Softball

Step away from the ledge, guys; I fully agree that the Big 12 – in its current configuration – is a crappy conference.

What I don't agree with, and what none of you have provided an ounce of evidence to support, is that the Big 12 is somehow having an adverse effect on OU's RPI this season. If you want to make the argument that being a member of a weak Big 12 hurt the Sooners' RPI last season, your position would be at least defensible, even though there were other factors at play.

But to argue that being a member of the Big 12 has been detrimental to OU's RPI this season, while the Sooners' RPI is No. 3 in the land…well, it's just ludicrous.

OU's RPI hasn't been adversely affected by playing in the Big 12 up to this point in the season. It will be affected after the next two weekends as we play the two worst teams RPI wise in the conference. Let's revisit this conversation at the conclusion of the season. The Big 12 is rated as the 3rd best softball conference. Coach Gasso has done a tremendous job scheduling a great out of conference schedule to help with the RPI. We should be able to stay within the Top 8 and keep us in position to host Regionals/Supers.

Step away from the ledge, guys; I fully agree that the Big 12 – in its current configuration – is a crappy conference.

What I don't agree with, and what none of you have provided an ounce of evidence to support, is that the Big 12 is somehow having an adverse effect on OU's RPI this season. If you want to make the argument that being a member of a weak Big 12 hurt the Sooners' RPI last season, your position would be at least defensible, even though there were other factors at play.

But to argue that being a member of the Big 12 has been detrimental to OU's RPI this season, while the Sooners' RPI is No. 3 in the land…well, it's just ludicrous.

It is really quite simple the schools in the SEC and to some extent the Pac12 get a boost in their RPI from playing in their conference and conference tournament because of their schools strength of schedule. Generally speaking that does not happen in the B12 because there are not enough quality softball schools in the B12. Also the Sooners cannot get a late season boost by winning a conference tournament like schools do in other conferences.

As a consequence Patty has to schedule what is probably the toughest non-conference schedule in the country to compensate for the weakness of the B12. This year to date on 3 of our 12 games against top 25 teams are from the B12 and only 10 of the 25 games we have played against the top 50 teams are from the B12. Patty has to go out of conference to schedule two thirds of her tough games and build her RPI so she can have a shot at hosting a super regional. For certain the B12 is not making Patty's job easy.

https://rpiarchive.ncaa.org/Stats Library/SB Nitty Gritty thru April 24 2016.pdf

Patty has always played a tough non-conference schedule, even when MU, NU and A&M were here. I don't see too much of a difference in schedule from last year to this year so not sure why we are higher in RPI now. Of course, we are sure to drop in RPI with remaining schedule, and that's if we win them all. TU in Tulsa will be tough as that will be their NC game and they skunked the whorns in Austin twice earlier in the season.

The Big 12 may not help but I don't believe it significantly hurts us either due to strong non-conference schedule. I think going west or east and playing the majority of games away from home helps a great deal and would negate having a weaker non-conference schedule and stronger Big 12.

It is really quite simple the schools in the SEC and to some extent the Pac12 get a boost in their RPI from playing in their conference and conference tournament because of their schools strength of schedule. Generally speaking that does not happen in the B12 because there are not enough quality softball schools in the B12. Also the Sooners cannot get a late season boost by winning a conference tournament like schools do in other conferences.

As a consequence Patty has to schedule what is probably the toughest non-conference schedule in the country to compensate for the weakness of the B12. This year to date on 3 of our 12 games against top 25 teams are from the B12 and only 10 of the 25 games we have played against the top 50 teams are from the B12. Patty has to go out of conference to schedule two thirds of her tough games and build her RPI so she can have a shot at hosting a super regional. For certain the B12 is not making Patty's job easy.

https://rpiarchive.ncaa.org/Stats Library/SB Nitty Gritty thru April 24 2016.pdf

You're absolutely right about Patty playing a tough out-of-conference schedule. She knows, of course, that if her Sooners win a majority of those contests, her team will get a boost in RPI. And if the Sooners can't beat those high-profile teams, they don't deserve to be rewarded with a high RPI.

I also agree with your point that not playing a conference tournament at the end of the regular season does not help the Sooners or any other Big 12 member. But that is an issue that can be easily corrected – and it will be, starting next year when the Big 12 reinstates its postseason tournament.

