RF Kierra Miles JR 340 11 doubles, 17 home runs, 50 rbis
1B Brittany Warnecke JR 303 8 doubles, 7 home runs, 24 rbi
2B Kirsten Schwirtlich SR 274 5 doubles, 7 home runs
SS Brooke Scott SR 250
C Susan Welborn JR 250 5 doubles, 10 home runs, 28 rbi
LF Kiani Ramsey FR 355 7 doubles, 4 triples, 17 walks

Mattison Maisel JR RHP 7-11 5.00 allowed 189 hits in 147 innings. 43K, 51 BB
Cheyenne Powell SOPH RHP 6-6 5.61 allowed 109 hits in 88.2 innings, 33K 50 BB
Dominique Alcocer JR RHP 8-11 6.22 allowed 124 hits in 86.2 innings, 38 K, 56 BB

It just so happened that rain didnt much affect the Alabama pitcher who threw riseballs but did badly affect Kelani. As it happens we dont hit a rise ball very well anyway. We spent a month last week(it seemed longer) in Ames, Iowa in the rain and won but it wasnt pretty.

You're right that recent OU teams have not hit riseballs very well. But in all fairness to the Sooners, I don't know of many other teams that hit riseballs very well at all. When the pitch is thrown correctly, it's one of the most difficult to hit.

The key to having any success against a riseball pitcher is not going after pitches that sail way out of the strike zone. Disciplined hitters – like those in OU's current starting lineup – don't normally chase pitches that are a foot out of the zone. That's why riseball pitchers have not bothered the Sooners as much this season. In the recent past, OU had great hitters, but many of them were free swingers who were susceptible to riseballs that sailed out of the zone.

Paige has developed a very good riseball this season. And it's effective because its not so high that batters won't go after it. It looks really tempting as it nears the batters box, but it's high enough when it crosses the plate that batters have a hard time catching up to it.

A key factor of the effectiveness of a rise ball is whether you are getting the high pitch called. Often, you see surprise on the part of hitters when a called third strike is shoulder high on the outside corner. Usually, that isn't called. If the umpire is giving the high pitch, there is a tendency to swing at high pitches.

The effective rise ball pitchers keep most pitches somewhere near the top of the zone. The strikeout pitch is often a little higher and is not a strike. Just keep edging it up on a hitter---and an umpire.

Paige and Kelsey both throw a rise. Kelsey rarely gets the call. Paige sometimes does. But, neither use it the way that a Traina, Osorio, or Hoover do as their staple pitch. They live off of the rise, and few of their swinging strikes are strikes. Some hitters just think they can always hit something in their eyes. It is actually fairly difficult to get power off of a ball above your shoulders.

what in the world was disgraceful about their display? I was at that game and have no love for bama. What i saw was a team who was in the moment, didn't care about the rain but was enjoying everything about where they were. In the meantime, ou was stuck in the dugout and complaining about the rain. I agree bama stole all the momentum from that game, took it and ran with it to a victory. Kudos to them for taking a bad situation and turning it into something to motivate them. I like to think ou learned something from the experience.

exactly

What in the world was disgraceful about their display? I was at that game and have no love for Bama. What I saw was a team who was in the moment, didn't care about the rain but was enjoying everything about where they were. IN the meantime, OU was stuck in the dugout and complaining about the rain. I agree Bama stole all the momentum from that game, took it and ran with it to a victory. Kudos to them for taking a bad situation and turning it into something to motivate them. I like to think OU learned something from the experience.

I doubt that they would have been 'in the moment' if the rain and the slick ball hand't affected Ricketts at all. They might have been doing a 'rain dance' in the hopes that the game would be postponed and Ricketts wouldn't pitch as well after a delay.

Probably for the same reason they were not followed in Ames, IA this past Sunday. In case you have forgotten check the link below starting at about the 1:20 mark. Of course OU wanted to get that game in as they needed as many wins as possible going into the NCAA's. Conditions were infinitely better in OKC in 2012 than in Ames Sunday.

