SLAM Fresh 50 list (Updated)

Love to see T.J. getting love but I am disappointed not to see Cam on the list.

It sounds like we have, as of today, two of the Top 50 players in this recruiting class coming in with Taylor being somewhere in the 35-50 range and Cam being somewhere in the 25-35 range according to most observers. Is that a fair assumption?

If so, and without including other players that we might bring in like a Terrance Jones [who HAS to be seeing the role Crocker is playing on this team and salivating at a shot of playing it], Capel has done a fantastic job of bringing high level talent since he has arrived.

BTW, I know "recruiting" means "nothing" to some posters, so feel free not to respond. Thanks in advance.

FWIW, same site consistently labels Cam as likely the best player in Texas. Hopefully Cam gets a little McDAA love. It benefits the program having kids in that game...seems like the OU kids have found ways to shine at that event in the past.

I don't think most sites have T.J. as a top 35-50 range, rivals and scout have him in the lower half of their top 100s. Though a lot of it is as a factor of T.J. breaking his ankle earlier this year therefore not allowing him to play in the big national tournaments. I think T.J. is a bit of a sleeper in this class because of his ankle injury, as if I recall correctly ESPN had him in their top 50 before it happened, and I bet he would've made a jump in rivals and scouts' rankings if he had played in national tournaments. So I guess in short Mr.B I don't think we officially have two top 50 players but T.J. is very close to being one.

The one thing that struck me about T.J. was how physically developed his body was, not many guards heading into Division I are that physically mature. Even though it was a highlight tape, T.J.'s shot looked a lot better than I previously thought.

As for Cam, his mid-range game is obviously solid. I just hope people aren't putting too much hype on this guy to come in and be starter right away, that's some pretty high expectations for any freshman.

Also, I've given up on Jones.

The one thing that struck me about T.J. was how physically developed his body was, not many guards heading into Division I are that physically mature. Even though it was a highlight tape, T.J.'s shot looked a lot better than I previously thought.

As for Cam, his mid-range game is obviously solid. I just hope people aren't putting too much hype on this guy to come in and be starter right away, that's some pretty high expectations for any freshman.

Also, I've given up on Jones.
T.J. was just on that game, I've seen him play a couple of other times this year in some preseason tournaments and I have never seen shot as well as he did this past Friday. His second quarter and the start of the third was just an unbelievable run, like he was in the zone or something. I don't think he will shoot like that in college in a consistent basis but it does show he has a good shoot and will have moments when he can just fill it up.

From what I've heard too his three point shot has improved substantially recently as previously he was more of a mid range and take it to the rack player. But now he looks a lot more comfortable out on the perimeter and it shows in confidence when shooting.

Yep, I'll be curious where TJ ends up in the final rankings. Sounds for sure like we got two of the top three or four players in Texas, do that every year and you should be allright ;-)

Tj allways play in a higher gear when he play Sherman,thats they rival but the kid should be in the top 50 and would have been if his foot held up.Because sherman&denison is small towns and Dallas morning News dont report their stats anymore Cam&tj dont get the publicity like the other top kids.I know OUhoops do they part thank God for that but we need more from the ones who have a impact on the decision.

Tj allways play in a higher gear when he play Sherman,thats they rival but the kid should be in the top 50 and would have been if his foot held up.Because sherman&denison is small towns and Dallas morning News dont report their stats anymore Cam&tj dont get the publicity like the other top kids.I know OUhoops do they part thank God for that but we need more from the ones who have a impact on the decision.

I think it tells a huge story about both that they are even on the radar. Neither guy played on high profile AAU teams until this year, and like you said, neither guy is part of a metropolis. If Cam were in Baltimore or Houston, he'd be regarded as a shoe in McD's candidate.

Back