No one can convince me, however, that the SEC's strength of (in-conference) schedule is that much stronger than most of the other major conferences. Of course, their conference schedule appears to be extra tough, and the media tells us it is. But how could it appear otherwise when about two-thirds of the SEC team start the season in the Top 20. And since every highly-rated SEC teams is playing other highly-rated SEC teams throughout the season, those lofty ratings/RPI never decline.

So in those regards, I would have to agree that SEC teams have an easier path to ending the regular season with high RPIs and therefore getting to host regionals/super regionals.

Some of us might be in favor of OU leaving the Big 12 and joining the SEC where we can be one of the media darlings and always be ranked in the Top 5, whether we deserve to be or not. Personally, I prefer to see my Sooners beat those over-rated SEC teams regularly and make it to the CWC on their own merit.

Last edited:
You're absolutely right about Patty playing a tough out-of-conference schedule. She knows, of course, that if her Sooners win a majority of those contests, her team will get a boost in RPI. And if the Sooners can't beat those high-profile teams, they don't deserve to be rewarded with a high RPI.

I also agree with your point that not playing a conference tournament at the end of the regular season does not help the Sooners or any other Big 12 member. But that is an issue that can be easily corrected – and it will be, starting next year when the Big 12 reinstates its postseason tournament.

No one can convince me, however, that the SEC's strength of (in-conference) schedule is that much stronger than most of the other major conferences. Of course, their conference schedule appears to be extra tough, and the media tells us it is. But how could it appear otherwise when about two-thirds of the SEC team start the season in the Top 20. And since every highly-rated SEC teams is playing other highly-rated SEC teams throughout the season, those lofty ratings/RPI never decline.

So in those regards, I would have to agree that SEC teams have an easier path to ending the regular season with high RPIs and therefore getting to host regionals/super regionals.

Some of us might be in favor of OU leaving the Big 12 and joining the SEC where we can be one of the media darlings and always be ranked in the Top 5, whether we deserve to be or not. Personally, I prefer to see my Sooners beat those over-rated SEC teams regularly and make it to the CWC on their own merit.

If you look at the last two WCWS you will observe that 8 of the 16 teams in the WCWS were from the SEC and 3 of the 4 teams in the finals were also from the SEC. For certain I do not want OU to leave the B12 for the SEC as it would not provide the winning percentages and championships OU's fans are accustom to achieving in multiple sports. But just like football qualifying for the CFP and the WCWS is going to be more difficult to achieve playing in the B12.

It probably will be 2025 when the grant of TV media rights contracts expire but I suspect OU will no longer be a member of the B12 opting to move to another conference at that time. TV money for B12 schools will be a +$15 million less after the new conference TV contracts are all signed. In my opinion OU goes to the Pac12 as a member of the eastern division comprised of Arizona, ASU, Colorado, Utah, Texas, OU and two other B12 schools most likely Baylor and TCU.

If you look at the last two WCWS you will observe that 8 of the 16 teams in the WCWS were from the SEC and 3 of the 4 teams in the finals were also from the SEC. For certain I do not want OU to leave the B12 for the SEC as it would not provide the winning percentages and championships OU's fans are accustom to achieving in multiple sports. But just like football qualifying for the CFP and the WCWS is going to be more difficult to achieve playing in the B12.

It probably will be 2025 when the grant of TV media rights contracts expire but I suspect OU will no longer be a member of the B12 opting to move to another conference at that time. TV money for B12 schools will be a +$15 million less after the new conference TV contracts are all signed. In my opinion OU goes to the Pac12 as a member of the eastern division comprised of Arizona, ASU, Colorado, Utah, Texas, OU and two other B12 schools most likely Baylor and TCU.

I can almost guarantee you Hypocrite U and TCU will NOT be joining PAC 12 or any other Power 5 conference. They may have good football programs now and new little stadiums but they provide the Big 12 almost nothing in market value. On this list from Wall Street Journal TCU is 53 and Hypocrite U is 61. Another list I saw a few months ago had those 2 in the bottom 3 of Big 12.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-your-college-team-worth-1421081367

Last year was somewhat of a similar year in that we did win some good games early. But, we didn't play as many good teams, although we tried. But, it may have come down to the fact that after the tournaments, we went to LSU and lost two. This year, we beat Bama in a similar game to the LSU first loss last year, and we beat Tennessee. There is the difference.

