Softball

If you watch the outfielders sprint onto the field for line drills rogers consistently noses out(no pun intended) Pendley If Mendes is trying she isn't as fast. She has the best arm, the outfielder with the best arm usually plays RF

Interesting comparison of regular season stats and national ranking to WCWS stats and WCWS rankings.

Stat-------R. Seas.-----Nat. Rkg----WCWS-----Trny Rkg

BA----------.330----------5th--------.220----------7th
ERA---------0.71---------2nd------- 1.04----------1st
Fld%-------.989----------1st---------.972---------2nd
HR/G-------1.34----------5th--------0.50----------7th
OBP--------.436----------1st---------.278----------7th
Scoring----6.96----------1st---------1.0------------8th
Slg%-------.547----------1st--------.290-----------8th

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_summary

http://stats.ncaa.org/rankings/ranking_summary

Realistically, the Rogers/Mendes speed thing is probably a push. I think Rogers should be the starting CF next year.

Last season, Mendes was unequivocally the fastest outfielder. That is the reason that Pendley and Mendes flipped with the Lowrey shift. This year, they did not flip because Pendley was faster. I am certain that Pendley was in best shape she had been at OU for her senior season at the same time Mendes was not as quick as the previous year. Rogers is every bit as fast as both Pendley and Mendes. However, she will not start in CF because she does not field as well as Mendes. She is getting better but she is not at that level. Patty will not compromise defense in CF. You realize that OU has only had two CFs in the past 8 years - Destinee Martinez and Nicole Pendley.

Last season, Mendes was unequivocally the fastest outfielder. That is the reason that Pendley and Mendes flipped with the Lowrey shift. This year, they did not flip because Pendley was faster. I am certain that Pendley was in best shape she had been at OU for her senior season at the same time Mendes was not as quick as the previous year. Rogers is every bit as fast as both Pendley and Mendes. However, she will not start in CF because she does not field as well as Mendes. She is getting better but she is not at that level. Patty will not compromise defense in CF. You realize that OU has only had two CFs in the past 8 years - Destinee Martinez and Nicole Pendley.

Yep. Loved Destinee and loved Nicole even more. I don't believe the average Sooners fan has any clue how good Nicole actually was – both in centerfield and at the plate – and what she meant to the team. Most underrated Sooner "great" in OU softball history.

None of the girls – outside of Alo – hit well in the WCWS. But throughout the regular season and into regionals, Pendley's ability to get timely hits, and do so with power, was remarkable. We will miss Nicole Pendley and I hope she has a great pro career.

Yep. Loved Destinee and loved Nicole even more. I don't believe the average Sooners fan has any clue how good Nicole actually was – both in centerfield and at the plate – and what she meant to the team. Most underrated Sooner "great" in OU softball history.

None of the girls – outside of Alo – hit well in the WCWS. But throughout the regular season and into regionals, Pendley's ability to get timely hits, and do so with power, was remarkable. We will miss Nicole Pendley and I hope she has a great pro career.

Agree totally. Loved NP, outstanding fielder and too many BIG and timely hits to count.

OU softball is getting a brand new stadium not just a renovation per next weeks regents agenda

This is what I was hoping for. I couldnt see how adding an insignificant number of seats for X dollars would be economical even in the short run.

I’m all for the new stadium. But why go to the trouble for only an additional 1,000 seats? Maybe the design is such they can add more later? I don’t know much about ticket demand, but 5,000 seats has a nice ring to it! 😄😄😄

I’m all for the new stadium. But why go to the trouble for only an additional 1,000 seats? Maybe the design is such they can add more later? I don’t know much about ticket demand, but 5,000 seats has a nice ring to it! 😄😄😄

Building a stadium that will, even in successful seasons, have multiple games where it is half-full, would be a disaster. Texas has that issue in football. I would build the stadium to be easily expanded to fill ever-increasing demand. "If you build it, they will come" rarely, if ever, works.

If they build a new facility with a seating capacity of 3,000 it would be the second largest facility in the country behind only Alabama with a capacity of 3,940. Louisiana University (Lafayette) seat 2,790, Michigan seats 2,640 and LSU 2,489 plus 1,000 berm seating. If the facility was designed to seat 3,000 without outfield seating then it could easily be expanded to seat 4,000 with temporary seats like what they have at MHF. Or design is with a berm for additional casual seating.

I don't go a lot but I have never been to a game that was full. Both regionals were listed as sold out but there were plenty of seats in the bleachers and I could see empty seats in the reserved seating. Same for the last few games of the regular season. The girls are wildly successful and more people follow them but following them and attending games are two different things.

I don't go a lot but I have never been to a game that was full. Both regionals were listed as sold out but there were plenty of seats in the bleachers and I could see empty seats in the reserved seating. Same for the last few games of the regular season. The girls are wildly successful and more people follow them but following them and attending games are two different things.

No different than the thousands of empty seats at soldout GFOMS or LNC. As long as games are played there will be plenty of no-shows. Peoples schedules change from the time they purchase tickets and games are played. It is what it is.

No different than the thousands of empty seats at soldout GFOMS or LNC. As long as games are played there will be plenty of no-shows. Peoples schedules change from the time they purchase tickets and games are played. It is what it is.

Yes, you will always have some no shows and that is why you build based on who does show up, not for who you hope will show up and then be left with empty seats. Especially since most teams are up and down and with it their attendance.

Yes, you will always have some no shows and that is why you build based on who does show up, not for who you hope will show up and then be left with empty seats. Especially since most teams are up and down and with it their attendance.

Ticket sales revenue is the driving force for facility capacity. It is great to have butts in the seats but it dollars that most schools need as 90% have athletic departments are operating in the red. Ditto for university budgets as OU is about $1 billion in the red. Facility capacity should keep demand high enough tosupport the maximum attendance at the highest ticket price.

Tough job finding that capacity point and Joe C. does have more information than fans for making a good decision.

Last edited:
Back