Softball

Whatever happens, even if we lose early, I will always remember this senior class and what they've done for our program. A group of amazing women with not just top notch talent, but also class. A great reflection of a wonderful coach and program maker we have in Gasso.

Now that's all being said I hope we crush 'Bama tonight!
I'm still a little salty about losing the 2012 Finals series to them, which I thought we should have won!

Whatever happens, even if we lose early, I will always remember this senior class and what they've done for our program. A group of amazing women with not just top notch talent, but also class. A great reflection of a wonderful coach and program maker we have in Gasso.

I'm still a little salty about losing the 2012 Finals series to them, which I thought we should have won!

Amen and amen. They made Kelani pitch in the rain knowing full well that it's hard to throw curves with a wet ball but far easier to throw a wet riseball. More sec bs. The new stadium (when it gets built) should be named "Patty's Place".

The 2012 WCWS finals was a classic example of how a team somewhere along the way needs a break or two to win it all. In 2012 Alabama did and OU did not. But we did make a couple of errors that were key to 4 Bama unearned runs.

OU won the first game and were up 2-0 in game 2 with Keilanie Ricketts and her crop duster was in total control of the Tide hitters. The heavy rain comes, they continue to play and Keilanie can no longer hit her spots due to the wet ball, hits 5 batters and we make 2 errors and allow 4 unearned runs. Meanwhile the Bama pitcher Traina with her rise ball had better control of her pitches despite the Sooners scoring 6 runs and losing 8-6.

We may have lost the series had it not rained but no question the rain was a big break for the Tide the way Keilanie was hitting her spots before the rain.

From Eric Bailey...

Oklahoma’s three-headed monster of a pitching staff lacks one thing — an ego.

Giselle Juarez, Mariah Lopez and Shannon Saile could be the aces for many college softball programs. Instead, they work together as one to try to steer the Sooners toward a national championship.

The three have created a sisterhood. It’s a relationship that all have embraced with open arms.

“Our staff, it’s a team within its own team and it’s pretty great to have it split pretty evenly,” Juarez said. “We have each other’s backs and we’re truly playing for each other. We’re behind each other. I’ve never had a better relationship like that.”

Top-seeded OU opens Women’s College World Series play at 8:30 p.m. Thursday against No. 8 Alabama at Oklahoma City’s USA Softball Hall of Fame Stadium.

Juarez, an Arizona State transfer, arrived on campus just weeks before the 2019 season began. The big question was how she would fit in with a pitching staff that worked together all fall.

“God had his plan and I’m glad I followed it,” Juarez said. “When I came in, they were so open-armed and so accepting. It made it really easy to be able to transfer in and then made me feel comfortable to be myself on the mound. That’s been one of the biggest things, having that acceptance.”

EDIT: Also, Gatorade named its Oklahoma Softball Player of the Year, and it's an OU signee...

Tuttle right-handed pitcher Macy McAdoo is the latest receipent of the Gatorade Award as the state's high school softball player of the year.

The 6-foot senior went 24-0 with a 1.00 ERA last fall, leading the Tigers (35-1) to a third consecutive 4A state championship.

She struck out 228 while allowing only 47 hits over 126 innings. She is ranked as the No. 29 recruit in the 2019 class by Softball America and has signed to play at the University of Oklahoma. She is the first Gatorade softball recipient from Tuttle.

Last edited:
Mr. PC checking in: Another bad call was just made that would easily and clearly have been corrected with video review in place. Not debatable -- a clearly incorrect call. The fifth such call of the tourney so far to go against the Sooners.

Mr. PC checking in: Another bad call was just made that would easily and clearly have been corrected with video review in place. Not debatable -- a clearly incorrect call. The fifth such call of the tourney so far to go against the Sooners.

And that bad call just cost OU a run. Instead of leading 1-0, we are tied 1-1 in the bottom of the 3rd. :mad:

Tough game, terrific defensive play by CC in the 9th, great win!

Loved it that Mendes got the hit. Ive been frustrated as they took the bat out of her hand with bunts. She kills it in the CWS.

We are owed some make-up bad calls.

OU wins! I confess that I was mentally poor-mouthing Mendes at her last at-bat, thinking to myself, "Man, we need ANYBODY but Mendes at the plate. So what's she do? RBI triple! So close to being a homer!

Give it up to Mendes! You go, girl!

Now let's whup up on the Cowgirls again!

Loved it that Mendes got the hit. Ive been frustrated as they took the bat out of her hand with bunts. She kills it in the CWS.

We are owed some make-up bad calls.

True, that! ↑↑↑ But not gonna hold my breath, I can't remember the last time that we got an officiating break!

My bracket has OU beating OSU today and UCLA beating Arizona. Then in tomorrow's losers bracket I have Bama beating Florida then Arizona to again face the Sooners again needing to win a pair. On the other side I have Washington beating Minnesota then OSU to face UCLA needing to win a pair. I have UCLA winning and facing the Sooners in the championship. Sooners win it all 2 games to 1 for senior class' 3rd natty. Its a SWAG!

Your thought?

Last edited:
zona has owned ucla this year

I would not say winning 5-4 and 3-1 while losing 4-5 is owning them. The game could go either way and I choose to go with Garcia over McQuillin. However 'zona did pin Garcia with her only loss as she allowed 3 HR's and 4 earned runs.

Last edited:
From Eric Bailey...

OKLAHOMA CITY — Bedlam anyone?

Oklahoma City will be the site of a rivalry showdown between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State at the USA Softball Hall of Fame Stadium at 8:30 p.m. Friday.

The stakes are high, with one school taking a large step toward the goal of claiming the Women’s College World Series championship.

The Bedlam storyline was a main topic of conversation just moments after the Sooners defeated Alabama 3-2 Thursday in the late game.

“OSU is a great team and I just think the cool thing about it is you have two Oklahoma teams playing in the World Series,” Sydney Romero said. “Just the fact that both of these teams are from Oklahoma, I think it says a lot of stuff. It’s awesome.

“We know it’s going to be a good game. OSU is a great team. We’re excited.”

If we can scrap and claw our way through to the finals series I think we will win. I don't know that any team is good enough to sweep us in a best-of-three series. We just need to get there first! I'm more comfortable with our matchup against Oklahoma state that I was last night against Alabama, that's for sure. I dare that shall girl to try and flip her bat if she ever even has an opportunity to!

If Show hits a dinger against OU like she did against Lopez in the regular season series it is almost a guarantee she will do something outlandish with the bat.

If we beat the pukes tonight we should be in good shape for the finals. Whoever wins our side the loser's brackets has to be us twice back to back or we are in the finals. It will be either Florida, Alabama or the loser of Az/UCLA.

So win tonight and whomever has to beat us twice or be eliminated.

This light tower delay is maddening. And right in the middle of a Sooner rally.

Nice win. I would have loved one more big hit in the sixth to put it in run rule territory, but any win over the aggies is a sweet one. G and Shannon were on their games.

Last edited:
Back