Softball

9-8 win. Not a good game, especially in clutch situations. Texas got key hits. We didn't. We wasted a lot of runners. Paige was weak at times.

OSU beat baylor.

Hmmm, almost seems like you said OU lost...a win is a win in conference play (especially since OU is in the driver's seat). No need to be so negative and poo poo the team (after a win, none the less).

OU won the nightcap, 5-3 with a walk off home run on her Senior Night by Miller. Stevens went 4.1 and was charged with all three runs (two scored after she was pulled). Chestnut did a nice job in relief. We had only four hits, but five runs.

Knighten won the first game with a three-run shot. Miller won the second with a two-run shot. Both are red hot right now.

OSU 3-1 over Baylor
Baylor 6-3 over OSU in the nightcap (for the same reason that we played two)
Kansas 10 Tech 0. KU scored all ten in the fifth to run rule Tech (according to the announcers).

Caleigh has essentially squeezed Fale Aviu out of the starting lineup. She pushed Shay to 1B and Kady to LF, taking away an outfield spot.

At the start of the year, I believe the outfield was mostly Wodach/Pendley/Aviu with Miller at DP. Wodach moved to catcher, Self moved to LF and Miller started playing in the field with Aviu sometimes the DP now. Nirschl has deservedly been getting more starts at DP lately.

I'm somewhat expecting to see Aviu back out in the field with either Self, Miller, or Knighten as the DP. Aviu looks to be over her slump and appears to provide us with a better defensive outfield.

I don't know that Caleigh squeezed Fali out. The best hitter on the team right now not named Miller is Shay Knighten. She could not play second but has taken to 1B like a duck to water. She is playing extremely well there. In fact, so much so I think she will be the first baseman for four years. Caleigh is hitting .379 and fielding well at 2B. Kady has always been our best fielding OF. She was clutch in both games vs. Texas today. She made a backhanded catch to save Game 1 and robbed a Hr in the first inning in Game 2. Fali is not close yet to Kady, Erin, and Nicole in the field. She will be next year. This team is going to be fun to watch for years to come.

Yes, I thought it was an impressive performance out of Kelsey Stephens today. To 4.1 out of her when OU could not get a single out last year vs. Texas was huge. If you had told me that Paige would give up 8 and Kelsey went 4+ today, I would have though OU would have lost twice instead it was a doubleheader win.

I don't know that Caleigh squeezed Fali out. The best hitter on the team right now not named Miller is Shay Knighten. She could not play second but has taken to 1B like a duck to water. She is playing extremely well there. In fact, so much so I think she will be the first baseman for four years. Caleigh is hitting .379 and fielding well at 2B. Kady has always been our best fielding OF. She was clutch in both games vs. Texas today. She made a backhanded catch to save Game 1 and robbed a Hr in the first inning in Game 2. Fali is not close yet to Kady, Erin, and Nicole in the field. She will be next year. This team is going to be fun to watch for years to come.

Yes, I thought it was an impressive performance out of Kelsey Stephens today. To 4.1 out of her when OU could not get a single out last year vs. Texas was huge. If you had told me that Paige would give up 8 and Kelsey went 4+ today, I would have though OU would have lost twice instead it was a doubleheader win.

Just wondering because I have no clue, at the first of the season wasn't Fali the one hitting home runs? So now, is she not playing in the outfield but still still gets to bat as a designated player or is it Nirschl getting the time as DP?
And if Erin Miller is the best OF, why was she designated player at the first of the season as Austin,Tx said OR was she? I don't have the opportunity to follow the softball team much right now other than sometimes checking to see if we won. Speedy, this always seems to be what you follow most or so it seems to me. You just seem pretty knowledgeable, so thought I would ask. Last year, I was able to follow more and was more familiar with the play of the different players, but with all the new players I have fallen behind.

Last edited:
Just wondering because I have no clue, at the first of the season wasn't Fali the one hitting home runs? So now, is she not playing in the outfield but still still gets to bat as a designated player or is it Nirschl getting the time as DP?
And if Erin Miller is the best OF, why was she designated player at the first of the season as Austin,Tx said OR was she? I don't have the opportunity to follow the softball team much right now other than sometimes checking to see if we won. Speedy, this always seems to be what you follow most or so it seems to me. You just seem pretty knowledgeable, so thought I would ask. Last year, I was able to follow more and was more familiar with the play of the different players, but with all the new players I have fallen behind.

