Softball

OU still #3 in the RPI behind Florida and Michigan and in front of Auburn and Alabama.

Has there been a statement from the team as to the reason that Sydney has
not played a couple of games? I believe she didn't play in one and then did and then didn't? Do you know if she has tweaked something and this is precautionary?

Sydney tweaked her knee but played on Saturday against Tennessee and hit on Sunday. I expect she will be fine.

OU still #3 in the RPI behind Florida and Michigan and in front of Auburn and Alabama.

You're right, of course, but that's still good news. I really didn't expect us to overtake UF or Michigan, but I would imagine we may have widened the gap over the teams that are behind us. The RPI sites that I view only show the position that each team is ranked; none of them give an actual RPI.

The new rankings that will come out tomorrow may move us up some from the No. 9. Of course, that really isn't as big a factor as the RPI. As long as we remain in or around the top 10, our strong RPI should keep us where we want to be.

If the rpi were to be used exactly as it now stands, these would be the anticipated super-regionals.

UCLA at Florida
LSU at Michigan
Baylor at Oklahoma
Tennessee at Alabama
Kentucky at Auburn
Missouri at James Madison
Louisiana-Lafayette at Oregon
Florida State at Washington

If these were the teams, I would expect Baylor to end up at Bama or Auburn rather than OU. OU might get Missouri. Louisiana-Lafayette, having already played Oregon and Florida, might be sent to Auburn or Alabama. Oregon might end up with Kentucky or Tennessee with Washington getting the other. This is simply trying to avoid conference rematches.

I think it is imperative that OU refrain from losing. We simply don't have a good opponent left that will help our rpi overcome a loss. We have benefited from the way some of our opponents have played. Bama and Tennessee are tied for third in the SEC. UCLA is second, and Utah is third, in the Pacific Twelve. Minnesota and Michigan are running away with the Big Ten. I think we are 8-4 against the top 25 and 17-7 against the top 50. We don't have a bad loss, Kansas (#42) being our worst loss.

I think the one thing that is surprising happened last week. OU swept Texas at home and moved from #7 to #3. Texas had an RPI of #36. I am hoping that #36 Tulsa and #40 OSU hold the same effect. Texas Tech is #82 and Iowa State is #172. We will find out after this weekend. I expect OU will drop behind Bama after this week. We need Tennessee and Auburn to split this week.

Games this week:

Auburn at Tennessee
South Carolina at Alabama
Florida at A&M
Michigan at Penn State
James Madison at Elon
Arizona at Oregon
Utah at Washington
ULL at Georgia Southern
Florida State at Pittsburgh

Sooners up one spot, from No. 9 to No. 8 in this week's ESPN poll. No change in USA Today/Coaches poll; still No. 9.

I guess I thought we might see a little bigger jump after our performances last week. Counting the Arkansas game, we outscored four opponents 23-1. And two were from the SEC. Oh well, carry on.

Alabama, Auburn, Florida State and Oregon still have a tough schedule ahead of them that could help them in the RPI if they win out. Conversely a couple of losses would be detrimental to their RPI. I would think all of them losing 2 games is remotely possible. Alabama has series at South Carolina and Georgia. Auburn is at Tennessee and plays aTm. Florida State has two games with Florida in Tallahassee. Oregon host Arizona and Utah and goes to California. I would like to see Tennessee take two of three from Auburn or the Vols and the aggies each take one, one of Bama's two losses be to South Carolina and Florida take two from FSU.

If we could get those losses I think we would lock the #3 seed provided we win out.

Alabama, Auburn, Florida State and Oregon still have a tough schedule ahead of them that could help them in the RPI if they win out. Conversely a couple of losses would be detrimental to their RPI. I would think all of them losing 2 games is remotely possible. Alabama has series at South Carolina and Georgia. Auburn is at Tennessee and plays aTm. Florida State has two games with Florida in Tallahassee. Oregon host Arizona and Utah and goes to California. I would like to see Tennessee take two of three from Auburn or the Vols and the aggies each take one, one of Bama's two losses be to South Carolina and Florida take two from FSU.

If we could get those losses I think we would lock the #3 seed provided we win out.