We, like most top ten teams, are not in a position to lose. Michigan doesn't play anyone of note. We don't either, Tulsa notwithstanding. James Madison and Louisiana-Lafayette can't stand a loss. Oregon is at risk. Most of the SEC teams are a little better off since they would be losing to higher ranked teams. But, with Tulsa, Iowa State, OSU, and Tech on the horizon, we need to finish 9-0.

Will Brit or Kelsey get the third start?

I can almost guarantee you Hypocrite U and TCU will NOT be joining PAC 12 or any other Power 5 conference. They may have good football programs now and new little stadiums but they provide the Big 12 almost nothing in market value. On this list from Wall Street Journal TCU is 53 and Hypocrite U is 61. Another list I saw a few months ago had those 2 in the bottom 3 of Big 12.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/whats-your-college-team-worth-1421081367

I will agree that TCU and Baylor provide little market value with Texas in the conference. And TV's is first and football second at driving conference membership and TV contracts. Only Kansas in the B12 could provide more TV sets and they definitely don't have a big TV market for football. Also contrary to you thoughts both Baylor and TCU do provide academics which is a priority with the both the Pac12 and the BIG. Futhermore few realize it but since the inception of the B12 only Texas (154) and OU (69) have more conference championships than Baylor (67) and OU has only 2 more conference championships. Those 67 Baylor championships are 4 more than OSU (63) and 33 more than Kansas (34).

I think OU and Texas will have the big say on the other 2 B12 schools with Texas politicians will push for two Texas schools and Oklahoma politicians wanting OSU. I don't think OSU provides the academics desired by the Pac12.

If you look at U.S. News and World Reports ranking of universities Baylor is ranked #72, TCU #82, OU #108, KU #115 and OSU #149 and academic standards are very big with the Pac12.

http://www.big12sports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=205160610

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ges/rankings/national-universities?int=9ff208

If you use the intrinsic value published the Wall's Street Journal the three highest B12 options after OU and Texas are OSU, Texas Tech and KSU. Interestingly the WSJ values KSU athletic department at 275% more than the Kansas athletic department which I have to question based on the revenue rankings listed in the below link which is U.S. Department of Education data.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Conference

Last edited:
I will agree that TCU and Baylor provide little market value and TV's first and football second drive conference membership and TV contracts. Only Kansas in the B12 could provide more TV sets and they definitely don't have any TV market. Also contrary to you thoughts both Baylor and TCU do provide academics which is a priority with the both the Pac12 and the BIG. Futhermore few realize it but since the inception of the B12 only Texas (154) and OU (69) have more conference championships than Baylor (67) and OU has only 2 more conference championships. Those 67 Baylor championships are 4 more than OSU (63) and 33 more than Kansas (34).

I think OU and Texas will have the big say on the other 2 B12 schools with Texas politicians will push for two Texas schools and Oklahoma politicians wanting OSU. I don't think OSU provides the academics desired by the Pac12.

If you look at U.S. News and World Reports ranking of universities Baylor is ranked #72, TCU #82, OU #108, KU #115 and OSU #149 and academic standards are very big with the Pac12.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ges/rankings/national-universities?int=9ff208

The Pac 12 does not want church schools at all. It is very unlikely that TCU or Baylor (which the Pac 12 said unequivocally no to in 2010) will not be invited. Personally, I don't believe OU will be in the Pac 12 but rather the SEC or Big Ten especially if it has to do with money.

The Pac 12 does not want church schools at all. It is very unlikely that TCU or Baylor (which the Pac 12 said unequivocally no to in 2010) will not be invited. Personally, I don't believe OU will be in the Pac 12 but rather the SEC or Big Ten especially if it has to do with money.

Correct! They would take ANY of the other 8 Big 12 members over these 2 in spite of their US News rank or their conference championships. In fact, no other Power 5 conference would sniff these 2. The realignment talk is about value added to the conference and these 2 would add nothing to any major conference financially. Biggest mistake Big 12 has made was inviting both of these schools!

