Softball

I think Mendes probably did run into the third baseman intentionally. It kind of looked like she did veer slightly to make it a dead center hit rather than a glancing blow. If the defender is in the baseline, what should you do? You plan to stop and let them complete the play?

The third baseman didn't have the ball, and she was in the baseline. A direct route would have been a pretty hard collision, just not head on. As the umpire signaled, the third baseman was guilty of obstruction. Then, she did touch it and let it pop out of her glove before being hit by Mendes. I don't know if that had anything to do with the runner reaching second, probably did.

The third baseman was how far from third? Taking a throw from the outfield while three to six feet away from third in the baseline is not a smart play. Get on third and let the throw beat the runner. Mendes is fast, but an outfielder's throw is faster. IF the third baseman had been on third, she might have been standing there waiting for Mendes, and not in the baseline.

I think Mendes probably did run into the third baseman intentionally. It kind of looked like she did veer slightly to make it a dead center hit rather than a glancing blow. If the defender is in the baseline, what should you do? You plan to stop and let them complete the play?

The third baseman didn't have the ball, and she was in the baseline. A direct route would have been a pretty hard collision, just not head on. As the umpire signaled, the third baseman was guilty of obstruction. Then, she did touch it and let it pop out of her glove before being hit by Mendes. I don't know if that had anything to do with the runner reaching second, probably did.

The third baseman was how far from third? Taking a throw from the outfield while three to six feet away from third in the baseline is not a smart play. Get on third and let the throw beat the runner. Mendes is fast, but an outfielder's throw is faster. IF the third baseman had been on third, she might have been standing there waiting for Mendes, and not in the baseline.

Exactly!!

I am also a member of Oklahoma State sports forum I periodically look on comments made before/after games. For the third or fourth time now several cowgirl fans have posted about how unattractive OU players are and how fat they are. Stating things like'well at least we get a W in the looks department' or 'at least their girls don't have to shop at DXL stores for their gear nd uniforms.' of course most of them agreed that Mendez intentially ran into their third baseman...of course.

Seeing this kind of stuff really makes me glad I am an Oklahoma alum and I have never seen such posts on this forum. Even when we lose. We do everything with a level of class far above Oklahoma State fans. I know there are exceptions but I've seen several different posters on their forum make such comments. Just blessed I'm a Sooner!!

1) THAT'S the fans NOT the players
2) Classy is calling Teams derogatory names which is synonymous with this board.
3) Talk about Coach Mulkey's looks and the way she dressed..again synonymous with this board.
4) Talking about poorly of high school players who we weren't able to sign that Mulkey got, common.
5) Always when we lose there is a comment on bad calls like the other teams fo not receive them.

I am not saying there are not nice people here, but it seems sports like politics/social issues bring out the worst in people. I find it sad because I really want to have a place to get general input on OU women sports without having to read juvenile comments. Will add that having differing opinions isn't often possible without someone making it personal and negative.

What's great us there are many true fans of OU, OSU, other schools out there who do not hate; they just aren't social media. Unfortunately, social media seems too often to change people's attitudes. Make them angry and negative. I will admit to being susceptible to it making me angry regarding social/political issues but I no longer respond to those posts. It is senseless and a negative experience.

I realize 99 percent here will not like this post and I reget that. I tried to take the time to not make it hateful because that is not my intent. Oh well.

Womenssports you’ve got it correct. Sooners fans are passionate and most are honest in their assessments. The fans that like to point out our opponents in a negative manner hide behind their screen names. Few if any would say these things in public. They are brave souls. The one OU Coach that seems to do everything right is Gasso, but if she doesn’t win it all this season the Monday morning QB’s will be happy to point out her perceived mistakes. The WBB team only needs to recruit at a higher level, SC can still coach, but Juco Transfers and projects will be far from adequate.

1) THAT'S the fans NOT the players
2) Classy is calling Teams derogatory names which is synonymous with this board.
3) Talk about Coach Mulkey's looks and the way she dressed..again synonymous with this board.
4) Talking about poorly of high school players who we weren't able to sign that Mulkey got, common.
5) Always when we lose there is a comment on bad calls like the other teams fo not receive them.

I am not saying there are not nice people here, but it seems sports like politics/social issues bring out the worst in people. I find it sad because I really want to have a place to get general input on OU women sports without having to read juvenile comments. Will add that having differing opinions isn't often possible without someone making it personal and negative.