I too would have stopped the game in 2012 but have seen the game played in worse conditions just not for a championship game. But you cannot fault Bama for making every attempt to win the game and making Keilani throw in the ran was definitely to Bama's advantage. If you want to point a finger point it at the refs. It is their call and you don't like refs anyway.

http://www.soonersports.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?&db_oem_id=31000&id=5341421

The actual call on whether to suspend a game in the world series is with the ncaa softball committee. The committee was concerned about the loss of tv coverage if it was postponed. You see the umpires talking to individuals during game stoppage and it's the committee reps. They made a horrible decision. That has been discussed at committee meetings since and I doubt you see them make that mistake again. But who knows.

The actual call on whether to suspend a game in the world series is with the ncaa softball committee. The committee was concerned about the loss of tv coverage if it was postponed. You see the umpires talking to individuals during game stoppage and it's the committee reps. They made a horrible decision. That has been discussed at committee meetings since and I doubt you see them make that mistake again. But who knows.

This. Play should never have been resumed with the weather as it was. I, too, doubt we'll see a repeat of that fiasco in future college world series.

I doubt that they would have been 'in the moment' if the rain and the slick ball hand't affected Ricketts at all. They might have been doing a 'rain dance' in the hopes that the game would be postponed and Ricketts wouldn't pitch as well after a delay.
You do have to be almost deliberately naive to believe that the Alabama girls just loved being in the rain. These are probably the same girls who would ordinarily be trying to keep dry were it not for the orders of their coach to ham it up in order to show that there was no reason not to continue.

Yep.

Patti wasn't really pleased with the effort of the team between the fourth and fifth innings. We weren't swinging well, and we seemed to be going through the motions. But, this team is good enough to run-rule Texas Tech, 8-0, when not at its best. When they needed to finish off the game, they scored five in the bottom of the fifth, using a couple of beautiful squeeze bunts to drive in runs and set the table. Three successive hitters bunted or hit deep ground balls, loading the bases with one out for Erin, who singled in the seventh run, and Caleigh whose Sac Fly ended it, 8-0.

It is interesting that Patti has so often been frustrated with their focus recently, while they happen to have won 18 straight. But, they are capable of more dominance than they have shown. This team may be better than we think.

This team may be better than we think.

Yes, this Sooners team is really, really good. And it's amazing, considering there are are four freshmen and four sophomores in starting roles.

The way that Bama used the rain was very unsportsmanlike. Prior to the rain, Keilani was shutting down Bama totally. But, the rain generated a slick ball and mound which was very detrimental to a pitcher that was dependent on a good grip and used her feet in a motion that allowed her to throw a couple of unhittable pitches. Suddenly, Bama had a way to get to Keilani, something that they could not do.

Under normal circumstances, you do not play softball and baseball in the rain, any more than you play basketball in the rain, which they often did prior to the advent of gymnasiums. But, Bama recognized that they had an advantage if they could force this game to be concluded today, rather than suspended until after the rain. The usual situation would be to resume after the rain has subsided, and the field has been cleared.

Now, why was this procedure not used? First, it was televised by ESPN, the SEC network. But, they wanted to continue that day since it fit their schedule. If they had operated as usual, they would not have been able to televise the end of the game within their scheduling. So, Bama wanted an advantage, and ESPN wanted to televise the end of the game on THEIR schedule. Both wanted a different type of procedure than was normally used in softball or baseball.

We just played a game against Tulsa. The game had been delayed twice by rain. We didn't just play it in the rain. We stayed in Ames an extra day in order to complete a series, after rescheduling the first day into a double header---because you don't play in the rain. The third game of the Auburn/Tennessee series this past weekend was CANCELLED as opposed to playing in the rain. These are the normal and acceptable ways to handle rain.

