Softball

I actually thought Paige Parker was a superstar last year. I remember her receiving a lot of media attention and several different awards. I thought she was probably better than Keilani after last season.

Because she hasn't received any B12POW awards, ( and I do believe
if you are a great pitcher then the fact that the rest of the team is good
is not going to deflect from how good you are because it is more an individual thing), and I hadn't seen as much said or written about her I thought she wasn't having as good of a year. It appears from the stats
you have presented that she has. It does make me curious about no POW
awards for her after having several last year.

Remember there is a Big 12 Pitcher of the Week Award and a Big 12 Player of the Week Award. I think Shay Knighton won the Player of the Week Award. Pitchers usually do not get the Player of the Week Award.

Paige has received 3 Big 12 Pitcher of the Week Awards this year. That is 30% of the total rewards. I think she is a great pitcher and one of the best ever at OU, however, I don't know that anybody will ever be as good at OU as Keilani. That is a tall task. Keilani slowed down throwing to gain additional control just like Paige but the difference was 68-70 mph compared to 64-66 mph. She also had an out pitch that was virtually unhittable by lefties - the "Cropduster." Her worst ERA at OU was as a soph at 1.48. She was 1.24 as a frosh, 1.08 as a junior, and 1.10 as a senior. She went 27-1 as a senior. She was also the two time national player of the year.

My point is that Paige compares incredibly with her counterparts and is unquestionably an All American and one of the most feared pitchers in softball but better than Ricketts is a tall order. Ricketts was a historic figure. That is why most softball people believe that 2013 OU softball team might be the best team ever. They had Shults (3 time All American, Chamberlain (4 time All American), Shelby Pendley (3 time All American), Briana Turang (All Amerian) and a second pitcher Michelle Gascoigne who led the nation in ERA (0.91). In short, they were like the softball version of the 1927 Yankees.

Last edited:
Tickets are still available for the Tech game on Sunday. The other 3 home games are sold out.

Remember there is a Big 12 Pitcher of the Week Award and a Big 12 Player of the Week Award. I think Shay Knighton won the Player of the Week Award. Pitchers usually do not get the Player of the Week Award.

Paige has received 3 Big 12 Pitcher of the Week Awards this year. That is 30% of the total rewards. I think she is a great pitcher and one of the best ever at OU, however, I don't know that anybody will ever be as good at OU as Keilani. That is a tall task. Keilani slowed down throwing to gain additional control just like Paige but the difference was 68-70 mph compared to 64-66 mph. She also had an out pitch that was virtually unhittable by lefties - the "Cropduster." Her worst ERA at OU was as a soph at 1.48. She was 1.24 as a frosh, 1.08 as a junior, and 1.10 as a senior. She went 27-1 as a senior. She was also the two time national player of the year.

My point is that Paige compares incredibly with her counterparts and is unquestionably an All American and one of the most feared pitchers in softball but better than Ricketts is a tall order. Ricketts was a historic figure. That is why most softball people believe that 2013 OU softball team might be the best team ever. They had Shults (3 time All American, Chamberlain (4 time All American), Shelby Pendley (3 time All American), Briana Turang (All Amerian) and a second pitcher Michelle Gascoigne who led the nation in ERA (0.91). In short, they were like the softball version of the 1927 Yankees.

I am convinced. I may have realized at one time that there were the two awards for the week - player and pitcher but had forgotten. Think I just need to read and not ask so many questions because I am really not sufficiently knowledgeable enough about the game. It is the different pitches that I know nothing about. I don't really see the difference in the pitches if I am watching. On a slow replay, of course, but otherwise not usually. I can tell when it is a fast ball that blows by. Now I am really curious about the pitches. Think I will do some studying on youtube so I can actually see these different pitches.

I do remember the 2012 and 2013 teams. Thought both were really great. Basically the same teams with Senior Java Henson playing on the 2012 team.
Of course, the 2013 team was more experienced. Those were fun seasons for OU Softball fans. I had high expectations for 2014 and 2015 but Lauren's injury did not help in 2014 but we still made it to the WCWS. 2015 almost made it to WCWS. It would have helped to have the 2014 Kelsey Stevens to pitch along with Paige. Okay, so much for nostalgia. Just looking forward to the rest of this season.