What's great us there are many true fans of OU, OSU, other schools out there who do not hate; they just aren't social media. Unfortunately, social media seems too often to change people's attitudes. Make them angry and negative. I will admit to being susceptible to it making me angry regarding social/political issues but I no longer respond to those posts. It is senseless and a negative experience.

I realize 99 percent here will not like this post and I reget that. I tried to take the time to not make it hateful because that is not my intent. Oh well.

I can appreciate your comment and I will agree with you, 99% of those on this forum will not like what you have to say. Maybe you should post this on OSU sports forum board as well. I myself have never made such a comment about a players or coach's appearance, I think it's tacky and has nothing to do with the sport itself. And to be quite honest I've never seen anyone on this board make an attack about another teams player's appearance or size. I will agree that 99% of the time when any team loses the fans will have an issue about some of the calls, that's just the nature of sports. If that's not something you can accept then don't get on here perhaps? I mean, isn't that part of what these forums are for? Discussing calls and games? Obviously among several other things.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the answer to this question? What determines who is the visiting and who is the home team? The announcer mentioned that this is the 2nd time in three games that we have been the visiting team... What gives? is it a coin flip that determines it or what?

Does anyone know the answer to this question? What determines who is the visiting and who is the home team? The announcer mentioned that this is the 2nd time in three games that we have been the visiting team... What gives? is it a coin flip that determines it or what?

I've been wondering the same thing. Doesn't make any sense beyond random chance.

I can appreciate your comment and I will agree with you, 99% of those on this forum will not like what you have to say. Maybe you should post this on OSU sports forum board as well. I myself have never made such a comment about a players or coach's appearance, I think it's tacky and has nothing to do with the sport itself. And to be quite honest I've never seen anyone on this board make an attack about another teams player's appearance or size. I will agree that 99% of the time when any team loses the fans will have an issue about some of the calls, that's just the nature of sports. If that's not something you can accept then don't get on here perhaps? I mean, isn't that part of what these forums are for? Discussing calls and games? Obviously among several other things.

LOL....So I should just make this post on the OSU board and maybe I should just leave the board?

I think by rule it was OU's option to be the visiting team in either the first or second {if necessary) game. If so Patty made the election to insure she had last bats in the 2nd (final) game that would determine who goes to the finals.

Now having last bats appears to be a big advantage.

I think by rule it was OU's option to be the visiting team in either the first or second {if necessary) game. If so Patty made the election to insure she had last bats in the 2nd (final) game that would determine who goes to the finals.

Now having last bats appears to be a big advantage.

Why would she have elected to bat first against OSU?

OU needs a hitting coach. Notice that the girls drop the right shoulder and pop it up. Keep your shoulders square.

Chris Plank has explained it about four times during the radio broadcast, but I'll admit I didn't pay close attention to any of those explanations. It seems to depend upon how many times each team has been the home team to that point -- the object is to ensure as nearly as is possible that every team gets to be home team as often as it is the visiting squad.

Thank God for Alo!!!

Up until she hit that bomb I was asking myself how it could be that we have not hit a HR in the series yet?! I know the pitching's been better, but aren't we supposed to be #1? I've been very frustrated with how many times we have struck out without even swinging, and how many pop ups we've hit.

If we survive this game, we have got to play better to even take one game off of UCLA. I haven't watched them play outside of the series, but from what I've seen, they've been playing better than us. Much better. I hope we can still pull this one out!

Terrific win. I loved seeing the Sooner bats wake up in the late innings; Alo's blast was amazing.

And for those keeping track at home, we saw our sixth poor call of the tourney that would easily have been overturned with a video review (and yes, like the other five, it went against the Sooners): the hit-by-pitch that wasn't in the seventh inning (the ball clearly hit the knob of the bat). Mr. PC signing off!

OU needs a hitting coach. Notice that the girls drop the right shoulder and pop it up. Keep your shoulders square.
Agreed. We also swing at pitches that are so far inside that you can only pull them foul. We take pitches on the outside corner that even the ESPN sportscasters insist we should be killing. But, we make the mistake of trying to pull them. A key point----we got our first two runs because Caleigh lined a double to right center off an outside corner pitch, which is what you should do.

Back