Softball

Shouldn't be a problem, unless its heavily overcast. Believe it begins to get dusky dark around 7:30-8:00 p.m.

I'm really pleased to see that Kelsey is getting an opportunity to get herself back on track with the postseason approaching. And she's been responding nicely. I realize ISU isn't a great team, but even good teams like our Sooners can lose these types of games if they are not mentally prepared and take their opponent for granted. I guess we need to win the remainder of our regular season games. Some of us seem to believe our RPI will fall below the top 8 if we lose to another Big 12 team. And who knows, they may very well be right; I wouldn't put anything past the people who make those decisions.

I feel certain, however, that if we win out we'll get to host a regional and be in good position to host a super regional as well. This team is very young but may be among the 2-3 most talented in the nation.

The talent is surely here and will be a year older, more experienced, and be joined by another of Patty's world -beater recruiting classes. We do lose Kady, Erin, and Townsend and that's no small loss, but we hardly have space for the outstanding talent on hand.

The talent is surely here and will be a year older, more experienced, and be joined by another of Patty's world -beater recruiting classes. We do lose Kady, Erin, and Townsend and that's no small loss, but we hardly have space for the outstanding talent on hand.

Yeah, Erin and Kady are all-time greats. I agree, though; Patty will replace them with players who are just as good – or better.

Are the regionals and super-regionals destinations picked at the same time?
If so, then if a team picked for a super-regional loses in the regional then does that super-regional change to the next highest team that won their regional in that bracket? I have really never paid attention but for some reason I was thinking that had Alabama lost in their regional that the winner would have played us in Norman. Have no clue really. If not though, it looks like our chances of hosting a super regional will hinge on how teams ranked above us have done this week and do the remaining of the regular season.

I AM going to start paying more attention or just wait until I get answers to questions by what happens or start doing research. It's not really fair to come
on here and have to ask so many questions.

I did do some research last week and found information on the DP and flex player and how they can be used. It appears if you are a coach that takes
time to study upcoming games and your players and then how things are actually going in a game that you could really use this rule to your advantage. Also, it depends upon how many players who don't start can contribute, especially as a DH. Where strategy like this can really make a difference is what I find most interesting and I imagine most challenging for the coaches.

Are the regionals and super-regionals destinations picked at the same time?
If so, then if a team picked for a super-regional loses in the regional then does that super-regional change to the next highest team that won their regional in that bracket? I have really never paid attention but for some reason I was thinking that had Alabama lost in their regional that the winner would have played us in Norman. Have no clue really. If not though, it looks like our chances of hosting a super regional will hinge on how teams ranked above us have done this week and do the remaining of the regular season.

I AM going to start paying more attention or just wait until I get answers to questions by what happens or start doing research. It's not really fair to come
on here and have to ask so many questions.

I did do some research last week and found information on the DP and flex player and how they can be used. It appears if you are a coach that takes
time to study upcoming games and your players and then how things are actually going in a game that you could really use this rule to your advantage. Also, it depends upon how many players who don't start can contribute, especially as a DH. Where strategy like this can really make a difference is what I find most interesting and I imagine most challenging for the coaches.

You are correct. Once the bracket is set the host of the Super Regional is the highest rated team left. If Bama had lost their regional last year, it would have been played in Norman at OU.

You are correct. Once the bracket is set the host of the Super Regional is the highest rated team left. If Bama had lost their regional last year, it would have been played in Norman at OU.

Hey, thanks.

The NCAA just came out with their first ranking for the 2016 softball season. These ranking use the same criteria as is used by the seeding committee for the post season but of course only the final season rankings have any impact on the seedings.

This initial ranking is vitually the same as the RPI with OU rank #3 and Auburn (#4)/Alabama(#5) being reversed in the two polls. Ditto Florida State (#8)/Washington (#9). I think OU holds the #3 ranking unless they lose a game to ISU, Tulsa, Tech or OSU.

Also should Auburn or Alabama win the SEC tournament they would probably jump the Sooners and Florida might stay above OU as well. Playing/winning a conference tournament with seven teams ranked in the #15 bodes well for for your RPI ranking. Not playing a conference tournament can be detrimental to your ranking.

WCWS pairings, should the ranking remain unchanged, can be critical to staying in the winners bracket which OU badly needs with only one key pitcher in Parker while most team have two. Consequently I looked at the era's of the starting pitchers in the current top ten and it appears the teams we would most prefer to be paired against in OKC are Washington (3.25/3.66), Oregon (2.31/2.48) and Alabama (2.29/2.40) in that order. We definitely don't want to get paired against Florida (0.77/0.78) or Auburn (1.04) until as late as possible. Also Auburn has only one key starter. OU's era is (1.90/2.77).

All stats are for the conference season (later in season, better teams except B12) except the Pac 12 schools which doesn't publish conference only stats.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/softball/a...ship-sport-committee-announces-top-10-ranking

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/softball/d1

The weather is helping. Four Iowa State errors has led to five OU runs, 5-0 after four. Chestnut on the mound.

The game is official. OU leads 5-0 after five. Finney in for Chestnut.

OU wins 12-1. In the seventh, Knighten hit her tenth, and CLifton hit her third. Chestnut with the win. I think Finney got a save. If so, that is OU's first save of the year.

Miller now leads in rbis with 44. Knighten is up to 43.

The only run of the game was unearned, the result of a walk, wild pitch, passed ball, and ground out. The umpire miscounted the pitch count on the hitter before the ground out. Should have been a strikeout and groundout with no run scored. He missed a pitch.

Brit did get a save, the first for OU this year.

Tennessee run-ruled Auburn, 10-2, in the first of their three-game series. Rains postponed them yesterday.

