Softball

Just know the lining up on the baseline in front of the Sooners was not appreciated by the umpire who told that they could not do it. This brought out their coach Moore and he was written again by the umpires. He was not a happy man this weekend. Yes, he did orchestrate it.

A scum bucket hypocritical institution! From the top all the way down! Big 12's biggest mistake was allowing that group into Big 12. They provide absolutely NO television market share (along with mistake #2, TCU) to add to the conferences revenue. They are hypocritical leeches! :(

Well. We knew what Baylor was. I am more interested in what we learned this weekend. Baylor was the #10 ranked (rpi) team. We were #12. I think there may be some changes. We swept the #10 team at their house. I think the announcers said that it was the first time since their program was reinstated in 1996 that they had been swept at home.

What I found most interesting is how many people were involved in the sweep.

RF Miller got a two-run home run to give OU a 3-0 lead in the first game.

3B Romero got OU's first run of the series on a solo home run. She also got the first run of today's game with a double in the first, later scoring on Clifton's single.

1B Knighten had OU's only three hits prior to the eighth yesterday, and reached on an error, scoring ahead of Self. They really didn't want any part of Knighten today, hitting her and walking her prior to scoring in the first.

LF Self got the one hit that mattered yesterday, a grand slam. Had a rather bad error today. But, she's usually flawless.

2B Caleigh's defense was evident several times in the series. She made some very difficult catches. She also drove in the first run today and scored the sixth run after being hit. She seems to get hit a lot.

DP Aviu and Nirschl. Nirschl had the two-run shot that silenced Baylor at 5-0 in the first game. Aviu got the liner back up the middle to start the four run rally yesterday while pinch-hitting. Then, she had the key double that drove in the insurance run and allowed her to score the seventh run today.

C Wodach hit the ball harder consistently than anyone else on the team. It's just that they always seemed to be right at someone. Zero hits off of what should have been about six.

1B Pendley finally pulled the ball, fortunately. Her three run shot got us back the lead. Then, she drove in Aviu with the seventh (an insurance run) in the seventh. Four rbis today.

SS Arnold had fits with Stearns, striking out four of six times she faced her. Then, she had two lead off singles today, but nobody advanced her. Good defensive weekend.

We had key at bats by everyone in the lineup. At one time or another, everyone contributed to the scoring. It wasn't one or two big bats. They can't relax when they get past the top of the lineup.

I think we can hit well enough to be in the World Series and maybe win. BUT. We need for Finney or Chestnut to be able to give Paige some time off. I noticed that when Paige struggled early, it was Finney in the bullpen today. In a key game, we might have had Finney? Interesting.

The announcer said that Paige wasn't showing Baylor everything since Baylor would meet them again. Not likely. There is no Big Twelve tournament this year (begins next year), and I don't think Baylor has the hitting to make it to the World Series. Stearns is really good. But, she would have to have a really spectacular regional and Super-regional for them to make it to the Series. Other major teams can hit.

Stearns' seemed to have a pattern: first ball was a strike, then two balls out of the zone but close, then a strike, then nibble at the corners usually outside corners(up or down). She really tried to throw that first strike then try to get hitters to go after bad pitches.

It was the first time for a 3 game sweep at Baylor. The Big 12 played two game series until the four school departure. OU swept Baylor in 2010 in a two game series.

As for Stearns, her biggest problem is that she does not have off speed stuff to keep people off balance. She throws hard on every pitch and if you are playing a good hitting team, they make adjustments. She said Friday night that OU changed their spot in the batters box after the first time through the order. She pitched steller on Saturday but threw 140+ pitches so they got her in the 8th.

Well. We knew what Baylor was. I am more interested in what we learned this weekend. Baylor was the #10 ranked (rpi) team. We were #12. I think there may be some changes. We swept the #10 team at their house. I think the announcers said that it was the first time since their program was reinstated in 1996 that they had been swept at home.

