Softball

That's between you and the Olympic committee. Obviously they have their reasons be they what they may. But I expect that all the participants have become naturalized citizens of the countries they represent and hold citizenship in two countries.

Also could be that all the American girls participating for Mexico are children of parents who are Mexican citizens and therefore natural citizens.

Last edited:
Last weekend, Chris Plank said coverage of this weekend's games against ISU would be radio-only, but I see now that all three will be aired on Big 12 Now on ESPN+, which is great news.

"G" continued to have her difficulties will allowing HRs. She surrendered HRs #8 & #9 for the seasonin only 46 innings. Thats twice the rate she has been allowing them for her career. We know Patty says she is only 75% coming back from her injury but this will have to be fixed to be a serious contender in the WCWS if they can get there.

Alo had 2 dingers to raise her numbers to 21 HRs in 23 games. "G" did throw a compete game with 11 Ks but 1 HR every 5.11 inning while the rest of the staff is allowing only 1 dinger every 28.33 innings is not going to get the job done. "G" has always allowed too many HRs ( 1 every 10.8 innings) for her career but Patty desperately needs "G" to get back to that career average or she is likely to allow an elite opponent to hit a big fly late in a playoff game that sends the Sooners home for the season. JMHO.

soonersports.com/sports/softball/stats/2021/iowa-state/boxscore/11263

OU run rules ISU 10-2. Elam and Green had HRs. Saile had 11 Ks but also had 4 BB and 2 HBP. ISU pitching surrendered. Alo did not have a hit as she was walked 4 times.

I do not know the rule for softball. But the baseball rule but the baseball rule would allow Alo's 37 game hitting streak to remain in tact.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitting_streak

Thanks for the artical and perhaps the article implies what you suggest. However as I read it the article only says is that she took the walk in her last AB to eliminate her ability to get that last hit. It says nothing about what she had done in her earlier ABs which could have been all outs in official ABs.

Perhaps that is the most likely occurrence being a leadoff hitter as she obviously walks a lot in attempt to get on base however opponents likely seldom try to pitch around her thereby giving her a free pass. The last thing any team wants is the leadoff hitter getting on base.

Also Florida does not play Division I softball when Rebecca Laudino had her hitting streak Florida Southwestern State played division III softball but have now moved up to Division II. The NCAA keeps seperate records for each of the 3 divisions. As a consequence Costal Carolina's Sara Graziano is still listed as the leader with a 43 game hitting streak for Division I.

Also Rebecca Laudino is not listed by the NCAA as the all time leader in consecutive hitting streak in either Division II (41—Katelyn Lovato, Adams St., March 6, 2010-Feb. 12, 2011)or Division III (44—Heather Bortz, Moravian, April 15, 2003-
April 17, 2004).

Moreover SoonerSports.com is reporting Alo's hitting streak remains intact:

"Iowa State's pitching staff walked 11 batters on the day, including four to senior Jocelyn Alo in her four plate appearances. It marked the first time that an OU batter drew four-plus walks in a game since Nicole Pendley drew four free bases against Iowa State on March 31, 2017. With no recorded at-bats, Alo's program-record 37 game hit streak remains intact".

https://www.naplesnews.com/story/sp...p-verot-fort-myers-palmetto-ridge/4340397001/

https://www.ncaa.org/championships/statistics/2020-ncaa-softball-records

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/SB_Records/2020/D1.pdf

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/SB_Records/2020/D2.pdf

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/SB_Records/2020/D3.pdf

Last edited:
Yeah, I heard today that her streak was still alive, so it must be the same as baseball.

Last edited:
Beat ISU 22-2 Sunday. Alo extends hitting streak to 38 games. All time record is 43. Jennings, Hansen and Donihoo went yard. Jennings had 6 rbis.

Last edited:
25 games does not a season make but initially it appears the 2021 Sooners are by far the best hitting team Patty has ever put on the field. I looked at games, batting average and home runs for 9 seasons (2012-2021) which starts with Lauren Chamberlain's freshman year. If we get to the WCWS and play 60+ games (35+ more games) the comparison will be more complete. But as of today is appears there is no real comparison as this team is likely to hit 50 points better for average and maybe 20+ more dingers.

Year Gms BA HRs

2021 25 .461 84

2020 24 .317 34

2019 63 .344 115

2018 62 .321 82

2017 70 .311 66

2016 65 .351 70

2015 58 .361 107

2014 64 .319 90

2013 61 .335 94

2012 64 .316 102

stats.ncaa.org/team/522/stats?game_sport_year_ctl_id=10900&id=10900&year_stat_category_id=1

A pitcher, especially one with an injury as severe and slow to heal as G's, doesn't go from 75 percent to 100 percent overnight.

That's why Patty is leaving G in games even when she's struggled somewhat. I don't claim to be as smart as some on this board, but what Patty's doing makes perfect sense to me. Let G work herself back to her previous level by throwing lots of pitches against some of our weaker opponents.

No doubt Patty is focused on having the best possible "G" come post season and it will be step by step. Fortunately with the conference season starting last weekend in Ames and now OU is now going to be playing better quality teams and those better quality hitters will help "G" progress more quickly.

Last edited:
OU beats Kansas 6-2 in second game. Dinger 10. "G" was not sharp whatsoever the first 2 inning then got her game together and 1 run with 9 Ks of 22 batters faced and 0 BBs. Allowed 4 hits. 2 in 1st, 1 (HR) in 2nd & 1 in 3rd in 6 innings. OU wins 6-2. Alo extended hitting streak to 40 games (all-time record 43 games). OU's consecutive games with a HR came to an end.

Very frustrating to have a whole week of softball postponed. I wonder if Baylor needs a little guidance in how to properly follow Covid protocols.

The home 3 game series for the lead in the Big 12 conference and likely regular season championship should be exciting. OU is ranked #1 & Texas is ranked #7 by USA Today/Coaches/ESPN. Currently OU is ranked #1 in BA with a .457 average. Texas #2 with a .373. OU is ranked #1 in HRs with 91. Texas #14 with 45. OU is ranked #1 in scoring averaging 12.07 r/g. Texas is #7 with 7.60 r/g. OU is ranked #9 in ERA with a 1.45. Texas #30 with a 1.95.

www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/usa-today/nfca-coaches

D1 Softball: OU #1 Texas #12

d1softball.com/d1softballs-top-25-rankings-wichita-state-enters-arkansas-continues-climb/

NCAA Softball RPI: Totally screwed up. It has OU ranked #15 and Texas #25 with Alabama 29-4 ranked #1 and LSU 21-12 ranked #4. The RPI has 4 SEC teams in their top 6 including Arkansas at #6.

www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi

stats.ncaa.org/rankings?sport_code=WSB&division=1

Last edited:
OU has added a game against Miss. St and La Tech for Saturday. Double header starts at 12:30 with Miss St. Can be watched on CUSA.tv. A 24 hour pass is $6.95

OU run rules Mississippi State 9-0 in 4.5 innings. Jennings had the only dinger and 3 rbis. "G" gets the win on a 1 hitter with Saile throwing the last 2 innings. Juarez walked 2. Only OU's 9th run was earned. OU scored 3 consecutive runs on 3 consecutive wild pitches and 8 runs in the 3rd inning all unearned.

OU run rules Louisiana Tech 10-0 in 5. Jana Johns has the only dinger & 3 ribis. Hansen goes 2-3 with 2 rbis. Nicole May starts and throws 3.1 innings. Faced 11 batters, allowed 1 hit, 2 FOs, 1 GO and had 7 Ks.

Back