I am convinced. I may have realized at one time that there were the two awards for the week - player and pitcher but had forgotten. Think I just need to read and not ask so many questions because I am really not sufficiently knowledgeable enough about the game. It is the different pitches that I know nothing about. I don't really see the difference in the pitches if I am watching. On a slow replay, of course, but otherwise not usually. I can tell when it is a fast ball that blows by. Now I am really curious about the pitches. Think I will do some studying on youtube so I can actually see these different pitches.

I do remember the 2012 and 2013 teams. Thought both were really great. Basically the same teams with Senior Java Henson playing on the 2012 team.
Of course, the 2013 team was more experienced. Those were fun seasons for OU Softball fans. I had high expectations for 2014 and 2015 but Lauren's injury did not help in 2014 but we still made it to the WCWS. 2015 almost made it to WCWS. It would have helped to have the 2014 Kelsey Stevens to pitch along with Paige. Okay, so much for nostalgia. Just looking forward to the rest of this season.

You are completely right. Javen Henson started at 2nd base in 2014 and did a great job. Lauren was out after the Tulsa game that she hit a homer to win 1-0 and missed six weeks. Stevens pitched incredibly and won 38 games in 2014. However, the current team and the 2015 team were much better than the 2014 team. OU got a bad break having to go to Bama last year and in 2014 the coaches thought OU might lose their streak of being ranked. However, they pulled it together and won the conference, the regional in Norman, and beat Tennessee in the Supers on the way to the WWCS.

I am really glad that you are taking interest in softball. I only wrote that thing about Keilani because it is just amazing how good she really was at OU.

I only wrote that thing about Keilani because it is just amazing how good she really was at OU.

I agree, Speedy. Keilani Ricketts was the best pitcher in the history of the OU program. And in 2012 and 2013 she was the most dominant pitcher in the NCAA. Those two Sooner teams were loaded – not just in the circle – and should have won back-to-back CWS titles.

Alabama's little display during the rain delay of the 2012 CWS game was shameful. But I suppose the Tide did what was necessary to steal a victory, and ultimately the CWS title. I've had nothing but disdain for that program ever since, though maybe I should blame the NCAA officials for allowing it to happen.

Paige Parker is a great pitcher and she's only gotten better since her remarkable rookie season. She's not quite Ricketts' equal at this point in her career, but she's not far behind with her combination of speed, movement and control.

I agree, Speedy. Keilani Ricketts was the best pitcher in the history of the OU program. And in 2012 and 2013 she was the most dominant pitcher in the NCAA. Those two Sooner teams were loaded – not just in the circle – and should have won back-to-back CWS titles.

Alabama's little display during the rain delay of the 2012 CWS game was shameful. But I suppose the Tide did what was necessary to steal a victory, and ultimately the CWS title. I've had nothing but disdain for that program ever since, though maybe I should blame the NCAA officials for allowing it to happen.

Paige Parker is a great pitcher and she's only gotten better since her remarkable rookie season. She's not quite Ricketts' equal at this point in her career, but she's not far behind with her combination of speed, movement and control.

Good post! I definitely agree about Bamer and NCAA!

If you compare anyone to Keilani, they are going to come out short but Paige is one of the top pitchers Patty has ever had at OU and she's just a sophomore. I think she started out of the gate slow due to injury but she's responded well since. I also think she can get better her junior and senior years!

The game was televised on ESPN. Who is the ESPN conference?

If you watched the pro game this past summer, Monica Abbott is the definitive pitcher right now. I don't think she won a title when at Tennessee. But, she is almost unhittable right now. She is tall, 6-0 or more, and has a windup that bends to the waist while delivering upright. All that motion just blows people away.

Right now, Michelle is as good as Keilani. This past year was the last for the second best pitcher in the game right now---Cat Osterman.

The game was televised on ESPN. Who is the ESPN conference?

If you watched the pro game this past summer, Monica Abbott is the definitive pitcher right now. I don't think she won a title when at Tennessee. But, she is almost unhittable right now. She is tall, 6-0 or more, and has a windup that bends to the waist while delivering upright. All that motion just blows people away.

Right now, Michelle is as good as Keilani. This past year was the last for the second best pitcher in the game right now---Cat Osterman.

Agree on all counts. Abbott, the Million Dollar lady, is without a doubt the best pitcher in softball currently. And no, she never won a title at Tennessee (as the Lady Vols have never won a title).

But Abbott and Ricketts weren't pitchers in college at the same time. No one was as good as Keilani (in the college ranks) when she was a junior and senior. And Michelle may very well have been the second best pitcher in the country behind Keilani in 2013.

