Recruiting thoughts

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Ok, with some new names entering the fold, I wanted to share my thoughts on OU basketball recruiting for 2010.

First, how many scholarships does OU have left to give for 2010? Right now, they have 3. Tony Crocker, Ryan Wright, and Beau Gerber are all scholarship players that will graduate this year. Current signees T.J. Taylor and Cam Clark have their scholarships accounted for by the open roster spot that the Sooners currently have on the team, and, by the fact that Willie Warren will be going pro next season. I know some of you are holding out that he may come back, but those close to the situation have already guaranteed that he is gone no matter what. So 5 ships to give, with 2 players already signed.

Here is where I hope the 3 ships go:

1 JUCO big man
1 Prep big man
1 JUCO/defensive prep wing

JUCO big man:

1. Aziz Ndiaye - should be a our top target. This 7 footer from the college of Southern Idaho has had some really nice things said about him by the top college evaluators. He is blessed with really nice hands (which bucks the trend of the average African big), can move well, shows skill around the basket, and has the body to be able to help us on the glass and in the shot-blocking department NEXT YEAR. The question mark with Ndiaye is how will he come off of his knee injury that ended his season this year before it even started. Washington, Oregon State, Duke, and several others are after this talented 7 footer. He would have 3 years to play 3 at OU.

2. Ricardo Ratliffe - I am really starting to think that Coach Capel got on him too late for us to have a chance. I am predicting that he will go to Florida. He would be a great addition to this team.

3. Illiwa Baldwin - This 6-11 Aussie has a nice build to him and is known for his rebounding and shot blocking. He would have 3 to play 2 at OU.

Prep Big

1. Will Yeguette - Yeguette is an absolute monster on the glass even though he is only 6-7. He is all effort and has some serious athleticism. Known as a classic undersized, blue collar guy. I think he could come in and really help the team on the glass next year.

2. Jon Horford - 6-9 skilled power forward. I am not sure what kind of shape that OU is to land him.

3. Barry Honore - Coach Capel was quoted as saying that Barry was "much better than we thought he was going to be" after he had been in Norman for a month. He has a lot of skills and a nice looking jumper with range. IF he takes his conditioning seriously, he could be a guy that earns a scholarship next season.

Wing

1. Tony Smith - A 6-4, long guard that can play the point. Known as a guy that plays on both ends of the floor. I think he would be perfect next year for this team.

BONUS

1. Terrence Jones - I don't think I need to say anything about TJones. I hope to God that Capel finds a way to land him, but I am not going to get my hopes up. I am sure that OU would find a way to get him a scholarship if he wants to be a Sooner.

I hope Capel learns something about composition this season. Too many stars at once is hard to manage. You need the blue collar workers to balance things out, and have a few superstars to throw into the mix that can provide the explosiveness.

I'm sure Coach Capel knows this fully well, and I have faith in him to put together a roster than can hustle as well as they shine.

I hope Capel learns something about composition this season. Too many stars at once is hard to manage. You need the blue collar workers to balance things out, and have a few superstars to throw into the mix that can provide the explosiveness.

I'm sure Coach Capel knows this fully well, and I have faith in him to put together a roster than can hustle as well as they shine.

What!? I disagree, we need to recruit the best players possible. Superstars just need to hustle.

First and foremost I want a 6'7-6'8 guy with a lean build, great athleticism and the ability to be a lockdown defender. (JUCO)

Secondly, I would love to have a scoring guard to bring off the bench. Like a Terrell Everett. (JUCO)

With the third 'ship I would love to land a legit center. 6'10-7'0 with some offensive potential and a ready to rebound right now mentality. (High School)

I agree with CO. You need a few defensive stoppers/ garbage guys who will do the dirty work. Taking charges, diving for loose balls, guys committed to stopping the other teams best scorer.

This team needs some fundamentally sound kids with high BBall IQs to mix in with the superstars. I believe scoring won't be a problem next year. The defense has to get better.

If we land N'Diaye and if he comes in and earns a starting spot, my concern is that's gonna force Tiny to guard the other teams' 4. I was kind of thinking we'd find an athletic big, like a Ratliffe type, who could come in and be a solid inside player with the athletcism to guard the 4 and let Tiny take the other teams' 5.

But if N'Diaye has the upside everybody thinks he has, then you have to take him. And if that were the case, I'm guessing we'd sign another 4 type as well since we have three ships to give.

If we land N'Diaye and if he comes in and earns a starting spot, my concern is that's gonna force Tiny to guard the other teams' 4. I was kind of thinking we'd find an athletic big, like a Ratliffe type, who could come in and be a solid inside player with the athletcism to guard the 4 and let Tiny take the other teams' 5.

But if N'Diaye has the upside everybody thinks he has, then you have to take him. And if that were the case, I'm guessing we'd sign another 4 type as well since we have three ships to give.

You're assuming that N'Diaye is going to come in here and be a 30 plus minute starter. That probably isn't the case. I just want a guy that will come in when someone like Tiny get's in foul trouble, and hold down the fort defensively and on hte glass. You have brought up a very solid point, because we dont have a guy who defensively can guard a four. Fitz has hards times of it and TJones and Ratliffe are the only guys we're recruiting that can do it. Chico may not like to hear this, but Cameron is going to see some pt at the four probably. I think that's a good thing. I think he can do some things like James Anderson at the Four, but he's alot better off the dribble and it's not feast or famine for Cam, he has a mid range game so he doesnt have to get all the way to the cup. Honore is another guy who might log some minutes at the four. I've found a youtube clip of him and was very impressed with his activity. He's very solid at establishing post position, screening, and denial and blocking out on the defensive end. He runs the court great.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQtCUbo_NgU[/ame]

Back