Softball

I'm not a diehard softball fan, so that's probably part of it, but I'm always amazed to see the criticisms of our team. How many games in a row did we win? 41?

I guess there's no such thing as a content fanbase.

I do follow OU softball closely, and I am often puzzled by fan reaction. The trend seems to be to worry about future games we may lose, rather that enjoy the accomplishments of today.

The fact is there are lots of very good softball teams. There were lots of seeded host teams that struggled to win their regionals on their home field. Sure, all of the seeded teams have advanced so far, but many had real fights to move on to the super-regionals.

It will be a tremendous accomplishment to win it all, even for the very best team. No team is significantly better than everybody else.

2019 has been a very successful season for Oklahoma, no matter what happens from here out. Of course, there will be disappointment from players, coaches and fans if OU gets knocked out of the tournament. Both baseball and softball are fickle endeavors, as bats can get hot and bats can go cold. Hitting slumps happen. Hopefully, the OU bats come alive this weekend, and beyond.

Realistically, the odds are against any particular team winning the championship. Many, if not most, games will come down to the last at-bat. Tight-fits will be the order of the day.

The loss to Wisconsin may be a blessing. The pressure of the win-streak is gone. There is enough pressure just trying to get wins in the tournament.

:OU-logo:

I do follow OU softball closely, and I am often puzzled by fan reaction. The trend seems to be to worry about future games we may lose, rather that enjoy the accomplishments of today.

The fact is there are lots of very good softball teams. There were lots of seeded host teams that struggled to win their regionals on their home field. Sure, all of the seeded teams have advanced so far, but many had real fights to move on to the super-regionals.

It will be a tremendous accomplishment to win it all, even for the very best team. No team is significantly better than everybody else.

2019 has been a very successful season for Oklahoma, no matter what happens from here out. Of course, there will be disappointment from players, coaches and fans if OU gets knocked out of the tournament. Both baseball and softball are fickle endeavors, as bats can get hot and bats can go cold. Hitting slumps happen. Hopefully, the OU bats come alive this weekend, and beyond.

Realistically, the odds are against any particular team winning the championship. Many, if not most, games will come down to the last at-bat. Tight-fits will be the order of the day.

The loss to Wisconsin may be a blessing. The pressure of the win-streak is gone. There is enough pressure just trying to get wins in the tournament.

Home Run post everything you said is right on with reality. Should OU make the WCWS I think they should be the top favorite to win it all but that percentage would be relatively small compared to the field.

I'm a believer in the weight of winning streaks and the relief of that stress being lifted. But here are the questions yesterdays game raised for me:

1) Was Lenz a better pitcher than we faced during the regular season?
2) If Lenz wasn't any better than we faced before, why did we have problems with her pitching?
3) Are future opponents going to try to replicate what Lenz did? Apparently, she only threw 2 types of pitches and we had a hard time with both of them.

Lenz was on .. at the top of her game. She had a nasty change-up working and the umps generally gave the pitchers a generous outside corner. The OU hitters failed to adjust to the situation, and that should be a concern.

The good news is that not all softball aces feature a nasty change-up in their repertoire, and you cannot master a pitch like that on short notice to use against a particular opponent. Also, the OU hitters have the opportunity to learn from the experience.

Could be lots of batting practice vs. the change-up this week.

Last edited:
Like I said earlier, the loss will take the pressure of worrying about the streak away, and hopefully renew our focus. I believe our veteran players will step up, and the bats will be ok. I also know most teams we will face from here on out, will also struggle to score against our pitching and defense. My daughter and I try to attend every WCWS, and we are ready to attend and watch the Sooners win another one this year.

Replay: Northwestern knows what it is like to play in Norman. OU and Northwestern played twice in Norman back in early March at the OU Home Tournament. What is past is not necessarily prologue. But here is some history.

Friday; March 8, 2019: Four Homers Propel OU to 7-0 Victory
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211794480

NORMAN – Four players homered while Giselle Juarez and Shannon Saile combined on a one-hitter to lead the No. 3/3 Oklahoma softball team to a 7-0 victory over RV/No. 25 Northwestern on Friday night at Marita Hynes Field.

With the win, the Sooners (17-2) extended their home winning streak to 38 games, good for the second-longest run in program history.

"(Tonight) was very well played all the way around," OU head coach Patty Gasso said. "Good pitching, very strong hitting — whether it started in the first or the fourth, it really doesn't matter, as long as it gets started. And, I thought the defense was really good... I thought it was probably one of our best-played games this season."

In the circle, Juarez improved to 7-0 on the year by allowing just one hit over 5.0 innings while striking out six and walking one.

