Softball

Newsflash!!

Game 1 Tennessee 10 Auburn 2 Run Rule in 5 innings

Game 2 Tennessee 12 Auburn 1 Run Rule in 5 Innings

Looking Good for the Sooners. Bama lost a game against South Carolina. Locking in that 3 spot.

Florida lost today at A&M 6-4.

Would you strop already? No one is denying that the SEC has some good teams. The conference has 13 members playing softball; it stands to reason 4-5 of them should be pretty good. Florida was obviously the best team in the nation the last two years. But you're mistaken to believe that the SEC is that much better than everyone else. It's simply not true.

It sounds like you're trying to convince yourself that Auburn is capable of beating everyone left on its schedule, winning the SEC and finishing the season with the nation's highest RPI. Well, I've got news for you. I've been watching the Tigers for the last two days and -- news flash -- if OU played Auburn in a three-game series, the Sooners would probably sweep them. All that stuff I've been hearing about the Tigers having it all -- an explosive offense and a great defense -- is just more of that same old SEC hype. This weekend, Tennessee run-ruled them in the first game and is leading them 8-1 at this moment in the second game. And A&M (yes, the same A&M that used to be an also-ran in the Big 12) beat mighty Florida today.

Don't get me wrong, Spock. I believe the SEC has some really good teams. But I'm not sure Tennessee isn't actually the class of that league. And I think you know how things have gone against the Lady Vols in their history with OU.

Auburn is not going to win this series against Tennessee and the Tigers are certainly not going to win the SEC. And unless OU totally collapses in the last couple of weeks of the regular season, the Tigers and no other SEC team that is currently below OU will overtake the Sooners in RPI.

You obviously grasp nothing I have said. I never said Auburn was going to win the Tennessee series nor did I say they were going to win the SEC. My take if forced to choose is Florida will win the SEC and make it 3 in a row in OKC.

I have merely been explaining that there were teams in position to pass OU in the RPI if they took care of business. Today Auburn self destructed. In 45 games they walked 118 batters (2.6/g) prior to today. Today they have walked 20 batter (10+/g) and the game is still going. For the year in 45 games they had made 40 errors (0.88/g). Today they have 6 errors (3/g). Against good teams if you bring your "C" game you will get thumped and Auburn got really thumped.

But my logic is still valid although it would appear one of the teams with the opportunity to pass OU has fallen by the wayside and I think it was the team with the best opportunity. Going into next weeks game will be #4 Alabama which closes against #19 Georgia that could jump OU. If they get a sweep over the Bulldogs and win the SEC tournament with 5 wins against top 20 teams and they will have a good shot at passing OU in the RPI unless the Sooners win out. It is not a guarantee but Bama could have a shot if they win out. Also the Tide did win their series with #1 Florida in Gainsville.

You obviously grasp nothing I have said. I never said Auburn was going to win the Tennessee series nor did I say they were going to win the SEC. My take if forced to choose is Florida will win the SEC and make it 3 in a row in OKC.

I have merely been explaining that there were teams in position to pass OU in the RPI if they took care of business. Today Auburn self destructed. In 45 games they walked 118 batters (2.6/g) prior to today. Today they have walked 20 batter (10+/g) and the game is still going. For the year in 45 games they had made 40 errors (0.88/g). Today they have 6 errors (3/g). Against good teams if you bring your "C" game you will get thumped and Auburn got really thumped.

But my logic is still valid although it would appear one of the teams with the opportunity to pass OU has fallen by the wayside and I think it was the team with the best opportunity. Going into next weeks game will be #4 Alabama which closes against #19 Georgia that could jump OU. If they get a sweep over the Bulldogs and win the SEC tournament with 5 wins against top 20 teams and they will have a good shot at passing OU in the RPI unless the Sooners win out. It is not a guarantee but Bama could have a shot if they win out. Also the Tide did win their series with #1 Florida in Gainsville.

FWIW, I agree with you. OU did not help themselves this weekend because they were playing a lousy ISU team. Yeah, they swept but ISU was #172 in the RPI. The Tennessee win looks much bigger than it did. It is a huge game on Wednesday at Tulsa.

Newsflash!!

