Softball

I think Fale is injured. But, she made a key contribution to this game. She pinch hit for Arnold to begin the top of the eighth and singled back through the middle to put our leadoff runner on.

LOL. So that was Fale, huh? I didn't recognize her. And that idiot BU play-by-play guy kept calling her "Kelsey Arnold." I knew, of course, it wasn't Kelsey, but I didn't recognize Fale.

When OU re-inserted Arnold as the runner at first, that announcer never missed a beat.

LOL. So that was Fale, huh? I didn't recognize her. And that idiot BU play-by-play guy kept calling her "Kelsey Arnold." I knew, of course, it wasn't Kelsey, but I didn't recognize Fale.

When OU re-inserted Arnold as the runner at first, that announcer never missed a beat.

Well, he was doing his best Bob Uecker presentation. Every pitch was "just a bit inside." Actually, it almost hit her. He and his color analyst thought every pitch Stearns threw was a strike. The umpire was fairly accurate, although he did keep giving Stearns a high outside pitch as strike one. Maybe. The good news is that they won't be doing color tomorrow since I don't think they are telecasting tomorrow's game. I see that it is ESPN2. Hope they are doing the color.

Paige has now pitched about 28 innings without giving up a run. Good time for a good streak like that.

Paige has not been hitting as often this year. As much as anything, I think it might be the reluctance to risk further aggravation of her knee. She is more important on the mound than at bat. The tendency of the rightfielder for Baylor to throw out runners at first would probably be effective against Paige this year since she is so slow getting to first.

Stearns is experienced. Most, but not all, of those strikeouts are on pitches that are out of the zone. In the at bat prior to hitting the grand slam, Self struck out swinging at a pitch in her eyes. Stearns tends to hit the outside corner on our slap hitters, and they miss it while trying to run. Nearly every one of our strikeouts from hitters with some power were on balls up, probably about eye high and a bit inside. Notice that she had trouble with Shay because Shay wasn't biting on

A key to this team: four home runs---four different hitters. I think the home run was the only hit of the series for Romero and Nirschl. Miller's second hit came just before the home run.

Paige was better today.

Thanks, Syb. Not sure you were responding to me, but you answered my questions. It is certainly more fun to follow if I have some insight. I don't get the games on tv and often do not listen to the radio. Thus I am following the game online which I am happy to be able to access, but it certainly does not tell why thing happen.

Glad to hear Paige as that streak going. I was thinking because of an injury she had not started off as strong on the mound this year.

The little I have followed it seems we have strong defense and quite a few people who can hit. Really wish this group could make it to the WCWS this year. I am not sure anything is as much fun as going to watch there. Admit it was more fun before there were so many fans and the demographics and attitudes of the fans seemed to change. Of course, it is a GOOD thing for the game and for some odd reason, I have a feeling the purpose of the WCWS was never about me. Yes, very difficult to believe. Really, a sincere thanks for the input.

Thanks, Syb. Not sure you were responding to me, but you answered my questions. It is certainly more fun to follow if I have some insight. I don't get the games on tv and often do not listen to the radio. Thus I am following the game online which I am happy to be able to access, but it certainly does not tell why thing happen.

Glad to hear Paige as that streak going. I was thinking because of an injury she had not started off as strong on the mound this year.

The little I have followed it seems we have strong defense and quite a few people who can hit. Really wish this group could make it to the WCWS this year. I am not sure anything is as much fun as going to watch there. Admit it was more fun before there were so many fans and the demographics and attitudes of the fans seemed to change. Of course, it is a GOOD thing for the game and for some odd reason, I have a feeling the purpose of the WCWS was never about me. Yes, very difficult to believe. Really, a sincere thanks for the input.

I don't know if we can make the World Series unless Stevens, Chestnut, or Finney begins to pitch better. We need a second starter.

Last year, we went about as far as Shelby and Lauren could carry us. We really didn't have other options that stepped up in key situations. Self did some late in the year as she began to overcome her injuries.