What I found most interesting is how many people were involved in the sweep.

RF Miller got a two-run home run to give OU a 3-0 lead in the first game.

3B Romero got OU's first run of the series on a solo home run. She also got the first run of today's game with a double in the first, later scoring on Clifton's single.

1B Knighten had OU's only three hits prior to the eighth yesterday, and reached on an error, scoring ahead of Self. They really didn't want any part of Knighten today, hitting her and walking her prior to scoring in the first.

LF Self got the one hit that mattered yesterday, a grand slam. Had a rather bad error today. But, she's usually flawless.

2B Caleigh's defense was evident several times in the series. She made some very difficult catches. She also drove in the first run today and scored the sixth run after being hit. She seems to get hit a lot.

DP Aviu and Nirschl. Nirschl had the two-run shot that silenced Baylor at 5-0 in the first game. Aviu got the liner back up the middle to start the four run rally yesterday while pinch-hitting. Then, she had the key double that drove in the insurance run and allowed her to score the seventh run today.

C Wodach hit the ball harder consistently than anyone else on the team. It's just that they always seemed to be right at someone. Zero hits off of what should have been about six.

1B Pendley finally pulled the ball, fortunately. Her three run shot got us back the lead. Then, she drove in Aviu with the seventh (an insurance run) in the seventh. Four rbis today.

SS Arnold had fits with Stearns, striking out four of six times she faced her. Then, she had two lead off singles today, but nobody advanced her. Good defensive weekend.

We had key at bats by everyone in the lineup. At one time or another, everyone contributed to the scoring. It wasn't one or two big bats. They can't relax when they get past the top of the lineup.

I think we can hit well enough to be in the World Series and maybe win. BUT. We need for Finney or Chestnut to be able to give Paige some time off. I noticed that when Paige struggled early, it was Finney in the bullpen today. In a key game, we might have had Finney? Interesting.

The announcer said that Paige wasn't showing Baylor everything since Baylor would meet them again. Not likely. There is no Big Twelve tournament this year (begins next year), and I don't think Baylor has the hitting to make it to the World Series. Stearns is really good. But, she would have to have a really spectacular regional and Super-regional for them to make it to the Series. Other major teams can hit.

Finney was rated higher than Paige as a recruit. I believe she was rated #11 in the country. However, I don't think anyone was thinking about pulling Paige on Sunday.

They had to go with Paige this weekend because a sweep was necessary. OU really needs to get in the Top 8 for RPI to prevent being sent to an SEC destination for the Supers.

The one thing about yesterday that was interesting was when Nicole Pendley hit the 3 run shot to retake the lead. It was strange because Gasso has really forced her to be a slapper when she has the same swing as her sister. The last two times up, she crushed the ball and wasn't slapping. I hope they let her swing away more. She broke all of Shelby's HS Hr records at Rio Rancho HS.

I realize I'm probably beating a dead horse, but I'd really like to see Stevens earn Gasso's confidence and make it back into the rotation. I keep hearkening back to two years ago when Kelsey was our workhorse and could be counted on to keep the team in almost every game.

I know it would be a huge gamble to put her back out there against the upper echelon teams of the Big 12, as we need to keep winning to get our RPI to where we need it to be. But if Stevens could conquer her demons and get her control back, our staff would be one of the best in the nation. With the hitting and defense we can put on the field day after day, we'd have to be a favorite to make it back to the WCWS.

I just can't help but believe our freshmen pitchers are not yet ready for the rigors of conference play and beyond.

Finney was rated higher than Paige as a recruit. I believe she was rated #11 in the country. However, I don't think anyone was thinking about pulling Paige on Sunday.

They had to go with Paige this weekend because a sweep was necessary. OU really needs to get in the Top 8 for RPI to prevent being sent to an SEC destination for the Supers.

Do you think this is possible? I'm not sure if we won every game from now on that we could reach the Top 8. This weekend should help us but outside of a trip to Knoxville, we don't see another ranked team this year. And a trip to Tulsa won't be easy either.

