Recruiting 2010

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
abd made a really good point in another thread that got me feeling uneasy. Other than Cameron Clark (and obviously T.J. Taylor), I don't feel like we are leading on any of our top basketball targets. Last year, I felt really good about Pledger, TMG (and even a few other PG recruits), and Tiny before they committed. I don't feel as good about Cothron, Pressey, McCallum, Jones, Johnson, Releford, or Barnes. We are going to have as many as six spots to fill, and it is discomforting knowing that there is a good chance that we might strike out on a lot of these guys.

I guess that's just the nature of the beast when you go after the best of the best, but it still kind of sucks. I just wish we knew who are plan B guys were now. haha

Capel did say in a recent interview with Al that he felt "really, really good" about the 2010 recruits, so hopefully he is right!

Capel did say in a recent interview with Al that he felt "really, really good" about the 2010 recruits, so hopefully he is right!

This is what I'm going to hang my hat on until I see otherwise. I heard the interview and he sounded very confident.

As long as we get Clark to go with Taylor and Tiny doesn't bolt early, which I don't think he'll be in a position to even though he thinks he will be, I think we'll be fine for the next season, even if Capel misses out some of those A-list targets.

In the end, I think Capel will get his share though.

I agree about not feeling good about guys other than Clark. If I had to GUESS, here is where I'd guess our target recruits will go.

Cam Clark - OU
Ray McCallum - Detroit (Dad)
Harrison Barnes - Duke
Phil Pressey - LSU or Baylor (why not, Drew seems to have deep pockets)
Luke Cothron - NC State or Alabama
Terrance Jones - Arizona State or Washington

The only other guy I felt good about besides Clark was Tobi Oyedeji and he's gone.

James Johnson is pretty interesting. OU is probably is best offer. Maybe he'll commit.

ABD says that we should field a team made entirely of jucos and foreign big men.

The good news is that there may be a whole group of guys that we don't know about. The recruiting info has been harder to come by this year for some reason.

LOL. The Texas Tech method? They were 3-13 and finished 11th in the Big 12 last year. I'll pass on that idea.

I remember about 4 years ago when Bob Knight made the change. It seems like he hated Kelvin and Eddie and all the juco's they had, then one day he announced that he was going to start filling his roster with them.

I'll never understand why he did that. He used to get guys like Andre Emmett, Jarrius Jackson and Ronald Ross. Now they get guys like Esmir Risvic and Damar Suljagic.

LOL. The Texas Tech method? They were 3-13 and finished 11th in the Big 12 last year. I'll pass on that idea.

I remember about 4 years ago when Bob Knight made the change. It seems like he hated Kelvin and Eddie and all the juco's they had, then one day he announced that he was going to start filling his roster with them.

I'll never understand why he did that. He used to get guys like Andre Emmett, Jarrius Jackson and Ronald Ross. Now they get guys like Esmir Risvic and Damar Suljagic.

I don't think it is all by choice. Beggers can't be choosers....

ABD says that we should field a team made entirely of jucos and foreign big men.

Lol... I could assemble a very good team of Big 12 foreign and juco players. NCAA Tournament team no doubt.

OU will sign at least 1 juco in 2010, and possibly 2. As for foreign big guys, I would love for Capel to land a really talented Euro player.

Lol... I could assemble a very good team of Big 12 foreign and juco players. NCAA Tournament team no doubt.

OU will sign at least 1 juco in 2010, and possibly 2. As for foreign big guys, I would love for Capel to land a really talented Euro player.

You're guessing here. OU MIGHT sign a Juco, and I would be surprised if we signed two.

You would rather have Steven Pledger than Jamie Vanderbeeken (sp) right? You would rather have Fitzgerald than that C from Aussie that is playing for Colorado, right? I would hope so....

We will know this year if the "Texas Tech" method is going to pass or fail. Pat Knight really likes his talent and athletic ability, and a lot of that is juco. He will start 2 juco guys (Okorie and Reese or Jenkins), and Tairu, Reese or Jenkins, and Darko will all be main rotation players.

Tech has 6 junior college players on roster in 2009-2010.

Nick Okorie
David Tairu
Brad Reese
Theron Jenkins
Darko Cohaderavic
Wally Dunn

If they dont win this year with Roberson, Singletary, Lewandowski, Okorie, and all the other juco guys (who were the guys he wanted, not guys they settled for) then it wont work.

We will know this year if the "Texas Tech" method is going to pass or fail. Pat Knight really likes his talent and athletic ability, and a lot of that is juco. He will start 2 juco guys (Okorie and Reese or Jenkins), and Tairu, Reese or Jenkins, and Darko will all be main rotation players.

Tech has 6 junior college players on roster in 2009-2010.

Nick Okorie
David Tairu
Brad Reese
Theron Jenkins
Darko Cohaderavic
Wally Dunn

If they dont win this year with Roberson, Singletary, Lewandowski, Okorie, and all the other juco guys (who were the guys he wanted, not guys they settled for) then it wont work.

They won't win this year because the league is too good (the same reason why Colorado won't win). Both of those teams are staring at a CBI at best (with Tech having a small NIT chance).

This year is not a very good example because this has the potential to be the Big 12's best year in basketball.

You're guessing here. OU MIGHT sign a Juco, and I would be surprised if we signed two.

You would rather have Steven Pledger than Jamie Vanderbeeken (sp) right? You would rather have Fitzgerald than that C from Aussie that is playing for Colorado, right? I would hope so....

I would much rather have Pledger than Vanderbeken, but I cant think of a team who couldnt find a spot for Vanderbeken. I think every team will take a 6'11'' guy who can shoot 45% of his 3pointers. OU could use Vanderbeken this year for some scoring out of the post positions. Dont you think?

