Softball

For certain a coach and his players should always be respectful of their opponents. When the series was over and they were defeated the tigers were appropriately respectful.

Respectful? I posted this on another board, but it is approprieate here since a goodly amount of thread space has been devoted to what I consider Auburn arrogance:
The Auburn arrogance continued after the game:

(Per the AP article that I read in Thursday's paper, after Game 3)

A tearful Kasey Cooper said the team failed Carosone: "I'm frustrated to the fact that we know we're better, but I'm more frustrated that we didn't have Emily's (Carosone) back. Emily had a bad game, and we weren't there for her, and we're better."
"We came up one run short" Auburn coach Clint Myers said. "We didn't do the little things. If we do the little things, we win 1-0."

My comment: "Hey, Clint, the other team might have had a few points in the series where THEY didn't do some of the little things, too, y'know?
I'm pretty certain that Paige probably made a mistake on the home run ball that she gave up to Rhodes, and probably would have like to have had that pitch back! Otherwise, your team might have had to absorb a shutout!"

There are ALWAYS mistakes that cause a team to win or lose, just depends on which team makes the fewest mistakes.

This series had lots of great plays by both defenses, but our defense made more key big plays. But we did see the pressure of the WCWS venue on both defenses. Both teams committed 4 errors in the three game series (1.27 e/7 innings). For the regular season we averaged 0.41 errors and Auburn 0.97.

Auburn scored fourteen runs and OU twelve. Five of OU's runs were unearned. Auburn scored only two unearned runs. (I stole the above from another post on this board, no plagiarism intended).

I'll take all of the unearned runs that the other team wants to deliver, just fewer runs that our offense has to generate.

Maybe I'm beating a dead horse, but Auburn's arrogance - even in defeat - grates on me.

I'm pretty certain you wouldn't have read those kind of quotes/excuses from the OU contingent had we lost Game 3... More likely, you'd have seen only plaudits as to the better team won, regardless of the true feelings of the person being interviewed.

Respectful? I posted this on another board, but it is approprieate here since a goodly amount of thread space has been devoted to what I consider Auburn arrogance:
I was less than impressed by Cooper's remarks. Arrogance? I don't know. I would suggest that it showed a lack of class, dignity, and self-control..

Typical of the type response I would make. You sound like today's politician taking that part of the post game presser out of context to supports your point while omitting their statements give the Sooners the credit they were due. I consider that taking out of both sides of your mouth in part my omission.

I have said in my previous post I would personally done it different than the tigers but I know I do not get to define how others show their respect. That is just one man's opinion that has about the same value as your opinion. Little to nothing. The gave OU credit and we should expect nothing more. It is not their job to put the Sooners on your pedestal.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/06/auburn_softball_3.html

Last edited:
Typical of the type response I would make. You sound like today's politician taking that part of the post game presser out of context to supports your point while omitting their statements give the Sooners the credit they were due. I consider that taking out of both sides of your mouth in part my omission.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/06/auburn_softball_3.html

If you can find any post game comments similar to the Auburn players and their coach made by Patty's players or Patty I'll be happy to drop this subject completely.

And this thread has absolutely nothing to do with politics - although our politicians could use a good dose of humility and respect for their opponents, as well.

I was less than impressed by Cooper's remarks. Arrogance? I don't know. I would suggest that it showed a lack of class, dignity, and self-control..

Well, truth be told, Auburn players had never been in that position before. But Myers had.

Well, I did like Tennille (The Captain and Tennille). But, I don't remember much else from Auburn that I thought exhibited a savior faire, perhaps even Alabama as a state, although Dr. Richard Arrington, long-time mayor of Birmingham and an OU grad (PhD in Zoology from OU) was all about class.

Neither Auburn nor Alabama seems to have a coach that has any respect for fair play.

If you can find any post game comments similar to the Auburn players and their coach made by Patty's players or Patty I'll be happy to drop this subject completely.

And this thread has absolutely nothing to do with politics - although our politicians could use a good dose of humility and respect for their opponents, as well.

Thank you!

I don't know how politics was ever brought into this discussion. Respecting everyone is not "politically correct" but is polite, humble and gracious. I guess I'm not sure what is wrong with that.

Thank you!

I don't know how politics was ever brought into this discussion. Respecting everyone is not "politically correct" but is polite, humble and gracious. I guess I'm not sure what is wrong with that.
Exactly.

What MsProud said, - - and what I said in my previous post! Sure, they of gave OU credit in some of their post game comments, (but they were STILL better than us, OK?)...

