Softball

You're right, tycat. If playing in the Big 12 has ever hurt OU's RPI it was last season. Last year the Sooners were very high in the polls, but wound up surprisingly low in RPI (I think they would up around #11 or #12). And that obviously cost them a super regional assignment.

I don't pretend to know all the factors that went into the committee's decision, but I do believe the committee realized later that they got it wrong. OU won its regional, of course, and only an improbable come-from-behind win by Alabama in game three of the Tuscaloose S.R. kept the Sooners out of the world series.

Last year's OU team was as good as any team not named Florida by the time the regular season ended. But the committee was probably influenced by the mindset that since OU gets to play the CWS so close to home, the Sooners should therefore be given a tougher path than other teams to get to the CWS. This year, the committee is apparently determined not to make the same mistake twice. JMO

You're right, tycat. If playing in the Big 12 has ever hurt OU's RPI it was last season. Last year the Sooners were very high in the polls, but wound up surprisingly low in RPI (I think they would up around #11 or #12). And that obviously cost them a super regional assignment.

I don't pretend to know all the factors that went into the committee's decision, but I do believe the committee realized later that they got it wrong. OU won its regional, of course, and only an improbable come-from-behind win by Alabama in game three of the Tuscaloose S.R. kept the Sooners out of the world series.

Last year's OU team was as good as any team not named Florida by the time the regular season ended. But the committee was probably influenced by the mindset that since OU gets to play the CWS so close to home, the Sooners should therefore be given a tougher path than other teams to get to the CWS. This year, the committee is apparently determined not to make the same mistake twice. JMO

I believe they've done this before seasons ago and it was quite obvious!

Looking back at last year on April 30, we were 43-7 (14-2 in Big 12) and ranked in polls #5/#4. This year on May 1, we are 41-7 (12-1 in Big 12) and are ranked #9. Last year we finished with 2 games against Utah Valley and 2 games with OSU were rained out/cancelled. This year we have 3 game series remaining with Tech, game with Tulsa and 2 games with OSU. I don't see much difference, on our part, from last year so I guess that says our opponents are playing tougher schedules this year??? RPI is just a total calculation, right? No committee input at this time?

Looking back at last year on April 30, we were 43-7 (14-2 in Big 12) and ranked in polls #5/#4. This year on May 1, we are 41-7 (12-1 in Big 12) and are ranked #9. Last year we finished with 2 games against Utah Valley and 2 games with OSU were rained out/cancelled. This year we have 3 game series remaining with Tech, game with Tulsa and 2 games with OSU. I don't see much difference, on our part, from last year so I guess that says our opponents are playing tougher schedules this year??? RPI is just a total calculation, right? No committee input at this time?

Maybe not entirely. The NCAA committee unveiled its figures Saturday (maybe not exactly the same as RPI but does indicate how the committee has the teams seeded going into the final two weeks of the season). The Sooners were the #3 team, which matches the RPI from the last two weeks. By the way, the new RPI came out today, and OU is still #3 there as well. It will be interesting to see how the ESPN and Coaches have the teams ranked when those new polls come out tomorrow.

Last year, OU was 4-6 against Top 25 teams (2-5 outside the Big 12) during the regular season. This year OU is 8-3 (5-3 outside the Big 12) against Top 25 teams. That is the RPI difference between last year and this year.

This year the Committee gave out the Top Ten on Saturday night and OU was placed #3. You can tell how important the RPI is from last year and this year's Committee ratings.

When have I ever claimed that OU's strength of schedule is "enhanced" by playing in the Big 12?

I've only attempted to interject some logic and common sense – not to mention one incontrovertible fact – to counter your insistence that the Big 12 has dragged down the Sooners' RPI. I've maintained quite correctly – and will continue to do so until I've been provided facts that prove otherwise – that playing in the Big 12 has had no adverse effect on the Sooners' RPI this season. Only two teams in all of softball have a better RPI than OU and are rated higher than the Sooners in the standings released this weekend by the NCAA Division 1 softball committee. And just one of those teams, I might add, resides in the SEC.

According to the experts (not the media), the top three programs in Division 1 softball are Florida (SEC), Michigan (Big 10) and Oklahoma (Big 12). So, am I missing something here, or did scrybe and the NCAA softball committee just run-rule those two famous Sooners, Spock and Norm?

