Softball

You are so right about SEC arrogance but I felt Auburn went a little over the top in their presser. The Sooners need to win tonight which would mean we went 9-0 against the SEC this year while playing for 3 of the last 5 championships, winning twice both times against an SEC team.

However, if that happens don't expect Auburn or the SEC to be humble or respectful. It is what it is!!

I have a feeling Patty and her staff made sure that OU's players got the opportunity to watch Auburn's press conference, either live or later on tape. That should provide the Sooner players with all the motivation they need to end the series in two games. And I agree, no matter how badly we beat Auburn, we should never expect the Tigers to admit that OU winning the WCWS title was anything more than a fluke.

Something tells me that the Sooners don't need anyone else providing motivation. This the most self actualized OU sports team I think I have ever seen with the possible exception of the "everyone pulling on one rope" baseball National Championship team a while back.

Lundberg might be DH next year. Auburn is the lucky ones. If Paige was fresh. OU wins 3-0. I would give Rhodes inside pitches with runners on base. Nothing over the plate.

I am more excited about next year than I was this year. I knew we had some good freshmen coming in. But, I didn't know they would be this good. Next year, the freshman class is rated almost as highly, and I can't wait to see what contributions they make to the team. I have been hearing about Lopez and Mendes for two years. Mendes is still somewhat of a mystery. I was very impressed by Taukeiaho's sister when we played them this year. Once again, we will have a freshman who is a part of a sister act. I just want some help for Paige.

If you doubt the arrogance, go to SECW, oops ESPNW, and look at the interview with Corey Meyers after game 1.

And as for the ESPN SEC bias, page down through the stories and look at the number about SEC teams, vs. non-SEC teams. There are more stories about SEC teams than all other teams combined.

You kind of expect that. ESPN's contract is with the SEC, and, by promoting the SEC, they are promoting themselves. There is an SEC channel on ESPN, UVerse 607 on my cable (UVerse). It only has SEC, and I get all of the SEC games, year-round, in Dallas. I get more SEC coverage than Big Twelve coverage.

I don't know guys - what did you expect them to say: "They outplayed us tonight, and we don't have a chance of coming back"?

They've got to talk themselves up.

I think we start Kelsey tonight, if only for the first time through the order. Better to start Kelsey and come back to Paige if needed than start Paige and have to go to Kelsey if needed.

We last lost on April 2. Since then, we are 31-0. Auburn is 25-7.

Auburn beat Alabama once.
We beat Alabama twice.

Auburn beat LSU once.
We beat LSU once.

Auburn beat Arkansas three times.
We beat Arkansas once.

Auburn lost to Tennessee twice: 2-10, 1-12
We beat Tennessee 9-0.

Schedule? Auburn also lost two of three to A&M. A&M was 0-2 against Louisiana-Lafayette. We were 2-0 against Louisiana-Lafayette.

All signs say that OU is quite a bit better than Auburn.

But, while I think we would take two of three or sweep Auburn under normal circumstances, these are not normal circumstances. Paige has thrown four games, tough games. Auburn has no pitcher of that quality. But, they have five that really don't make any difference.

I don't know guys - what did you expect them to say: "They outplayed us tonight, and we don't have a chance of coming back"?

They've got to talk themselves up.

I think we start Kelsey tonight, if only for the first time through the order. Better to start Kelsey and come back to Paige if needed than start Paige and have to go to Kelsey if needed.

I agree with all of this, you can't say that we played perfect, they are better, and we have no chance. And I would rest Paige tonight also.

If you doubt the arrogance, go to SECW, oops ESPNW, and look at the interview with Corey Meyers after game 1.

And as for the ESPN SEC bias, page down through the stories and look at the number about SEC teams, vs. non-SEC teams. There are more stories about SEC teams than all other teams combined.

Yes, and ESPiN not only created SEC network, which they handsomely pay SEC, they are also providing LOTS of SEC programming on the regular ESPiN networks now (ESPiN, ESPiN2 and ESPiNU) much like they were promoting the LHN when it began. Now that they have ESPiN network and LHN is a money losing proposition for them, they rarely mention LHN any more. Really pathetic! Instead of providing collegiate sports programming, they are trying to promote a certain league for financial reasons instead of promoting collegiate sports as a whole.

The fact that espin is losing their a__ on the network deals with other conferences tickles me. I have no idea what the next "new thing" is but we are positioned to take advantage whenever and wherever it appears.

We haven't been hitting well in the Series.
Miller 4-14
Clifton 2-11
Knighten 8-15 two home runs
Romero 3-12 two home runs
Aviu 2-11
Pendley 2-10 triple, home run
Self 3-10
Wodach 1-13
Arnold 2-7

Only Knighten and Self are hitting 300. No doubles. We have been fortunate that we have had some timely hitting, and walks and hit batters helped. Two three-run shots didn't hurt. But, we haven't been killing the ball.

Stevens gets the start. I think we need more hitting tonight.

Miller 4-14
Clifton 2-11
Aviu 2-11
Self 3-10
Wodach 1-13
Arnold 2-7

Only Knighten and Self are hitting 300. No doubles. We have been fortunate that we have had some timely hitting, and walks and hit batters helped. Two three-run shots didn't hurt. But, we haven't been killing the ball.

Stevens gets the start. I think we need more hitting tonight.

You're right, our hitting has been decent, not great, in the WCWS. Our hitting seemed to be picking up in last night's game, but we failed to get a timely hit or two that would have upped our run total. If that ball that Sydney hit so hard with the bases loaded had found a hole, we might still be playing that game.

I'll be surprised if Paige doesn't start tonight's game.

You're right, our hitting has been decent, not great, in the WCWS. Our hitting seemed to be picking up in last night's game, but we failed to get a timely hit or two that would have upped our run total. If that ball that Sydney hit so hard with the bases loaded had found a hole, we might still be playing that game.

I'll be surprised if Paige doesn't start tonight's game.

The Softball teams twitter account had Kasey Starting

For those into such things, Auburn in 1.5 run favorites. Same Margin we were favored by last night

Miller 4-14
Clifton 2-11
Aviu 2-11
Self 3-10
Wodach 1-13
Arnold 2-7

Stevens gets the start. I think we need more hitting .

If Stevens is starting I would think that Patty's game plan is to try and get 3 innings from Kelsey then go to Paige. Patty knows what she is doing but I think it is key for OU to get a fast start and an early lead. That may be difficult with Stevens.

But we need to remember that no one expected Auburn to start Davis last night and she did a more than decent job.

Talking heads absolutely sure we're going to get hammered tonight.

Go get 'em Kelsey and ladies!!!!!

That steal looked like some stuff my 6 year old nieces team would do

Its early but Steven is throwing too many no-competitive pitches for balls. Auburn getting good contact on the ball.

Back