Softball

North Texas beats OU at home for the first time ever 4-3.

UNT is a quality team, so no disrespect intended. But OU at full strength with the injuries to every player/pitcher completely healed, run-rules that team 8 out of 10 times they play.

We left 8 on base. Twice with the bases loaded good hitters pooped and fell back.

UNT is a quality team, so no disrespect intended. But OU at full strength with the injuries to every player/pitcher completely healed, run-rules that team 8 out of 10 times they play.

Agree. If we just had G and Mendez even that would make a huge difference not counting everyone else. We have to hope everyone can get well by Big 12.

Today NTS was better in the circle, better AB and had more power. Today NTS was the better team. For the season that is another question with the answer yet to be determined. As for injuries that is part of the game and affect every team over the season. It is an excuse for losers. It always has been an always will be.

This Sooner team is not going to play to near the level of those of the past half dozen years. Too much youth offensively and in the circle. I see a very remote chance that OU could finish 3rd in conference behind Texas and/or OSU. I still see Patty winning B12 but it is going to be a dog fight and the kids are going to have to grow up fast.

Also the last thing we need is for Mike White come in from Oregon and the Pac 12 and win the conference championship his second season but it appears very doable. And the last thing we want is the national media getting behind Mike White and his immediate success in Austin. We really need this team of kids to show to Mike White that he is still playing second fiddle. That is going to be a tough row for these freshmen to hoe unless "G" gets back to her "A" game as does Saile.

Like I said: we need to get well before Big 12 play begins.

One thing I think we(or at least I am) are realizing is just how special it was for romero, clfiton, knighten, rogers and lundeberg to come in and do what they did as freshmen

One thing I think we(or at least I am) are realizing is just how special it was for romero, clfiton, knighten, rogers and lundeberg to come in and do what they did as freshmen

I'm sure it was just an oversight, but you failed to mention Aviu.

Yes I did my bad. I even looked up the roster and missed her. She was certainly a major major contributor. In truth, as freshmen it was largely knighten, romero and clifton.
As far as injuries being "excuses for losers"- I don't think theres another team that currently has 3 starting non pitchers out for injury(mendes, boone and snow) and two starting pitchers, including last years ace, with injuries. Saille is pitching but I think her toe is bothering her still, and G isn't pitching at all now

I would add Wodach, Pendley, Arnold and Paige Parker in there, too. Those two classes combined help make OU what they were during the last few years.

I would add Wodach, Pendley, Arnold and Paige Parker in there, too. Those two classes combined help make OU what they were during the last few years.

No doubt the players you mentioned were major contributors. In fact, I'm not sure that Paige Parker wasn't the queen of contributors.

I do believe, however, that bob was commenting only about the contributions made by that those remarkable 2016 freshmen (last year's senior class).

When you have a senior class that had OBPs of .455, .389, .540, .461, .459 and .353 while driving in 3.20 runs per game and hitting .95 HRs per game in 2019 their freshmen replacement are very unlikely to produce accordingly.

YTD they are averaging 2.0 rbis and .22 HR/game.

Last edited:
When you have a senior class that had OBPs of .455, .389, .540, .461, .459 and .353 while driving in 3.20 runs per game and hitting .95 HRs per game in 2019. Their freshmen replacement are very unlikely to produce accordingly.

YTD they are averaging 2.0 rbis and .22 HR/game.

The remarkable thing is that those seniors to which you refer were basically doing the same thing since they were freshmen.

Perhaps that's the main reason I failed to predict the drop in production by this year's freshmen. I now readily admit my lapse in judgement.

The remarkable thing is that those seniors to which you refer were basically doing the same thing since they were freshmen.

Perhaps that's the main reason I failed to predict the drop in production by this year's freshmen. I now readily admit my lapse in judgement.

Patty's efficiency doing her job can sometimes lull all of of into thinking what we are seeing on the field is the just the norm. But what we saw as OU's everyday routine from Romero, Fala, McKnight, Clifton, Rogers and Lundenberg were an OU exception we are not likely to see again (166 HRs and 840 rbis). However Patty is still here so who knows.

Last edited:
A little bad luck so far this year with team health but I have faith in Patty. Those seniors are difficult to replace.

Had Vestal played any lately? Nobody has mentioned her. I had high hopes for her this season..

She pitched 6 innings last Friday against Abilene Christian and I thought she had better control than her last outings. She has pitched 18 innings total. We could really use her. Thiede has only pitched 3 innings, which makes me wonder if she is having some physical issues since we could really use a left-handed pitcher. Snow got hit in her mouth with a ball and had to have 10 stitches. She is in concussion protocol, so no telling when she will be back.

Vestal pitched a gem today. Complete game with 1 run, 3 hits, 8 strikeouts and most important of all, NO walks. She seems to be getting better every time out. Nice to see. We won 6-1.

Back