Rickey Scott = Jon Roberson?

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Elmocarp brought up a good point likening Rickey Scott and Jon Roberson of Texas Tech. As you may recall, Jon was ready to be a Sooner, but Capel couldn't give him a definite scholarship offer so Roberson went to Tech. Capel was holding out on landing Jai Lucas, and we all know how that ended.

Rankingswise, the two are similar. Both are 65-90 ranking players. Scott has offers from Tech, A&M, Baylor, and KState. Roberson had similar Big 12 offers. I am sure that Coach Capel has learned some valuable lessons from the Lucas recruitment, so it will be interesting to see what he decides to do with Scott.

I can't help but hope that we offer the kid because he has been an OU basketball fan growing up, and it is good to get kids like that in your program....

I trust that Capel will make the best choice and will support whatever he chooses on the matter....

Just take Scott.... If you have a really good player that wants to join your program, give the others a "take it or leave it" situation and then take Scott if you dont land your #1 guy....

TJ Taylor, TMG, Ricky Scott... OU would have 3 guys who can play point guard.

Hasn't it been suggested that a factor in the Lucas deal was establishing a connection in Houston area and more specifically John Lucas JR (which appears to have payed off with TMG)?
I think that makes this situation a little different as the two big PG recruits (Pressey and McCallum) don't have that added dynamic in them.

I defended the Roberson thing because even though we didn't wind up with Jai, I thought it was a great way in with Houston Hoops and John Lucas. I still think it contributed in a major way to getting TMG and Tiny.

That said, its gonna be hard to be an apologist for this one if we wind up empty handed again. I will say this though...the biggest knock on Scott's game is that his jumper just isn't there yet. Maybe Capel figures there isn't any room for a guard who can't shoot it, I dunno...

I think more than anything I will just try to be encouraged that OU is in with enough players to hold off on offering the #55 guy in the nation...

Time will tell...

Just take Scott.... If you have a really good player that wants to join your program, give the others a "take it or leave it" situation and then take Scott if you dont land your #1 guy....

TJ Taylor, TMG, Ricky Scott... OU would have 3 guys who can play point guard.

I agree with abd on this. If Scott wants to come and we like him, give the guys who are slightly higher on our wish list one last chance to commit. If not, then I don't think taking a national top 60 guy is a bad fallback plan.

I think we've got our PG for the next four years in TMG, so if we can add another combo like Scott to go with Taylor I say go ahead and do it and not hold off too long.

I did read where Scott isn't that great of a 3-point shooter, which concerns me some. I'd like all of our guards to be able to hit the three, but he must have some game to get that ranking from Rivals.

Anyway, I'm guessing the guys we're holding out for are Pressey and McCallum? Have we offered Releford? McCallum seems like a longshot, and it appears Pressey still has a long list so I'm not sure we can pass on a talent like Scott waiting for them.

But, Capel obviously knows where he stands with those guys better than I do so there's a reason he's holding off. Just would hate to lose out on a Top 60 guy though.

Last edited:
Plus, can you imagine the kind of strength OU would have in the backcourt? TMG, Pledger, TJ Taylor and Scott? Seriously? That would look like a good secondary...

Plus, can you imagine the kind of strength OU would have in the backcourt? TMG, Pledger, TJ Taylor and Scott? Seriously? That would look like a good secondary...

Exactly. We would have the potential to be a really, really good defensive backcourt.

The common factor in all those guys that you mentioned is that they all work really hard in the weight room and in the practice gym. It would be a really nice group of 4 year players.

Nice points made in this post. However, I'm glad Coach Capel did what he did on the Roberson situation. We established recruiting ties in a area that is basketball rich. To the posters who still think we made a mistake with Roberson. Please tell me what he's done at tech? Also you guys might want to prepare yourselves because we won't win every recruiting battle. When you're trying to raise the level of the program by recruiting the best players. You will lose sometimes. KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING COACH CAPEL! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Nice points made in this post. However, I'm glad Coach Capel did what he did on the Roberson situation. We established recruiting ties in a area that is basketball rich. To the posters who still think we made a mistake with Roberson. Please tell me what he's done at tech? Also you guys might want to prepare yourselves because we won't win every recruiting battle. When you're trying to raise the level of the program by recruiting the best players. You will lose sometimes. KEEP DOING WHAT YOU'RE DOING COACH CAPEL! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

I am glad that we made the ties with Lucas/houston, but let's not kid ourselves and act like Roberson wouldn't have started at OU. It would have allowed AJ to play the position that he came to OU to play, and that he wanted to play....SG. I would have loved to have gotten Roberson. I think he is a real solid player.