Game 1 Tennessee 10 Auburn 2 Run Rule in 5 innings

Game 2 Tennessee 12 Auburn 1 Run Rule in 5 Innings

Looking Good for the Sooners. Bama lost a game against South Carolina. Locking in that 3 spot.

Florida lost today at A&M 6-4.

The Bama loss to to South Carolina is big for the Sooners but it won't hurt the Tide to much, unlike an OU loss to #40 OSU or #62 Tech because Alabama still has the Georgia (#19) series and the SEC tournament with multiple opportunities to beat multiple top ten and top 20 schools and better their RPI. OU, unlike SEC members, has no opportunities to overcome a bad loss with important victories the rest of the regular season and with no conference tournament. A concept that appears to slip by scrybe.

Nobody despises the SEC more than I do be it football, softball, gymnastics and baseball as it is SEC teams that present the biggest barrier to OU's success on the national level. The SEC has won 8 of the last 10 football championships and been the runner-up twice. They have won 10 of the last 12 women's gymnastics championships and had 4 of the last 8 runner-ups. They have won 3 of the last 4 softball championships and had 6 of the last 10 finalist. They have also won 4 of the last 7 baseball championships and had 8 of the last 14 finalist. Also they have won the last 3 men's golf championships and 3 of the last 5 women's tennis championships. I call that domination and I do not like to be dominated.

There is a reason why SEC schools start out so high in the rankings and they further justify their rankings with successes on the field, on the court, in the gym and on the course that culminates with national championships. It is what it is. Damn it!!!

Yeah, I expect Tennessee to move into the top 10 and possibly challenge for the top 8 but I doubt they advance that far as Auburn might stay in the top 10 if they win today.

Last edited:
Of the top ten, only Michigan, Oregon, Florida State, and Oklahoma came through the week unscathed.

James Madison lost 5-4 in 15 to Elon.
Louisiana-Lafayette lost 2-0 to Georgia Southern
Auburn was run-ruled twice by Tennessee. Third game today.
Bama lost to South Carolina.
Washington lost to Utah.
Florida lost to Texas A&M.

The next six in the rpi are:
11 Missouri: swept Mississippi State at Starkville
12. Kentucky: week off
13. Tennessee: two-run ruled wins over Auburn, third today
14. Baylor: swept Texas Tech in Lubbock, two run-ruled games
15. LSU: swept Arkansas in Fayetteville
16. UCLA: swept Arizona State in LA

OU''s team ERA was lowered to 2.40 (2.3953) which puts us at about #29.

Big twelve
12-1 Oklahoma
13-4 Baylor
7-7 Texas
5-7 Kansas
6-9 Texas Tech
4-9 Oklahoma State
1-11 Iowa State

Oklahoma at Texas Tech
Iowa State at Texas
Kansas at Oklahoma State

Of the top ten, only Michigan, Oregon, Florida State, and Oklahoma came through the week unscathed.

James Madison lost 5-4 in 15 to Elon.
Louisiana-Lafayette lost 2-0 to Georgia Southern
Auburn was run-ruled twice by Tennessee. Third game today.
Bama lost to South Carolina.
Washington lost to Utah.
Florida lost to Texas A&M.

The next six in the rpi are:
11 Missouri: swept Mississippi State at Starkville
12. Kentucky: week off
13. Tennessee: two-run ruled wins over Auburn, third today
14. Baylor: swept Texas Tech in Lubbock, two run-ruled games
15. LSU: swept Arkansas in Fayetteville
16. UCLA: swept Arizona State in LA

OU''s team ERA was lowered to 2.40 (2.3953) which puts us at about #29.

Great results for the Sooners this gives us a great chance to close the season with the longest winning streak of any school to end the season. Now we just need to go get it done.

We need to finish at #3 and put ourselves in the bracket opposite Michigan and playing the #6 team in the first round of the WCWS. I think this affords us the best chance to make the finals. It will be probably 2 weeks before we have any idea of who the #6 team will be after the shakeup in the lower half of the top ten ranking this weekend.

At this point James Madison, Florida State, Tennessee, Auburn, Washington, Missouri, Kentucky, Oregon and Louisiana Lafayette all appear to be contenders. Of the top contenders I think I would prefer OU play Washington or Oregon because of their era. Have grave concerns about James Madison's starting pitching.

