Softball

If you didn’t watch this game you missed a good one. OU won 6-4 in 10 innings and these freshmen are a scrappy bunch.

And if you did watch it you missed a lot of the action, the main feed for the game was from the cf camera behind the pitcher, if the ball was hit, by the time they changed to the behind the plate view the play was over. And an attempt to watch the game and listen to the radio was unsuccessful because the radio was about 5 seconds ahead of tv.
Gritty win against zona especially coming on the heels of a major pitching meltdown in the 7th against LBS coughing up a 3 run lead in the bottom of the 7th. Grace Lyons was credited with a error on what could have ended the play but it was a tough play on a hard hit ball, if that play happens in Norman it's scored a base hit.

If you didn’t watch this game you missed a good one. OU won 6-4 in 10 innings and these freshmen are a scrappy bunch.

Absolutely! I think this club is a better softball team today than they were yesterday. Getting the start for Patty and delivering 4.2 innings against what is the best power team in the country and maybe the best hitting team was a confidence builder for Macy McAdoo. Ditto for by 4.2 innings of relief from freshman Oliva Rains. Then freshman Raylee Pogue coming in with the big double in the 7th.

Very impressed with mcadoo and raines. Shannon Saille pitched well against AZ but she couldn't get it done against LBS
Chris Plank said something about how long Boone was going to be out but I missed most of it. Anyone hear that? He said no surgery but I missed it if he said when she might be back

Plank was very vague about Boone’s injury except to say that it would be awhile before she returned and Patty had said it wasn’t season ending. Hopefully we get her back before Big 12 play. Right now we really only have Pogue and Koeltzow off the bench. Watching that awful Arizona feed made me really appreciate SoonerSportstv.

So where are we after the first 3 weekends?
With the same number of regular season losses we had all of last year
With a bad loss today- not sure whether it was Patty or Jen that made the dubious decision to let Saille struggle her way out of a 4 run inning, featuring 4 walks, a hit by pitch on an 0-2 count with the bases loaded, and two bad throws by our captain catcher on delayed steals with runner on third, producing two runs and no outs.
Yes we have injuries and lots of youngsters. So hopefully it gets better. Thoughts?

As fans of the most dominant program of the last decade, we've become spoiled. Let's try to remain supportive of the program that's given us four WCWS titles since 2000. Patty and her players will correct the current deficiencies. I'd bet on it.

It's all about how you're playing at the end of the year. I have no problem letting the younger members get experience so they will be ready come May.

I'm with Bob on the poor coaching decision to not relieve Shannon earlier in the 2nd inning before we got down 4 runs. It was very obvious that Saile was struggling with her control, and not like we didn't have good relievers ready to go. Regardless if it was Patty's decision or Jen's, it was a bad decision. It's kind of shocking when our coaches contribute to a loss, but that's what happened, IMO.

Gotta put it behind us and move on, though.

It isn't all about how you play at the end. It's about having a good enough record to get a top eight seed. Your chances of advancing as the away team in a super regional are much less, the sooners win at Auburn not withstanding. The ideal mix when playing in these tournaments is get the youngsters some game experience but don't lose games to teams you shouldn't. We have now lost two games we shouldn't have, the brighter side being we likely won one(Arizona) that maybe we shouldn't have.

When the last few years we havent done as well as we might, it has been the hitting - not the defense or coaching that has let us down. We have too many freshmen to get flummoxed at hitting just yet.

When the last few years we havent done as well as we might, it has been the hitting - not the defense or coaching that has let us down. We have too many freshmen to get flummoxed at hitting just yet.

Couldn't the same be said for the defense and pitching?

except that the hitting problem occurred later in the season when you might reasonably expect the upper classmen would be near their best with both hitting defense and pitching. Freshmen might be expected to struggle at times. I dont know why Saile had such an off day unless her toe was hurting but then why pitch her?

except that the hitting problem occurred later in the season when you might reasonably expect the upper classmen would be near their best with both hitting defense and pitching. Freshmen might be expected to struggle at times. I dont know why Saile had such an off day unless her toe was hurting but then why pitch her?

Personally I attribute most of the late season hitting issues as an outgrowth of suddenly facing the better pitching from the Pac 12 and SEC in the post season as opposed to that of the pitching of the Big 12. Pac 12 schools and SEC have been looking at that quality of pitching for two months prior to the post season. For the Big 12 teams it is surprise the pitching just got better.

Likewise the pitching is generally not as good as it has been when they are facing batters of the very best hitting teams in the country. It is as though the fans of all schools not just OU forget that the WCWS is the best of the best and in most instances the players performances are not going to be to their earlier production levels. And it is those few players that do step up that determines who wins the natty.

Last edited:
Kudos to Alo and Donihoo today who had to switch positions again since Snow is banged up. Donihoo is even trying to bat from the left side to utilize her speed like Arnold did.

Kudos to Alo and Donihoo today who had to switch positions again since Snow is banged up. Donihoo is even trying to bat from the left side to utilize her speed like Arnold did.

I hope from my perspective that Donihoo is more successful than was Arnold trying to be a leftie slap hitter.

Back