I couldn't argue with that logic, Spock. But I don't really understand how RPI is figured, so I won't be surprised how it plays out when all is said and done.

We made a huge jump in RPI when we swept Baylor and Texas. Both are good teams, but only Baylor had a high RPI. We haven't lost a game since, and our last four wins included a high-profile 9-0 road shutout of a Tennessee team that had a high RPI and had not lost a home game all season (18-0). Still, it's understandable that our RPI remained static since the only two teams above us continued to win as well.

If our Sooners win out to finish the regular season, I'm almost convinced that any loss by either Michigan or Florida will move us up a spot in RPI. A loss by both of those teams could hand us the #1 spot in the RPI.

I couldn't argue with that logic, Spock. But I don't really understand how RPI is figured, so I won't be surprised how it plays out when all is said and done.

We made a huge jump in RPI when we swept Baylor and Texas. Both are good teams, but only Baylor had a high RPI. We haven't lost a game since, and our last four wins included a high-profile 9-0 road shutout of a Tennessee team that had a high RPI and had not lost a home game all season (18-0). Still, it's understandable that our RPI remained static since the only two teams above us continued to win as well.

If our Sooners win out to finish the regular season, I'm almost convinced that any loss by either Michigan or Florida will move us up a spot in RPI. A loss by both of those teams could hand us the #1 spot in the RPI.

There may be a chance that OU could jump Michigan with a wolverine loss but I think there is virtually no chance to jump Florida if they lose a game based on how RPI is calculated.

An institution’s RPI ranking consists of three factors that are weighted as follows:
1. I Winning Percentage -- 25 percent of the RPI
2. Opponent Strength of Schedule -- 50 percent of the RPI
3. Opponents’ Opponent Strength of Schedule -- 25 percent of the RPI

OU possibly could jump Michigan if their loss was to Central Michigan or Rutgers but a loss to Penn State which trails Michigan in the B10 by only 2 games would not be a bad loss.

If you look at the Nitty Gritty report attached you will also see all the teams record against teams ranked 1-25, 26-50, 51-100 and 101-150. Both Florida 28-3 and Michigan 23-4 have a much better record against the top 50 teams than does OU 18-7. Michigan does have a bad loss to North Dakota State and another bad loss to Central Michigan or Rutgers might allow the Sooners to jump them. Florida like OU has no bad losses plus they play in the SEC and that means something in the RPI.

For instance look a Alabama and Texas A&M. Bama is 13-7 against top 25 teams and still rank #4 in RPI because six of those losses are to SEC teams plus OU. aTm is 6-12 against top 25 teams but all of their wins and all but one of their losses are to SEC teams so they are ranked #22 in the RPI and #18 in the coaches poll. Every team in the RPI top 15 with a losing record against top 25 teams is from the SEC except Louisiana Lafayette and they had a winning record until losing 3 games to Florida this past weekend.

Playing the B12 hurts OU's RPI big time. We have 3 teams ranked in the top 35 the SEC has 12 teams. Fortunately the Sooners have been good enough to overcome factors #2 and #3 above.

https://rpiarchive.ncaa.org/Stats Library/SB Nitty Gritty thru April 24 2016.pdf

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/usa-todaynfca-coaches

Last edited:
There may be a chance that OU could jump Michigan with a wolverine loss but I think there is virtually no chance to jump Florida if they lose a game based on how RPI is calculated.

An institution’s RPI ranking consists of three factors that are weighted as follows:
1. I Winning Percentage -- 25 percent of the RPI
2. Opponent Strength of Schedule -- 50 percent of the RPI
3. Opponents’ Opponent Strength of Schedule -- 25 percent of the RPI

OU possibly could jump Michigan if their loss was to Central Michigan or Rutgers but a loss to Penn State which trails Michigan in the B10 by only 2 games would not be a bad loss.

If you look at the Nitty Gritty report attached you will also see all the teams record against teams ranked 1-25, 26-50, 51-100 and 101-150. Both Florida 28-3 and Michigan 23-4 have a much better record against the top 50 teams than does OU 18-7. Michigan does have a bad loss to North Dakota State and another bad loss to Central Michigan or Rutgers might allow the Sooners to jump them. Florida like OU has no bad losses plus they play in the SEC and that means something in the RPI.