Gasso spends the first part of the season trying to find the best lineup from game action. Fali did start in the OF to start the season. However, Erin has proven to be the better OF and has the experience so she has taken over in right. Gasso tried a ton of positions for Knighten to find her a home - she has played 2nd, SS, OF, DP, and now !B. She has taken hold at 1B. Kady has to be in the lineup because of her experience and hitting. She was at 1B because Lea was playing LF. However, since Whitney quit, OU had a vacancy in LF so Kady moved back to LF and Lea to C. She has alternated the DP to the hot hitter. For instance, Macey Hatfield started the first game at Baylor but didn't hit for the first two ABs the Tori replaced her and hit a HR. Tori started the 2nd game but didn't hit for the first ABs so Fali replaced her and got a couple of key hits. Fali started game 3 and continued to hit then yesterday Fali started both games and hit the ball hard in game 1 but hit into two double plays in game 2. I have no idea who will start today. From watching the season - it looks like the everyday lineup barring injuries will be: Erin Miller in RF, Sydney Romero at 3B, Shay Knighten at 1B, Kady Self in LF, Cayleigh Clifton at 2b, Revolving Door at DP, Lea Wodoch at C, Nicole Pendley at CF, and Kelsey Arnold at SS.

8-1 Oklahoma
6-4 Baylor
4-3 Texas Tech
2-2 Kansas
4-5 Oklahoma State
2-5 Texas
0-6 Iowa State

Saturday
Texas Tech at Kansas
Baylor at Oklahoma State
Texas at Oklahoma

Sunday
Texas Tech at Kansas

Aviu has started thirty of our forty games. She missed some games due to injury and has only played in thirty-six. She has 97 at bats, the same as Kelsey Arnold who has started every game. Aviu has thirty runs batted in---third on the team. I kind of think she is the presumptive starter. Nirschl, in comparison, has 24 at bats.

I think it is safe to say that the starting lineup is now:

Miller 383 8 41
Romero 361 5 22
Knighten 410 9 37
Self 330 3 24
Clifton 371 1 26
Aviu 330 6 30
Pendley 324 3 22
Wodach 345 6 22
Arnold 423 0 5

Gasso spends the first part of the season trying to find the best lineup from game action. Fali did start in the OF to start the season. However, Erin has proven to be the better OF and has the experience so she has taken over in right. Gasso tried a ton of positions for Knighten to find her a home - she has played 2nd, SS, OF, DP, and now !B. She has taken hold at 1B. Kady has to be in the lineup because of her experience and hitting. She was at 1B because Lea was playing LF. However, since Whitney quit, OU had a vacancy in LF so Kady moved back to LF and Lea to C. She has alternated the DP to the hot hitter. For instance, Macey Hatfield started the first game at Baylor but didn't hit for the first two ABs the Tori replaced her and hit a HR. Tori started the 2nd game but didn't hit for the first ABs so Fali replaced her and got a couple of key hits. Fali started game 3 and continued to hit then yesterday Fali started both games and hit the ball hard in game 1 but hit into two double plays in game 2. I have no idea who will start today. From watching the season - it looks like the everyday lineup barring injuries will be: Erin Miller in RF, Sydney Romero at 3B, Shay Knighten at 1B, Kady Self in LF, Cayleigh Clifton at 2b, Revolving Door at DP, Lea Wodoch at C, Nicole Pendley at CF, and Kelsey Arnold at SS.

Appreciate your response! This really gets me caught up with the team. Will enjoy more.

And Syb, it looks like you agree with Speedy with the exception being the DP. I am unusually busy right now but will see any regional or super regionals and hopefully WCWS.
If Paige can get back to the Paige of last year, with the way the team is batting and playing defense; I do think there is a decent chance for them to make to OKC.

Aviu has started thirty of our forty games. She missed some games due to injury and has only played in thirty-six. She has 97 at bats, the same as Kelsey Arnold who has started every game. Aviu has thirty runs batted in---third on the team. I kind of think she is the presumptive starter. Nirschl, in comparison, has 24 at bats.

I think it is safe to say that the starting lineup is now:

Miller 383 8 41
Romero 361 5 22
Knighten 410 9 37
Self 330 3 24
Clifton 371 1 26
Aviu 330 6 30
Pendley 324 3 22
Wodach 345 6 22
Arnold 423 0 5

Amazing averages one thru nine! No one you can count on as an easy out. 7 of 9 are freshmen/sophomores!