:OU-logo:

I will agree that TCU and Baylor provide little market value with Texas in the conference. And TV's is first and football second at driving conference membership and TV contracts. Only Kansas in the B12 could provide more TV sets and they definitely don't have a big TV market for football. Also contrary to you thoughts both Baylor and TCU do provide academics which is a priority with the both the Pac12 and the BIG. Futhermore few realize it but since the inception of the B12 only Texas (154) and OU (69) have more conference championships than Baylor (67) and OU has only 2 more conference championships. Those 67 Baylor championships are 4 more than OSU (63) and 33 more than Kansas (34).

I think OU and Texas will have the big say on the other 2 B12 schools with Texas politicians will push for two Texas schools and Oklahoma politicians wanting OSU. I don't think OSU provides the academics desired by the Pac12. Maybe 10 years ago we would have had a big say. PAC12 wouldn't take us because we wanted to bring osu. No way could Texas convince Stanford, Cal, USC, Washington, etc to bring along Hypocrite U and/or TCU. Just won't happen regardless of their supposed academic standing.

If you use the intrinsic value published the Wall's Street Journal the three highest B12 options after OU and Texas are OSU, Texas Tech and KSU. Interestingly the WSJ values KSU athletic department at 275% more than the Kansas athletic department which I have to question based on the revenue rankings listed in the below link which is U.S. Department of Education data. Not saying OSU, KSU or Tech are great but they are significantly higher than Hypocrite U and TCU, as far as value added to a conference.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Conference

No question that the money that the B1G and SEC provide is an attraction that would peak OU's interest. The first problem I see with the B1G is academics. The B1G has required all member schools be Association of American Universities members before acceptance into the conference.

The one exception is Nebraska which was an AAU member for decades before acceptance in the B1G but lost that accreditation a couple years after joining the B1G because their medical was not on the Lincoln campus and their focus on agricultural research which the AAU mitigates. Only Texas, KU and ISU are AAU members.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/n...for-nebraska/article_e93dccc6-ed16-11e5-9aa9-
0312c0e2e5e6.html

Also I think while many are intrigued by SEC membership ultimately the OU fan's will be very dissatisfied with the football success in the SEC. Presently OU wins the football conference championship about 50% of the time and have won 11 or more games 11 of the last 16 years. We won 10 games two more years. The three seasons we did not win 10 games many fans were in an uproar with many wanting Stoops head. During that period we won or shared 9 conference championships.

As a member of the SEC we would be very fortunate to win 4 conference championships per decade and 3 is more likely in my opinion. It should be noted that Alabama has only won only 5 conference championships in the last 16 years in the SEC. Next high on the list is LSU with 4.

If OU were to be outstanding and win 4 championships in 10 years with 6-7 ten win seasons the OU fans would be screaming for somebody's head. They expect to win much more. During the Stoops 16 year era OU won 10+ games 13 times. In the SEC Alabama and Georgia had twice as many sub 10 (6 vs 3) win seasons as the Sooners but did win 10+ games 10 times, LSU 9 times and Florida 7 times. I just do not see the spoiled OU fan accepting more losses and many fewer championship while focusing on SEC, SEC, SEC. That is not OU as we have known it for the last 65 years.

Correct! They would take ANY of the other 8 Big 12 members over these 2 in spite of their US News rank or their conference championships. In fact, no other Power 5 conference would sniff these 2. The realignment talk is about value added to the conference and these 2 would add nothing to any major conference financially. Biggest mistake Big 12 has made was inviting both of these schools!

You and Speedy might be correct about the Pac12 position on church schools but I would argue that both Baylor and TCU would get serious consideration were Texas and OU to dictate those were the two wanted as conference members and the Texas legislature demanded it as a requirement for Texas changing conference.

I could see TCU getting bumped for OSU or Texas Tech but I think the political clout Baylor has in the Texas legislature is extremely strong and it could be difficult for Texas to detach them from their coat tails.

No question that the money that the B1G and SEC provide is an attraction that would peak OU's interest. The first problem I see with the B1G is academics. The B1G has required all member schools be Association of American Universities members before acceptance into the conference.