Softball may be the sport, after the 4 schools leaving, that hurts us the most with schedule. I just don't see a way to get to Top 8, just like we were penalized last year, unfortunately!

I realize I'm probably beating a dead horse, but I'd really like to see Stevens earn Gasso's confidence and make it back into the rotation. I keep hearkening back to two years ago when Kelsey was our workhorse and could be counted on to keep the team in almost every game.

I know it would be a huge gamble to put her back out there against the upper echelon teams of the Big 12, as we need to keep winning to get our RPI to where we need it to be. But if Stevens could conquer her demons and get her control back, our staff would be one of the best in the nation. With the hitting and defense we can put on the field day after day, we'd have to be a favorite to make it back to the WCWS.

I just can't help but believe our freshmen pitchers are not yet ready for the rigors of conference play and beyond.

Me too! I thought we might see Kelsey yesterday. I read on Transcript online that Patty said goal was to win 2 of 3 when they went to Wacko. After winning the first 2 and Paige wanting to pitch on Sunday, Patty saw a good chance to sweep and went with it. Good decision!

Do you think this is possible? I'm not sure if we won every game from now on that we could reach the Top 8. This weekend should help us but outside of a trip to Knoxville, we don't see another ranked team this year. And a trip to Tulsa won't be easy either.

Softball may be the sport, after the 4 schools leaving, that hurts us the most with schedule. I just don't see a way to get to Top 8, just like we were penalized last year, unfortunately!

You might be right about that, tycat. But by sweeping BU over the weekend, and with losses by some of the teams ahead of us, the door might be open for our RPI to reach the 8-10 range.

Remember, we played a very tough schedule early in the season, and while it's true we lost some of those games, we also won some of them. And don't forget that win over Bama a few weeks ago. If we can continue to win in Big 12 play and get a win at Tennessee, I wouldn't be surprised to see our RPI climb to eighth, maybe higher. I know: a big "if."

Also, if we finish the year with an RPI in the 9 to 12 range, we could still have a shot at hosting a super regional.

The rpi is in a state of flux, and I think we will easily be in the top 8 if we win out, especially if we beat Tennessee at Tennessee. Currently, the rpi isn't going along with conference standings. Bama, e.g., is tied for fifth in the SEC, but is #4 in rpi. Kentucky is third in the SEC and #16 in rpi. UCLA is second in the Pacific Twelve, but only #15 in the rpi.

Currently, there are ten SEC teams in the top 25 rpi, as well as six Pacific Twelve teams. Not all of those SEC teams belong.

We (#12) were rated behind Baylor (#10). I think that the rpi might reflect some change in those ratings.

Note: as a matter of fact, the new rpi ratings are out. OU is #7.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1/ncaa-womens-softball-rpi

Baylor fell to #12.

Teams that OU has played:
#2 Michigan
#3 Washington
#8 Alabama
#12 Baylor
#15 UCLA
#19 Minnesota

#29 Utah
#30 Oregon State
#31 Nebraska
#34 Long Beach State
#41 Oklahoma State
#44 Kansas
#46 BYU

Games left with:
#17 Tennessee
#32 Tulsa
#36 Texas
#48 Texas Tech
#160 Iowa State

We need to win out and hope that will be enough.

It is asking an awful lot to win out. Everybody has a bad game every once in a while. We need the to take them one game at a time. Good things will happen. That Top 8 in the RPI is huge to secure playing the Supers in Norman. However, those SEC teams are going to lose more games.

Big series this week is ULL Rajun Cagins at Florida.

Not just a big risk but a crazy risk. The two freshmen are better than Kelsey and she is NOT going to get it back. However, as sure as I say that Patti will have her pitching against North Texas and OU will have to overcome a 5-0 deficit. It is just too big a risk. I expect Chestnut or Finney to start on Wednesday.