For instance look a Alabama and Texas A&M. Bama is 13-7 against top 25 teams and still rank #4 in RPI because six of those losses are to SEC teams plus OU. aTm is 6-12 against top 25 teams but all of their wins and all but one of their losses are to SEC teams so they are ranked #22 in the RPI and #18 in the coaches poll. Every team in the RPI top 15 with a losing record against top 25 teams is from the SEC except Louisiana Lafayette and they had a winning record until losing 3 games to Florida this past weekend.

Playing the B12 hurts OU's RPI big time. We have 3 teams ranked in the top 35 the SEC has 12 teams. Fortunately the Sooners have been good enough to overcome factors #2 and #3 above.

https://rpiarchive.ncaa.org/Stats Library/SB Nitty Gritty thru April 24 2016.pdf

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/usa-todaynfca-coaches

Good post, Spock, and you made some very good points in respect to the way RPI is calculated and OU's chances of jumping Michigan or Florida in the RPI standings.

The one thing on which I can't agree is your belief that playing in the Big 12 "hurts OU's RPI big time." The facts say otherwise. Only two teams in all of softball have RPIs better than our Sooners. And those teams' RPI is obviously better because both teams have better overall records than OU and more wins over Top 50 teams.

In reality OU's RPI has in no way suffered from the Sooners playing in the Big 12. That is partly because Patty plays a strong out-of-conference schedule and wins a majority of those games, and partly due to OU's history and tradition, which allow the Sooners to start the season with better numbers (ranking and RPI) than many other deserving teams. The same thing applies to all those highly rated SEC teams. Those teams start the season with the top rankings/RPI, which they are able to maintain throughout the season because they are constantly playing teams whose rankings and RPI are also artificially inflated.

Good post, Spock, and you made some very good points in respect to the way RPI is calculated and OU's chances of jumping Michigan or Florida in the RPI standings.

The one thing on which I can't agree is your belief that playing in the Big 12 "hurts OU's RPI big time." The facts say otherwise. Only two teams in all of softball have RPIs better than our Sooners. And those teams' RPI is obviously better because both teams have better overall records than OU and more wins over Top 50 teams.

In reality OU's RPI has in no way suffered from the Sooners playing in the Big 12. That is partly because Patty plays a strong out-of-conference schedule and wins a majority of those games, and partly due to OU's history and tradition, which allow the Sooners to start the season with better numbers (ranking and RPI) than many other deserving teams. The same thing applies to all those highly rated SEC teams. Those teams start the season with the top rankings/RPI, which they are able to maintain throughout the season because they are constantly playing teams whose rankings and RPI are also artificially inflated.

Let us agree to disagree. OU playing in the Big 12 where about half of their schedule is against Big 12 opponents a few also ran non-conference opponents that play low strength of schedules and their opponents low strength of schedule definitely negatively impacts OU's RPI ranking.

Alabama for example only played top 25 ranked non-conference opponents in James Madison, Arizona and OU. Auburn played only James Madison and Florida State. This allows them to virtually assure themselves of no losses in non-conference games but no more than one loss. Hence maintaining or increasing their high RPI for being a SEC school prior to conference play.

OU on the otherhand must load up their non-conference schedule with highly ranked opponents early to get the required strength of schedule and often have their RPI fall because of several earlylosses (6 this year). Initially they are hurt in the RPI ranking by these numerous losses.

Moreover, once the conference season starts OU starts to recover because of the weak B12 schedule and SEC schools falter somewhat because of conference losses. However the conference schedule continues to work to SEC schools favor in that they are playing their strongest schedule top 25 wins late in the season preparing them for post season play.

OU's conference season works just the opposite we are facing weaker opponents toward seasons end and not being pushed to prepare for post season at the same level SEC schools are pushed.

I think playing in the B12 is a definite disadvantage to preparing for post season play and achieving the highest RPI. Where I think it works to our advantage is generally winning the conference and being guaranteed to host a regional. I also think it is probably slightly easier to host a super regional as B12 champions then it is to finish in the top 3-4 of the SEC that is necessary to be eligible to host a super regional. Although last year the SEC hosted 7 regionals and 5 super regionals.