Not to get the thread away from it's original discussion, but I sure wish we hadn't passed on Mike Singletary from Texas Tech. He'd look awfully sweet filling in for Taylor next year as an athletic inside-out four-man who can also bang inside on defense. Wonder why we didn't offer that beast?

All right now Capel, don't let us down here...

Judging from this thread there are at least 4 OU fans that will be needing an explanation if this plan backfires...

Gotta say I agree with abd on this, I not only love the kid's attitude and personality, but I always kind of gravitate towards the recruits that keep moving up the more people see them, so Rickey Scott was a guy I had really been hoping we would get in on. Then it turns out we are and that he supposedly would love to commit, but we are holding back on the offer...frustrating...

The thing I really don't get is that it isn't like there aren't a ton of ships out there right now. I mean seriously, how many do we have to offer? 6 right? 5 with TJ committed, right? Then 3 or possibly 4 more after next season right?

Its things like this that remind me to let the guys who get paid handle things. Capel isn't recruiting kids because of where they are ranked, he is going after the guys who he thinks are the best and who fit his style the best. As always...

...in Capel I trust...

Not to get the thread away from it's original discussion, but I sure wish we hadn't passed on Mike Singletary from Texas Tech. He'd look awfully sweet filling in for Taylor next year as an athletic inside-out four-man who can also bang inside on defense. Wonder why we didn't offer that beast?

Roberson and Singletary were recruiting mistakes. No way around that and I bet Capel is willing to admit that. I hope the lesson learned is that a bird in than hand is better than two in the bush.

Roberson and Singletary were recruiting mistakes. No way around that and I bet Capel is willing to admit that. I hope the lesson learned is that a bird in than hand is better than two in the bush.

Yes, they were. But Capel also learned never to spread the recruiting wealth so thin there is no room for a back up plan. That's the difference in OU recruiting in 2010 and in Jeff's first two seasons.

One has to believe that with the number of top rated recruits OU is in on in next year's class, we will sign a quality player to fill every need.

You can't just look at one class though sometimes you have to look at two or three. There's a good chance that if John Roberson is at OU that TMG doesn't come. It all works out.
Capel shoots for the stars. That's how he got Blake, WW, Gallon, TMG, etc.
We don't want to go back to the days of settling.

Yes the players do sound very similar but the big difference has been mentioned, we have more scholarships to give this year. I think Capel will offer Scott. No personal info or anything just a hunch after reading

You can't just look at one class though sometimes you have to look at two or three. There's a good chance that if John Roberson is at OU that TMG doesn't come. It all works out.

The title shot was with Roberson, not TMG. You could have had a first class point guard (Roberson), a lottery pick at shooting guard (Warren), the national player of the year and #1 NBA draft pick (Griffin), and a couple of 3 year starters at the other two spots....

I really think passing on Roberson cost OU a chance at a championship.

The title shot was with Roberson, not TMG. You could have had a first class point guard (Roberson), a lottery pick at shooting guard (Warren), the national player of the year and #1 NBA draft pick (Griffin), and a couple of 3 year starters at the other two spots....

I think losing to UNC cost OU a chance at a championship. I know it isn't popular to defend AJ, especially now that he is gone, but I don't see how Roberson is such a terrific upgrade over AJ. And while he is a very good shooter and pretty quick player, his defense is pretty terrible.

OU lost to one of the only teams that SHOULD have beaten them. If they had been on the other side of the bracket, I think they would have been just as likely as Michigan State to come through to the championship game. But UNC had it going and no one was gonna beat them.

I wonder if MSU regrets not offering Roberson?

ABD that's just silly talk. Roberson isn't a "first class point guard".

Back