Entering the weekend ranked second nationally in strikeouts per seven innings, Saile fanned five of the six batters she faced over the final 2.0 frames.

The Sooner offense was powered by home runs from freshman Grace Lyons and seniors Sydney Romero, Shay Knighten and Kylie Lundberg. (The Sooners scored 6 runs in the 4th inning.)

Sunday; March 10, 2019: Homestand Ends with Run-Rule Victory; 8-0
http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211794880

NORMAN – In its final contest of a season-long homestand, the No. 3/3 Oklahoma softball team earned an 8-0, five-inning win over RV/No. 25 Northwestern on Sunday afternoon at Marita Hynes Field.

The Sooners (20-2) finished the home stretch 7-0 to extend their home winning streak to 41 straight games, good for the second-longest streak in program history.

Additionally, Sunday's win over Northwestern (17-6) marked OU's ninth run-rule win and 10th shutout of the season.

"I think this was one of the best – if not the best – games that we've played all season," OU head coach Patty Gasso said. "I think everything was on target... They bowed up, they swung well, they played good defense.

"It was, to me, a very fun team to watch today," Gasso continued. "Everybody in the lineup, one through nine, had a hit today. When you can spread it out like that, it's very smothering to an opponent... I'm really proud of this team. They played really well today."

Playing on her senior day, Falepolima Aviu powered the Oklahoma offense against the Wildcats. She went 3-for-3 at the plate with one home run and one double, finishing with two RBIs and a run scored.

(OU scored 7 runs in the 2nd inning.)

Northwestern saw plenty of Giselle Juarez, as she started both games.

Like I said earlier, the loss will take the pressure of worrying about the streak away, and hopefully renew our focus. I believe our veteran players will step up, and the bats will be ok. I also know most teams we will face from here on out, will also struggle to score against our pitching and defense. My daughter and I try to attend every WCWS, and we are ready to attend and watch the Sooners win another one this year.

Agree. And, it is wonderful that you and your daughter attend those games. Those will be great memories in the years to come.

I'm a believer in the weight of winning streaks and the relief of that stress being lifted. But here are the questions yesterdays game raised for me:

1) Was Lenz a better pitcher than we faced during the regular season?
2) If Lenz wasn't any better than we faced before, why did we have problems with her pitching?
3) Are future opponents going to try to replicate what Lenz did? Apparently, she only threw 2 types of pitches and we had a hard time with both of them.

Menz and the Whisky's Friday starter Hestekin were both pitchers that threw primarily in the 50's with Menz occasionally throwing her fast ball in the very low 60's. Both's key that gave the Sooners fits was first the change and then drop.

Hestekin was actually more effective against OU Friday than Menz who relieved Hestekin and allowed 2 runs in 2.1 innings on a two run dinger by Clifton in the 7th inning. Both Whisky pitchers followed the same game plan in their use of the change and drop.

I expect to see future opponents to follow course if they have the pitchers to implement a similar game plan from the circle.

Menz was an effective pitcher for the season with a 2.13 ERA, 21-9 record and allowed 14 HR's in 164.1 innings. In the tournament her ERA was 2.04. But there was a lot of difference in the quality of competition in the regular season than in the tournament.

I think the problem was primarily the OU hitters were in a funk. They hit neither of the Whisky pitchers well and UMBC was the #205 ranked team in the country.

Congrats on the Super Regional berth. Here's our recap...

NORMAN — The weight of setting an NCAA softball winning streak record exited Oklahoma’s dugout Sunday afternoon. The quest for a third national title in four years remained.

The Sooners had to dig out a 2-0 victory over Wisconsin in the “if game” to claim a berth in the NCAA Softball Tournament’s Super Regional round at Marita Hynes Field.

“It was important for us to have our backs against the wall, not that we planned it that way. But I think it worked out well for us” OU coach Patty Gasso said after the Sooners stretched their record to 53-3. “We’ve just been kinda flat. When you have your back against the wall, it’s a character-builder. You’re either gonna play afraid to lose or play to win. They started playing to win.”

The Sooners, who hadn’t lost since falling 7-1 to UCLA on Feb. 22, needed to show that character after the Badgers pulled off one of the biggest stunners of the tournament earlier in the day.

Wisconsin’s 2-1 win in Sunday’s opener ended OU’s single-season record 41-game winning streak, as well as a 49-game home winning streak.

Wisconsin right-hander Kaitlyn Menz (21-9) threw every inning for the Badgers (43-14) Sunday. She gave up just nine hits in 14 innings.

The Sooners’ mixture of pitching, defense and power at the plate was too hard to keep corralled. They shook off the loss in the opener and rode their ace to another regional title.

