Softball

OU split the series with Kansas, losing 2-5 with Stevens on the mound, and winning the rubber match on Sunday, 2-0, behind a two-hit shutout by Paige.

Stevens game was one of the strangest I have seen from her. She is cruising, in fact I think struck out the side the inning before, then has an 0-2 count on the first batter and then hits her, and the wheels are off. She must be in a very fragile place mentally. Sorry to see that I remember her from 3 years ago she was awesome.

Stevens game was one of the strangest I have seen from her. She is cruising, in fact I think struck out the side the inning before, then has an 0-2 count on the first batter and then hits her, and the wheels are off. She must be in a very fragile place mentally. Sorry to see that I remember her from 3 years ago she was awesome.

I just wonder if Kelsey wasn't overextended her first year here? She was very good her sophomore year but she's at the top of Big 12/Sooner records for innings pitched (see below). When she's on, she's as good as anyone and when she struggles, she struggles mightily! She does look better this year than last in spite of her inconsistencies.

2014 (Sophomore at Oklahoma)
Appeared in 57 games with 50 starts in the circle ... led the Big 12 in wins, innings pitched, appearances, games started and tied for the conference lead in complete games ... set a Big 12 single-season record with her 50 starts in the circle ... recorded the second-most appearances and third-most wins in a season in Big 12 history ... established OU single-season records for wins, appearances and starts ... posted the seventh-most innings pitched and strikeouts in a season at OU ...

She is just fragile. It happens and has happened in the major leagues. They call it Steve Blass disease - who was going great guns then suddenly could not throw a strike. Physically she is great just like two years ago but it doesn't work without the mental part. OU owes her big time because she was a big reason that OU made the WCWS in 2014. Without her, they don't make it.

https://youstinkbaseball.wordpress.com/2012/07/10/steve-blass-disease/

Last edited:
Big three-game series with Baylor (at Waco) starts Friday. BU is still undefeated in conference play and OU has just that one loss to KU. I'm hoping for a series sweep by our Sooners.

Big three-game series with Baylor (at Waco) starts Friday. BU is still undefeated in conference play and OU has just that one loss to KU. I'm hoping for a series sweep by our Sooners.

Yep, this is for conference title (albeit early in the seaon!). Anything less than 2-1 series win by the Sooners and conference title will be gone. More importantly, we need this series for seeding purposes since Hypocrite U is only ranked Big 12 team.

This team has the talent to win this series but, with all the youth, I'm not sure they have the consistency to win it. Hope I'm wrong!

Indeed, there isn't anyone else who can beat Baylor. I anticipate that Baylor will probably sweep Kansas in Waco, or come close. I don't see another team on the horizon that can beat Baylor, OU, or Kansas. Baylor has had some come-from-behind wins in the seventh that have helped them. They have good pitching. Stearns is as good as Paige (and a senior). Potts, a sophomore, is better than our number two, whomever that might be.

We are a better hitting team, about 370-318. We have slightly more home runs and doubles. But, Baylor is a more mature team. We are a better fielding team.

We will need to hit intelligently, and we could use a good start by our #2 pitcher.

Winning that first game on Friday is key to how the series goes, IMO. If Paige is on and we swing the bats like we know we can, we'll win the game – maybe easily – and the Bearlettes' confidence will have taken a serious blow.

Lose that first game, however, and it'll be an uphill battle to win the Big 12.

Winning that first game on Friday is key to how the series goes, IMO. If Paige is on and we swing the bats like we know we can, we'll win the game – maybe easily – and the Bearlettes' confidence will have taken a serious blow.

Lose that first game, however, and it'll be an uphill battle to win the Big 12.

I agree. This will be the hypocrites NC game though. I think I'd rather lose to any other Big 12 team than this group!

Indeed, there isn't anyone else who can beat Baylor. I anticipate that Baylor will probably sweep Kansas in Waco, or come close. I don't see another team on the horizon that can beat Baylor, OU, or Kansas. Baylor has had some come-from-behind wins in the seventh that have helped them. They have good pitching. Stearns is as good as Paige (and a senior). Potts, a sophomore, is better than our number two, whomever that might be.

We are a better hitting team, about 370-318. We have slightly more home runs and doubles. But, Baylor is a more mature team. We are a better fielding team.

We will need to hit intelligently, and we could use a good start by our #2 pitcher.

Nebraska who is now not ranked beat Michigan yesterday. Thinking Kansas can certainly take a game from Baylor, don't you? I mean I believe we really need to come out of this with two wins but, if we don't, still have a shot at conference title and national title.

I am so impressed by this freshman class. I wonder if Falu is going to
take away the home run title from Chamberlain.

Does anyone know why Parker isn't batting? Has she not been batting much this year? And, has she been suffering from some sort of injury that might have been effecting her pitching? Can't keep up with softball right now.

Okay, know I am not contributing, just asking questions so certainly not
offended if no one replies, but asking anyway. About Baylor's pitcher, what make her so good? Does she have a variety of weapons in her arsenal or just one that is really difficult to hit?

Home run by Kady Self with bases loaded in top of eighth and only one out.
So from 0 to 0 to 4-0. Clutch.

Might have been a good idea for them to wait until the game was over to proclaim their pitcher as the Baylor Player of the Game.

Might have been a good idea for them to wait until the game was over to proclaim their pitcher as the Baylor Player of the Game.

So true!

I think I know who Big 12 pitcher of the week will be this week! :)

Last edited:
Paige has now pitched about 28 innings without giving up a run. Good time for a good streak like that.

Paige has not been hitting as often this year. As much as anything, I think it might be the reluctance to risk further aggravation of her knee. She is more important on the mound than at bat. The tendency of the rightfielder for Baylor to throw out runners at first would probably be effective against Paige this year since she is so slow getting to first.

Stearns is experienced. Most, but not all, of those strikeouts are on pitches that are out of the zone. In the at bat prior to hitting the grand slam, Self struck out swinging at a pitch in her eyes. Stearns tends to hit the outside corner on our slap hitters, and they miss it while trying to run. Nearly every one of our strikeouts from hitters with some power were on balls up, probably about eye high and a bit inside. Notice that she had trouble with Shay because Shay wasn't biting on

A key to this team: four home runs---four different hitters. I think the home run was the only hit of the series for Romero and Nirschl. Miller's second hit came just before the home run.

Paige was better today.

Have I missed something on Fale? I don't think she's played at all this weekend. Is she hurt?

Have I missed something on Fale? I don't think she's played at all this weekend. Is she hurt?
I think Fale is injured. But, she made a key contribution to this game. She pinch hit for Arnold to begin the top of the eighth and singled back through the middle to put our leadoff runner on.

Back