The commentators indicated that next year's freshman class is almost as good as this one. If that turns out to be true, this team is set for a few years. With the exception of Lopez, the others tend to be multi-position type players. Lopez is a pure pitcher. Olmos is primarily a pitcher. Mendez is what---a pitcher or an outfielder? They are trying Dalton at catcher along with infielder. Taukeiaho seems to be a pure outfielder.

Yesterday, the put up a chart that indicated that 70% of our home runs and triples are from freshmen. I think it said about sixty percent of our run production is from freshmen. If you just look at the four starting freshmen, there are 115 runs batted in between them.

The good news is that we swept Texas after sweeping Baylor. Stevens and Chestnut looked good this weekend. The bad news is that Paige really didn't have a good weekend. She wasn't as crisp this weekend as she has been in recent weeks. Glad we have some time to let her work out her problems. After the past few weeks, I thought she was back after surgery.

Miller and Knighten had a great weekend. Glad to see Kylie Lundberg get a shot and get another double. She may replace Hatfield and Nirschl as our pinch-hitter.

Louisiana-Lafayette 1
Florida 5

Louisiana-Lafayette 1
Florida 14

It's tougher when you play with the big kids.

I didn't know until the telecast today that Lexie Elkins was out with an injury for six weeks. Her assault on Lauren's home run record stalls at 73.

The player draft was April 14.

Round 3, total pick #16 Chaley Brickey, INF, Kansas, Pennsylvania
Round 4, total pick #21 Lindsey Stephens, OF, Texas, Pennsylvania
Round 5, total pick #28 Brittany Gomez, UT, Iowa State, Pennsylvania
Round 5, total pick #32, Heather Stearns, RHP, Baylor, Florida Pride

These were the only Big Twelve players drafted. Stearns will play with Lauren and Shelby.

Louisiana-Lafayette 1
Florida 5

Louisiana-Lafayette 1
Florida 14

It's tougher when you play with the big kids.

I didn't know until the telecast today that Lexie Elkins was out with an injury for six weeks. Her assault on Lauren's home run record stalls at 73.

Ironically, two years ago I was going to the OU game at Lafayette. Talking to my uncle who told me that there was no way that Lauren would not break the record. We enter the stadium, I look around and there was not a number 44 for OU. She lost 6 weeks with a back injury. Of course, Lexie didn't do much as a frosh. Lauren's record is safe.

Big thing for OU has been these ESPN games that they are winning. This was the second week in a row over a big name opponent. Need to beat Tennessee on the road next week to complete the ESPN sweep. It will help in NCAA seeding.

Maybe not our best overall performance of the year, but we swept Texas. We did what we needed to do. We have an excellent shot at hosting a regional and super regional.

Maybe not our best overall performance of the year, but we swept Texas. We did what we needed to do. We have an excellent shot at hosting a regional and super regional.

We definitely need to go 5-0 this week. With wins over Tulsa, Arkansas and Tennessee and OU presently ranked #7 in the RPI plus Louisiana Lafayette getting swept by Florida (5-1, 14-1 and 3-0) we should move up to at least #6 in the RPI. Also #3 Washington still has 3 games at LSU and 3 games at Stanford plus they they were swept by Oregon in Seattle. Good chance we can jump the Huskies too.

If we go 5-0 this week and only Tech, ISU and OSU left on the schedule I think even a loss to OSU a 47-8 record will keep us in the top 8.

Last edited:
We didn't have a stellar week this past week. But, we won. With the exception of Louisiana-Lafayette who lost three to Florida, the teams ahead of us in the rpi also won. Bama lost one. I doubt that Lafayette can remain ahead of us after three losses.

With the exception of Auburn, none of the teams behind us stood out. Auburn killed Arkansas with three run-ruled games, something like 22-1, 23-1, and 10-1. But, quite a number of teams just behind us had some rough weeks. Georgia lost two to Tennessee with another to play tomorrow. Missouri lost two of three at Kentucky, which is no disgrace. LSU lost yet another. UCLA and Oregon State split. Minnesota was beaten twice by Wisconsin. Baylor lost to both Houston and Oklahoma State. Just by winning, we aren't losing any ground.

Tennessee will be a test. They are 17-0 at home and have a major winning streak going. They don't lose in Knoxville.

Back