Why were such delays until the weather was dry not employed in that game? When have you seen a baseball game played in the rain? In fact, it is considered dangerous since the slick ball may result in a batter being hit in the head by a pitch. Why were the usual rules not followed?

The key point is being made here. The only reason they played the game was because of the ESPN television schedule - safety did not matter.

I was there and I know that Keilani could not grip the softball. If she hits somebody in the head because of a wet ball at 70+ mph, it would not be a pretty sight. Bama was crowding the plate during the whole game.

Bottom line, you don't want to decide the national championship in the rain.

The Bama team had no say over if or when to postpone the game due to rain. Keilani was doing her best to get them to suspend it. I remember her complaining about the conditions during the game. I don't fault the Bama players for playing in the rain. Sure they used that rain delay to their advantage to finish getting into the head of an already upset opposing pitcher. As I sat there in the rain watching, I was wondering why we weren't doing the same thing. OU didn't adapt to the circumstances, Bama did. Part of the game is psyching the other team out. It is in every sport. It was only "shameful" because it wasn't us.

yep

The key point is being made here. The only reason they played the game was because of the ESPN television schedule - safety did not matter.

I was there and I know that Keilani could not grip the softball. If she hits somebody in the head because of a wet ball at 70+ mph, it would not be a pretty sight. Bama was crowding the plate during the whole game.

Bottom line, you don't want to decide the national championship in the rain.

I would think the bottom line is you don't want to decide ANY game in the rain if there is a danger to players. As you said Keilani could not grip the ball, but it seemed Traina could. I remember that game. I watched on tv at a friend's. I felt we got out-coached and our team let the situation get into their heads. We were not behind when the game resumed play. But they had the mental edge. If Keilani could not control the ball, why not put Michelle in and give her a try? Keilani could always reenter.

I felt Oklahoma would have done the same thing that Alabama did had the situation been reversed. The coaches and players weren't making the decisions as to whether the game would go on or not, but Alabama used it to their advantage both in the game and on the sidelines. Oklahoma did not.

You, Spock, and Norm are completely wrong.

First, the rules do instruct the officials that a game is not to be played at times in which the conditions might result in injury to the players. Yes, it was the officials' error.

Secondly, we didn't need to play in Ames in order to get sufficient games to quality, and we certainly, according to that idea, could have played in the rain rather than staying an extra day. Instead, we moved up the schedule to include a double header and remained in Ames an extra day in an attempt to avoid playing in bad conditions.

Thirdly, it may be "intelligent' to psych out the opposition. But, it is not sportsmanlike to try to force the opposition to play under conditions that give you an advantage. They are to blame for unsportsmanlike behavior.

Fourthly, the second blame, other than the umpires who did not follow the rules of the NCAA, was that of ESPN who wanted the game to be played today so it could be televised. That may have also been the NCAA who wanted to have it televised. Whoever made that decision was at blame.

We just had a weekend with games called, postponed, suspended, rescheduled, and cancelled all over the nation due to weather. But, a championship game is to be played under adverse conditions?

You are right on your first point it was the officials call along with the NCAA softball committee. They did not make it they succumbed to ESPN or whomever.

Secondly, the conditions in Ames were infinitely worse than OKC and the probability for injury much much greater than OKC. Patty made no attempt to get the game called even after they got the 5 innings for a complete game in. If she had fear of her players injuring themselves in Ames she did nothing to manifest the need to stop play to avoid injury to her players. She should have been making the same effort to end the ISU game that she did in OKC.

Thirdly, had the situation in the 2012 championship game been reversed with OU's pitcher effectively throwing a rise ball while Bama's pitcher was spinning the ball and having difficulty in the rain Patty would made every effort to give the Sooners the weather advantage just like Murphy did. For certain her player would have responded accordingly.

Fourthly, the NCAA softball committee, ESPN and the refs focus on completing the game to accommodate TV coverage is the fault in my opinion. Alabama making every effort within the rules of the game to win a national championship on the field of play is what they did and should have done. The rain delay was not their call it was only their desire.

