Softball

The April 17 adjusted RPI rankings linked give a much better insight as to what it measured in determing RPI (link below). OU's winning percentage against teams ranked 26-50 (8th among Top Ten) and against the Top 100 (7th) appears to be our biggest detriment to date. The losses to Cal Fullerton, Oregon State and Kansas were tough losses. Ditto two losses to Minnesota (#22).

We can ill afford to lose to OSU, Tulsa (if made up), Tech or ISU. I now think we might afford a loss to Tennessee (#13)and stay in the Top 8 as Bama lost to #16 aTm last week and moved up two spots to #4 in the RPI. Also the Big 12 being ranked the #3 conference doesn't help either.

https://rpiarchive.ncaa.org/Stats Library/SB Nitty Gritty thru April 17 2016.pdf

The April 17 adjusted RPI rankings linked give a much better insight as to what it measured in determing RPI (link below). OU's winning percentage against teams ranked 26-50 (8th among Top Ten) and against the Top 100 (7th) appears to be our biggest detriment to date. The losses to Cal Fullerton, Oregon State and Kansas were tough losses. Ditto two losses to Minnesota (#22).

We can ill afford to lose to OSU, Tulsa (if made up), Tech or ISU. I now think we might afford a loss to Tennessee (#13)and stay in the Top 8 as Bama lost to #16 aTm last week and moved up two spots to #4 in the RPI. Also the Big 12 being ranked the #3 conference doesn't help either.

https://rpiarchive.ncaa.org/Stats Library/SB Nitty Gritty thru April 17 2016.pdf

Unfortunately, the Big 12 has harmed softball almost to the point of no return. There are only seven teams and several are really bad. Losing Missouri, A&M and Nebraska was really damaging. Gaining two schools without softball in TCU and WVU didn't help either.

One thing for sure the team is really playing well. The team has won 10 in a row, 17 out of the last 18, 27 out of the last 30. This is after starting 8-4.

Current RPI for remaining schedule:

Lipscombe - #105
Tennessee - #12
ULM - #159
Iowa State - #171
Texas Tech - #70
OSU - #38

Tulsa - #39 if made up.

Iowa State is not going to help anything.

No, evidently Sydney was held out as a precaution so they let Paige hit. However, I saw Sydney laughing in the dugout so hopefully that is a good sign. Not a great game and Gasso said so in the post game interview. On to Knoxville for the big game on Saturday.

Yep, although we won, Patty wasn't happy! She said it would be taken care of! :)

I expect to see a completely different team Saturday at Knoxville. Sometimes, teams will play up – or down – to their level of competition. Not saying they should do that, but often even good teams do. The Lady Vols are tough, especially at home, but I think our Sooners will beat them if we perform up to our ability.

While it's true the Sooners didn't hit well in clutch situations against Arkansas, the OU hitters consistently hit screamers – either line drives or very hard grounders. Unfortunately, and almost without fail, those ball were hit right at someone.

I respectfully disagree with the poster who was critical of Paige. She actually pitched a masterful game; she kept the Arkansas hitters off balance the entire game. It's unreasonable to expect her to throw a no-hitter and strike out 15 batters every game. Does she sometimes get a little tired late in games? Probably. And when that happens, she's obviously not as dominant. Patty doesn't want to burn Paige out, so she'll continue to use Kelsey and/or the two freshmen whenever possible.

So, let's hear some thoughts on OU at Tennessee.

As for me, I'm hopeful Romero is back in the lineup today; for my money she will be every bit as good and as great a Sooner as Chamberlain and Shelby Pendley, though she's a different type of player.

I'm also hoping Paige has had sufficient rest since Tuesday that she will be her usual sharp self.

The Lady Vols are bigtime, no doubt, and will be tough to beat playing in front of what's sure to be a big/loud crowd. But the Sooners are every bit Tennessee's equal in talent and tradition. Looking forward to a great game. If we win this one, we'll get to the postseason in great shape to host both a regional and super regional.

up 4, top of the third, two out, Fale batting....great start, hope we keep it
up

Is there a rule against wearing sunglasses when you play in the outfield in softball? I don't recall ever seeing the players wearing them.

Is there a rule against wearing sunglasses when you play in the outfield in softball? I don't recall ever seeing the players wearing them.

I think I have seen them worn. I am not sure why it would not be allowed since they allow regular glasses, so it wouldn't be a safety issue.

Let's just say, Patty got their attention after game against Arkie! What a performance against a very good team on the road!

I did not see a 9-0 win coming. I thought maybe a 3-2 win, hopefully. But, we had several hit the ball hard today. Miller hit it hard all four at bats. Romero, Knighten, Clifton, Aviu, and Wodach each had a hard hit ball that drove in a run. Weren't each with two outs? Then, Pendley hit her home run----does she only hit them when it really counts?

Good game by Paige.

I was most impressed how we laid off of the starter's ace rise ball pitch. Only swung at it twice the first time through the order. Erin Miller missed one leading off the game and Kelsey Arnold struck out on one to end the second inning. Otherwise we forced her to throw something we could hit. Our proverbial nemesis was most definitely not a nemesis today. definitely played to Patty's game plan.

So, how do you like us now? This team is for real. Great win.

I was most impressed how we laid off of the starter's ace rise ball pitch. Only swung at it twice the first time through the order. Erin Miller missed one leading off the game and Kelsey Arnold struck out on one to end the second inning. Otherwise we forced her to throw something we could hit. Our proverbial nemesis was most definitely not a nemesis today. definitely played to Patty's game plan.

A first for me in watching OU for the last 5 years.(^)
Glad to see Wodach get a double. Maybe that gets her out of a slump.
Finally we get some timely hitting. Not too many left on base compared to the last few games.
Paige looked very strong through 6 and good in the 7th. Looks like the rest was good for her.

Back