Softball

Why would she have elected to bat first against OSU?

The entire system is designed where each team has an equal opportunity to be visiting team and the home team hence they alternate who is home team after the higher seed get to be home team first. Therefore if there is an odd # of games the higher seed gets the odd game. When 2 teams are going to potentially play twice in the regional semifinals the higher ranked gets to choose the first or the second game. At least that is my understanding of the rule.

If I am correct OU will be the home team the first and if necessary the third game against UCLA.

Last edited:
We also have to stop swinging at the rise ball. The pitcher for Bama (Montana Fouts) found out by the 2nd inning that our batters were suckers for the rise ball. They were swinging at balls that rose to neck level over the plate - their bats were at chest level during the swing. Those high rise balls would all have been called balls instead of strikes (whiffs) by our batters. I lost count of how many whiffs we made inning after inning. They need to stop doing this -- now.

CF Jr R/R Bubba Nichols 389 17 70
SS Soph L/R Briana Perez 383 5 41 (21 SB)
RF Sr L/R Aaliyah Jordan 374 11 59
P JR R/R Rachel Garcia 345 10 53
1B Sr R/R Taylor Pack 377 12 49
DP Soph R/R Mala Quarles 308 4 17
3B Sr R/R Brianna Tautalatua 176 3 20
2B Soph L/R Kinsley Washington 300 1 17
LF Fr L/R Kelli Godin 427 0 13 (23 SB)
C Sr L/R Paige Halstead 275 2 12

Pitchers:

Jr Rachel Garcia 27-1 1.83 190.0 IP 282 K 39 BB 106 H
Fr R/R Megan Faraimo 16-4 1.42 113.0 IP 143 K 26 BB 69 H
Soph R/R Holly Azevedo 11-1 2.07 88.0 IP 72 K 22 BB 84 H

We also have to stop swinging at the rise ball. The pitcher for Bama (Montana Fouts) found out by the 2nd inning that our batters were suckers for the rise ball. They were swinging at balls that rose to neck level over the plate - their bats were at chest level during the swing. Those high rise balls would all have been called balls instead of strikes (whiffs) by our batters. I lost count of how many whiffs we made inning after inning. They need to stop doing this -- now.
Fouts used a very similar technique to that of Wisconsin.

-----throw the ball at our hands. You can't swing without pulling it, most likely foul

----hit the outside corner. We let it go by for a called strike. If we swing, we try to pull it. We got key hits when Green finally laced it into right field to drive in a key run against Wisconsin. Caleighs double in the first was the only line drive we hit until Alo's home run, and it was a pitch on the outside corner that she sent to the right center field wall. Even the ESPN announcer said we should be killing that pitch. It's like someone told them to swing at the inside pitch, but let the pitch on the outside corner go by---or pull it.

----we are now set up to strike out, which our freshmen have done a lot of. We either get a change-up that freezes them, or a rise that they can't seem to lay off of. Notice that Mendes got the winning hit against Bama, a line drive triple to the opposite field (left center).. Kill that outside pitch, but don't pull it. It will be a popup or ground ball to third or short.

Maybe if we had a real hitting coach we would lead the nation in batting average and home runs.

1) THAT'S the fans NOT the players
2) Classy is calling Teams derogatory names which is synonymous with this board.
3) Talk about Coach Mulkey's looks and the way she dressed..again synonymous with this board.
4) Talking about poorly of high school players who we weren't able to sign that Mulkey got, common.
5) Always when we lose there is a comment on bad calls like the other teams fo not receive them.

I am not saying there are not nice people here, but it seems sports like politics/social issues bring out the worst in people. I find it sad because I really want to have a place to get general input on OU women sports without having to read juvenile comments. Will add that having differing opinions isn't often possible without someone making it personal and negative.

What's great us there are many true fans of OU, OSU, other schools out there who do not hate; they just aren't social media. Unfortunately, social media seems too often to change people's attitudes. Make them angry and negative. I will admit to being susceptible to it making me angry regarding social/political issues but I no longer respond to those posts. It is senseless and a negative experience.

I realize 99 percent here will not like this post and I reget that. I tried to take the time to not make it hateful because that is not my intent. Oh well.

+1 big time

Friday: Sooners defeat Cowgirls in Bedlam softball matchup 6-1

Serene Saturday: Sooners enjoy earned WCWS day off

Sunday: Sooners power past Alabama in elimination game to make WCWS championship series

There have been many memorable home runs in Oklahoma softball history. Jocelyn Alo’s bomb will be added to the list.

“That disappeared in the darkness really fast,” OU coach Patty Gasso said. “I’ve seen her hit some but I’d say that’s probably right there with some of the furthest I’ve seen from anyone … it was at the right time and it was great for her. She’s really been trying to step up for this team.”

