Softball

The question is how does she get a sideline pass. There are about another 125 girlfriends that don't get one? :ez-laugh:

Mead was a fairly regular attendee at softball games last spring, now we know why. Likely a softball player has little trouble getting a field pass

Mead was a fairly regular attendee at softball games last spring, now we know why. Likely a softball player has little trouble getting a field pass

I would doubt just being a softball player warrants a field pass. Too many football players date other athletes that might also want a field pass and that is a bad precedent to set. But who knows Mendes obviously has one.

Well, she didn’t have a pass around her neck, so I’m guessing she wasn’t on the field the whole game.

Last edited:
My guess is she was with the recruits on the field as Tiare Jennings has a picture of herself on the sidelines posted on her twitter feed.

Yes but we have 7 more home games (22) scheduled than last year. Also last year in conference we played Baylor and 1 OSU game in Norman and were on the road to Texas, Kansas, ISU and Tech. This year we have Texas, Kansas, Tech and 2 OSU games in Norman closing the season with 10 of 13 at home. Last year it was 1 of 13 at home to finish the regular season.

Much better season for the OU softball fan. 50% more home games and 11 home conference games vs 4. I'll take it as I did not expect as tough of a schedule will a very young team with 4 freshmen likely to start.

Last edited:
I am accustomed to playing three or four top ten teams in three or four western tournaments.

I am accustomed to playing three or four top ten teams in three or four western tournaments.

OU does have the 3 western tournaments this year but only Washington and Arizona are top teams so the level of competition is down slightly. My guess is with the very young starting lineup comprised of as many as 4 freshman motived Patty is motivated to get this team off to a fast start rather than immediately push the team to elevate their play. But who knows. I trust that Patty has pushed the right buttons going into 2019-20.

OU does have the 3 western tournaments this year but only Washington and Arizona are top teams so the level of competition is down slightly. My guess is with the very young starting lineup comprised of as many as 4 freshman motived Patty is motivated to get this team off to a fast start rather than immediately push the team to elevate their play. But who knows. I trust that Patty has pushed the right buttons going into 2019-20.

Patty promised everyone a ton of home games this year because OU only played like 13 regular season games at home last year! She heard about it from the season ticket holders. The Iowa State switch two years ago put it in this situation. Not very many top teams want to travel to Norman to play softball against the Sooners! The road schedule is really not much different than any year! They played 5 at Grand Canyon last year in Phoenix and did a Cal State tour at Marymount, Fullerton and Nortbridge! All will be fine!

From Eric Bailey: Sooners ace pitcher Giselle Juarez 'embracing the moment' as she enters senior season

Excerpt...

NORMAN — Giselle Juarez has only been on Oklahoma’s campus for 13 months, but she has made her presence felt on the tradition-rich softball program.

The pitcher’s dominance after transferring from Arizona State helped the Sooners reach the Women’s College World Series, where OU ended as the national runner-up to UCLA last season.

The whirlwind will end during her senior season, which begins Thursday against Nevada in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.

“Last year, I wouldn’t say I felt like a freshman, but it kind of had that feeling because I was somewhere new,” the left-hander said. “This year, I’m a senior and I think, ‘Oh, my gosh, I’m almost done at OU.’

“I wish I had another two more years here because my experience here has been amazing.”

Is Giselle hurt? I can see if they want to give the freshmen a look, but I don’t think she has pitched at all in the fall or spring. Shannon is pitching with a painful toe, Snow hurt her ankle in the first game and Mendes is out for at least a couple of more weeks. We are really banged up, but the freshmen have really stepped up so far.

One of these last two games, do not know if it was BYU or GWU, I thought it showed her pitching two innings. Maybe the final two of the game and Shannon the other.

And Brooke Vestal pitched some. Is she the red-shirt freshman that was highly recruited?

She did pitch the last two innings against BYU, gave up one run no hits. Also see that Talon Snow not playing apparently hurt her ankle earlier. Hope thats not too serious. Scary play last night when Riley Boone made a diving catch and fell into the cf wall but apparently ok

One of these last two games, do not know if it was BYU or GWU, I thought it showed her pitching two innings. Maybe the final two of the game and Shannon the other.

And Brooke Vestal pitched some. Is she the red-shirt freshman that was highly recruited?

Yep, and she's the same RS freshman who everyone on robocoach (except for a few of us OU fans) guaranteed was going to transfer and would never play a game for the Crimson and Cream.

Soonersports.com lists a dozen or so games in February that will be available through FloSoftball.com. After that, every game has only a Listen option. Obviously some of those games will be streamed or televised, but does anyone know how often SoonersSports.tv televises softball games? I'm trying to decide whether to put my membership on pause for a while (and buy a month's membership on FloSoftball instead).

Back