Softball

I went to the game, amazed at the size of the crowd. Observations-
Shannon Saile looked good, but consider the opponent. It's early
Nicole Mendes appears to have had leg surgery or has an injury or both
Kinzie Hansen very tall and athletic looking, played first base
The auburn transfer,.Taylon Snow played and looked good very fast, as was Rylie Boone who hit lead off, opened with a double, although she was probably really out at second
Seemed weird to see someone other than Syd at 3rd and CC at 2nd

Competition very lacking but Vestal, McAdoo and Rains all had control issues. They only had 3 BB's (McAdoo) for the doubleheader but consistently got behind hitters, over threw catchers multiple pitches in the dirt, hit batters. No reason to be concerned as it is early and MaAdoo and Rains are freshmen. But I was hoping for a little more from Vestal.

Lyons did not play short. That went to Donihoo. Lyons was DP and 1st.

Last edited:
Flores, A 800 4 for 5
Lyons 750 6 for 8
Donihoo 750 6 for 8
Green 600 6 for 10
Alo 583 7 for 12
Koeltzow 571 4 for 7
Boone 533 8 for 15
Snow 500 3 for 6
Pogue 429 3 for 7
Hansen 400 4 for 10
Elam 375 3 for 8
Flores, E 333 3 for 9
LeValley 167 1 for 6

2B: Boone 3, A Flores 3, Donihoo 3, Koeltzow 1, Pogue 1, Green 1, Elam 1, E.Flores 1, Hansen 1

3B: Lyons 1, Snow 1

HR: Alo 3, Pogue 1, Green 1

RBI: Donihoo 10, Alo 9, A. Flores 7, Koeltzow 5, Green 4, Snow 4, Boone 3, Pogue 3, E. Flores 2, Hensen 2, Elam 1,

SB: Donihoo 3,Koeltzow 1, Boone 1, Pogue 1, Alo 1, Hansen 1,

HBP: E. Flores 5

Four games against JC players. Donihoo may be a player. Seems to hit it hard, drive in runs, and steal bases. Only one player has been hit by a pitch, E. Flores----but she has 5. Alo seems to have HR power.

That worthless Ken Eriksen has done it again. He cut Keilani back in 2013 from Team USA when she would not sign a contract. This year he does not select ANY Sooners for Team USA. I am sorry but I can't yell for a team that he coaches. They did the World Cup of Softball in 2013 and he had Lauren bunting every time she went to the plate. So Keilani, Shelby, and Sydney did not make the team. I hope Japan or Mexico wins!!!

I don't know how a lackluster coach from South Florida who has never won anything in the NCAA is the coach.

Total Bases/Slugging percentage through four games of the Fall.

Flores. A 7/1400
Alo 16/1333
Donihoo 9/1125
Green 10/1000
Lyons 8/1000
Pogue 7/1000
Snow 5/833
Boone 11/733
Koeltzow 5/714
Hansen 5/500
Elam 4/500
Flores,E 4/444
LeValley 1/167

Would someone among this group please give us a report from the upcoming games? The administration is determined to avoid any coverage of individuals or games or activities of the team or personnel. Wonder how many national championships played for or won would it take to get some even passing notice?

Would someone among this group please give us a report from the upcoming games? The administration is determined to avoid any coverage of individuals or games or activities of the team or personnel. Wonder how many national championships played for or won would it take to get some even passing notice?

What more do you want besides game recaps, box scores and stats that are on the OU website?

It would not stretch the OU budget to put a fixed camera with wide angle lens pointing at second base for fall games. Since the annual interview of Patty introducing the newbies wasnt done; and no interviews of the coaching staff or players were done since the championship series was over. Since then there has been no coverage of the team or its members. It's as if it wasnt worth doing anything on it since it was not playing for a championship. Just ignore it completely.

I'd like to see the newcomers. I'd like to see the usual interview with Patty where she introduces the newcomers. I'd like to see an interview with our new pitching coach(if there was one it wasnt featured). What about an interview with the assistant coaches about whatever? We had some interesting assistants and it would be intertesting to hear their reactions to OU. And, Why not? Scrimmages can be interresting and informative. Why not show scrimmages of a national championship team? Why not? The coverage of this team is contemptible.

OU is not giving the softball team any less exposure than they give the women's gymnastics team which is winning national championships at a similar clip. The real problem is coverage of all minor sports of which softball is 1 of about 15 that get very little coverage with 4 (men's golf, men's gymnastics, women's gymnastics and softball) of those sports recently winning national championships.

Really only football, MBB, WBB and baseball get consistent coverage by the university media outlet.

Last edited:
Your best bet for any coverage of minor sports and it isn’t a lot, but OU Sooner Sports Spotlight. You have to have the Fox sports package or subscribe to SoonerSportstv, but it is worth it for me.

Back