Article had this interesting take on OU:

"(Had it been) ranked No. 7 or No. 8 by the committee, (OU) would have been in danger of being passed regardless of how it closed the season. Instead ranked No. 3, that remaining schedule actually works to its advantage. All of its remaining opponents are currently ranked in the RPI top 100, although none are in the top 30. That doesn't do much for enhancing a résumé, but it is ideal for holding steady. Which may be all Sooners need to do."

My point all along has been that being a member of the Big 12 does not, in itself, harm the Sooners' chances at a high RPI. I agree that being a member of the SEC enhances a team's chances. But in the final tally, any team with OU's record, strength of schedule, and great head-to-head record against highly rated SEC teams, will be rewarded with a high seeding. For the Sooners, it's simply a matter of maintaining from here on out.

This just points out that Patty's strategy of going west early to play highly ranked teams is the way OU must go. It gives (gave) experience to the freshmen and got us some quality wins without which we would not be in the running for hosting a regional much a super regional. The gamble paid off big time. Actually her recruiting eye was spot on.

This just points out that Patty's strategy of going west early to play highly ranked teams is the way OU must go. It gives (gave) experience to the freshmen and got us some quality wins without which we would not be in the running for hosting a regional much a super regional. The gamble paid off big time. Actually her recruiting eye was spot on.

I agree. I also think Patty's Sooners could have accomplished the same thing by going east and playing some of those highly ranked teams, including some SEC teams.
OU would have taken some early lumps, what with Paige ailing and the freshmen still getting their feet wet. That's what happened out West as well.

Article had this interesting take on OU:

"(Had it been) ranked No. 7 or No. 8 by the committee, (OU) would have been in danger of being passed regardless of how it closed the season. Instead ranked No. 3, that remaining schedule actually works to its advantage. All of its remaining opponents are currently ranked in the RPI top 100, although none are in the top 30. That doesn't do much for enhancing a résumé, but it is ideal for holding steady. Which may be all Sooners need to do."

My point all along has been that being a member of the Big 12 does not, in itself, harm the Sooners' chances at a high RPI. I agree that being a member of the SEC enhances a team's chances. But in the final tally, any team with OU's record, strength of schedule, and great head-to-head record against highly rated SEC teams, will be rewarded with a high seeding. For the Sooners, it's simply a matter of maintaining from here on out.

My point exactly OU's strength of schedule is not enhanced by playing the the B12 it is held back instead because of its absence of strength of schedule. It is Patty's foresight that overcomes this conference weakness by her scheduling multiple top 15 teams on her journey out west (11 this year).

She would have difficulty going east because, unlike Patty, the SEC teams only schedule a couple if strong non-conference opponents in their non-conference schedule because they know they will get the needed strength of schedule for RPI late in the conference season and conference tournament when it will best prepares their teams for the NCAA's. Moreover, Patty's ability to recruit top California talent where she has major recruiting contacts would be somewhat minimized if she were not annually playing about 15 games on the west coast allowing those players to play in front of friends and family every year.

Not so in the B12 when you end your season against ISU, Tech and OSU which are not the type teams that prepare you for the post season. That type of schedule allows you to only drop in the ranking with a unfortunate loss and provide opportunity for the team to play down to the level of the competition. Conversely the SEC is steel on steel sharpening your edge for the post season.

Give credit where credit is due. OU is an annual national contender because Patty effectively overcomes the barriers provided by playing in the B12 and she does it virtually every year.

My point exactly OU's strength of schedule is not enhanced by playing the the B12 it is held back instead because of its absence of strength of schedule. It is Patty's foresight that overcomes this conference weakness by her scheduling multiple top 15 teams on her journey out west (11 this year).

She would have difficulty going east because, unlike Patty, the SEC teams only schedule a couple if strong non-conference opponents in their non-conference schedule because they know they will get the needed strength of schedule for RPI late in the conference season and conference tournament when it will best prepares their teams for the NCAA's. Moreover, Patty's ability to recruit top California talent where she has major recruiting contacts would be somewhat minimized if she were not annually playing about 15 games on the west coast allowing those players to play in front of friends and family every year.