Fortunately Patty knows how to overcome the burden of the B12 strength of schedule and prepare her team as best she can for post season play. Few if any could be as successful as she is in her circumstances. Props to Patty.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/w-softbl/sched/alab-w-softbl-sched.html

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/sched/aub-w-softbl-sched.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Division_I_Softball_Tournament

Last edited:
Let us agree to disagree. OU playing in the Big 12 where about half of their schedule is against Big 12 opponents a few also ran non-conference opponents that play low strength of schedules and their opponents low strength of schedule definitely negatively impacts OU's RPI ranking.

Alabama for example only played top 25 ranked non-conference opponents in James Madison, Arizona and OU. Auburn played only James Madison and Florida State. This allows them to virtually assure themselves of no losses in non-conference games but no more than one loss. Hence maintaining or increasing their high RPI for being a SEC school prior to conference play.

OU on the otherhand must load up their non-conference schedule with highly ranked opponents early to get the required strength of schedule and often have their RPI fall because of several earlylosses (6 this year). Initially they are hurt in the RPI ranking by these numerous losses.

Moreover, once the conference season starts OU starts to recover because of the weak B12 schedule and SEC schools falter somewhat because of conference losses. However the conference schedule continues to work to SEC schools favor in that they are playing their strongest schedule top 25 wins late in the season preparing them for post season play.

OU's conference season works just the opposite we are facing weaker opponents toward seasons end and not being pushed to prepare for post season at the same level SEC schools are pushed.

I think playing in the B12 is a definite disadvantage to preparing for post season play and achieving the highest RPI. Where I think it works to our advantage is generally winning the conference and being guaranteed to host a regional. I also think it is probably slightly easier to host a super regional as B12 champions then it is to finish in the top 3-4 of the SEC that is necessary to be eligible to host a super regional. Although last year the SEC hosted 7 regionals and 5 super regionals.

Fortunately Patty knows how to overcome the burden of the B12 strength of schedule and prepare her team as best she can for post season play. Few if any could be as successful as she is in her circumstances. Props to Patty.

http://www.rolltide.com/sports/w-softbl/sched/alab-w-softbl-sched.html

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/sched/aub-w-softbl-sched.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_NCAA_Division_I_Softball_Tournament

We actually seem to "agree to agree" on most points, Spock. :ez-laugh:

But I must admit I'm at a loss to understand your contention that playing in the Big 12 hurts OU's RPI rating. OU's RPI currently is third best in the nation, and it reached that lofty spot with OU playing – you got it – in the Big 12 Conference.

OU's RPI dropped (and rightfully so) when the Sooners lost a few games early in the season to Top 20 opponents. However, OU eventually righted the ship and started winning on a regular basis. A win over mighty Alabama obviously gave the Sooners a boost, but OU's meteoric rise to No. 3 in the national RPI occurred when the Sooners swept three-game series against Baylor and Texas on successive weekends. Both of those are Big 12 opponents, as you well know. So, tell me again exactly how it was harmful to OU's RPI by playing (and beating) teams in the Big 12?

I do agree that OU's RPI would fall if they were losing those games to Big 12 foes. However, I believe the same holds true for teams in every other conference, with the exception of the SEC. Teams outside the SEC lose conference games and their ranking/RPI drops. SEC teams lose conference games and their ranking/RPI remains high – because, as everyone knows, it's never a shame to lose a game to a SEC foe. This is exactly the same type of thinking that virtually guarantees the SEC has multiple football teams ranked in the Top 10 throughout the football season.

Also, I don't believe SEC teams should be rewarded for playing and beating weak/unranked teams in nonconference play. Why, for example, should a SEC team's RPI jump up a spot or two when they defeat N.E. Podunk State at home, but a Big 12 team's RPI fall after a narrow loss on the road to a Top 10 team?

Those are some of the reasons that I believe the softball rankings and RPI are more subjective than objective and in most cases favor schools in high population areas of the country. On the other hand, I believe that the OU softball program is strong enough to overcome the bias that gives certain schools/conferences a distinct advantage.