I do not remember anything similar to what came out of the Auburn camp from Patty and her players when we lost to Alabama a few years ago, OK?

Thanks for all those excellent – and accurate – posts, guys and gals. I'm still not sure where Spock came up with the PC stuff, but it simply doesn't fit this conversation.

A few folks keep letting personalities get in the way of meaningful discussions. If those of us who have been critical of Auburn had stated the opinion that the Tigers exuded only class and sportsmanship, I have no doubt that those who are currently Auburn's defenders would have taken the opposite stance.

After watching the post game 3 press conference, my opinion changed. I was on the Auburn coach's side after game 1 because what else is he supposed to Say to his team. After watching the post game presser he came off as an arrogant ass.

Last edited:

. . . . . .

Patty and her players were winners on the field, and off the field. First class program run by a first class person, representing the University in a positive way. Its no wonder that recruits want to play here.

I have to say after ranting about the home plate umpires the entire series, the home plate umpire for the final game was outstanding. That helped Paige because she was getting strike calls on her low stuff.

I too felt that the game 3 ump was giving the pitcher an extra 1" to 1-1/2" at both the top and the bottom of the strike zone. Much closed to the strike zone defined in the rule book. And Paige took advantage of it with her change/drop. She got a couple rise ball strikes that would have been balls Monday night.

OU softball: Sooners share one final moment with home crowd
http://newsok.com/sooners-share-one-final-moment-with-home-crowd/article/5503524

Channel 4 Sports: Sooners Celebrate Softball National Championship
http://kfor.com/2016/06/11/sooners-celebrate-softball-national-championship/

The Run to the Title - Relive Oklahoma's journey to the 2016 National Championship. The Sooners' title run included wins over perennial contenders Alabama, Michigan and LSU before a thrilling...
http://www.soonersports.com/fls/31000/microsites/16sb_champs/home.html?DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=31000

Last edited:
Graduating seniors:

Oregon
Koral Costa CF 412 10 46
Hailey Decker 1B 233 6 25
Alyssa Gillespie RF 294 3 24
Geri Ann Giasco LF 371 13 44
Janelle Lindvall C 326 15 54
Cheridan Hawkins RHP 24-4 1.77

UCLA
Allexis Bennett 400 0 22
Mysha Sataraka 380 15 59

Florida State
Alex Kosoff 268 0 9

Georgia
Katie Browne C 269 3 24
Alex Hugo 2B 306 9 47
Tina Iosefa 1B 355 23 87
Samantha LaZear CF 388 0 3
Kaylee Puailoa SS/3B 328 6 49
Chelsea Wilkinson P 28-9 1.93

LSU
Bianka Bell 3B 381 14 62
Kellsi Kloss C 279 10 55
Sandra Simmons 1B 379 6 33

Michigan
Aiden Falk C 315 7 42
Sierra Lawrence CF 429 11 45
Sierra Romero 2B 451 19 78
Kelsey Susalia RF 337 11 55
Sara Dreisenga P 22-1 2.24

Alabama
Andrea Hawkins RF 385 0 14
Leona Lafaele 1B 343 15 63
Haylee McCleney CF 441 5 32

Auburn
Emily Carosone 2B 399 13 67
Tiffany Howard LF 389 2 42
Jade Rhodes 1B 338 20 74
Lexi Davis RHP 6-1 2.49
Marcy Harper 7-2 3.36
Rachael Walters 4-1 1.57

Some teams are returning a lot.

Max Power,
I felt like Auburn was pretty ungracious in defeat in game 3 PC.
Too bad. Sucks to be them. :)

Max Power,
I felt like Auburn was pretty ungracious in defeat in game 3 PC.
Too bad. Sucks to be them. :)

You're right, of course. Several posters stated that the Auburn players gave OU more credit after the game three loss. But in reality, those young women and their coach were as ungracious and condescending in that final PC as before.

It's obvious to anyone who actually paid attention to what was said by the players and coaches throughout the championship series which team does and which doesn't exude class. And that speaks volumes about the culture of each program and the quality of the people who represent the two universities.

For OU's part, I thought SoonerTraveler's most recent post said it best:

"Patty and her players were winners on the field, and off the field. First class program run by a first class person, representing the University in a positive way. Its no wonder that recruits want to play here."

Glad to see the (too)brief tv coverage of the celebration. I hope SoonerSports filmed it and will put it on the website. If not, then shame on them.

I am extremely excited to see what this program does over the next few years. We have the potential to go on an amazing run. What a job Patty does on and off the field. She deserves a huge pay raise.

Back