Softball

Aviu went 1 for 1 in her first game at RF for the Pride, single up the middle. Relieved Nicole Pendley, or Pendley relieved her. Nicole had the game's only RBI.

So far, Caleigh is at about 250. Sydney is at 222. Shay is killing it at 375. Had four RBIs on Thursday on a bases loaded double and a sac fly. Hit a double in her first game as well, with an RBI.

Carrie Eberle who was the ACC pitcher of the year has transferred to OSU from VT.

When you consider that FSU's Megan King was 30-6 with a 1.42 era in 207.1 innings and was in the ACC that is a big get for the pukes. Eberle was 25-8 with a 1.19 era in 201.1 innings.

They did have a big hole in their pitching staff losing 2 seniors who were probably their best 2.

Given the relative strengths of the teams in the ACC, I strongly suspect that Mariah Lopez could have been the Pitcher of the Year in the ACC, maybe even Saile. Other than VPI and FSU, they were about like playing Kansas. North Carolina was fair.. Notre Dame had some moments. Others were really bad. Kansas was probably better than Syracuse, Boston College, Virginia, and NC State.

Incidentally, Connecticut has announced that they will be back in the Big East in 2022.

So it looks like not only is Lopez transferring but so is Parker Conrad and Alexa Schultz.... Thoughts, anyone?

Lopez was 19-1 in 117.1 inning with a 1.25 era and 5 HR's allowed in 1919. I think Patty will be elated if her number 2 starter in 2020 can go 19-1 with a 1.25 era and 5 HR's allowed hopefully with a few more innings pitched. I will be too.

Big loss, and 2 meh's. Not sure how OU is going to absorb Lopez's starts, though.

Yes, Lopez is a quality pitcher, but I can't really blame her for wanting to have a shot as a staff ace in her senior season. The chances of that happening in Norman were slim and none, unless Puerto Rico makes the Olympics.

On the other hand, I don't believe Lopez has signed with another school yet, so maybe there's still a chance she'll return.

Hopefully what transpired that motivated Lopez to enter the transfer portal is here seeing Brooke Vestal's development as a redshirt and concluding she would be the #3 pitcher in 2020.

If so minutes in the circle could have been her primary motivation to transfer moreso than being the ace elsewhere.

Hopefully what transpired that motivated Lopez to enter the transfer portal is here seeing Brooke Vestal's development as a redshirt and concluding she would be the #3 pitcher in 2020.

If so minutes in the circle could have been her primary motivation to transfer moreso than being the ace elsewhere.

I hope you are correct on this! Lopez is good enough to be the ace for most teams, so I'm sure she just wants to be that her final year. Undeniable Juarez was the better pitcher IMO. Hoping Vestal is as good as advertised!

Personally I do not see Lopez as an ace for a team that wants to contended for the national championships. The very best hitting teams seem to make too much solid contact on her. But the ace for a Power 5 team in the BIG or ACC probably.

I personally am hoping that Vestal does statistically about the same as Lopez but be available to start some of the more critical games in the post season because she can shutdown some of the top quality teams. Maybe throw 30 innings more than Lopez and lessen Juarez's load by 30 innings.

Also if Vestal able to start game 2 in the WCWS if we get that far it would greatly enhance the Sooners' chances of winning it all as well as coming back through the losers bracket if necessary like FSU did in 2018 something you cannot do with just one key starter.

I'm hoping that Jaurez will develop some additional movement on her curve (and other pitches) so they wont be as flat as they have been. Needs more up and down movement.

I'm hoping that Jaurez will develop some additional movement on her curve (and other pitches) so they wont be as flat as they have been. Needs more up and down movement.

Not sure I agree with this. It's my opinion that G's curveball is one of the best (sharpest breaking) in the business. Of course I could be wrong.

Not sure I agree with this. It's my opinion that G's curveball is one of the best (sharpest breaking) in the business. Of course I could be wrong.

No question that "G's" curve did not have the vertical movement on it that was needed in both games against UCLA. That and she was not hitting her spots with the pitch. Get it over the white of the plate waist to chest high and just about every team is going to make good contact. What we do not really know is what impact "G" having to pitch 22.1 innings prior to the championship series had on her movement of her curve. How tired was she, how much did it impact her control and spin she could get on the ball.

"G" was able to contain Bama and OSU in the first 4 games of the WCWS. What I would like to see from "G" in 2020 is what we saw from Garcia in 2019. In the 2018 WCWS Garcia was hit hard by FSU twice. In the off season she developed a drop ball. That additional pitch improved her effectiveness immensely and she was dominant in the 2019 WCWS.

I hope you are correct on this! Lopez is good enough to be the ace for most teams, so I'm sure she just wants to be that her final year. Undeniable Juarez was the better pitcher IMO. Hoping Vestal is as good as advertised!

You hit the nail on the head. Mariah Lopez has transferred to Arizona. She will get her opportunity to be the ace of a top 10 program with Arizona's ace Taylor McQuillin graduating. Hopefully she will be successful until she faces the Sooners.

https://oklahoman.com/article/5634825/ou-softball-mariah-lopez-transfers-to-arizona

Last edited:
After looking at Snow's stats on the NCAA site, I wonder if she will be able to fight off LeValley, Donoho, and Flores. She is, indeed, a 324, 325 hitter, which is consistent. She has one HR in two years, very little extra base power. But, she is only about a 240-250 hitter in SEC play. Not much in the way of speed. Seems to be good at defense, but we have a SS.

Back