:ez-roll::ez-roll:

Last year, OU was 4-6 against Top 25 teams (2-5 outside the Big 12) during the regular season. This year OU is 8-3 (5-3 outside the Big 12) against Top 25 teams. That is the RPI difference between last year and this year.

This year the Committee gave out the Top Ten on Saturday night and OU was placed #3. You can tell how important the RPI is from last year and this year's Committee ratings.

Thanks! I didn't search that far but it probably is the difference from last year to this year.

This week's big games:

Miss State at Kentucky
Georgia at Alabama
Florida at FSU Midweek
Arkansas at Florida
Tennessee at Ole Miss
A&M at Auburn
Washington at LSU
Rutgers at Michigan
Louisville at FSU
Oregon at Cal
Hofstra at James Madison
South Carolina at Missouri
ULM at UL Lafayette

Baylor only has one game left at Texas on May 14.

Teams that can gain a bunch in the RPI: Alabama, Georgia, FSU, A&M, Auburn, Washington, and LSU

We've still only had one B12 player of the week, right? Highway robbery.

Player of the week usually results from individual performances. If you examine the Big Twelve statistics, it is stunning that we are so dominant.

OU is third in hitting, third in home runs, third in runs scored.

OU's top three hitters are #9 (Shay), $13 (Erin), and #15 (Nicole) in the conference. OU has Erin in #4 in runs scored. No OU player is in the top four or five listed in doubles, triples, home runs, runs batted in, or slugging.

We have done it as a team and with good pitching. Also, OU has done it by not making mistakes. Teams lose games on errors.

But, if you are looking to see who will get the key hit in an OU game, it may come from anyone.

With the exception of OU, Baylor has killed the opposition, scoring lots of runs. Baylor has scored 7.47 runs per game in conference play to OU's 6.15. They are hitting 344 with 28 home runs. We are hitting 317 with 15 home runs. It's just that we hit five against Baylor to take that series.

OU won, 4-1. We had eleven hits, but two of the four runs were scored on bases loaded walks. Hatfield singled home the first run. Pendley tripled home the second. Paige allowed one unearned run and struck out nine. Pendley had a throwing error that allowed the only Tulsa run to score.

Player of the week usually results from individual performances. If you examine the Big Twelve statistics, it is stunning that we are so dominant.

OU is third in hitting, third in home runs, third in runs scored.

OU's top three hitters are #9 (Shay), $13 (Erin), and #15 (Nicole) in the conference. OU has Erin in #4 in runs scored. No OU player is in the top four or five listed in doubles, triples, home runs, runs batted in, or slugging.

We have done it as a team and with good pitching. Also, OU has done it by not making mistakes. Teams lose games on errors.

But, if you are looking to see who will get the key hit in an OU game, it may come from anyone.

With the exception of OU, Baylor has killed the opposition, scoring lots of runs. Baylor has scored 7.47 runs per game in conference play to OU's 6.15. They are hitting 344 with 28 home runs. We are hitting 317 with 15 home runs. It's just that we hit five against Baylor to take that series.

When it was posted that we had our first B12POW, I thought that did not seem right. Then I thought about it and we have so many great players that it is difficult for one to stand out in a game or two games. Probably several of our players if on a different Big12 team, would have been pow because they would have had more opportunities to shine.

And about the errors, I do miss checking the stats and recaps of half of the games, but it seems we have done great on defense. Not that all errors are on defense, just linking the two. I do think if Paige was having a year like last year, she would have been POW of the week a couple of times. Does anyone have any inside knowledge if it is just the knee (leg?) injury, that has slowed her down or if there is something else? Of course, if you aren't playing as well because of an injury it can certainly affect your mental game. Even after you recover from the injury. Still she seems to be pitching well now.
Just not sure she is back to last year's form. And it may or may not be relevant to Paige, but last year she was a freshman with a great senior class
to back her up. I believe she would have felt less pressure as a freshman.
This year I would think she would have been feeling more or maybe I am projecting if I were ever in that type of position.

I do not go to games but I am going to make every effort to go to the regionals and super regionals if they are here. I am really excited. I don't enjoy being at the WCWS as much now as I did when there were berms and it was a more friendly atmosphere. Though I know sometimes they have games and booths with promotions outside the stadium and I would love to take my great and great-great nieces and nephews, both for the activities and a game.