If you put Andrew Fitzgerald (OU) and Shane Harris-Tunks (CU) on the table for me to recruit, I would probably take Harris-Tunks. Tunks can shoot out to the 3pt line, is 6'11'', a great passer, and college basketball has had great success with centers out of Australia who came to the US with similar credentials and out of the same basketball academy as Tunks..(Luke Neville, Andrew Bogut, AJ Ogilvy).

I would take Marquis Gilstrap (juco to ISU) over Stephen Pledger... I would take Dragan Sekelja (Euro center to Baylor) over Andrew Fitzgerald...

I take it you wouldnt make those moves?

Last edited:
They won't win this year because the league is too good (the same reason why Colorado won't win). Both of those teams are staring at a CBI at best (with Tech having a small NIT chance).

This year is not a very good example because this has the potential to be the Big 12's best year in basketball.

Compete I guess is a better word. We will know if those guys can play with the guys Texas, OU, KU, KSU, and O-State are putting on the floor whether they win or not. I know its a really difficult league this year, but we will know if they can play.

I would much rather have Pledger than Vanderbeken, but I cant think of a team who couldnt find a spot for Vanderbeken. I think every team will take a 6'11'' guy who can shoot 45% of his 3pointers. OU could use Vanderbeken this year for some scoring out of the post positions. Dont you think?

If you put Andrew Fitzgerald (OU) and Shane Harris-Tunks (CU) on the table for me to recruit, I would probably take Harris-Tunks. Tunks can shoot out to the 3pt line, is 6'11'', a great passer, and college basketball has had great success with centers out of Australia who came to the US with similar credentials and out of the same basketball academy as Tunks..(Luke Neville, Andrew Bogut, AJ Ogilvy).

I would take Marquis Gilstrap (juco to ISU) over Stephen Pledger... I would take Dragan Sekelja (Euro center to Baylor) over Andrew Fitzgerald...

No, I wouldn't take any of those picks. Fitzgerald is a Reebok AA that played on a team with Jordan AA in the post (and two other D1 guys) and still led the team in scoring and might have led the team in rebounding. I would much rather take a chance on Drew than on two crapshoot players. Could the Aussie and Euro guys be better? Yeah, but it is not a risk that I would take. If Tunks was that good then someone else would have gotten him. Who knows what Drew did to get Dragan! haha

As for Gilstrap, nope I wouldn't trade a top 100, 4 year sharpshooter for a JUCO. Not these days. I do think Gilstrap has a chance to be good, but I wouldn't feel comfortable trading with ISU.

I think you get pretty clouded trying to root for the little guy. The rankings don't usually lie. There is a reason that most of those types go to lesser programs....

Can you give us some links to the video you've seen of these guys? I'd like to check them out.

ESPN ranks Tunks as the #22 center in the country
He is a two star and unranked according to rivals
He is a two star and unranked via scout

But abd knows best.....

I am not saying that he won't end up better than Fitzgerald (he might) but all sings point to Fitzgerald. I am glad :jcapel got the guy he did.

ESPN ranks Tunks as the #22 center in the country
He is a two star and unranked according to rivals
He is a two star and unranked via scout

But abd knows best.....

International guys never get proper ratings.

If Tunks was that good then someone else would have gotten him.

He chose CU over Gonzaga, Vandy, and Washington State. CU has another Aussie on their (point guard, Nate Tomlinson) which probably helped get Tunks.

I am not saying that he won't end up better than Fitzgerald (he might) but all sings point to Fitzgerald.

I think Fitz is going to have a really good career at OU, but I also think Tunks will start at CU from day one and have a really good career there as well.

Can you give us some links to the video you've seen of these guys? I'd like to check them out.

No video of Tunks or Sekelja, although rivals said that Sekelja would be a 5-star elite prospect in the United States and ESPN said that Tunks is the #1 guy out of Australia this year.

Here is video of Gilstrap (ISU)... He is 6'6'', athletic, good shooter, can handle well, etc. He will have a much bigger impact in 2 years than Pledge will his first two years. I would trade Pledger for him. straight up. He could be Big 12 Newcomer of the Year.

PG: TMG
SG: WW
SF: Gilstrap
PF: Gallon
C: Somebody

Give me that lineup and OU can win the Big 12.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI9G7eMDnUI[/ame]

Last edited:
International guys never get proper ratings.

He chose CU over Gonzaga, Vandy, and Washington State. CU has another Aussie on their (point guard, Nate Tomlinson) which probably helped get Tunks.

I think Fitz is going to have a really good career at OU, but I also think Tunks will start at CU from day one and have a really good career there as well.

thats not saying much... your whole point is these players will play earlier.. well no crap they are bad.. pledger would start at CU as well as fitzgerald imo

thats not saying much... your whole point is these players will play earlier.. well no crap they are bad.. pledger would start at CU as well as fitzgerald imo

Pledger wouldnt start over Higgins or Thorne at CU.

When did Pledger become Kobe Bryant?

Pledger wouldnt start over Higgins or Thorne at CU.

When did Pledger become Kobe Bryant?

When did Gilstrap become Kobe Bryant? You think Gilstrap would beat out a three year starter and senior leader at OU and then lead us to winning the Big 12? You are nuts.

So Tunks starts at CU from day one, so what? That means very little to me.

As for your offer list, there is nothing written about Vandy offering that I could find. Link please. Also, ESPN and Scout show no other offers, so I guess Rivals just dug a little deeper? NVM found the Vandy offer.

Last edited:
Back