This year, we don't have the absolute power of a Lauren or Shelby. But, we do have a more productive lineup. Getting four home runs from four different players in a key series is indicative. Having freshmen step up like Romero, Knighten, Clifton, and Aviu has been essential. Frankly, I'd rather have one of these four at bat with runners on base than our upperclassmen. They seem to hit line drives more.

Stearns throws hard, and has a good change up. She can vary the speed of her pitches and has good control. We swing at pitches out of the strike zone. Paige is definitely regaining her control and confidence. One (or none!!) walk!! What a difference! And no late innings with walks, hits and throwing balls.

Well, he was doing his best Bob Uecker presentation. Every pitch was "just a bit inside." Actually, it almost hit her. He and his color analyst thought every pitch Stearns threw was a strike. The umpire was fairly accurate, although he did keep giving Stearns a high outside pitch as strike one. Maybe. The good news is that they won't be doing color tomorrow since I don't think they are telecasting tomorrow's game. I see that it is ESPN2. Hope they are doing the color.

I knew when I saw the Baylor logo on the screen that it was time for me to mute the sound!

Have I missed something on Fale? I don't think she's played at all this weekend. Is she hurt?

I forgot all about Fale! I knew there was someone not playing but couldn't think of who it was!

Hypocrite U vision is pathetic! Their HD content was about as HD as a Poloroid Land Camera from the 1960's! And their announcer (he's been there a few years) was awful too. This crummy production really stands out when you have SoonerSportsTV!

Stearns, the BU pitcher, was not all that terrific. She was often behind in the count (contrast that with Paige) and when she needed a 3rd strike she would throw either a rise ball (high) or some kind of change up (low at the knees) and it would suck in our batter about every time. Usually she threw the rise. Our guys should pounce on that trend. Great win today!

Hypocrite U vision is pathetic! Their HD content was about as HD as a Poloroid Land Camera from the 1960's! And their announcer (he's been there a few years) was awful too. This crummy production really stands out when you have SoonerSportsTV!

LOL. You're correct on all counts. And has anyone else noticed the blatant homerism of the BU broadcasters? And I'm not talking about the normal slant all broadcasters give in favor of their home team. That girl who provided the "color" commentary in those two OU-BU telecasts was about the worst I've ever seen. When OU did something good, it was a fluke; when BU hit a routine fly ball to the outfield, the batter "just missed" knocking it out of the park.

That type of nonsense seems (to me, at least) common among teams (pro and college) from Texas. The Texas Rangers TV team, in my opinion, sometimes carries the blatant homerism to outrageous heights. Those guys question every ball/strike call that goes against their team. And they seldom give their opponent credit for anything. I'm a semi-Rangers fan, but those telecasts are awful. I watch a lot of MLB on TV, and I don't know of another broadcast crew whose broadcasters are that annoying.

Anyhow, my rant is finished. :ez-laugh: It will be nice to watch today's OU-BU series finale on ESPN. Don't know if I could stomach another broadcast like the ones I saw Friday and Saturday.

The only criticism I have of us is that Knighten needs a lot of defensive practice. She dropped an easy foul fly was out of position on a play at first and dropped a throw in game one. Her offense continues to be outstanding and she will learn and get better - probably quickly - because she is such a good athlete.

I don't know if we can make the World Series unless Stevens, Chestnut, or Finney begins to pitch better. We need a second starter.

Last year, we went about as far as Shelby and Lauren could carry us. We really didn't have other options that stepped up in key situations. Self did some late in the year as she began to overcome her injuries.

This year, we don't have the absolute power of a Lauren or Shelby. But, we do have a more productive lineup. Getting four home runs from four different players in a key series is indicative. Having freshmen step up like Romero, Knighten, Clifton, and Aviu has been essential. Frankly, I'd rather have one of these four at bat with runners on base than our upperclassmen. They seem to hit line drives more.

Making it to the WCWS is not a strong possibility but still have to hope. Stevens did it though think Pendley may have pitched some. Think Kelsey is our best hope for stepping up. Still this is a fun year. We have a talented group.

I think Michele Smith (OSU grad and Olympian) is doing the color commentary for ESPN today.