Menz and the Whisky's Friday starter Hestekin were both pitchers that threw primarily in the 50's with Menz occasionally throwing her fast ball in the very low 60's. Both's key that gave the Sooners fits was first the change and then drop.

Hestekin was actually more effective against OU Friday than Menz who relieved Hestekin and allowed 2 runs in 2.1 innings on a two run dinger by Clifton in the 7th inning. Both Whisky pitchers followed the same game plan in their use of the change and drop.

I expect to see future opponents to follow course if they have the pitchers to implement a similar game plan from the circle.

Menz was an effective pitcher for the season with a 2.13 ERA, 21-9 record and allowed 14 HR's in 164.1 innings. In the tournament her ERA was 2.04. But there was a lot of difference in the quality of competition in the regular season than in the tournament.

I think the problem was primarily the OU hitters were in a funk. They hit neither of the Whisky pitchers well and UMBC was the #205 ranked team in the country.

I think that you are exactly right, Spock. Maintaining the streak had little or ;nothing to do with the funk the team was in (and still my be.) I believe the team when they say that the pressure of the streak wasnt a factor in the slump. I think it is the same as last year: sustained success got the team assuming that it would continue and they relaxed then started pressing. That is counterproductive. Got to get that "edge" back,-get aggressive again.

Agree. And, it is wonderful that you and your daughter attend those games. Those will be great memories in the years to come.

No doubt. She's a 21 yr old soon to be Sr in college now, and she still loves attending Softball games with me. She just came home for the summer, and the 1st thing she asked was are we going to the WCWS this year...:)

Lauren Chamberlain gave her a game ball during the celebration when we won in 2013, and she still has it displayed in her room.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=31000&ATCLID=211803857

“I thought Wisconsin taught us a very valuable lesson on how to play free and how to play to win,” Gasso said afterward. “Anybody who can teach us a lesson, we’ll take it. We’re humble enough to know there’s things we need to learn about the game.”

The only way to challenge the Sooners’ resilience was to deliver a loss, which meant a pair of eye-popping streaks both ended.

“We’re happy that we don’t have to talk about this winning streak anymore,” Gasso said. “Having our backs against the wall, right now, is probably the most valuable thing that’s happened to us all season.”

Not 100% certain but I have been told my a couple of sources one a travel ball coach and read on the web that by rule the call is the home plate umps call and he is prohibited from asking for help by the 3rd base up. Before the bag home plate ump makes the call after the bag 3rd base up makes the call.

If it is a rule that you cannot get help it is a bad rule. I can understand the home plate ump not being able to see the chalk dust from 60' away and thinking perhaps the ball was redirected by the 3rd baseman's glove but no question the 3rd base ump knew it was a bad call but could do nothing about it.
Do you believe it? I must admit that I don''t think much of the intelligence or historical integrity of the NCAA, but I don't think they would have made such a rule.

I can see a rule that indicates that the home plate umpire has the jurisdiction until such time as it hits past first or third base, and I can see a clarification that states that his decision as home plate umpire is final. I cannot see the NCAA or any organization from which they may have derived parts of their rules stating that it is prohibited from asking for help. The site that said such a thing would have to prove it to me, and I would want further verification from the NCAA rules committee that such a stupid rule exists. I simply don't buy them being that stupid.

Even if such a rule were to exist in some form, which some stupid rules do exist because they simply haven't thought it through or given any consideration to the lack of reality of physics in making their statement of the rule, if the ball is perceived by a third base umpire to have hit third or past third in fair territory, wouldn't that overrule the idea that the home plate umpire had any jurisdiction. If the third base umpire were to see chalk fly from the base or past it and touch a fielder who was fully inbounds except for the location of her glove (possible location) which was not touching down in foul territory, the third base umpire would now supercede the authority of the home plate umpire since it is no longer in his jurisdiction.

Show me a rule where an umpire can't ask another umpire.

Do you believe it? I must admit that I don''t think much of the intelligence or historical integrity of the NCAA, but I don't think they would have made such a rule.

I can see a rule that indicates that the home plate umpire has the jurisdiction until such time as it hits past first or third base, and I can see a clarification that states that his decision as home plate umpire is final. I cannot see the NCAA or any organization from which they may have derived parts of their rules stating that it is prohibited from asking for help. The site that said such a thing would have to prove it to me, and I would want further verification from the NCAA rules committee that such a stupid rule exists. I simply don't buy them being that stupid.

Even if such a rule were to exist in some form, which some stupid rules do exist because they simply haven't thought it through or given any consideration to the lack of reality of physics in making their statement of the rule, if the ball is perceived by a third base umpire to have hit third or past third in fair territory, wouldn't that overrule the idea that the home plate umpire had any jurisdiction. If the third base umpire were to see chalk fly from the base or past it and touch a fielder who was fully inbounds except for the location of her glove (possible location) which was not touching down in foul territory, the third base umpire would now supercede the authority of the home plate umpire since it is no longer in his jurisdiction.