Osterman was also a stud at UT. Can't recall, and I'm too lazy to look it up, if Cat and Monica Abbott were pitching in college at the same time.

Last edited:
Agree on all counts. Abbott, the Million Dollar lady, is without a doubt the best pitcher in softball currently. And no, she never won a title at Tennessee (as the Lady Vols have never won a title).

But Abbott and Ricketts weren't pitchers in college at the same time. No one was as good as Keilani (in the college ranks) when she was a junior and senior. And Michelle may very well have been the second best pitcher in the country behind Keilani in 2013.

Osterman was also a stud at UT. Can't recall, and I'm too lazy to look it up, if Cat and Monica Abbott were pitching in college at the same time.

Cat and Monica had an overlap. Cat pitched for Texas between 02 and 06 with a year off in 2004 for the Olympics. Monica pitched for Tennessee between 04 and 07. She is also currently throwing 80+ MPH.

What in the world was disgraceful about their display? I was at that game and have no love for Bama. What I saw was a team who was in the moment, didn't care about the rain but was enjoying everything about where they were. IN the meantime, OU was stuck in the dugout and complaining about the rain. I agree Bama stole all the momentum from that game, took it and ran with it to a victory. Kudos to them for taking a bad situation and turning it into something to motivate them. I like to think OU learned something from the experience.

What in the world was disgraceful about their display? I was at that game and have no love for Bama. What I saw was a team who was in the moment, didn't care about the rain but was enjoying everything about where they were. IN the meantime, OU was stuck in the dugout and complaining about the rain. I agree Bama stole all the momentum from that game, took it and ran with it to a victory. Kudos to them for taking a bad situation and turning it into something to motivate them. I like to think OU learned something from the experience.
The way that Bama used the rain was very unsportsmanlike. Prior to the rain, Keilani was shutting down Bama totally. But, the rain generated a slick ball and mound which was very detrimental to a pitcher that was dependent on a good grip and used her feet in a motion that allowed her to throw a couple of unhittable pitches. Suddenly, Bama had a way to get to Keilani, something that they could not do.

Under normal circumstances, you do not play softball and baseball in the rain, any more than you play basketball in the rain, which they often did prior to the advent of gymnasiums. But, Bama recognized that they had an advantage if they could force this game to be concluded today, rather than suspended until after the rain. The usual situation would be to resume after the rain has subsided, and the field has been cleared.

Now, why was this procedure not used? First, it was televised by ESPN, the SEC network. But, they wanted to continue that day since it fit their schedule. If they had operated as usual, they would not have been able to televise the end of the game within their scheduling. So, Bama wanted an advantage, and ESPN wanted to televise the end of the game on THEIR schedule. Both wanted a different type of procedure than was normally used in softball or baseball.

We just played a game against Tulsa. The game had been delayed twice by rain. We didn't just play it in the rain. We stayed in Ames an extra day in order to complete a series, after rescheduling the first day into a double header---because you don't play in the rain. The third game of the Auburn/Tennessee series this past weekend was CANCELLED as opposed to playing in the rain. These are the normal and acceptable ways to handle rain.

Why were such delays until the weather was dry not employed in that game? When have you seen a baseball game played in the rain? In fact, it is considered dangerous since the slick ball may result in a batter being hit in the head by a pitch. Why were the usual rules not followed?

Thanks, syb. I was getting ready to respond to that "question" before I saw your post. Your explanation was right on the money.

I must admit, however, that it amazes me that anyone could have witnessed that display by the Alabama team, and the circumstances in which it occurred, and claim not to understand why some of us considered it shameful.

The way that Bama used the rain was very unsportsmanlike. Prior to the rain, Keilani was shutting down Bama totally. But, the rain generated a slick ball and mound which was very detrimental to a pitcher that was dependent on a good grip and used her feet in a motion that allowed her to throw a couple of unhittable pitches. Suddenly, Bama had a way to get to Keilani, something that they could not do.

Under normal circumstances, you do not play softball and baseball in the rain, any more than you play basketball in the rain, which they often did prior to the advent of gymnasiums. But, Bama recognized that they had an advantage if they could force this game to be concluded today, rather than suspended until after the rain. The usual situation would be to resume after the rain has subsided, and the field has been cleared.

Now, why was this procedure not used? First, it was televised by ESPN, the SEC network. But, they wanted to continue that day since it fit their schedule. If they had operated as usual, they would not have been able to televise the end of the game within their scheduling. So, Bama wanted an advantage, and ESPN wanted to televise the end of the game on THEIR schedule. Both wanted a different type of procedure than was normally used in softball or baseball.

