Softball

We didn't have a stellar week this past week. But, we won. With the exception of Louisiana-Lafayette who lost three to Florida, the teams ahead of us in the rpi also won. Bama lost one. I doubt that Lafayette can remain ahead of us after three losses.

With the exception of Auburn, none of the teams behind us stood out. Auburn killed Arkansas with three run-ruled games, something like 22-1, 23-1, and 10-1. But, quite a number of teams just behind us had some rough weeks. Georgia lost two to Tennessee with another to play tomorrow. Missouri lost two of three at Kentucky, which is no disgrace. LSU lost yet another. UCLA and Oregon State split. Minnesota was beaten twice by Wisconsin. Baylor lost to both Houston and Oklahoma State. Just by winning, we aren't losing any ground.

Tennessee will be a test. They are 17-0 at home and have a major winning streak going. They don't lose in Knoxville.

Yeah, and you can bet Tenn will be ready after us beating them in finals and then again the next year in SuperRegionals. They are really playing well now.

Tulsa will not be pushover either. They shut out whorns in Austin twice earlier in the season.

I understand what you guys are saying, but winning every one of your games does qualify as a stellar week.

Have we looked totally dominant in every game? No; but you've got to realize the teams we've beaten are not exactly chopped liver. I'll take the win every time; keep the stellar in the back pocket for a time when it's really needed.

On Paige's recent performances: I have a feeling she was worn down by pitching 22 straight innings on three consecutive days at Waco. She's continued to be effective, but has not been overpowering since her performance at BU. That's why I'm so glad to see Stevens back in the circle in back-to-back games against UT. She was effective both games; you could even call her performance on Sunday "dominating." Her control seems to be getting a little better with each outing. If that trend continues, we'll be guaranteed of having a much more well-rested Parker and be in better shape for postseason play.

I was also encouraged by Chestnut's performance Saturday night.

I understand what you guys are saying, but winning every one of your games does qualify as a stellar week.

Have we looked totally dominant in every game? No; but you've got to realize the teams we've beaten are not exactly chopped liver. I'll take the win every time; keep the stellar in the back pocket for a time when it's really needed.

On Paige's recent performances: I have a feeling she was worn down by pitching 22 straight innings on three consecutive days at Waco. She's continued to be effective, but has not been overpowering since her performance at BU. That's why I'm so glad to see Stevens back in the circle in back-to-back games against UT. She was effective both games; you could even call her performance on Sunday "dominating." Her control seems to be getting a little better with each outing. If that trend continues, we'll be guaranteed of having a much more well-rested Parker and be in better shape for postseason play.

I was also encouraged by Chestnut's performance Saturday night.

I totally agree! So glad for Kelsey! It's had to have been a difficult last year for her. Also, very glad Patty hasn't given up on Kelsey! She could have and many coaches would have. We need Kelsey, and the rest of the pitching staff, to make a strong push in post season and the more consistent they become, the better our chances for getting back to OKC becomes!

rpi April 18
1. Florida
2. Michigan
3. OKLAHOMA
4. Alabama
5. Auburn
6. Washington
7. Louisiana-Lafayette
8. James Madison
9. Oregon
10.Florida State

13,Tennessee
17. Baylor
36. Oklahoma State
37. Tulsa
38. Texas

Thanks, syb. I was about to check to see if the new RPI was out. You saved me the trouble.

Wow. I was expecting our Sooners to have a substantial jump in RPI this week, but I never imagined we'd shoot all the way up to No. 3.

Where do you all think we'll be ranked tomorrow when the weekly rankings are revealed. I'm guessing we'll jump to No. 6, or thereabouts. What say?

With the exception of tennessee in knoxville we "should" win the rest of our games. ISU and tech(at home) 3 times, osu twice, tulsa and arkansas. Arkansas not very good based on auburn results. Good tulsa team but we should win- fair chance thats a rain out. Keep up the good work ladies.
Then we can dispose yet again of aTm in the Norman regional and have a super regional at home

The game tonight against Tulsa is cancelled due to the rain. A makeup game is possible, however. Arkansas game is tomorrow night.

The game tonight against Tulsa is cancelled due to the rain. A makeup game is possible, however. Arkansas game is tomorrow night.

Yes, that game will be televised on the SEC Network.

Wonder how those homer SEC commentators will handle us kicking the Hoglets? Will they scream "SEC, SEC, SEC" each time we go deep on them? :ez-laugh:

Remember last year, OU was in the Top 5 to end the season but #11 in the RPI and ended up seeded #11. The RPI carries a lot more weight in tournament seeding than the rankings.

I concur that RPI carries more weight than either the ESPN or USA rankings but to me it was a little surprising that Lafayette stayed above OU as badly as they were routed by the Gators in their 3 games. Winning in Knoxville could be critical to staying in the top 8 RPI but who knows the way Lafayette held USA/ESPN their ranking.

Last edited:
So, is tonight's game at Arkansas still on? I hope so. Our freshmen/sophomores need as much experience as they can get, what with the postseason looming in the near future.

No one can deny that OU has one of the most talented freshman classes in the country (probably the most talented). But young players are still more prone to make mistakes than upperclassmen, so every inning they field their positions and run the bases will make them just that much better.

I've noticed, and the ESPN crew mentioned last weekend, that our young infielders didn't always communicate with each other and therefore didn't always know who was responsible for taking a throw or covering a base. I'm sure Patty works on those issues with them, but repetition is the best way for them to improve those skills.

So, is tonight's game at Arkansas still on? I hope so. Our freshmen/sophomores need as much experience as they can get, what with the postseason looming in the near future.

No one can deny that OU has one of the most talented freshman classes in the country (probably the most talented). But young players are still more prone to make mistakes than upperclassmen, so every inning they field their positions and run the bases will make them just that much better.

I've noticed, and the ESPN crew mentioned last weekend, that our young infielders didn't always communicate with each other and therefore didn't always know who was responsible for taking a throw or covering a base. I'm sure Patty works on those issues with them, but repetition is the best way for them to improve those skills.

Yet that young infield plays on the teamis #2 in the nation in Fielding Pct.

Heads up, Sydney Romero is not in the lineup tonight.

I thought Fale would be dp for Paige not Macey. Are they trying to work Paige back into the batting order? Any word on how well she has healed?

Last edited:
I thought Fale would be dp for Paige not Macey. Are they trying to work Paige back into the batting order? Any word on how well she has healed?

No, evidently Sydney was held out as a precaution so they let Paige hit. However, I saw Sydney laughing in the dugout so hopefully that is a good sign. Not a great game and Gasso said so in the post game interview. On to Knoxville for the big game on Saturday.

I still dont think Paige is as sharp as I would like. Her last innings she gets behind the hitters, and looks to be visibly trying. During the game she throws too many pitches in the dirt and usually hits a couple of batters and throws a couple of wild pitches. You can tell what is going to happen when we have the bases loaded and usually when we have two on. Our clutch hitting is abysmal.
What's wrong with Romero? Held out as precaution from what?
Good win but I hold my breath when we have only a two run lead. Three helps.

j2d2;550299[B said:
]I still don't think Paige is as sharp as I would like. Her last innings she gets behind the hitters, and looks to be visibly trying.[/B] During the game she throws too many pitches in the dirt and usually hits a couple of batters and throws a couple of wild pitches. You can tell what is going to happen when we have the bases loaded and usually when we have two on. Our clutch hitting is abysmal.
What's wrong with Romero? Held out as precaution from what?
Good win but I hold my breath when we have only a two run lead. Three helps.

Injury and sophomore slump?? Whatever, I just hope they are all up for the game against Tenn.

Back