Someone else on SoonerTimes said the same thing. Dumb, dumb rule.

I am glad that this team has unbelievable talent, sufficient to overcome some sort of very misguided direction.

We made a star out of Menz who had not struck out five hitters in a game since April 19 against Indiana, until she beat us, striking out five. In three games against OU, she struck out twelve and walked four. Against Nebraska, a rather low-rated team, she struck out two and walked six while getting bombed.

Throwing 59-62 mph? I kept hearing how we were having difficulty with timing and location. Really? She never threw hard enough for a changeup to be effective.

Hitting technique goes back to the 1880s. Great hitters of all eras have one key thing they do. They hit the ball where it is pitched, and they hit it hard. That pitch on the outside corner at 59 mph was like a steak waiting to be pounded and devoured. But, you don't pull it. You hit it where it is pitched. Green did that with a line drive to right to score one run. Too many times, we walked to the dinner table with our napkins and dress tails, and watched. She was pitching batting practice. We should have been playing pepper.

I'm not irritated. This team doesn't deserve to be placed in that position. We are too good as individuals.

Menz gave up 14-15 hits against Notre Dame in 9-2/3 innings and only gave up 11 hits in 14 innings against the top hitting team in country. We’re still the favorite and have the target on our backs. I’m seeing the same results as last year. Patty said after the 4-0 win the team acted like they lost in locker room. We actually played worse the next game and about the same the third game. We had championship pitching last year and championship pitching this year but hitting is going to stop this team again, I fear.

I have spent the last hour reading the NCAA Softball Yearbook and this is the only rule I can find that is applicable in any way and it is applicable only in a general sense. But it does explain his position because the call was a judgement call. Also he cannot confer with his associates because the call did not regard a violation of any rule.

Sec. 6.UMPIRE'S JUDGMENT.
There shall be no appeal from any decision of any umpire, on the grounds that he was not correct in his conclusion as to whether a batted ball was fair or foul, a runner safe or out, a pitched ball a strike or ball, or on any play involving accuracy of judgment. No decision rendered by any umpire shall be reversed; except that he be convinced it is in violation of one of these rules. In case the manager, captain, or either team does seek a reversal of a decision based solely on a point of the rules, the umpire whose decision is in question shall, if in doubt, confer with his associate before taking any action. But under no circumstances shall any player or person, other than the manager or the captain of either team, have any legal right to protest on any decision and seek its reversal, on a claim that it is in conflict with these rules.

I have spent the last hour reading the NCAA Softball Yearbook and this is the only rule I can find that is applicable in any way and it is applicable only in a general sense. But it does explain his position because the call was a judgement call. Also he cannot confer with his associates because the call did not regard a violation of any rule.

Sec. 6.UMPIRE'S JUDGMENT.
There shall be no appeal from any decision of any umpire, on the grounds that he was not correct in his conclusion as to whether a batted ball was fair or foul, a runner safe or out, a pitched ball a strike or ball, or on any play involving accuracy of judgment. No decision rendered by any umpire shall be reversed; except that he be convinced it is in violation of one of these rules. In case the manager, captain, or either team does seek a reversal of a decision based solely on a point of the rules, the umpire whose decision is in question shall, if in doubt, confer with his associate before taking any action. But under no circumstances shall any player or person, other than the manager or the captain of either team, have any legal right to protest on any decision and seek its reversal, on a claim that it is in conflict with these rules.
I see nothing that says he can't confer.

I see nothing that says he can't confer.

Your understanding of the English language is different than mine. The rule states specifically "no decision by the umpire shall be reversed; except that he be convinced it is in violation of one of these rules."[/B] There is nothing to confer about the decision has been made and is final there is no rules violation involved. I guess he could talk to the 3rd base ump about the weather he definitely cannot discuss a rules violation that did not exist.

I think our understanding of the language must indeed be different.

here shall be no appeal from any decision of any umpire

First, it doesn't apply specifically to the home plate umpire.

Secondly, it makes no sense as worded. There can be no appeal unless he is convinced he is wrong or made an error? This doesn't reference his willingness to ask questions of another umpire. It just says that he can't be reversed unless he is convince of his error. It says absolutely nothing about seeking clarity if someone requests it.

Essentially, it is a stupid statement which states that you can't change your mind if unless you think you were wrong. I don't know that it has any application whatsoever to what your website people said or anything logical.

You can't appeal unless he is convinced he is wrong? We needed a rule to state that?

Back