We just played a game against Tulsa. The game had been delayed twice by rain. We didn't just play it in the rain. We stayed in Ames an extra day in order to complete a series, after rescheduling the first day into a double header---because you don't play in the rain. The third game of the Auburn/Tennessee series this past weekend was CANCELLED as opposed to playing in the rain. These are the normal and acceptable ways to handle rain.

Why were such delays until the weather was dry not employed in that game? When have you seen a baseball game played in the rain? In fact, it is considered dangerous since the slick ball may result in a batter being hit in the head by a pitch. Why were the usual rules not followed?

Probably for the same reason they were not followed in Ames, IA this past Sunday. In case you have forgotten check the link below starting at about the 1:20 mark. Of course OU wanted to get that game in as they needed as many wins as possible going into the NCAA's. Conditions were infinitely better in OKC in 2012 than in Ames Sunday.

I too would have stopped the game in 2012 but have seen the game played in worse conditions just not for a championship game. But you cannot fault Bama for making every attempt to win the game and making Keilani throw in the ran was definitely to Bama's advantage. If you want to point a finger point it at the refs. It is their call and you don't like refs anyway.

http://www.soonersports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=31000&id=5341421

Last edited:
Probably for the same reason they were not followed in Ames, IA this past Sunday. In case you have forgotten check the link below starting at about the 1:20 mark. Of course OU wanted to get that game in as they needed as many wins as possible going into the NCAA's. Conditions were infinitely better in OKC in 2012 than in Ames Sunday.

I too would have stopped the game but have seen the game played in worse conditions just not for a championship game. But you cannot fault Bama for making every attempt to win the game and making Keilani throw in the ran was definitely to Bama's advantage. If you want to point a finger point it at the refs. It is their call and you don't like refs anyway.

http://www.soonersports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=31000&id=5341421

Exactly! Some fans whine about the opposing team, or the weather or the umpires or the NCAA when we lose but not a peep about those things when we win. SMH

Question for Norm and Spock (or anyone else who cares to respond):

Would Patty have instructed her players to do what Alabama did if the roles had been reversed? Serious question.

It just so happened that rain didnt much affect the Alabama pitcher who threw riseballs but did badly affect Kelani. As it happens we dont hit a rise ball very well anyway. We spent a month last week(it seemed longer) in Ames, Iowa in the rain and won but it wasnt pretty.

The Bama team had no say over if or when to postpone the game due to rain. Keilani was doing her best to get them to suspend it. I remember her complaining about the conditions during the game. I don't fault the Bama players for playing in the rain. Sure they used that rain delay to their advantage to finish getting into the head of an already upset opposing pitcher. As I sat there in the rain watching, I was wondering why we weren't doing the same thing. OU didn't adapt to the circumstances, Bama did. Part of the game is psyching the other team out. It is in every sport. It was only "shameful" because it wasn't us.

The Bama team had no say over if or when to postpone the game due to rain. Keilani was doing her best to get them to suspend it. I remember her complaining about the conditions during the game. I don't fault the Bama players for playing in the rain. Sure they used that rain delay to their advantage to finish getting into the head of an already upset opposing pitcher. As I sat there in the rain watching, I was wondering why we weren't doing the same thing. OU didn't adapt to the circumstances, Bama did. Part of the game is psyching the other team out. It is in every sport. It was only "shameful" because it wasn't us.

You, Spock, and Norm are completely wrong.

First, the rules do instruct the officials that a game is not to be played at times in which the conditions might result in injury to the players. Yes, it was the officials' error.

Secondly, we didn't need to play in Ames in order to get sufficient games to quality, and we certainly, according to that idea, could have played in the rain rather than staying an extra day. Instead, we moved up the schedule to include a double header and remained in Ames an extra day in an attempt to avoid playing in bad conditions.

Thirdly, it may be "intelligent' to psych out the opposition. But, it is not sportsmanlike to try to force the opposition to play under conditions that give you an advantage. They are to blame for unsportsmanlike behavior.

Fourthly, the second blame, other than the umpires who did not follow the rules of the NCAA, was that of ESPN who wanted the game to be played today so it could be televised. That may have also been the NCAA who wanted to have it televised. Whoever made that decision was at blame.

We just had a weekend with games called, postponed, suspended, rescheduled, and cancelled all over the nation due to weather. But, a championship game is to be played under adverse conditions?

Back