Shocker in Lubbock?T

Under Kelvin we usually didn't have freshmen that were guys that can play like our freshmen can now. Maybe a few years he would have a couple good freshmen but not 4 that can play. He had to get JUCOs to get the program started and he got lucky with some guys. Brewer, Edrmann, Newton, Ace McGee, Nolan Johnson, but after McGee, Ere, Quannas, and Selvy left there weren't as many jucos unless it filled a spot. Everett was one, Taj Gray was another, but there were less and less. Since Capel's been here almost none of the JUCOs have really worked out. Leary was a solid backup and Patillo showed hints of being a solid player, but he isn't around anymore.

Until we get our system implemented more and have more guys that know how to play this program for a few years we'll have some up and down years like this one. I'm not sure if Capel will go the JUCO route Kelvin went, and he probably won't have to if we keep getting the talent we've been getting.

Brewer, Edrmann, Newton, Ace McGee, Nolan Johnson, but after McGee, Ere, Quannas, and Selvy

If this talent was still there, I'd be right behind Abd listing juco players, but it's not. To think, we got Ere, McGee, and quannas all in the same class. You'd be hard to find anyone as good as those guys in Juco period now.

The JUCOs aren't as good now as they were even 5 or 6 years ago. Taj Gray was the last great JUCO we really got, and we got Everett around that same time who was also a solid player. I don't know if either one of those 2 is as good as the other guys from the 90s and early 00s that I mentioned. We also recruited some of those guys at out of HS. Ere was a big one of those we got out of HS

Back