Softball

I'm going to say I think it's an over-reaction to cancel spring sports so quickly, but it appears done. What will happen with eligibility- do seniors like Mendes and Juarez get an extra year? Probably it seems. What about current juniors or sophomores or freshmen?

From Eric Bailey: Patty Gasso says three seniors have plans to return to Norman in 2021

Gasso met with her team shortly after Thursday’s decision to sever the season. The meeting was thorough, including expectations about what to expect academically.

While it was a shock, no tears were shed by the players. They absorbed the news well and after going through all the details, Gasso told her team to go home.

“Life is real. We need to get these guys home with their families and let them be with their loved ones during this time of uncertainty,” Gasso said.

The main question came from the three seniors — Giselle Juarez, Nicole Mendes and Shannon Saile. They wanted to know if they would get their eligibility back from the lost season. All three currently plan to return to campus, Gasso said.

There were plans for Juarez and Mendes to petition for a medical redshirt and they had a good chance to be awarded one. Saile may benefit if the NCAA allows an extra year of eligibility.

PS: The Tulsa World has dropped its paywall on all the coverage related to the coronavirus.*Find all the coverage on our Special Report page.

PSA: I was just going through my viewing guide & saw that game 1 of the Florida series is scheduled to be on ESPN 2 Sunday @ 1 PM. Just a heads up.

PSA for another trip down memory lane; game 1 of the ‘13 WCWS vs. Tennessee is scheduled to be shown on ESPNU Wednesday afternoon @ 3 CST, with an encore showing @ 3 AM Thursday morning.

Considering the quality of players already on Patty's roster, plus the incoming freshmen and those committed for the following year, I'm not so sure how much impact Jana Johns will have on the softball team.

Johns is a good/very good player, both offensively and defensively. But we've got better coming this fall and even more next year. JMHO

Last edited:
It's amusing to go back and read the speculation about the incoming freshman class of Sid, Shay, CC, etc now that they have graduated with 2 national championships. Who knew? We'll probably never see another team to match the 2013 team but that bunch of kids came close.

Man, this next season has the potential to be a great one with all of the talent we'll have! Fingers crossed! Definitely a bright future ahead for this team!

It will be interesting to watch Jana Johns and Eliyah Flores battle for the starting 3rd base spot.

Don’t count out Puni.
Gasso said Zaida is a really strong presence at third base. Again, looking at her and her body and her style, she's made to play third base in college. That position requires a special athlete. You've got to be fearless and have great instincts, move well, understand the game, have a good arm and be able to throw from different angles. Zaida can do all that.

This will be a battle. I think Johns wins it because of experience, however, Puni can't be ignored. I think Flores would really have to turn it on to win the position. Gasso will field the best players.

It's amusing to go back and read the speculation about the incoming freshman class of Sid, Shay, CC, etc now that they have graduated with 2 national championships. Who knew? We'll probably never see another team to match the 2013 team but that bunch of kids came close.

The 2016 team was amazing. They struggled in February and March but found the magic. A big reason for this was the leadership of two holdovers from 2013, Erin Miller and Kady Self. They were spectacular in leading the team. It was Sooner Magic all year. It is amazing that they finished: 2016 National Champs, 2017 National Champs, 2018 Fourth Place, 2019 National Runner Up.

The 2013 team was probably the best softball team ever. They were on a mission from the moment they lost the "rain" game for the championship in 2012. They had it all. Pitching with Ricketts and Gascoigne. Power with Chamberlain, Pendley, Ricketts, and Shults. Unmatched speed with Turang, Martinez, and Parsons. Their defense was the best in the nation. However, their mission was serious even with the attributes because they wanted to win so bad. It was amazing.

I am not one to dwell in the past as that is history and today and tomorrow is the future to be. But it is difficult to not so fondly remember that 2013 team and its mission. No question Self & Miller were two of the real keys to that team's success.

I, too, am convinced that the 2016 team's success (and therefore the 2017 team's) was due to the leadership of Erin and Self. Apparently the 2013 team was so concentrated on winning the championship that they didnt pay much attention to the incoming freshmen. Erin said that she and Kady wanted to change that and make the incoming freshmen feel welcome and comfortable.

I, too, am convinced that the 2016 team's success (and therefore the 2017 team's) was due to the leadership of Erin and Self. Apparently the 2013 team was so concentrated on winning the championship that they didnt pay much attention to the incoming freshmen. Erin said that she and Kady wanted to change that and make the incoming freshmen feel welcome and comfortable.

That all started with guess who, Patty Gasso. She brought in Erin and Kady, the captains, and they had a big pow wow before the Fall in 2015. The rest is history. There is not two more incredible young ladies than Erin and Kady. The team was special.

There was a pow wow????? I missed that, I love to go to pow wows.

oh wait....maybe you just meant they had a meeting. sorry. my mistake.

I saw an article from The Football Brainiacs board that said Juarez's surgery was Tommy John surgery. I don't read every softball article available out their so maybe I just missed that reference to her surgery before. Anyway, it said she was recovering well, throwing overhand and light toss underhand. It also said that Mendez rehab for ACL surgery was ahead of schedule. She will play for OU this spring and then Mexico in the 2021 Summer Olympics. Freshman CF Rylie Boone had surgery for a torn meniscus and has been cleared to return to softball activities.

I saw an article from The Football Brainiacs board that said Juarez's surgery was Tommy John surgery. I don't read every softball article available out their so maybe I just missed that reference to her surgery before. Anyway, it said she was recovering well, throwing overhand and light toss underhand. It also said that Mendez rehab for ACL surgery was ahead of schedule. She will play for OU this spring and then Mexico in the 2021 Summer Olympics. Freshman CF Rylie Boone had surgery for a torn meniscus and has been cleared to return to softball activities.

Over the years, James Hale has always makes me wonder. Juarez's injury was a torn bicep on her pitching arm. If it was a Tommy John surgery that would be totally new. That is a total reconstruction of the ulnar ligament in the elbow that would be replaced by a tendon from the leg. She would not be back so quick. The Fall would be out of the question. As for Rylie Boone, she strained her PCL which is the big ligament in the knee. She never had surgery and Patty expected he back late in the season last year. Usually, it is the ACL. She will be good to go next year, however, I was stunned by James article. He called Rylie, the best defensive CF in OU softball history. I think she is going to be a great player (speed to burn) but I think she has to earn it. First, I think Jaden Coleman will take the position next year. Second, I don't know how you can make that claim after she has played only three games. Erin Evans, Kristen Vesely, Destinee Martinez, and Nicole Pendley say hello on that comment.

You talk about a season to be excited about. Next year, is going to be crazy with the incoming talent and everybody back. I have another interesting comment, I think Lauren will lose her Home Run Record to Jocelyn Alo. This will happen because of the 7 home runs that she hit in the COVID year. She has 53 home runs with two years to play. She is 42 away.

Unfortunately, I think Arizona's Jessie Harper will beat Lauren's record before Alo will. Harper is a senior who hit 10 HRs in the shortened season and will get a full 2021 season to continue her chase -- she now just needs 19 HRs to tie the record.

Back