Softball

I think several newcomers are utility player that have a little pitching experience. The only pitchers coming in are Macy McAdoo, Rains, and Nelson-Thiede.
I think Rylie Boone is listed as an OF with P experience. If Donihoo, Flores, Pogue or Hanson have any experience on the mound, I haven't seen reference to it.

I will just pose this question. If Vestal was planning on leaving then don't you find it unusual that Rocha would talk about how well she is coming along before the WCWS. Vestal has been doing bullpen after bullpen for the past two months. She has been with the team all the way and was charting pitches in the dugout during the entire WCWS. That doesn't sound like someone who is getting ready to pack their bags. However, I don't think she would stay if there was NO CHANCE that she would see the mound next year. Clearly, Juarez will be #1 next year but the door is open for Vestal.

Honestly no, that doesn't seem unusual for a coach to say positive things about a player that may be on their way out, especially if they're still retaining some hope of a return.

I know of Macadoo, Nelson-Thiede and and Rains to be freshmen pitchers for 2020. Enlighten me please. Who are the other two freshmen pitchers?

It is 4 but several more have experience. Rylie Boone is quite a pitcher and CF that has been compared to Kelsey Stewart from Florida. She throws high 60's.

The rankings and positions are from Flosports.

35 Olivia Rains P/OF OC Batbusters - Stith Oklahoma
37 Rylie Boone OF/P Texas Glory Oklahoma
55 Macy McAdoo P Oklahoma Athletics Oklahoma
147 Alanna Thiede P OC Batbusters - Stith Oklahoma

You add to that:
G. Juarez
Mariah Lopez
Shannon Saile
Brook Vestal
Nicole Mendes

Now you have 9 pitchers.

Honestly no, that doesn't seem unusual for a coach to say positive things about a player that may be on their way out, especially if they're still retaining some hope of a return.

Is it unusual for the pitcher to behave like Vestal if she was leaving, that is the bigger question. Parker Conrad hasn't been seen or heard from in months.

Is it unusual for the pitcher to behave like Vestal if she was leaving, that is the bigger question. Parker Conrad hasn't been seen or heard from in months.

Yep. I'll be very surprised if Vestal transfers this offseason. From what I've seen (no, I have no inside information), Brooke is hugely excited to be a Sooner and is looking forward for the opportunity to make her mark in 2020.

If Lopez is leaving, as it's been rumored, Vestal would have a very good chance to break into the rotation, assuming she's now healthy and at full strength. And if Mariah really is transferring, I very much hope she joins our former head coach for pitchers and catchers, Missy Lombardi at Oregon.

I don't pretend to know what will happen. I suspect a pitcher will transfer, but I know very little. I hope it's not Vestal.

As loyal and patient as Lopez has been I doubt she is considering transferring.

Yep. I'll be very surprised if Vestal transfers this offseason. From what I've seen (no, I have no inside information), Brooke is hugely excited to be a Sooner and is looking forward for the opportunity to make her mark in 2020.

If Lopez is leaving, as it's been rumored, Vestal would have a very good chance to break into the rotation, assuming she's now healthy and at full strength. And if Mariah really is transferring, I very much hope she joins our former head coach for pitchers and catchers, Missy Lombardi at Oregon.

Lopez transferring to Oregon could be a positive for both. The Oregon ace had a 4.12 era and it was 3+ runs/game better than anyone else on the staff. It would seem very likely she would immediately be the staff ace. However the bats in the Pac 12 and their 24 conference games might result in a bump in here era from the 1.25 she had this year.

At Oregon she might start 2 games a 3 game series if Melyssa cannot find another pitcher this year. Starting 2 games against UCLA, Arizona, Washington, Arizona State, Stanford, Oregon State, California and Utah could be taxing.

Lopez transferring to Oregon could be a positive for both. The Oregon ace had a 4.12 era and it was 3+ runs/game better than anyone else on the staff. It would seem very likely she would immediately be the staff ace. However the bats in the Pac 12 and their 24 conference games might result in a bump in here era from the 1.25 she had this year.