OU and ISU will play a doubleheader on Fri at 2 and one game Saturday at noon.

I think it is true that the Big Twelve does not help OU. I am not yet certain of he validity of the rpi and would like to know the starting point. One thing that concerns me is the scheduling. Let's look at LSU, for example. LSU is #15 in the rpi.

1. Tiger Classic: five games in Baton Rouge
2. Mary Nutter: five games in Cathedral City, CA (their only venture outside of Baton Rouge in the preseason.
3. South Alabama: at Baton Rouge
4. Purple and Gold Challenge: four games in Baton Rouge
5. Louisiana Monroe: at Baton Rouge
6. LSU Invitational: five games in Baton Rouge
7. Longwood: at Baton Rouge for two

LSU now started conference play. At this time, they had played 18 games in Baton Rouge and five in California. They were 21-2, having lost to Arizona in California and Pacific in Baton Rouge. They had only played about four games against top fifty opponents. How does playing at home against rather weak competition merit a strong rpi? Now, they are 5-7 at home against SEC, and 5-4 on the road.

Similarly, Auburn has played six games outside of Auburn, all in Florida. James Madison and DePaul were the only teams in the top fifty that they played in the preseason.

South Carolina has played five games in Santa Barbara and four in Tampa, the remainder in Columbia. Only one game was against top fifty (Michigan) competition. How did these teams merit a high rpi?

I would be a lot more certain if I thought there wasn't some starting place that gives them an advantage. I hate to think of OU's rpi if we had played only weak teams in Norman.

We actually seem to "agree to agree" on most points, Spock. :ez-laugh:

But I must admit I'm at a loss to understand your contention that playing in the Big 12 hurts OU's RPI rating. OU's RPI currently is third best in the nation, and it reached that lofty spot with OU playing – you got it – in the Big 12 Conference.

OU's RPI dropped (and rightfully so) when the Sooners lost a few games early in the season to Top 20 opponents. However, OU eventually righted the ship and started winning on a regular basis. A win over mighty Alabama obviously gave the Sooners a boost, but OU's meteoric rise to No. 3 in the national RPI occurred when the Sooners swept three-game series against Baylor and Texas on successive weekends. Both of those are Big 12 opponents, as you well know. So, tell me again exactly how it was harmful to OU's RPI by playing (and beating) teams in the Big 12?

I do agree that OU's RPI would fall if they were losing those games to Big 12 foes. However, I believe the same holds true for teams in every other conference, with the exception of the SEC. Teams outside the SEC lose conference games and their ranking/RPI drops. SEC teams lose conference games and their ranking/RPI remains high – because, as everyone knows, it's never a shame to lose a game to a SEC foe. This is exactly the same type of thinking that virtually guarantees the SEC has multiple football teams ranked in the Top 10 throughout the football season.

Also, I don't believe SEC teams should be rewarded for playing and beating weak/unranked teams in nonconference play. Why, for example, should a SEC team's RPI jump up a spot or two when they defeat N.E. Podunk State at home, but a Big 12 team's RPI fall after a narrow loss on the road to a Top 10 team?

Those are some of the reasons that I believe the softball rankings and RPI are more subjective than objective and in most cases favor schools in high population areas of the country. On the other hand, I believe that the OU softball program is strong enough to overcome the bias that gives certain schools/conferences a distinct advantage.

Perhaps I can illustrate it another way by saying playing in the SEC is a big advantage. To me I am also saying playing in the third best conference is a disadvantage. Not unlike football OU playing in the third best conference is a disadvantage compared to playing in the SEC when it comes CFP time.

For example Alabama is 13-6 in SEC play. OU is 9-1. Were OU to be 7-3 in the conference (same winning %) we would not be ranked in the top 10. Likewise Baylor is ranked #14 in RPI with a 10-4 conference record. LSU is ranked #15 in RPI with a 10-11 conference record. Were the Bears 6-8 in conference play they would not be ranked in the top 30.

It is simple strength of schedule of Big 12 is not a strong as two other conferences and two of the factors in determining RPI are strength of schedule of our opponents and our opponents opponents (Big 12 team) strength of schedule.