The one exception is Nebraska which was an AAU member for decades before acceptance in the B1G but lost that accreditation a couple years after joining the B1G because their medical was not on the Lincoln campus and their focus on agricultural research which the AAU mitigates. Only Texas, KU and ISU are AAU members.

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/n...for-nebraska/article_e93dccc6-ed16-11e5-9aa9-
0312c0e2e5e6.html

Also I think while many are intrigued by SEC membership ultimately the OU fan's will be very dissatisfied with the football success in the SEC. Presently OU wins the football conference championship about 50% of the time and have won 11 or more games 11 of the last 16 years. We won 10 games two more years. The three seasons we did not win 10 games many fans were in an uproar with many wanting Stoops head. During that period we won or shared 9 conference championships.

As a member of the SEC we would be very fortunate to win 4 conference championships per decade and 3 is more likely in my opinion. It should be noted that Alabama has only won only 5 conference championships in the last 16 years in the SEC. Next high on the list is LSU with 4.

If OU were to be outstanding and win 4 championships in 10 years with 6-7 ten win seasons the OU fans would be screaming for somebody's head. They expect to win much more. During the Stoops 16 year era OU won 10+ games 13 times. In the SEC Alabama and Georgia had twice as many sub 10 (6 vs 3) win seasons as the Sooners but did win 10+ games 10 times, LSU 9 times and Florida 7 times. I just do not see the spoiled OU fan accepting more losses and many fewer championship while focusing on SEC, SEC, SEC. That is not OU as we have known it for the last 65 years.

The fun thing about these discussions is it all academic. We have no control, merely opinions none of which are either right or wrong. This is controlled by David Boren, Joe Castiglione and whatever big donors they listen to. They hear us and may even listen to us but without the fans reaching a consensus opinion our impact is nil.

Last edited:
You and Speedy might be correct about the Pac12 position on church schools but I would argue that both Baylor and TCU would get serious consideration were Texas and OU to dictate those were the two wanted as conference members and the Texas legislature demanded it as a requirement for Texas changing conference.

I could see TCU getting bumped for OSU or Texas Tech but I think the political clout Baylor has in the Texas legislature is extremely strong and it could be difficult for Texas to detach them from their coat tails.

I don't think OU nor Texas has that power to dictate anymore for someone else. I think we have quite a bit of power individually, but to dictate to these other conferences, I think not so much. We wanted to bring osu to PAC12 and they wouldn't accept. I think they would have accepted us by ourselves but we will never know.

David Boren would fight for any other Big 12 school to be an invite over Hypocrite U or TCU. I think osu and KU would be his first choices.

I think A&M leaving for SEC by themselves now show how much power (or interest) the Texas legislature has in conference realignment now. No one thought they would allow A&M to leave by themselves and no one blinked an eye.

Hypocrite U and TCU, in spite of their recent success on the football field, adds no value monetarily to any Power 5 conference. Texas, and to a lesser extent Tech, provide access to markets in TX. Hypocrite U and TCU do not. They ONLY provide a voting bloc to Texas to wield their power in the Big 12. Nothing more, nothing less. Rice has more academic prestige than Hypocrite U and TCU. Why didn't/don't we invite them to Big 12? Why doesn't any other Power 5 conference want them? No one wants BYU, another church school with so-called enormous market appeal.

True we aren't a member of the AAU, but I believe due to David Boren's vision and action on improving OU all across the board (academically, athletically, etc) we are close. The monetary value OU would add to B1G as a member would certainly give them pause to add OU (not that I think B1G is best option). We would add more value to B1G than Nebraska did, or Maryland and Rutgers. This is about money, pure and simple, and that's why these conferences are looking for schools to add market share, or potential market share, to their brand.

OU, by ourselves, can go pretty much where we want IMO. Bringing a tag along (except TX) would probably limit our options, especially if osu is involved.

I don't think OU nor Texas has that power to dictate anymore for someone else. I think we have quite a bit of power individually, but to dictate to these other conferences, I think not so much. We wanted to bring osu to PAC12 and they wouldn't accept. I think they would have accepted us by ourselves but we will never know.

David Boren would fight for any other Big 12 school to be an invite over Hypocrite U or TCU. I think osu and KU would be his first choices.