The only criticism I have of us is that Knighten needs a lot of defensive practice. She dropped an easy foul fly was out of position on a play at first and dropped a throw in game one. Her offense continues to be outstanding and she will learn and get better - probably quickly - because she is such a good athlete.

No question a top first baseman she is not. However with her experience high school being at short and second base I expect her learning curve to be quite steep. Presently OU is leading the conference if fielding percentage (.983 for the season and .988 in the conference) by a healthy margin. Also I would suspect at this time Knighton is doing a better job at first than Kady Self or Paris Townsend can do.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewContent.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=10410&CONTENT_ID=1762262

LOL. You're correct on all counts. And has anyone else noticed the blatant homerism of the BU broadcasters? And I'm not talking about the normal slant all broadcasters give in favor of their home team. That girl who provided the "color" commentary in those two OU-BU telecasts was about the worst I've ever seen. When OU did something good, it was a fluke; when BU hit a routine fly ball to the outfield, the batter "just missed" knocking it out of the park.

That type of nonsense seems (to me, at least) common among teams (pro and college) from Texas. The Texas Rangers TV team, in my opinion, sometimes carries the blatant homerism to outrageous heights. Those guys question every ball/strike call that goes against their team. And they seldom give their opponent credit for anything. I'm a semi-Rangers fan, but those telecasts are awful. I watch a lot of MLB on TV, and I don't know of another broadcast crew whose broadcasters are that annoying.

Anyhow, my rant is finished. :ez-laugh: It will be nice to watch today's OU-BU series finale on ESPN. Don't know if I could stomach another broadcast like the ones I saw Friday and Saturday.

The color girl for Hypocrite U is Kaitlyn Thumann, who graduated last year in Wacko. We have had many former players as color people on broadcasts and all are very professional and complimentary of opposing teams. Go figure!

Gutsy performance today by Paige. She didn't have her best stuff, and she worked through it with determination.

Every game had different heroines. Nicole was unexpected based on her performance this year. Not only did she have the key home run to get the lead back, she also had a key hit to drive in Aviu in the seventh with an extra insurance run. The double by Aviu was critical.

Game one: Romero, Miller, NIrschl
Game two: Self
Game three: Pendley

Paige was tiring visibly the last two innings of game three but her determination to finish held together. That determination showed. Who would have thought that home runs would be this teams forte? It has been so far. No one in the line up can be dismissed from the homer category.
We have three holdovers from the 2013 National Championship team and they are all contributing with one a captain. Love 'em!

Yes, Paige was obviously tiring about midway through the game. She was having trouble finding the strike zone as consistently as we're used to seeing. But, she evidently insisted on staying in the game; she was determined to finish what she started. I'm glad Gasso left her in. Paige is as competitive as any player I've ever seen. I think by the time this young lady's career is finished, she will be remembered as one of the all-time Sooner greats.

Also, I'd like to know how some of you reacted to the BU players lining up in front of the Sooners so that they couldn't watch the relief pitcher warm up. Personally, I thought it was funny, though I realize the Bears were very frustrated by that time and probably felt OU was, in some way, showing them up. Baylor is not a very classy program and the players' frustrations probably just finally boiled over. I wonder if their coach orchestrated that scene.

Yes, Paige was obviously tiring about midway through the game. She was having trouble finding the strike zone as consistently as we're used to seeing. But, she evidently insisted on staying in the game; she was determined to finish what she started. I'm glad Gasso left her in. Paige is as competitive as any player I've ever seen. I think by the time this young lady's career is finished, she will be remembered as one of the all-time Sooner greats.

Also, I'd like to know how some of you reacted to the BU players lining up in front of the Sooners so that they couldn't watch the relief pitcher warm up. Personally, I thought it was funny, though I realize the Bears were very frustrated by that time and probably felt OU was, in some way, showing them up. Baylor is not a very classy program and the players' frustrations probably just finally boiled over. I wonder if their coach orchestrated that scene.

Just know the lining up on the baseline in front of the Sooners was not appreciated by the umpire who told that they could not do it. This brought out their coach Moore and he was written again by the umpires. He was not a happy man this weekend. Yes, he did orchestrate it.

Back