You can rightly dislike Alabama all you want. I hate the whole damn SEC in multiple sports but only because they win too damn much. But I respect them for how they play the game on the field and that includes the Bama softball team.

I disagree that Patti would have made the type of attempt to have the game played in the rain as Bama did. I get the impression that Patti does have a set of ethics. I can't say the same for some schools or the coaches of those schools.

I find it interesting that after Bama made a show of attempting to get hit by standing close to the plate and making no attempt to avoid a pitch, perhaps even stepping into the pitch, that the NCAA developed some rules indicating the an attempt to avoid the pitch must be made if possible.

I assume that you are both in Ames and at the national title game so that you could appropriately assess the prospects of danger.

You are right on your first point it was the officials call along with the NCAA softball committee. They did not make it they succumbed to ESPN or whomever.

Secondly, the conditions in Ames were infinitely worse than OKC and the probability for injury much much greater than OKC. Patty made no attempt to get the game called even after they got the 5 innings for a complete game in. If she had fear of her players injuring themselves in Ames she did nothing to manifest the need to stop play to avoid injury to her players. She should have been making the same effort to end the ISU game that she did in OKC.

Thirdly, had the situation in the 2012 championship game been reversed with OU's pitcher effectively throwing a rise ball while Bama's pitcher was spinning the ball and having difficulty in the rain Patty would made every effort to give the Sooners the weather advantage just like Murphy did. For certain her player would have responded accordingly.

Fourthly, the NCAA softball committee, ESPN and the refs focus on completing the game to accommodate TV coverage is the fault in my opinion. Alabama making every effort within the rules of the game to win a national championship on the field of play is what they did and should have done. The rain delay was not their call it was only their desire.

You can rightly dislike Alabama all you want. I hate the whole damn SEC in multiple sports but only because they win too damn much. But I respect them for how they play the game on the field and that includes the Bama softball team.

I couldn't agree more. Scrybe is absolutely wrong to accuse Alabama of being shameful. They had nothing to do with making the call of whether to play or suspend. One can certainly argue the game should not have been played in those conditions but to say the Alabama coach was the one making the decision is laughable.

You make a great point about the terrible conditions in Ames. Why wasn't Patty making her case to suspend that game? No one here is complaining about that game because we won. You can bet they would be whining non-stop if we would have lost.

Last edited:
I couldn't agree more. Scrybe is absolutely wrong to accuse Alabama of being shameful. They had nothing to do with making the call of whether to play or suspend. One can certainly argue the game should not have been played in those conditions but to say the Alabama coach was the one making the decision is laughable.

You make a great point about the terrible conditions in Ames. Why wasn't Patty making her case to suspend that game? No one here is complaining about that game because we won. You can bet they would be whining non-stop if we would have lost.

Okay guys, enough is enough. You have the right to your own opinion, but you don't have the right to make up your own facts.

I challenge any of you to show where I ever stated that the Alabama coach or players were responsible for the CWS game being played under those adverse conditions. What I stated in my post was that the little display by the Alabama players during the rain delay was shameful -- and I stand by that assertion.

The lack of sportsmanship and decorum by the Alabama program is not diminished simply because a few of you want so desperately to make a few others appear to be small or petty. What happened that night in 2012 is very much like what happened a few weeks ago when the Sooners were at Waco. As you recall, the BU players lined up down one base line to try to prevent the Sooners from watching the Bears' relief pitcher take her warmups. Another example of a shameful act by a classless program.

When have you ever seen Patty Gasso instruct her players to pull anything remotely similar to the stuff I cited above? Here, let me answer that for you: You never have -- and you never will. Patty is a fierce competitor. She loves winning and she'll go to great lengths to give her team the best chance at victory. But in my opinion Patty will never abandon her class for the sake of winning a softball game.

Back