I think A&M leaving for SEC by themselves now show how much power (or interest) the Texas legislature has in conference realignment now. No one thought they would allow A&M to leave by themselves and no one blinked an eye.

Hypocrite U and TCU, in spite of their recent success on the football field, adds no value monetarily to any Power 5 conference. Texas, and to a lesser extent Tech, provide access to markets in TX. Hypocrite U and TCU do not. They ONLY provide a voting bloc to Texas to wield their power in the Big 12. Nothing more, nothing less. Rice has more academic prestige than Hypocrite U and TCU. Why didn't/don't we invite them to Big 12? Why doesn't any other Power 5 conference want them? No one wants BYU, another church school with so-called enormous market appeal.

True we aren't a member of the AAU, but I believe due to David Boren's vision and action on improving OU all across the board (academically, athletically, etc) we are close. The monetary value OU would add to B1G as a member would certainly give them pause to add OU (not that I think B1G is best option). We would add more value to B1G than Nebraska did, or Maryland and Rutgers. This is about money, pure and simple, and that's why these conferences are looking for schools to add market share, or potential market share, to their brand.

OU, by ourselves, can go pretty much where we want IMO. Bringing a tag along (except TX) would probably limit our options, especially if osu is involved.

I would concur that Boren's first choice is probably OSU because of political pressure and I have no idea who else he would prefer. But for certain you are correct that conference reconfiguration is about money/TV sets/population and Boren is smart enough to know that being linked to Texas in a new alignment is how to best maximize new revenue for OU.

I don't see Texas wanting any part of the SEC. They become too small of a fish in a big pond and they open up recruiting for Texas H.S. talent even more than it is now with aTm in the SEC. Texas likes and is accustomed to being a big fish. Ditto OU. I don't see either having significant leverage in the SEC especially as new kids on the block.

However with Texas and OU being the main players in an eastern division of the Pac12 both schools will have more clout than as members of the B1G or SEC. This is especially true with two other B12 schools joining them in the Pac12 and the financial impact from TV money this expansion would bring to the Pac12.

And when it comes to money Texas and OU gain even more leverage with the Pac12 than they would the SEC because Texas TV sets are already part of the SEC targeted market. Conference money is all about TV sets and TV sets is all about population. Present population of SEC states is 95.6 million, B1G states 85.1 million, Pac12 65.5 million and B12 39.2 million. Easy to see why the B12 will be financially starved to death over time. Also while the Pac12 has its own conference network they have been unable to negotiate a TV contract with Direct TV/ATT that is acceptable to the conference CEO's.

Add Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas to the Pac12 and the population of Pac12 states grows to 99.8 million the largest of any conference. Now the Pac12 has lots of leverage to negotiate an ideal contract with Direct TV or whomever and this leverage results from Texas and OU's membership which in turn is leverage for both schools to remain big fish in their new conference.

Furthermore with most of our games remaining unchanged with 3 non-conference and 5 division games we should be able to continue to dominate our new division comprised of Utah, Colorado, Arizona, ASU, Texas, OU, ? and ?. Likewise we should be able to win many more conference championships and play for more national championships in all sports than we could as members of the SEC and that makes for happier OU fans. Just one man's opinion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._states_and_territories_by_population

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/colleg...ing_wp_cron=1461868205.1931009292602539062500

Last edited:
Paige to start the Iowa State game. No lineup changes:

Miller
Romero
Knighten
Clifton
Aviu
Pendley
Self
Wodach
Arnold

Aviu singled home Knighten for the game's first run. Pendley is wearing a face mask at bat, has a black eye. 1-0 going into the bottom of the first. IS pitcher throwing slow ball.

IS got a hit. But, she was thrown out stealing. No score.

OU had no hits in the top of the second. Seems that they are trying to pull a pitcher who is a lot slower than what they are accustomed to seeing.

IS got a single in the second, but nothing else.

They have no lights. If the games go long, we may have to finish tomorrow.

Last edited:
syb: Are you watching the ISU stream? If so, mind if I ask what they charge?

Self's lead off single goes to waste. 1-0.

IS hit a two-run home run, leads after four, 2-1.

Last edited:
Back