Not so in the B12 when you end your season against ISU, Tech and OSU which are not the type teams that prepare you for the post season. That type of schedule allows you to only drop in the ranking with a unfortunate loss and provide opportunity for the team to play down to the level of the competition. Conversely the SEC is steel on steel sharpening your edge for the post season.

Give credit where credit is due. OU is an annual national contender because Patty effectively overcomes the barriers provided by playing in the B12 and she does it virtually every year.

+1

When have I ever claimed that OU's strength of schedule is "enhanced" by playing in the Big 12?

I've only attempted to interject some logic and common sense – not to mention one incontrovertible fact – to counter your insistence that the Big 12 has dragged down the Sooners' RPI. I've maintained quite correctly – and will continue to do so until I've been provided facts that prove otherwise – that playing in the Big 12 has had no adverse effect on the Sooners' RPI this season. Only two teams in all of softball have a better RPI than OU and are rated higher than the Sooners in the standings released this weekend by the NCAA Division 1 softball committee. And just one of those teams, I might add, resides in the SEC.

According to the experts (not the media), the top three programs in Division 1 softball are Florida (SEC), Michigan (Big 10) and Oklahoma (Big 12). So, am I missing something here, or did scrybe and the NCAA softball committee just run-rule those two famous Sooners, Spock and Norm?

I do think it is a detriment to be associated with the Big Twelve, in almost every sport. I find it interesting that a conference title in wrestling didn't even qualify a contender for an NCAA berth last year, and the Big Eight had dominated wrestling for years. We are aboard a lifeboat that has no ability to make it to a reliable shore.

But, I'm not sure that travel to California has a lot to do with why California girls come to OU. They also go to Texas, and Texas rarely plays outside of Austin. Florida and Tennessee have a lot of California girls, and they go back for about five games a year. Mostly, they stay in Florida and Georgia for tournaments. Similarly, Alabama has a great number of Texans (a couple of California girls), and I'm not sure they are there because Bama plays A&M. Oregon has girls from all over. Girls just like to go places to college. UCLA is mostly home-grown.

I'm a little surprised at the rpi this week. James Madison only fell to #9 after losing to Elon, and Louisiana-Lafayette only fell to #11 with their loss to Georgia Southern. Auburn's losses did drop them down to #7, but Tennessee didn't jump up at all. Florida State seemed to benefit most, and Florida's loss meant nothing.

Some keys to the season:

Shay Knighten's game-winning home run against Alabama.

Osorio and Paige were locked in a duel. Osorio had pitched a no-hit game entering the seventh. Romero led off with a single---one key hit. Wodach popped out. Knighten followed with a home run. At a time when we were struggling to overcome some early season losses and establish ourselves, it was important to beat Alabama to get some positive momentum. This gave us some attitude, and I'm not sure that we had any previously.

Caleigh Clifton's grand slam against Kansas.

Kansas led 2-0 entering the bottom of the seventh in our first conference challenge. We got a run and loaded the bases. Clifton hadn't shown power, and I was elated that she hit a long fly ball. At least it was deep enough to score the tying run. Fortunately, it was a bit deeper than that.

Romero's home run against Baylor.

Baylor had already had four hits. We had wasted a leadoff double by Self. We hadn't hit the ball well at all. But, Romero broke the scoring ice with a long home run to give OU a 1-0 lead. Nirschl and Miller later had two-run shots. The Romero home run was the icebreaker in the series that took us from #14 to the top ten in rpi.

Self's grand slam against Baylor.

Once again, Stearns and Paige battled for seven scoreless innings. Self's home run in the eighth was all of the scoring, and Baylor had now lost two of three to the only challenger they had, Oklahoma.

Pendley's three run shot against Baylor

Again, we were fighting against a stubborn Baylor team. They had taken a 3-2 lead, and we countered with the bottom of the lineup in the fifth. Pendley had not been hitting with power all year. This time, she showed what she had shown last year. She has the power to go deep at any time. The 5-3 lead almost froze Baylor out. They got back a run, but we sealed it with two in the seventh. This was the series that really resulted in us being #3 a week later.

If you look at the Big Twelve statistics, Baylor dominates. We are fourth in the conference in home runs. But, we hit five of our thirteen in-conference home runs against Baylor.