Having to win all of you conference games or lose no more than 1 maybe 2 to be considered for hosting a super regional when in 2015 Florida had 6 conference losses, Auburn 8 losses, Alabama 9 losses, Tennessee 12 losses and LSU 12 losses hosted super regionals is tough to do. Had OU lost 5 conference games last year instead of 2 we would have probably had to go on the road for our regional series because we were ranked only #12 in the final RPI (behind 6 SEC teams) with the losses listed above. Had we lost 3 more conference games 3 more SEC teams would have jumped us in the RPI.

For certain you cannot win only 59% of your conference games on the Big 12 and have any hope of hosting a regional much less a super regional. No big deal just playing in the Big 12 leaves no room for error if you want to host all your post season games before the WCWS.

I get what you (SoonerSpock) are saying, and I think we basically agree and are saying almost the same things.

We differ in that you believe the Big 12 is a crappy conference and is therefore holding OU back and keeping the Sooners from enjoying the success and glory that's available to teams in the SEC. While I agree that the Big 12 is the weaker conference, I have seen absolutely no evidence that OU's membership in the Big 12 has adversely affected its ranking, its RPI, its recruiting, or its ability to perform on a level that's equal to, or better than, any program in the country.

Your argument that being a member of the Big 12 somehow holds OU's RPI down would be easier to defend if the Sooners did not currently have the third-highest RPI in college softball.

I get what you (SoonerSpock) are saying, and I think we basically agree and are saying almost the same things.

We differ in that you believe the Big 12 is a crappy conference and is therefore holding OU back and keeping the Sooners from enjoying the success and glory that's available to teams in the SEC. While I agree that the Big 12 is the weaker conference, I have seen absolutely no evidence that OU's membership in the Big 12 has adversely affected its ranking, its RPI, its recruiting, or its ability to perform on a level that's equal to, or better than, any program in the country.

Your argument that being a member of the Big 12 somehow holds OU's RPI down would be easier to defend if the Sooners did not currently have the third-highest RPI in college softball.

I never said the Big 12 is a crappy conference and is holding OU back. What I said is playing in the Big 12 conference has a negative impact on OU's RPI because of the weakness of those B12 opponents strength of schedule both as an opponent of OU and as an opponent of each other. This RPI impact makes it more difficult to host specifically super regional games. Furthermore I stated multiple times that Patty has learned how to work around this RPI obstacle by scheduling a very difficult early non-conference schedule which makes her room for error minimal.

Combine many weak conference games with a necessary difficult non-conference schedule and you can lose only a very few number of games and while being outstanding against the top 25 in order to host a super regional. Playing in either the Pac 12 allows you to lose more games and play a weaker non-conference schedule and still playing the post season games in your home park. Nothing more and nothing less.

I will say it, the Big 12 is an absolutely crappy conference when it comes to softball. When it lost Missouri, A&M, and Nebraska, it went from outstanding to crappy. There are only seven teams without a conference tournament. The SEC schools are going to gain massively in RPI just from playing their tournament. Besides OU and Baylor, the Big 12 is really really weak. I believe realignment hurt Big 12 Softball more than any other sport.

The only reason OU's RPI is strong is playing a extremely difficult schedule in February and early March in non-conference games. They managed to get games in this year but is it really fragile year to year. Last year was rain out city - OU was 45-7 in the regular season and ranked 5th and 6th in the polls with a #13 RPI and ended up with an #11 seed. That is all Big 12 Conference. It ended with that trip to Alabama against a team with 11 losses that was a #6 seed. That was all about a weak Big 12.

Last edited:
Step away from the ledge, guys; I fully agree that the Big 12 – in its current configuration – is a crappy conference.

What I don't agree with, and what none of you have provided an ounce of evidence to support, is that the Big 12 is somehow having an adverse effect on OU's RPI this season. If you want to make the argument that being a member of a weak Big 12 hurt the Sooners' RPI last season, your position would be at least defensible, even though there were other factors at play.

But to argue that being a member of the Big 12 has been detrimental to OU's RPI this season, while the Sooners' RPI is No. 3 in the land…well, it's just ludicrous.

Back