By the way, Paige only threw 88 pitches on Saturday which is why she came out on Sunday.

Last edited:
I don't think Stevens will come back. Patti wants to give her the chance. But, she just doesn't seem to have the capacity to overcome the loss of control when she loses it. She can sail for an inning or two. But, when she loses it, she can't seem to get it back. She is too much of a risk to use against a good team. Curiously, she is just as likely to pitch well against Alabama as against UTA.

Chestnut has one feature that you don't really want. She gives up more hits than innings pitched. She is hittable. With a walk or two, she can give up a lot of runs.

Finney seems to be difficult to hit. She may walk the bases loaded. But, she won't give up the hit to drive them home. Her control is probably more consistent than she is given credit for. She tends to walk one, not three. Stevens can walk four in a row. Chestnut will give up a hit or two with those walks. I think I'd give Finney a shot. If we need a pitcher for the World Series, she is the only one that I think we have. They would hit Chestnut too hard, and Stevens may lose a no-hitter, 4-0.

I don't think Stevens will come back. Patti wants to give her the chance. But, she just doesn't seem to have the capacity to overcome the loss of control when she loses it. She can sail for an inning or two. But, when she loses it, she can't seem to get it back. She is too much of a risk to use against a good team. Curiously, she is just as likely to pitch well against Alabama as against UTA.

Chestnut has one feature that you don't really want. She gives up more hits than innings pitched. She is hittable. With a walk or two, she can give up a lot of runs.

Finney seems to be difficult to hit. She may walk the bases loaded. But, she won't give up the hit to drive them home. Her control is probably more consistent than she is given credit for. She tends to walk one, not three. Stevens can walk four in a row. Chestnut will give up a hit or two with those walks. I think I'd give Finney a shot. If we need a pitcher for the World Series, she is the only one that I think we have. They would hit Chestnut too hard, and Stevens may lose a no-hitter, 4-0.

However, Chestnut is the only one to have pitched against and won against top teams - she beat UCLA and Fresno State. They are number 15 and 21 in the current RPI. She also has the confidence of Gasso who has started her on more occasions than Finney. Don't get me wrong because Finney was higher rated but Gasso has gone the other way more often than not.

However, Chestnut is the only one to have pitched against and won against top teams - she beat UCLA and Fresno State. They are number 15 and 21 in the current RPI. She also has the confidence of Gasso who has started her on more occasions than Finney. Don't get me wrong because Finney was higher rated but Gasso has gone the other way more often than not.
I'm not sure why. I have yet to see Finney since there was some network problems in the only game that she pitched that was televised. They pulled her after two, and the picture came on in the third.

But, no pitcher can survive giving up more hits than innings pitched. Stevens ERA. has gone from about 2.44 in 2014, to 3.40 in 2015, to 4.43. Approximately.

Whatever the future holds for OU – as far as pitching goes – you can bet the rent on one thing: Someone besides Paige will have to step up in order for us to fare well in the postseason.

I know we've got a poster or two who believe a team can breeze through the regular season, regionals, super regionals and on to the CWS with just one Ace carrying the load. But the days when teams could ride one pitcher to a CWS title are over. Paige Parker is a great pitcher, but we all saw the effect pitching three games (22 innings) in three straight days had on Paige. She got through the final three innings Sunday at Waco on sheer determination and will.

We need someone else to help shoulder the load for Paige. And, yes, it's likely that either Chestnut or Finney will be the one who gets the call if and when Paige is unable to get the job done. But I, for one, am willing to leave that decision to Gasso; she's shown herself more than capable of making the right call.

Usually, the World Series is set up in a way in which you could win with one pitcher---assuming that you win all of your games. Lose one and get into the loser's bracket, and you have too many games in too short of a time frame. If you win them all, you usually have to pitch a first round game one day, maybe a second round game the next. If you win both, you can wait a day or two for the loser's bracket to produce your next opponent.

Back