Softball

I have watched the Pride about fifteen times, and the Bandits about ten. The only thing that makes the Bandits competitive is Abbott. She is THE ace of the league right now. Ricketts is probably #2, but the Pride hitters can't hit Monica. In the recent series, Abbott and Ricketts dueled for eight innings with Ricketts having more strikeouts and fewer hits (5-1). But, with two outs in the ninth, an infield hit (error), a single, and a home run by Tay Edwards won the game for Chicago, 3-0. In the next game for each Abbott and Ricketts, it was again Abbott vs Ricketts in the series finale. In that game, Tay Edwards hit a three-run home run in the first, and Chicago won again, 4-0 (Henderson hit one in the seventh). The Pride didn't score against Abbott.

Lauren got in the habit of taking pitches this year that she should have hit, like she was getting a lot of walks. Well, you don't get a lot of walks in the pros, and a 3-0 count is not a huge disadvantage against a control pitcher, which all of them are. Lauren has to learn to swing at the first good pitch she sees. It may be the only good pitch she sees.

There is a little bit larger strike zone. But, it is also different. In college, there is a tendency to give the outside corner. In the pros, there seems to be a tendency to give the inside corner. Lauren takes all of these, and they are always strikes. She has stopped swinging at rise balls which were giving her a problem. Both Shelby and Lauren have to learn that if a pitch is over the plate with two strikes, it is always a changeup, and they really do mean a speed change. A couple throw it up there so slowly that you might hit it on the backswing. Lauren is settling down a bit. It's about time. There are only three games left in the Pride regular season.

If you want to see the best play softball, you can go to the National Pro Fastpitch website and look at their schedule. A lot of the games are televised on the internet for free. Some are on CBS cable sports. The playoffs being soon, and they may be on television a lot.

Right now, the USSSA Pride are almost a lock for the regular season title. Two wins or two Chicago losses finishes it. Akron is in third, and the Dallas Charge are fourth. The Pennsylvania Rebellion are fifth, and it would take a strong finish for them to make the four-team playoff. Next year, there will be a sixth team, probably in Houston.

The difference in the teams is really pitching depth. Chicago has the best pitcher in the league, Monica Abbott. They also have Michelle Gasoigne. But, it falls off pretty quickly after that. The USSSA Pride have about five pitchers that are pretty solid. Most teams have two, if that. The USSSA Pride is given credit for the best-hitting team in the league, but I think it is more of a factor that they are the team that doesn't have to face four good pitchers when they play a series. The Charge threw a shut out against the Pride last night, and the lineup simply couldn't hit anything she threw up there, except for Lauren. Lauren crushed some pitches, but one led to a hard out. There was one good hit by someone other than Lauren, along with a couple of quails. But, their pitcher kept the top of the Pride order in check, looking bad. Abbott does that too. But, the Pride will most likely crush the other three pitchers they see from the Charge.

Keilani's record is deceiving. She has three losses to Monica. The Pride simply can't touch her.

With a slugging percentage of .917 @PendleyShelby has been named @profastpitch Rookie of the Week.

I strongly suspect that Shelby will be the Rookie-of-the-Year. She hit her fifth and sixth home runs in the games that clinched the title for the USSSA Pride. Both were critical.

The playoffs begin August 14 (Friday):
#3 Akron Racers vs #2 Chicago Bandits
#4 Dallas Charge vs #1 USSSA Pride

They play a best of three series on August 14, 15, and 16 (if necessary). Then, the winners play each other. Last year, Akron upset the Bandits and made it to the finals, losing to the Pride.

Having Monica Abbott may make Chicago difficult to beat if she can go two games in a series. Nobody can touch her this year.

Finished tenth in hitting, second in doubles in the league (302).

Michelle has taken a job as a coach. I've thought her future was in coaching rather than playing for some time. I hope she winds up here. I wonder how long we are going to be fortunate enough to have Patti as a coach. I dont think she will leave for another job but retire from here. When is the question.

Shelby just hit a two-run home run to extend the lead to 6-3 in what might be the final game of this series, if Keilani can hold the lead.

Chicago and USSSA did complete two-game sweeps of Akron and Dallas, respectively. At least Akron did score off of Monica Abbott on a home run. I think that was the first run that she had allowed since June 11. During that time, she has locked into duels with Keilani three times, winning every one. Well, if your team can't score, you have a problem winning. Keilani outpitched her on a ten-inning game for 9 2/3 innings, getting more strikeouts and allowing fewer hits (five to one) until the last three hitters, all of whom scored the game's only runs on a three-run home run. Until then, Keilani had been the better pitcher all day. The Pride simply couldn't get a run off of Abbott. She will almost certainly pitch game one for Chicago. Cat will finally have to duel Monica. Monica has had the best of that matchup over the years, but the Pride has thrown Keilani at Abbott this year.

Monica is a 6-0 stringbean who has changed her motion. She stretches up, then bends almost double during the delivery. I think the motion confuses the hitters. She does throw 71-72. But, it is that motion which seems to get their attention.

I think Sydney was 14 or 15 for 27 in the tournament, including six of seven in the two title games against Japan. She probably had about five doubles, three triples, and a home run.

Michelle has taken a job as a coach. I've thought her future was in coaching rather than playing for some time. I hope she winds up here. I wonder how long we are going to be fortunate enough to have Patti as a coach. I dont think she will leave for another job but retire from here. When is the question.

Patti is only 53. I think she has a ways to go before retirement. No doubt Melyssa Lombardi is next in line.

Last night: game one
Chicago Bandits (Monica Abbott) 1
USSSA Pride (Cat Osterman) 0

The two teams will play again tonight at 7:00 (Oklahoma time) in a must-win game for the Pride.

The game will be televised by the CBS sports channel. I believe it's channel 221 on DirecTV. Not sure where it's located on Dish.

Back