Patty has taken the team west almost every year she's been in Norman. I think the last 8-10 years we are going more than before, usually 3 times.

I'm still not understanding the difference this year in RPI versus last year. We played a strong schedule last year and faced 4 or 5 SEC teams (Georgia, Kentucky, LSU(2), Arkansas). We were ranked highly in polls and low in RPI. This year is about the opposite after again, playing a strong schedule and not as many SEC teams (Alabama, Tennessee, Arkansas). I'd also argue that Big 12 is overall weaker this year versus last, although not a lot of difference.

When have I ever claimed that OU's strength of schedule is "enhanced" by playing in the Big 12?

I've only attempted to interject some logic and common sense – not to mention one incontrovertible fact – to counter your insistence that the Big 12 has dragged down the Sooners' RPI. I've maintained quite correctly – and will continue to do so until I've been provided facts that prove otherwise – that playing in the Big 12 has had no adverse effect on the Sooners' RPI this season. Only two teams in all of softball have a better RPI than OU and are rated higher than the Sooners in the standings released this weekend by the NCAA Division 1 softball committee. And just one of those teams, I might add, resides in the SEC.

According to the experts (not the media), the top three programs in Division 1 softball are Florida (SEC), Michigan (Big 10) and Oklahoma (Big 12). So, am I missing something here, or did scrybe and the NCAA softball committee just run-rule those two famous Sooners, Spock and Norm?

You have never said the playing in the B12 enhanced OU's strength of schedule. Nor have I said that you made that statement. You have made the following statement " I've maintained quite correctly – and will continue to do so until I've been provided facts that prove otherwise – that playing in the Big 12 has had no adverse effect on the Sooners' RPI this season."

First you have already proven you do not comprehend facts when presented to you that prove the impact the B12 has on OU's RPI. The concept of the RPI is when you play a team that is ranked higher in RPI your strength of schedule goes up win or lose. When you play a team with a lower RPI your RPI goes down win or lose. You got that!

The RPI factors are 25% winning percentage, 50% strength of schedule of your opponents (whether you win or lose) and 25% your opponents opponents strength of schedule (whether your opponent beat them or not). Have you got that? The only place winning matter is the 25% winning percentage allowed for each team. It means the strength of schedule of OU's B12 opponents are major contributors to 50% of OU's RPI rating and it means that the strength of schedule of your B12 opponents B12 opponents are major contributors to 25% of your RPI ranking.

Thus 75% of OU's strength of schedule is heavily impacted by the B12 members strength of schedule. OU has 7 conference members that play softball. Using today's RPI ranking the average of OU's B12 opponents RPI ranking is 60. The average RPI for the Pac12 is 34 and the average RPI ranking for the SEC is 20.

Do you not think that OU's RPI is significantly lower because they have to play 6 teams with an average RPI of 60 while Pac12 and SEC schools get a higher RPI for playing conference schools with an average RPI of 34 and 20. Is so you have no grasp of how the RPI works and it is doubtful you will ever be able to understand how it works because obviously a little simple math is over your head.

Furthermore the more highly ranked teams you play the higher your RPI is because of their high strength of schedule and their opponents strength of schedule. Again the B12 deprives OU of the opportunity to play against highly ranked opponents in a conference tournament and that hurts OU's RPI.

At the same time Pac12 and SEC schools get that conference tournament opportunity to elevate their RPI and either separate themselves from OU or narrow the gap between them and OU. Perhaps with the opportunity to overtake the Sooners as it appears Alabama has if all the cards fall their way. It is only a slight opportunity but an opportunity anyway.

As Speedy 17 reminded us it was not always that way when the B12 had Nebraska, aTm and Missouri in the conference we were a strong softball conference. Were we to have three more schools today with #10, #18 and #32 it would raise our average RPI from 60 to 47. It would give us ten teams playing softball and a conference tournament between the top 8 teams with rankings of 3, 10, 14, 18, 31, 32, 40 and 44 would provide the opportunity for the conference winner and perhaps a couple or three or four to further elevate their RPI enough to qualify in the post season. Instead all B12 schools will be disadvantaged with lower RPI's for playing in the B12.

With this statement I leave this tread and you with your folly.

Last edited:
Back