Alo’s shot came in the fifth inning and swayed momentum toward the Sooners.

“It felt effortless and I felt like I was pressing during the two at-bats before,” Alo said. “I didn’t know how far it went, but off the bat, I was like ‘Yeah!’”

OU and UCLA have met once in 2019. On Feb. 22, the Bruins defeated the Sooners 7-1 in the prestigious Mary Nutter Collegiate Classic. It would be OU’s last loss before starting a school-record 41-game winning streak.

JT needs badly to be a LOT quicker in adapting his advice to opposing team's strategies. After a while it seems that he should see what their plan is and advise our girls accordingly, but that isnt happening. He seems to have a plan going in (and that has worked out very well)but has a problem adapting.

Last edited:
Maybe if we had a real hitting coach we would lead the nation in batting average and home runs.

Might also add OBP and SLG%

Sometimes people forget that generally speaking great pitching beats great hitting and we have been seeing great pitching from the Tide pitchers. We scored 10 runs on Bama. If we can score 10 runs on UCLA I like our chances.

https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=WSB&division=1

https://stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=WSB&division=1

Last edited:
Yesterday was exhausting. I'm glad there's only one game tonight. What does everyone think? I'm very nervous about our chances because I've seen how inconsistent are hitting has been throughout the playoffs. Hopefully last night second game will give us a boost!!

Got a kick out of that post, Eielson. Partly because it was funny, but also because it was oh, so true.

Do some of you guys not know that in the WCWS hitters are going up against pitchers who are THE best of the best? Why do you think teams like Bama, UCLA, Washington, Oklahoma, etc. are even in the WCWS? It's because of names like Juarez, Fouts, Garcia, Alvelo, Plain, etc.

OU has one of the best pitching staffs in college softball, and maybe THE best pitcher. The Sooners lead the nation in most offensive categories and their defensive stats are off the chart.

None of that guarantees OU will prevail over UCLA (another great team). But I'm perfectly happy to go into the finals with the players, coaches and TEAM that has got us to where we are today.

no one attacked you and you bring up/threaten leaving

almost comedy at this point ..

I did not threaten to leave. I was advised to do so, as well as, advised to put my original post on OSU board. Yes, I thought that was humorous.

Got a kick out of that post, Eielson. Partly because it was funny, but also because it was oh, so true.

Do some of you guys not know that in the WCWS hitters are going up against pitchers who are THE best of the best? Why do you think teams like Bama, UCLA, Washington, Oklahoma, etc. are even in the WCWS? It's because of names like Juarez, Fouts, Garcia, Alvelo, Plain, etc.

OU has one of the best pitching staffs in college softball, and maybe THE best pitcher. The Sooners lead the nation in most offensive categories and their defensive stats are off the chart.

None of that guarantees OU will prevail over UCLA (another great team). But I'm perfectly happy to go into the finals with the players, coaches and TEAM that has got us to where we are today.

I think everyone realizes the pitching in the WCWS is much better than what we see in the regular season.

I don't think anyone expects us to be scoring 8, 10 or 12 runs each game.

I think people also think we shouldn't lose games 1 - 0.

But 1 - 0 would have won the 1st Alabama game and that raises red flags for some people.

I noticed the graphic they put up that showed the number of players who had won multiple player of the year awards. The first one they showed was Cat Osterman. She won the award 3 times and I don't think Texas won a sincle NC while she was there. At that time, if you could score one run against Texas you were in good shape. If you could score 2, you were golden. Because Texas couldn't score worth a damn.

I've said many times that I'm not a softball expert. I would come closer to understanding Einstein's theory of relativity than understanding how a batter can hit to a certain spot on the field or how a pitcher can make a ball curve, drop or rise.

Lastly, we had the best offense in football last year but couldn't win an NC because we weren't a complete team. We want this softball team to be a complete team, playing to the best of their ability in all phases of the game.

Having said that, UCLA looks very, very good. We will have to be on top of our game to beat them even once, much less twice.

We can't just struggle against a great pitcher -- someone has to be at fault? If it were as simple as merely making adjustments as prescribed by a hitting coach, no good hitting team (in any diamond sport) would ever get shut out or dominated by a good pitcher, but of course that happens all the time.

Did no one notice that it took UCLA 10 innings to break through yesterday? They struggled every bit as much with Washington as we did in our first game with Bama and could easily have lost that game.

By the time we reach the WCWS, any team can lose to any other team straight up--no excuses, no finger pointing, no one to blame. Just one great team being better than another great team on that given day (or, as with yesterday, on a given play).

That's why I try to savor every win at this point in the season. We could get swept by UCLA or we could sweep them (or, of course, it could go a full three games). Either way, this stands as one of the greatest seasons and best teams in OU softball history and it's been a joy to watch them all season.

Back