Averaged 23 points, seven rebounds, three assists and one and a half steals per game. Played against MU's Michael Dixon head to head and had 30 points, 14 rebounds, and 3 assists to advance to the 5A state championship game. Shot 54% from the field, 85% from the free throw line, and 44% from the 3pt line.

Is Henry a guard? I thought he was a small forward but I guess this is splitting hairs a bit.

Where would you put Pledger?

Bradley>Henry

I don't know about that...

Is Henry a guard? I thought he was a small forward but I guess this is splitting hairs a bit.

He is a guard, and will be a shooting guard in the NBA as well.

Where would you put Pledger?

I tried to get him in the top 5, but I don't think he is better than Burks or Dennis. Probably 6th or 7th if I expanded my list...

I love Bradley's game, especially on the defensive end. That's what puts him ahead of Henry.
Texas will have no dropoff from losing Abrams thanks to Bradley.

I love Bradley's game, especially on the defensive end. That's what puts him ahead of Henry.
Texas will have no dropoff from losing Abrams thanks to Bradley.

I think they will get better by losing Abrams and picking up Bradley... It's one of those rare situations where you lose a really good player but replace him with a great player.

As for Henry, you can't teach 6'6'' 225 at the shooting guard spot. He is also a great athlete, and a great shooter. Henry is the prototype NBA shooting guard.

Last edited:
I don't know enough to really put together a top 5 but I do know that I would take Bradley over Henry. It is just a personal preference on the limited knowledge that I have of the 2. Bradley seems like a coaches dream, he is smooth on offense and plays great defense. I think texas could be really good next year with him and Hamilton.

I think they will get better by losing Abrams and picking up Bradley... It's one of those rare situations where you lose a really good player but replace him with a great player.

As for Henry, you can't teach 6'6'' 225 at the shooting guard spot. He is also a great athlete, and a great shooter. Henry is the prototype NBA shooting guard.

Henry's perimeter shooting will give him an edge over Bradley. Teams are going to back off Bradley and let him prove he can shoot at the college level. If Texas has a lineup with Balbay and Mason alongside Bradley they will struggle. If they but Lucas and Williams out there, it frees Bradley up to slash. I'm convinced Bradley will be the point. He's a much better point prospect solely on speed and ballhandling. I think he's on the ball more and Lucas, who's a better spot up guy plays on the wing like Keiton Page did.

Last edited:
Henry's perimeter shooting will give him an edge over Bradley. Teams are going to back off Bradley and let him prove he can shoot at the college level. If Texas has a lineup with Balbay and Mason alongside Bradley they will struggle. If they but Lucas and Williams out there, it frees Bradley up to slash. I'm convinced Bradley will be the point. He's a much better point prospect solely on speed and ballhandling. I think he's on the ball more and Lucas, who's a better spot up guy plays on the wing like Keiton Page did.

Do you agree with the top 5 list, dirty? I know you know quite a bit about Burks, does he belong there at #5?

I think if you had to rank them you should go Henry, Bradley, McGruder, Burks, and Dennis. Dennis may not be the worst prospect, but he'll have less court time than the others. Burks is still more of a project. His ballhandling is very suspect and the drive opportunities that he thrived on High School will diminish in College. I watched Burk vs. Bradley Beal in the Missouri State Championship and both had outstanding games and both had 20plus points at the half. The difference between the two were night and day. Beal's game is so smoothe and effortless and Burk's game reminded you of the overdribbling display that Lenny Cooke put against Lebron James in the ABCD camp.

Burk's game basically is like Ray Willis. You see the talent there, but he's not a finished product.

Last edited:
1.) Xavier Henry (6'6'' 225)- KANSAS
Selected as a Mcdonalds All-American. Rated as the #3 shooting guard in the country by Rivals.com. Rated as the #8 overall player in the class of 2009 by Rivals.com. Total package at shooting guard, averaged 28.7 points per game at Putnam City. Additionally, he connected on 55 percent of his field goals, 64 percent of his two point field goals and 43 percent of his shots from behind the arc. Had 14 points, 5 rebounds, 2 steals, and 2 assists in the Mcdonalds game.

2.) Avery Bradley (6'3'' 180)- TEXAS
-Selected as a Mcdonalds All-American. Rated as the #1 shooting guard in the country by Rivals.com. Rated as the #4 overall player in the class of 2009 by rivals.com. Great athlete, great player, great NBA prospect. Scored 15 points in the Mcdonalds All-American game.

3.) Rodney Mcgruder (6'4'' 195)- KANSAS STATE
-Selected as a Reebok All-American. Rated as the #20 shooting guard in the country by Rivals.com. Rated as the #84 overall player. Named MVP of the Reebok All-American game after scoring 24 points and grabbing 7 rebounds. Streaky shooter, but known as a great slasher who can finish at the rim.