Another good win. It can't be the easiest thing in the world, having your games postponed and all that waiting to play when your team is away from home. The Sooners obviously didn't let it bother them, though.

To Spock's statement in an above post: OU does have more than one "key" pitcher (though I prefer "capable"). And it's doubtful the Sooners will drop below #3 if they lose just one more game. It would not be a disaster to lose a game to a team like Tulsa. Auburn, a team that's just below OU, got blown out today by Tennessee, another SEC team and one we handled easily.

Another good win. It can't be the easiest thing in the world, having your games postponed and all that waiting to play when your team is away from home. The Sooners obviously didn't let it bother them, though.

To Spock's statement in an above post: OU does have more than one "key" pitcher (though I prefer "capable"). And it's doubtful the Sooners will drop below #3 if they lose just one more game. It would not be a disaster to lose a game to a team like Tulsa. Auburn, a team that's just below OU, got blown out today by Tennessee, another SEC team and one we handled easily.
/
It is way more than doubtful that OU could drop below #3 in the RPI ranking with a loss to a RPI team ranked #40 (OSU) or #62 (Tech). If OU loses one their RPI probably stays the same at best.

No question the loss to Tennessee was not good for the Tigers But remember Tennessee is ranked #13 and Auburn/Tennessee still have two games to play. One tonight and one tomorrow. If Auburn wins both in Knoxville they will have had a great series win and the loss will mean very little.

One needs to remember that Alabama took 2 of 3 from Florida and the Gators are still ranked #1. It is simple RPI ranking mean alot. Also if you look at the box score of the Tennessee/Auburn game something glaring stands out.

Auburn started their ace Carlson who was 13-0 has a 1.27 era conference era. She had allowed 26 BB in 82.2 innings. Against Tennessee she went Kelsey Stevens. She threw 0.2 innings walked 6, allowed 3 hits and 8 runs. That might be worse than Kelsey. It will be interest how she throws in the second or third game unless there is another factor like an injury. However the game story make no mention of any injury.

But don't kid yourself were Auburn to win the series against #13 Tennessee, sweep #22 aTm next weekend and then beat #5 Alabama and #1 Florida to win the SEC tournament they could easily jump OU in the RPI as their RPI will make a big jump up. Those results would be at least 5 wins over highly ranked teams in the last 15 days of the season. Which would have a much more positive impact on the RPI rankings and tournament seeding than OU having 6 victories over the #36, #40 and #62 ranked team.

Easy to see SEC conference working to the advantage of SEC schools while the B12 is doing exactly the opposite for OU.

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/softball/2016/lgplyrs.htm

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/stats/2015-2016/au51.html

/
It is way more than doubtful that OU could drop below #3 in the RPI ranking with a loss to a RPI team ranked #40 (OSU) or #62 (Tech). If OU loses one their RPI probably stays the same at best.

No question the loss to Tennessee was not good for the Tigers But remember Tennessee is ranked #13 and Auburn/Tennessee still have two games to play. One tonight and one tomorrow. If Auburn wins both in Knoxville they will have had a great series win and the loss will mean very little.

One needs to remember that Alabama took 2 of 3 from Florida and the Gators are still ranked #1. It is simple RPI ranking mean alot. Also if you look at the box score of the Tennessee/Auburn game something glaring stands out.

Auburn started their ace Carlson who was 13-0 has a 1.27 era conference era. She had allowed 26 BB in 82.2 innings. Against Tennessee she went Kelsey Stevens. She threw 0.2 innings walked 6, allowed 3 hits and 8 runs. That might be worse than Kelsey. It will be interest how she throws in the second or third game unless there is another factor like an injury. However the game story make no mention of any injury.

But don't kid yourself were Auburn to win the series against #13 Tennessee, sweep #22 aTm next weekend and then beat #5 Alabama and #1 Florida to win the SEC tournament they could easily jump OU in the RPI as their RPI will make a big jump up. Those results would be at least 5 wins over highly ranked teams in the last 15 days of the season. Which would have a much more positive impact on the RPI rankings and tournament seeding than OU having 6 victories over the #36, #40 and #62 ranked team.

Easy to see SEC conference working to the advantage of SEC schools while the B12 is doing exactly the opposite for OU.

http://a.espncdn.com/sec/softball/2016/lgplyrs.htm

http://www.auburntigers.com/sports/w-softbl/stats/2015-2016/au51.html

Would you strop already? No one is denying that the SEC has some good teams. The conference has 13 members playing softball; it stands to reason 4-5 of them should be pretty good. Florida was obviously the best team in the nation the last two years. But you're mistaken to believe that the SEC is that much better than everyone else. It's simply not true.

It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that Auburn is capable of beating everyone left on its schedule, winning the SEC and finishing the season with the nation's highest RPI. Well, I've got news for you. I've been watching the Tigers for the last two days and -- news flash -- if OU played Auburn in a three-game series, the Sooners would probably sweep them. All that stuff I've been hearing about the Tigers having it all -- an explosive offense and a great defense -- is just more of that same old SEC hype. This weekend, Tennessee run-ruled them in the first game and is leading them 8-1 at this moment in the second game. And A&M (yes, the same A&M that used to be an also-ran in the Big 12) beat mighty Florida today.

Don't get me wrong, Spock. I believe the SEC has some really good teams. But I'm not sure Tennessee isn't actually the class of that league. And I think you know how things have gone against the Lady Vols in their history with OU.

Auburn is not going to win this series against Tennessee and the Tigers are certainly not going to win the SEC. And unless OU totally collapses in the last couple of weeks of the regular season, the Tigers and no other SEC team that is currently below OU will overtake the Sooners in RPI.

Back