Will say that though when political issues are discussed on here, that I agree with few of you. And being in the minority, I can be stubborn in continuing to post though I do no like that I do that, but I do try not to make it personal; but I learn so much about softball here (and basketball, but more about softball) and I do appreciate many posts. I especially appreciate Speedy and Syb who answer my questions and also provide some good info on what is going on in the NCAA and B12 softball. And, of course, learn from posts from others and others also have been helpful with my questions. So thanks, People.

When it was posted that we had our first B12POW, I thought that did not seem right. Then I thought about it and we have so many great players that it is difficult for one to stand out in a game or two games. Probably several of our players if on a different Big12 team, would have been pow because they would have had more opportunities to shine.

And about the errors, I do miss checking the stats and recaps of half of the games, but it seems we have done great on defense. Not that all errors are on defense, just linking the two. I do think if Paige was having a year like last year, she would have been POW of the week a couple of times. Does anyone have any inside knowledge if it is just the knee (leg?) injury, that has slowed her down or if there is something else? Of course, if you aren't playing as well because of an injury it can certainly affect your mental game. Even after you recover from the injury. Still she seems to be pitching well now.
Just not sure she is back to last year's form. And it may or may not be relevant to Paige, but last year she was a freshman with a great senior class
to back her up. I believe she would have felt less pressure as a freshman.
This year I would think she would have been feeling more or maybe I am projecting if I were ever in that type of position.

I do not go to games but I am going to make every effort to go to the regionals and super regionals if they are here. I am really excited. I don't enjoy being at the WCWS as much now as I did when there were berms and it was a more friendly atmosphere. Though I know sometimes they have games and booths with promotions outside the stadium and I would love to take my great and great-great nieces and nephews, both for the activities and a game.

Will say that though when political issues are discussed on here, that I agree with few of you. And being in the minority, I can be stubborn in continuing to post though I do no like that I do that, but I do try not to make it personal; but I learn so much about softball here (and basketball, but more about softball) and I do appreciate many posts. I especially appreciate Speedy and Syb who answer my questions and also provide some good info on what is going on in the NCAA and B12 softball. And, of course, learn from posts from others and others also have been helpful with my questions. So thanks, People.

Thanks for the comments.

I will just say this: the idea that Paige Parker is not having as good a year this year as last is a MYTH.

Last Year W-28 L-7 ERA-1.65 K-224
This Year W-24 L-3 ERA-1.62 K-188

Note she has at least two more starts left before post season - maybe more. She will start at least two games in the regional and could start two in the Supers. If we are talking batting then yes Paige is not having the year and it is not worth the risk of having her on the base paths. It drove me crazy in the last couple of years to see Lauren running the bases with reckless abandon with a bad back. The risk was not worth the reward. It is not like Gasso is finding it easy to get some really good hitters some At Bats.

I believe she will end up with more wins and fewer losses with at least as good an ERA as last year. She should end up really close on Strikeouts but one has to remember, OU teaches pitchers to pitch to contact because of the defense. She can throw a lot harder than she does because accuracy and control is at a premium.

As for the POW - I agree this team has some really good players. The week Shay was POW - I would have given it to Erin Miller who had equal stats and a walk off winner vs. Texas. I think virtually everyone is playing well. That being said there is not a Lauren Chamberlain, Shelby Pendley, or Keilani Ricketts on this team. I think it means a lot that OU continues to win without the superstars.

Thanks for the comments.

I will just say this: the idea that Paige Parker is not having as good a year this year as last is a MYTH.
[/B
As for the POW - I agree this team has some really good players. The week Shay was POW - I would have given it to Erin Miller who had equal stats and a walk off winner vs. Texas. I think virtually everyone is playing well. That being said there is not a Lauren Chamberlain, Shelby Pendley, or Keilani Ricketts on this team. I think it means a lot that OU continues to win without the superstars.

I actually thought Paige Parker was a superstar last year. I remember her receiving a lot of media attention and several different awards. I thought she was probably better than Keilani after last season.

Because she hasn't received any B12POW awards, ( and I do believe
if you are a great pitcher then the fact that the rest of the team is good
is not going to deflect from how good you are because it is more an individual thing), and I hadn't seen as much said or written about her I thought she wasn't having as good of a year. It appears from the stats
you have presented that she has. It does make me curious about no POW
awards for her after having several last year.

Back