Softball

Looking over the latest rankings/RPI, I have a hard time wrapping my mind around the disparity between some teams' ranking and their RPI. Mighty Bama, for example, is very popular with the voters (No. 4 in both polls and voted No. 1 on multiple ballots). But the Tide's RPI is several slots lower, at #8. If RPI is as hugely important this season as it was last year, the Tide is teetering on the edge of failing to secure a Super Regional site. The same thing that happened to us last year.

OU, on the other hand, is ranked 9th in one poll and 12th in the other. But our RPI is 7, which would seemingly qualify the Sooners for a Super Regional if the season ended today (assuming, of course, that we win our regional).

Comments?
I wonder how much the rest of the schedule will affect the polls and rpi? Is it possible that the voters in the polls are influenced heavily by the fact that Bama took two of three from Florida? Did they pay any attention to OU's win over Bama?

I find it interesting that Baylor was rated above OU in the rpi, despite not really having played that tough of a schedule. This past weekend should have dropped Baylor probably more than it did.

Today's opponent, North Texas, is only #100. Texas is about #37. Yet, North Texas took two of three from Baylor in Waco, while Texas lost both of its games to Baylor. Texas has played only five games outside the State of Texas, taking two of three from Hawaii and splitting with Iowa in Hawaii. The rest of their schedule has been in rather friendly confines. Will they drop when they play stronger opponents and out of Austin?

I wonder how much the rest of the schedule will affect the polls and rpi? Is it possible that the voters in the polls are influenced heavily by the fact that Bama took two of three from Florida? Did they pay any attention to OU's win over Bama?

I find it interesting that Baylor was rated above OU in the rpi, despite not really having played that tough of a schedule. This past weekend should have dropped Baylor probably more than it did.

Today's opponent, North Texas, is only #100. Texas is about #37. Yet, North Texas took two of three from Baylor in Waco, while Texas lost both of its games to Baylor. Texas has played only five games outside the State of Texas, taking two of three from Hawaii and splitting with Iowa in Hawaii. The rest of their schedule has been in rather friendly confines. Will they drop when they play stronger opponents and out of Austin?

In reality, syb, I think what wields the most influence with voters is the name (Alabama, Florida, etc.) stitched across the front of a team's jerseys. And you make some very interesting points regarding rankings and RPI. How, indeed, was it that Baylor had a better RPI than OU (before we swept them)? And what about the disparity between UT's and North Texas' RPI? I actually believe the RPI tends to be about as subjective as the rankings. Maybe I'd understand RPI better if someone explained to me how it is determined.

In any case, it seems pretty clear that our Sooners have positioned themselves well for a good postseason run if they continue to win. We should be favored to win most of our remaining conference games. And a win at Tennessee would be a huge factor in our quest to host a Super Regional.

If you didn't see the Baylor/OU series, FOX has been showing Wichita at OU, OU at Baylor (1)(just now finishing), and OU at Baylor (2) as a lead-in to the game tonight. It is UVerse 648 in Dallas.

North Texas 1
Oklahoma 6

That's the good news. Trailing 1-0, OU scored all six runs in the fifth with nobody out. No real big hits. Self came close to a grand slam, but it bounced off the wall. Everyone tagged up, and, as a result, only moved up one base each.

Stevens started, As has become the custom, she lasted two innings before loading the bases with nobody out. NT scored only one run on a sac fly after Chestnut relieved Stevens. Paige pitched the final three innings and got the win.

Thought the Sooners' performance against N. Texas was somewhat lackluster, but I guess that was to be expected after the huge, three-game sweep over BU. A win is a win; I'll take it and be happy with it. And the wins must keep coming if we want to host a regional – and more important – a Super Regional.

By the way, I thought Stevens was actually pretty good last night in the circle. When she got in trouble and coach pulled her, it wasn't because she completely lost it and started walking every batter. Her control was much better than it's been most of the time in the last two seasons.

I certainly have no problem with Gasso removing her when she did, though. We needed the win and couldn't afford to take any chances considering Kelsey's fragile psyche and her tendency to fall apart in critical situations.

Thought the Sooners' performance against N. Texas was somewhat lackluster, but I guess that was to be expected after the huge, three-game sweep over BU. A win is a win; I'll take it and be happy with it. And the wins must keep coming if we want to host a regional – and more important – a Super Regional.

By the way, I thought Stevens was actually pretty good last night in the circle. When she got in trouble and coach pulled her, it wasn't because she completely lost it and started walking every batter. Her control was much better than it's been most of the time in the last two seasons.

I certainly have no problem with Gasso removing her when she did, though. We needed the win and couldn't afford to take any chances considering Kelsey's fragile psyche and her tendency to fall apart in critical situations.

If OU had given North Texas a 5-0 lead, it might have been almost impossible to rally. North Texas had beaten Baylor twice this year as well. Jayden Chestnut pitched well - no hits and no walks.

If OU had given North Texas a 5-0 lead, it might have been almost impossible to rally. North Texas had beaten Baylor twice this year as well. Jayden Chestnut pitched well - no hits and no walks.

Do you think it's likely that Finney will transfer?

I doubt that Finney will transfer. This year is an exception as to how many freshmen are making a difference for the team. When Kady Self was a freshman she was used as a base runner. During her sophomore year she came in late one game when OU had a big lead she was allowed to come bat and she hit a home run and the same thing happened the second time she ever came to bat. I think that Finney doesn't get much opportunity because she has some mechanics to adjust as Chestnut still needs to. They both have the potential to be quality D1 pitchers.

Finney has good velocity and strikeout numbers. She just needs to cut her walks by over half. This year she has 13.1 IP, 13/10 K/BB. With Stevens gone next year, she should pickup more innings. Patty might use the pitchers slightly different if she has 3 she can count on.

I'm also curious to see Kylie Lundberg. I noticed that she was on deck when the bottom of the 6th ended on Wednesday.

Caleigh has essentially squeezed Fale Aviu out of the starting lineup. She pushed Shay to 1B and Kady to LF, taking away an outfield spot.

At the start of the year, I believe the outfield was mostly Wodach/Pendley/Aviu with Miller at DP. Wodach moved to catcher, Self moved to LF and Miller started playing in the field with Aviu sometimes the DP now. Nirschl has deservedly been getting more starts at DP lately.

I'm somewhat expecting to see Aviu back out in the field with either Self, Miller, or Knighten as the DP. Aviu looks to be over her slump and appears to provide us with a better defensive outfield.

An embarrassment of riches might be a good way to describe our freshman class. I would bet there's no other program in the country that can put as many freshmen on the field who are capable of not just contributing, but truly excelling day in and day out.

If our young pitchers can catch up with our everyday players in terms of development, the sky is the limit for this team now and for the next few years.

Gotta love what Coach Gasso is building at OU.

An embarrassment of riches might be a good way to describe our freshman class. I would bet there's no other program in the country that can put as many freshmen on the field who are capable of not just contributing, but truly excelling day in and day out.

If our young pitchers can catch up with our everyday players in terms of development, the sky is the limit for this team now and for the next few years.

Gotta love what Coach Gasso is building at OU.

:woot

SMH! Can't stand prosperity. Grand slam by whorns in 4th. Now 6-6 with 2 outs! Patty has to be pulling her hair out!

9-8 win. Not a good game, especially in clutch situations. Texas got key hits. We didn't. We wasted a lot of runners. Paige was weak at times.

OSU beat baylor.

Back