Revolutions in Recruiting

campbest

Reaction score
Read an interesting article from the print edition of Sports Illustrated this past weekend about collegiate recruiting (in this case it was basketball specific) and how it has evolved over the past 25 years.

It touched on the idea, which I happen to agree with, on how the recruiting letter is almost obsolete. Now, I want to note that I'm not talking about personalized letters to individual recruits, but the mass mailings which go out everyday to probably 100 different prospects. They interviewed a few high school players (one was a top 100 prospect), and all of them said they just throw most of it away without reading the material.

Has anybody seen this article?

Some schools are beginning to drop their mail count in order to say money, if schools can save an estimated $100,000 by not printing media guides every year, there has to be the same signigicant financial gain by not printing this useless material.

I think OU, especially with Capel, should get on this bandwagon. Does anybody agree?

Don't be foolish.....somebody has to keep the post office in business! In all seriousness I think most of that kind of mailing could be done away with but I am not a coach of AD so I guess we will just have to wait and see.

I'm sure you're right, the majority of those mailings are a total waste of time and money. Yet, I've also got to believe they serve a purpose. Direct mail advertising campaigns work the same way. You know from the start the percentages on the returns will be low. But, it's a volume game that relies on getting a few hits from a mass mailing of letters and brochures to let kids know you have an interest in them. If I was a coach, I would rather spend that money then let someone else beat me to the punch and find myself on the outside looking in with these recruits. They may throw most of the stuff they get in the trash, but they still remember it.

You made some excellent points and I agree with most of them. I just can't think of a cheaper way to make that initial contact with so many potential recruits at the same time.

You made some excellent points and I agree with most of them. I just can't think of a cheaper way to make that initial contact with so many potential recruits at the same time.

My fault, Ada, should of specified. I still agree with sending out questionnaires, "introductory" info and personalized notes/letters.

Back when I was in high school, Oregon used to send out 1-2 mailings a day...most of which got immediately thrown in the trash because they were newspaper clippings or xeroxed copies. You have to figure there are probably hundred's of recruits getting the exact same thing.

My fault, Ada, should of specified. I still agree with sending out questionnaires, "introductory" info and personalized notes/letters.

Back when I was in high school, Oregon used to send out 1-2 mailings a day...most of which got immediately thrown in the trash because they were newspaper clippings or xeroxed copies. You have to figure there are probably hundred's of recruits getting the exact same thing.

Actually, campbest, now that I've read your post again you said you were talking about daily mailings to recruits. I just overlooked that part. I definitely agree with eliminating a lot of follow up material. Kids get tired of stuff like that, just like I (and a lot of others I suspect) grow weary of the mountains of junk mail I receive. Consider me on board with your suggestions for cutting those costs!

Back