At Oregon she might start 2 games a 3 game series if Melyssa cannot find another pitcher this year. Starting 2 games against UCLA, Arizona, Washington, Arizona State, Stanford, Oregon State, California and Utah could be taxing.
Some of the Pacific Twelve teams are not all that great at hitting. UCLA can hit. But, Arizona lost a lot of low-scoring games. ASU got clobbered. Stanford, Cal, and Utah were not known for hitting. They had better pitching than hitting.

I thought, based on a post by Upontop on Robocoach that Mariah Lopez's transfer was certain. He also indicated that she had broken a finger on her pitching hand just prior to the CWS.

If she transfers, it would not be a surprise to see her with Lombardi, and she probably would be the staff ace.

No question Stanford and California are down from their traditional standard and Oregon went through an anomaly last year with all the transfers and are way down. But if you look at their team batting averages the Pac 12 has 7 teams ranked in the top 125. The Big 12 has 4.

Logically in the Pac 12 Lopez would start at least 6 more conference games against higher quality hitting teams. Plus the likelihood she could start as many as 16 conference games after starting only 6 in the Big 12 leads me to believe it is probable her era could elevate 20-40% which is still more than respectable (1.50-1.75.

In 2 appearances against UCLA and 1 each against Oregon State and Utah 2 of the Pac 12 worst hitting teams Lopez's era was 4.39 and against Oregon State and Utah it was 2.25.

Last edited:
I know of Macadoo, Nelson-Thiede and and Rains to be freshmen pitchers for 2020. Enlighten me please. Who are the other two freshmen pitchers?

It is 4 but several more have experience. Rylie Boone is quite a pitcher and CF that has been compared to Kelsey Stewart from Florida. She throws high 60's.

The rankings and positions are from Flosports.

35 Olivia Rains P/OF OC Batbusters - Stith Oklahoma
37 Rylie Boone OF/P Texas Glory Oklahoma
55 Macy McAdoo P Oklahoma Athletics Oklahoma
147 Alanna Thiede P OC Batbusters - Stith Oklahoma

You add to that:
G. Juarez
Mariah Lopez
Shannon Saile
Brook Vestal
Nicole Mendes

Now you have 9 pitchers.

Thanks for the info. It clarifies my confusion. But from what I can find on Boone I can find nothing that would enhance the Sooners in the circle. I also discount Mendes as a contributor as she has thrown only a total of 15.1 innings the last two seasons with a 4.56 era.

I see Nicole only as a sacrifice to burn innings when Patty does not want to expose her staff to what they were exeriencing against UCLA. Her longest outing this year was 1.2 innings and all but 2 of her 9 appearances for a total of 9.1 innings were run rule contests and those 2 were 6 run decisions.

I still see the staff as a staff of 7, which makes for a crowded room, plus or minus Parker Conrad who is still listed on the OU official roster. Wherever she may be. Just a difference of opinions. No big deal.

https://stats.ncaa.org/player/index...layer_seq=1867299&year_stat_category_id=14661

Anyone else seen or heard that G may play for the Puerto Rican olympic team and if they qualify for the olympics she could miss next season? Saw that posted on another site(Sooner Scoop)

You know softball has arrived when less than a week after the season is over and rumors flying everywhere about next year. Anyone know the name Carrie Eberle? Va Tech pitcher righty would be a senior next year rumored to be possible transfer in.

I would be surprised if we thought Eberle would improve our staff. She was OK against the Boston Colleges of the world, but not up to the Kentucky and Carolinas. Everyone is looking at every possible transfer as a solution for their problems.

I saw on Robocoach that Juarez might pitch for Puerto Rico, and Plein might pitch for Australia. Also saw a blurb that Lopez would be heading to Arizona, Louisiana, or LSU. There was even one that suggested that Palimino might transfer to OU.. . Rumors fly everywhere.

Last edited:
Gasso was on with Al Eschbach Friday night and when asked about incoming freshmen pitchers, Boone was not mentioned. Rains, McAdoo, and Thiede were mentioned. She also compared Flores' sister to Alo. I would say listing Mendes as a pitcher is a stretch. She can pitch, but it's pretty obvious that she would only ever be used sparingly.

But you just did, couldn’t help yourself.
I should not have. I apologize. In the mention of that and the Palomino potential, I was attempting to show some disdain. Obviously, there was no morale problem which she might have created.

Back