4.) Nolan Dennis (6'5'' 185)- BAYLOR
-Versatile guard who chose Baylor in the late signing period over UCONN and Oklahoma. Can play 3 guard positions. Rated as the #15 shooting guard in the country by Rivals.com, and also the #58 overall player. Averaged 21.4 points and 10.1 rebounds as a senior this year. Rated as the #1 player in Texas by Texas Roundball and #4 in Texas by TexasHoops.com

5.) Alec Burks (6'4'' 180)-COLORADO
-Named 2009 Missouri Gatorade Player of the Year this season as a senior. Averaged 23 points, seven rebounds, three assists and one and a half steals per game. Played against MU's Michael Dixon head to head and had 30 points, 14 rebounds, and 3 assists to advance to the 5A state championship game. Shot 54% from the field, 85% from the free throw line, and 44% from the 3pt line.

When Boo Williams played Athletes 1st, Pledger Guarded X. Henry head to head...Go to Hooptv and watch the game...Held him to 3 for 13 shooting, and scored 16 in the victory...

When Boo Williams played Athletes 1st, Pledger Guarded X. Henry head to head...Go to Hooptv and watch the game...Held him to 3 for 13 shooting, and scored 16 in the victory...

Pledger was also named by "rivals" tjhe best incoming shooter in the conf.

Sharp1, Steven is still a well kept secret at the national level as well as on this board. Let's keep it that way and then we can have the last laugh about half way through the season this fall. ;)

You have to love that. Just imagine if Pledger is so good that he starts. Can you imagine WW, TMG and a guy even better than Crocker, with Crocker coming off the bench.

Pledger is that good. The kid can play. With Steve it will be about how quickly he makes the adjustment to D-1 ball. This kid has elavated his game to being more than just a shooter. He's not scared at all to get in and do the dirty work. His body allows him to do this. I think thats the thing that some of our fans don't realize. Our newcomers have went up against each other in aau games numerous times. They have also went up against some of the newcomers coming into the league. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Pledger and his head to head match-up and Victories with other Big12 recruits
Team Texas...Rodger Franklin..5 for 17, Pledger..6 for 10 (2 of 3, from 3)...Boo Victory
California something or other..Jordan Hamilton 5 for 18, Pledger 5 for 8 ( 3 of 3 from 3)
Houston Hoops TMG 4 for 16 or 17, Pledger 5 for 10 (2 of 3 from 3)
Then after watching Pledger shoot and defend Dave Telpe or Evan Danials from scout called him Boo's best perrimeter defender.

--Steven Pledger, 6-foot-4 SG, 2009, Boo Williams 17U

Pledger had a huge weekend, and he’s now become a hot name in recruiting circles.
He put on a 3 point shooting exhibition.

Steven Pledger, of Virginia Beach (Va.) Atlantic Shores, started slow during his second game on Saturday, but after missing his first four looks, the 6-foot-4 guard got hot and stayed hot.

“I got my head back into it,” Pledger said. “I couldn’t get down because I was missing. I got my stuff right and started shooting with a little bit more arc and everything started falling.”

He finished with five three-pointers in that game against Albany City Rocks. He then proceeded to lead Boo Williams to a tournament championship with wins over Ny Guacho's, Houston Hoops and Athletes first.

Peach jam:
Steven Pledger, SG, Boo Williams – With Boo Williams down 11 and just eight minutes left in their game against the Georgia Stars( Glenn Rise Jr.), Pledger stepped up and knocked down some big shots. To go with a pair of threes he hit, he also knocked down a spot-up 18-footer and a 15 footer off the curl, Pledger Finished with 14 in the come from behind victory

*Boo Williams vs. YOMCA Memphis

Boo Williams took care of business and knocked off YOMCA, 54-39.

Boo Was led by the duo of Steven Pledger(2009) and Ricardo Ratliffe(2009). Pledger led the way for Boo with 13pts, and Ratliffe contributed 12pts, and 6rbs.

*Boo Williams vs. Team Odom

Team Odom has just not had any help this weekend for Jordan Hamilton and it showd once again as they took a 77-54 loss to the loaded Boo Williams team.

Boo Williams got help from everywhere but we will start with Marshawn Powell(2009) who has been a beast all week and is looking more and more like a big-time player everyday, he finished with 13pts, and 9rbs in this one. Florida commit DeShawn Painter had 14pts, and 5rbs and 6'4 W Steven Pledger(2009) chipped in 16pts and 3rbs.

Last edited:
Pledger is going to be outstanding and give OU some versatility as he can play the 2 & 3.
He's a perfect fit for this team with his ability to stretch a defense.

I agree.

I like players that will make a big impact on both ends of the court. That's why I give Bradley the nod.

Bradley is not the player that Henry is. He's a higher energy guy and more explosive, but not near skilled.

Bradley is not the player that Henry is. He's a higher energy guy and more explosive, but not near skilled.

Bradley may not be the player that Henry is on offense, but he's not far behind. The game doesn't stop with offense though. Henry is not the player that Bradley is on defense. Give me the player that will make an impact on both ends, not one.

Back